Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Big Willy Style posted:

This rules. I am working on 10mm orcs and if you are in Sydney we should play.

This is all the Warmaster I have painted, and I'm in Melbourne sadly. Which models are you using for your Orcs?

Still trying to workout how to translate the living marble/obsidian thing GW use for all their Tomb Kings to 10mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sure, or just get an oil paint from the craft store and thin it with spirit to a really thin consistency.

I would panel line first, let it dry, and then hit it with a filter. Or seal it in with gloss between layers (so you have an easier time cleaning up)

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

Sure, or just get an oil paint from the craft store and thin it with spirit to a really thin consistency.

I would panel line first, let it dry, and then hit it with a filter. Or seal it in with gloss between layers (so you have an easier time cleaning up)

Filter? I''m in Korea and not sure where to get stuff outside of Amazon, or an hour drive in traffic to get to Seoul.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
Im looking at painting some black power armour shortly and I seem to remember a sugestion for a black paint that wasnt super black. I only have Abaddon black at the moment and not being able to add shadows makes things look a bit lackluster. Something that you can still wash would be super.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Speckled Jim posted:

Im looking at painting some black power armour shortly and I seem to remember a sugestion for a black paint that wasnt super black. I only have Abaddon black at the moment and not being able to add shadows makes things look a bit lackluster. Something that you can still wash would be super.

I use Vallejo's "Black Grey" and I like the results.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Speckled Jim posted:

Reaper HD Military Grey followed by a wash of Golden Shading Grey Acrylic and then polished off with some Vallejo Matte Varnish to kill the shine.

Those Golden transparent shading acrylics are magic in a bottle if you can learn how to work with their dry time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Floppychop posted:

I use Vallejo's "Black Grey" and I like the results.

Seconded if you want a shade of black that can still be shaded.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

dishwasherlove posted:

This is all the Warmaster I have painted, and I'm in Melbourne sadly. Which models are you using for your Orcs?

Still trying to workout how to translate the living marble/obsidian thing GW use for all their Tomb Kings to 10mm.

I'm using pendraken but intend to mix some other companies models in. A friend is using hussars and mongols to make a kislev force from pendraken as well.

http://imgur.com/a/MzzJA

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Speckled Jim posted:

My favourite is Vallejo Model Color's "German Grey". It has a tiny bit of blue tint to it, that makes it look like a really rich black when shaded with a black wash.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PyroDwarf posted:

Thanks. I was going to do a panel line wash but it was late, I was tired and had a headache and wanted to finish him. I was also worried about messing everything up. I'll experiment on a dude next time.

Miniatures Painting - Summer Of Love, "I'll Experiment On A Dude Next Time." :h:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Speckled Jim posted:

RMS Noir Black is awesome for a first highlight of pure black. Pure black, Noir Black highlights, VMC German Grey edges, done.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Does anyone have any tips on painting a captured vehicle? I'm thinking of getting a T-34 for my Finnish army in Bolt Action and would like to give it the look of a hasty battlefield paint job. Something like you can still see hints of the Soviet markings underneath.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PyroDwarf posted:

Filter? I''m in Korea and not sure where to get stuff outside of Amazon, or an hour drive in traffic to get to Seoul.

You can get something from Amazon too. A filter is just a really thin paint applied over your entire model. Its basically a wash, but the intent isn’t to shade anything but rather to tint the color to give it some depth. Oils are the best for this, but you can use acrylics too.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Commissar Canuck posted:

Does anyone have any tips on painting a captured vehicle? I'm thinking of getting a T-34 for my Finnish army in Bolt Action and would like to give it the look of a hasty battlefield paint job. Something like you can still see hints of the Soviet markings underneath.

Same way we do winter camo on scale models. Paint it up with the old scheme. Use masking fluid with a piece of old sponge or whatever to dab out areas where the new paint job has pealed or flaked off. Then shoot your new scheme with heavily thinned paint. Build up layers to get the coverage and depth that you want. When you think you need one more layer... Stop! Weathering will obscure the old paint even more.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Got in the zone today and just powered through this guy. Fantastic model.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

That is some goddamn sexy marble, gaylord.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

BULBASAUR posted:

You can get something from Amazon too. A filter is just a really thin paint applied over your entire model. Its basically a wash, but the intent isn’t to shade anything but rather to tint the color to give it some depth. Oils are the best for this, but you can use acrylics too.

Having never done this is there anything weird to it. Don't have any oils to work with at the moment

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm too lazy to find my posts about this, but I re-hosted them on my lovely blog:

http://www.powerfisted.com/?p=44

TLDR: Seal your model with gloss, use synthetic brushes, clean up/thin with mineral spirit, wear a mask, takes a long time to dry so just seal it in with gloss and keep going

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

dishwasherlove posted:

Yeah that marble is somehow my fav part of that model. Great job overall of course.

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
Did the panel line thing. Can of dull coat ran out mid-application.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Anyone know how to do this paint streaking effect that this guy did on his models?

From houseofqueeg.wordpress.com .

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Hamshot posted:

Anyone know how to do this paint streaking effect that this guy did on his models?

From houseofqueeg.wordpress.com .

It's called Streaking Grime/rain marks. Several companies make it, you stripe it onto surface and then use mineral spirits to dilute it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMJVdycmJ98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJiUKx8J9Is
https://youtu.be/DQVScNpd2cI

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Awesome, cheers guy.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

That's proper nice

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

dishwasherlove posted:

Thanks. I must have started that base over from scratch about 4 times before I got to that, some very very frustrating moments where it just didn't work. I also painted this in a different way to how I normally paint and it made some of the more tedious bits much quicker while still giving the finish I wanted.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Do Citadel layer paints always need a base layer underneath them, or do people sometimes just apply them straight over the undercoat? I'm thinking of sycorax bronze in particular - I'm using it for CSM shoulderpad borders and the like and to date I've been using it without a base layer (which I guess would be Zandri Dust?). Am I being a moron?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
No - you might need to paint something under metallics though to get the proper look. In other words, silver over black looks better than silver over white. I think the Base > Layer thing was geared more toward people who don't quite grasp painting yet and don't realize that three dimensional things have depth and tone variation.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Sycorax bronze is also really thin so to get a decent amount of coverage over black you'll either be doing 30 odd layers or gooping it on really thick.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Thanks chaps.

serious gaylord posted:

Sycorax bronze is also really thin so to get a decent amount of coverage over black you'll either be doing 30 odd layers or gooping it on really thick.

Mine seems pretty thick - at least compared to something like Brass Scorpion. Anyhoo, I've painted one shoulder with Zandri Dust and will paint over with Sycorax Bronze, see if I can spot the difference.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Crosspostin' my new freeblade.

Zoinks!

Clicks for huge.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Gaylord, that marble

:eyepop:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
When stripping primer from Bones models using Simple Green concentrate, what ratio of water to concentrate works best?

Thanks!
VVV

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 24, 2015

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Unzip and Attack posted:

When stripping primer from Bones models using Simple Green concentrate, what ratio of water to concentrate works best?

I did like a 50/50 in a small gladware cup and it works for me. I know some people use it straight and it still works fine. Let it sit for 20 min and hit it with a toothbrush, then one more soak if you have some stubborn areas.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Crosspostin' my new freeblade.

Zoinks!

Clicks for huge.

Needs more flowers.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Picked up one weird trick for metallics - base your golds/bronzes on a brown rather than black underlayer.

Also, I'm gonna be flayed alive for this, but I don't like your marble :smith:. Rowboat and the metallics in particular are amazing, but I keep seeing the black streaks in the marble and they look like paint streaks.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Gaylord, how did you do your gold? I've read a bunch of tutorials and practiced a bunch but I can't seem to get it to look decent. Glazing? Drybrushing?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

serious gaylord posted:

Thanks. I must have started that base over from scratch about 4 times before I got to that, some very very frustrating moments where it just didn't work. I also painted this in a different way to how I normally paint and it made some of the more tedious bits much quicker while still giving the finish I wanted.

How did you do it? Looking at it I feel like I would probably approach that effect by sponging light gray and white over a medium gray, then painting the veins on in dark gray, but I'd be surprised if it was actually that simple to get it the way you did.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

How did you do it? Looking at it I feel like I would probably approach that effect by sponging light gray and white over a medium gray, then painting the veins on in dark gray, but I'd be surprised if it was actually that simple to get it the way you did.

But you'd be correct. There's a bit of purple glazing in patches but it's mostly dark grey base, sloppy coat of russ grey, sponge fenris grey, sponge vma pale blue grey. Paint in veins in dark reaper. Sponge again. Paint more veins. Sponge etc etc.

The gold was just tin bits, dwarf bronze, shining gold, auric gold and auric + mithril.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Awwwwwright. Deffo gonna have to give that a try one of these months, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Just to prove I'm not talking out of my rear end about the marble, I followed this tutorial on Chest of Colours (http://chestofcolors.com/how-to-paint-marble-bases/ - It's down at the moment but I've informed the site) and came up with this base:

The tutorial (my recollections are a little hazy now) advised building up the colours with repeat glazing, and the 'veins' are done in the same way. I painted a thick line of glaze before smearing off one side of it and leaving a gradient behind. The sponging can be built into the technique but I think it gives a better outcome compared to simply painting the veins on - I had tried that initially but canned it because the veins kept looking like paint-strokes. The edge-smear gradient technique is pretty much like classical watercolour, and if anyone here has had formal art training you will know what I am talking about.

Edit

This tutorial produces a similar effect to the one from CoC but the technique is actually much simpler - http://www.centerpieceminiatures.com/painting-marble-bases/

This is the original tutorial for marble (I first saw this 5+ years ago, and it's pretty much identical to serious gaylord's technique - http://hot-lead.org/advance/texturing_marble.htm

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 25, 2015