Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Huh. Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Not that we know that she faked the harassment/hate crimes against her, but this kind of reminds me of the Azalea Cooley case:

http://wweek.com/portland/article-3799-the_perfect_victim.html

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I just read up on Dolezal. She apparently passed her adopted black brother off as her own son.

She teaches African studies at EWU, and writes for Spokane's alt-paper. She's clearly worked to improve the black community but yeah that's kind of a big deal to misrepresent yourself like it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Javid posted:

How do you fake that?

Error 404 posted:

[M]any years of my childhood can confirm, there are no black people in Coeur d'Alene the region. At all.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

When I lived in cda, there was a loving skinhead compound in Hayden Lake. I went to school with some of those assholes' kids.

On top of this lady lying, I feel pretty bad for her little brother(s?) living there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

glowing-fish posted:

So where are all these people working that they are getting paid so much that they can afford the rents? I know that in San Francisco and Seattle, it is in large part tech industry people who are making the big money, but where are the people moving to Portland finding such good jobs?

God drat I'm trying to find that picture of the extremely over-paid Nike designer outside of some Portland burger place and his quote on how he's post-style or what ever in his ridiculous tall goofy hat and awful outfit. But him, he's the reason.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Baronjutter posted:

God drat I'm trying to find that picture of the extremely over-paid Nike designer outside of some Portland burger place and his quote on how he's post-style or what ever in his ridiculous tall goofy hat and awful outfit. But him, he's the reason.

I was actually thinking about this: most talks about gentrification focus on lifestyle amenities, like people are moving to cities so they can go to bars and listen to music and eat fusion cuisine or whatever.

At least for myself, a lot of the reason to be in a big city is a lot more pragmatic: even if housing is more expensive, and jobs have higher requirements, there is a lot more fluid housing and employment. Many smaller towns don't have apartments, and when they do, its often biggg apartments, two or three bedrooms. Employment for someone with a specialized education is hard to find. So people aren't moving to cities because they are trying to be trendy: their only other option is to get a home built for a family, get a vehicle so they can drive to work, and...work in an auto parts store.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

glowing-fish posted:

I was actually thinking about this: most talks about gentrification focus on lifestyle amenities, like people are moving to cities so they can go to bars and listen to music and eat fusion cuisine or whatever.

At least for myself, a lot of the reason to be in a big city is a lot more pragmatic: even if housing is more expensive, and jobs have higher requirements, there is a lot more fluid housing and employment. Many smaller towns don't have apartments, and when they do, its often biggg apartments, two or three bedrooms. Employment for someone with a specialized education is hard to find. So people aren't moving to cities because they are trying to be trendy: their only other option is to get a home built for a family, get a vehicle so they can drive to work, and...work in an auto parts store.

that's why my ex boyfriend and i moved here about 9 years ago

nowadays moving back to eugene is looking pretty good to me because lol @ the fact that the other side of my duplex has been vacant for half a year because apparently my landlards have decided to start charging 1300 a month for it

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Ernie Muppari posted:

that's why my ex boyfriend and i moved here about 9 years ago

nowadays moving back to eugene is looking pretty good to me because lol @ the fact that the other side of my duplex has been vacant for half a year because apparently my landlards have decided to start charging 1300 a month for it

My landlord is generously offering us a 9.5% increase in rent over our last lease. He says it's generous because he should be charging 13%. The Portland real estate bubble is certainly feeling real right about now.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Javid posted:

Huh. Ok.

Still freaks me out how she manages to carry off that "light-skinned/probably mixed black woman" look so well. Well enough for me to wonder if she has some black ancestry buried in that blindingly white family of hers.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You know what I started out really mad at this woman for misrepresenting herself but in the end I can't be mad. Who in their right mind would pretend to be black in this society where black people are being gunned down in the streets. I've seen the pictures of her when she was young and she's a blond hair blue eyed white girl. Being born like that is like a ticket away from the suffering of being black a black person in America. If someone wants to pretend to be black and assume that burden when they don't have to then I say go for it and God Bless. I know all things being equal I'd never want to spend one day as a black person because it's so hard and probably dehumanizing.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

You know what I started out really mad at this woman for misrepresenting herself but in the end I can't be mad. Who in their right mind would pretend to be black in this society where black people are being gunned down in the streets. I've seen the pictures of her when she was young and she's a blond hair blue eyed white girl. Being born like that is like a ticket away from the suffering of being black a black person in America. If someone wants to pretend to be black and assume that burden when they don't have to then I say go for it and God Bless. I know all things being equal I'd never want to spend one day as a black person because it's so hard and probably dehumanizing.

People have mental health issues, some like the attention of being persecuted. I don't agree with what she did but the real problem is that she needs help, lying and pretending to be someone else is definitely not something a sane person does.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Whenever talking about any f'd up issue in America, I always start with, "There is a mental health problem in this country."

Tends to tone down the rhetoric of burning undesirable s. No one has ever argued the point.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

glowing-fish posted:

I guess I should mention it here, (although you have probably read it elsewhere, including in GBS):

Rachel Dolezal, president of the Spokane chapter of the NAACP, has apparently been pretending to be of African-American heritage for years. Its not clear if she committed any crime, but it certainly looks like she is going to be in trouble of various kinds.

Who the gently caress cares? I keep hearing this "She lied!" bullshit.

There are more important things going on in the Northwest. This isn't something that I should see on the BBC as 'breaking news' while I'm living/working on the west coast of Africa.

If you want to talk about something important, how about the Hanford tank farms? If the state really wants things done that bad, why don't they start ponying up cash for new tanks?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Because the state reps are fygm types that hate the idea of an income tax, and without an income tax we don't have enough money to pay for stuff.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I really tire of "That's not important, this is what's important!" when talking about politics.

There are a lot of important issues. We can talk about more than one.

A lady masquerading as a black person while heading up a local NAACP chapter is something worth talking about when, simultaneously, we have a guy walking into a black church and killing 9 people under the banner of blatant racism.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Bucket Joneses posted:

I really tire of "That's not important, this is what's important!" when talking about politics.

There are a lot of important issues. We can talk about more than one.

A lady masquerading as a black person while heading up a local NAACP chapter is something worth talking about when, simultaneously, we have a guy walking into a black church and killing 9 people under the banner of blatant racism.

This.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
loving charter schools. The first WA one has been "failing" for like a year but the times keeps having articles saying it's getting one more chance. Double standard much?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Like Bill Gates is going to let a charter school fail in his back yard.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So Greg McNerney is out as CEO, replaced by Dennis Muilenburg. They've been broadcasting this move for over a year now, but it's about loving time.

EDIT: It was really loving obvious too. I remember the 2013 year end finance call where they mentioned offhand that Muilenburg was going to take on a few more duties and then McNerney interrupts the dude talking to say OMG DON'T THINK I'M GOING ANYWHERE SOON NOOOOOOOW!!1!.

That was also the call where Dominic Gates asked McNerney straight up, 'Given your serious concerns over pension costs, when will you give up yours?"

Now that I think about it, his tenure ends just as the last of the pension accruals do. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 24, 2015

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
So, hot enough for you?

I guess the weather isn't up for much Debate or Discussion, but climate is. Especially since even a week or two of heat wave is going to push forward the fire season (unless we get a rainy late July, which doesn't seem too probable).

I guess the thing is, the Pacific Northwest is not seen as a really vulnerable area for climate change, compared to say, the Gulf Coast or California. But there is a lot of reasons that might be inaccurate, starting with wildfires, and then extending on to agriculture.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
There's a big wildfire ripping through the olympic national forest. I guess its dry enough that it's jumping from tree top to tree top? I don't know if that's normal or not but I don't recall ever hearing of a rainforest having a wildfire like this.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
We're also in a drought, snowpack is waaaaay low. Strawberries also came in a couple weeks early this year.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
I just moved to the Seattle area from the Bay Area of California and while I like the cost of living (I mean, relatively) and the people are a lot better, gently caress you all for not putting A/C in any of your rental properties. :devil:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Flobbster posted:

I just moved to the Seattle area from the Bay Area of California and while I like the cost of living (I mean, relatively) and the people are a lot better, gently caress you all for not putting A/C in any of your rental properties. :devil:

My parents just got a wall mounted AC unit here in Oregon because the highs were normally ~85 but we've had several days over 90 already this summer (including a big stretch this weekend).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Flobbster posted:

Get a box fan and put it in your window. Problem solved!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

glowing-fish posted:

So, hot enough for you?

I guess the weather isn't up for much Debate or Discussion, but climate is. Especially since even a week or two of heat wave is going to push forward the fire season (unless we get a rainy late July, which doesn't seem too probable).

I guess the thing is, the Pacific Northwest is not seen as a really vulnerable area for climate change, compared to say, the Gulf Coast or California. But there is a lot of reasons that might be inaccurate, starting with wildfires, and then extending on to agriculture.

Yeah, our winter was incredibly dry and warm and now we're looking at a record number of staffed wildfires, something like 28 last time I checked.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hasters posted:

Yeah, our winter was incredibly dry and warm and now we're looking at a record number of staffed wildfires, something like 28 last time I checked.

Least we're not trying to save water yet, so the fountains are still running. Might camp out in one all weekend. Went to visit my in laws though, and Lake Rooseveldt was shockingly low.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Flobbster posted:

We're so cool we don't need AC. :cool:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Flobbster posted:

We didn't use to need it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

effectual posted:

We didn't use to need it.

The Olympic Peninsula is going to be the only place on the West Coast that gets any rain in 50 years.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

IT rained pretty hard in Victoria, our water reserves are at like 95%

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Tigntink posted:

There's a big wildfire ripping through the olympic national forest. I guess its dry enough that it's jumping from tree top to tree top? I don't know if that's normal or not but I don't recall ever hearing of a rainforest having a wildfire like this.

It's everywhere. We are trying to sell some property in Alaska right now and it's sort of on hold while the Mat-Su Valley burns.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Anyone follow WA vaping news? Seattle's Bellingham annex is losing 130 of Mt. Baker Vapor's production amd shipping jobs to Mesa, AZ in anticipation of an onerous set of taxes in new regulations. I don't have details but given how batshit the weed taxes are, i'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Accretionist posted:

Anyone follow WA vaping news? Seattle's Bellingham annex is losing 130 of Mt. Baker Vapor's production amd shipping jobs to Mesa, AZ in anticipation of an onerous set of taxes in new regulations. I don't have details but given how batshit the weed taxes are, i'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

No, this is and was definitely a thing. It was the most pressing issue for Reddit when Governor Inslee did his AMA. I half expect whatever Republican that runs for governor next year to run on promises of vaping and weed for all.

Here's a news story back on March on it: http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/olympia/2015/03/16/vaping-e-cigarette-olympia-pollet/24877451/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Is it as hilarious to anyone else that the former "just legalize and tax it" stoner crew is upset that it's being taxed

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Unless a politician proposes an income tax to pay for stuff they're a useless sack of poo poo.

anthonypants posted:

Is it as hilarious to anyone else that the former "just legalize and tax it" stoner crew is upset that it's being taxed

I think they mean the e-cigs, not weed.

mod sassinator posted:

Don't worry, it's usually only this hot for like 1-2 weeks at most. Everyone buys a pair of shorts or pulls a pair out of the back of their drawers, and then in a couple weeks it's jeans and t-shirt weather until September, when it's hoodie and jean weather.

drat boy I wear shorts from April to November :duke:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm reading that the.proposed 95% sales tax on e-cig products is only down to 60% at this point. WA really needs a normal tax situation. And what's with the seemingly malicious/punitive sin taxes, anyways?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Flobbster posted:

Don't worry, it's usually only this hot for like 1-2 weeks at most. Everyone buys a pair of shorts or pulls a pair out of the back of their drawers, and then in a couple weeks it's jeans and t-shirt weather until September, when it's hoodie and jean weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
On the topic of wildfires, please remember that if you're out hiking or camping above 3500' in wilderness areas it is portable stoves only, and to check trailhead signs and ranger stations for what is and is not permissible re: open fires. I ran across some people last weekend near the Tubal Cain mine who had a rather large open campfire. With how dry the northeastern flank of the ONF is right now that could have been a lot of the Buckhorn Wilderness lost.

I don't mind being that guy, so I confronted them and they broke it up and covered it with sand.

• Locked thread