Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I find it frankly hilarious that just a page or two ago everybody was complaining that loving NINTENDO had the loving nerve to put out a Metroid game that wasn't about Samus, and when I said that was no biggie everybody told me I was insane.

Now Bungie is selling exclusives in a bundle that requires you to buy the game a second time and the game is getting lambasted everywhere from giantbomb to forbes and even other game companies are coming up with ads to take the piss out of it, and you guys think its fine and gamers are being ridiculous?

loving brilliant. :goonsay:

If you don't like Federation Force don't buy it! :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Haha, goddamn. I didn't know about this game before the interview, but that's John Romero levels of hubris. He's basically saying "suck it down, you whore, you know you want it" in less vulgar terms.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A full game is different than a bunch of animations you will forget even exist within ten seconds of trying them all but thanks for proving that vocal gamers have literally no off switch for stupid

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They're emotes you loving babies.

Edit: how dare they give an xp boost to people who are buying into the game late, these people deserve to never ever catch up to their friends.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ignite Memories posted:

They're emotes you loving babies.

Edit: how dare they give an xp boost to people who are buying into the game late, these people deserve to never ever catch up to their friends.

They're definitely missing a huge opportunity not to give people an option to buy the extra crap for a ten spot though.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

I find it frankly hilarious that just a page or two ago everybody was complaining that loving NINTENDO had the loving nerve to put out a Metroid game that wasn't about Samus, and when I said that was no biggie everybody told me I was insane.

Now Bungie is selling exclusives in a bundle that requires you to buy the game a second time and the game is getting lambasted everywhere from giantbomb to forbes and even other game companies are coming up with ads to take the piss out of it, and you guys think its fine and gamers are being ridiculous?

loving brilliant. :goonsay:

If you don't like Federation Force don't buy it! :cheeky:

If lowtax released SA DLC for ten bucks that turned every post of yours into "i'm a butt, i'm a butt, i'm a butt," I'd buy it to support the site but I wouldn't download it because I have a thing about installing redundant software

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I have absolutely no personal experience with Destiny beyond making fun of my friend who takes it super seriously but lol at defending a blatant cash grab. Yeah it's just cosmetic stuff, so loving what, but they're purposely only releasing it the way they are to milk diehard players who have been loyal to their game since the beginning.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

They're definitely missing a huge opportunity not to give people an option to buy the extra crap for a ten spot though.

No they aren't because tons of idiots will rebuy the game just to get them.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Destiny is pretty much an mmo right? There are definitely people in those games that go ape poo poo over limited edition stuff. It doesn't matter what it is, but especially if it changes your character in any way.

Hell, right now everquest launched a vanilla server, and people are paying 30bux for a cloak that is +4 wisdom. And no one would ever know you even have the ~best in slot~.

darkhand has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Jun 24, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

For now they'll get every cent out of the whales with no impulse control, then in a few months it'll be all "oh we've heard your comments, here's a special opportunity".

You know, price discrimination to gobble up all the consumer value and all that. I guess it's a brilliant move in marketing, as long as they can take the reputation hit. Which they can, because everyone else is doing it, Bungie's just being more blatant.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If lowtax released SA DLC for ten bucks that turned every post of yours into "i'm a butt, i'm a butt, i'm a butt," I'd buy it to support the site but I wouldn't download it because I have a thing about installing redundant software

Good one.

I don't get this.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Peanut President posted:

I don't get this.

The Popehat tweet is a joke. I'm not surprised you didn't get it.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Peanut President posted:

I don't get this.

The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) in the US got hacked, leaking SSNs and personal details of every person who has ever worked for the government.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I have absolutely no personal experience with Destiny beyond making fun of my friend who takes it super seriously but lol at defending a blatant cash grab. Yeah it's just cosmetic stuff, so loving what, but they're purposely only releasing it the way they are to milk diehard players who have been loyal to their game since the beginning.

No they aren't because tons of idiots will rebuy the game just to get them.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-dev-promises-loyalty-perks-after-collector/1100-6428389/

And now they're backpedaling slightly to save face, but they aren't giving early adopters the same emotes, they're giving early adopters their own emotes. Special emotes. Just for them. :shepface:

I don't exactly see the issue with the Collector's Edition bonus items, those pretty much will act as a jump-start for new players to get in the same ballpark as the people who bought the game earlier. The bonus emotes will probably still end up like $5-$10 DLC down the line. Everything else is just a cheaper bundle of DLC, which is exactly what Game of the Year editions are and every loving AAA game has those now. Like, if you're angry over bonus items (to get new players up to your level faster), emotes (that you will get to buy eventually anyway), and somebody paying less money on a bundle that you knew was going to happen, what's wrong with you

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Game company's marketing move attracts such a widespread backlash from fans and gaming media that it gets coverage in mainstream financial publications like Forbes.

Goons in Dumb Moves in Marketing thread: STOP BEING BABIES THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS THING

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

death .cab for qt posted:

Like, if you're angry over bonus items (to get new players up to your level faster), emotes (that you will get to buy eventually anyway), and somebody paying less money on a bundle that you knew was going to happen, what's wrong with you

They are MMO players. There are lots of things wrong with them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

pookel posted:

Game company's marketing move attracts such a widespread backlash from fans and gaming media that it gets coverage in mainstream financial publications like Forbes.

Goons in Dumb Moves in Marketing thread: STOP BEING BABIES THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS THING

Seriously what the gently caress goons.

Its straight Romero in the year 2015.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ah yes of course the esteemed and noted video game journalism community is up in arms about this it must surely be a serious issue

e: hey zaphod you're a total idiot and Hitchhiker's fans are proto-doctor-who weirdos

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Maybe no one cares because video games are dumb toys which have always had dumb marketing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

e: hey zaphod you're a total idiot and Hitchhiker's fans are proto-doctor-who weirdos

poo poo dude you really burned me good there. :v: Doctor Who? What filth!

Did English science fiction kill your parents or something?

Last Chance posted:

Maybe no one cares because video games are dumb toys which have always had dumb marketing

But just a few pages ago the goons were out with pitchforks over a 3DS game for kids, so that's not it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

All goons are the same. We are one hivemind, and you, the Not Goon, have discovered the hypocrisy

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Zaphod, you have a truly uncanny talent for making me roll my eyes even when I agree with you in principle.

At any rate, I think most people who enjoy video games have issues with high-priced DLC and little extras developers want to nickle and dime people with. Yes, this is not a new problem, and no, you don't have to buy these products, but I think it's silly to pretend there's nothing to be discussed there in the marketing thread.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

All goons are the same. We are one hivemind, and you, the Not Goon, have discovered the hypocrisy

Of course its not a hive mind. I'm sorry I didn't use the word "some" but you could figure it out. I could have said "guys" instead of "goons" would that make you happier?
He said nobody cares and clearly a bunch of people in this thread do. But I guess if its a game they don't like then whatever.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

That game journalism rag, Forbes.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Have we gotten to the point in the derail yet where multiple posters nonchalantly tell us how much they don't care about anything to do with video games? Even if a game company did lovely marketing and it's the lovely marketing thread?

C'moooon someone tell me how much you don't care about those stupid dumb baby toys for dumb human being babies. I need this.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

heh. video game.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Are there pics of these emojis? I cannot imagine a new smiley face that would make me want to pay real money for it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FIDEO BAMES

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'd call DLC a dumb move in marketing. It's incredibly smart in regards to bringing in new revenue and frankly, exploiting the obsessive nature of hardcore gamers. But it just looks like such a cash grab. It wasn't great at first. 2 bucks for horse armor and poo poo. But now? They have DLC that are just loving cheat codes. Pay 10 bucks and you can unlock everything. What happened to loving CHEAT codes not being built in?

It just seems like the AAA game market is really going to gently caress itself. I mean, at some point people are just gonna finally stop buying half-finished games, etc. Right?

Right?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

thewireguy posted:

Are there pics of these emojis? I cannot imagine a new smiley face that would make me want to pay real money for it.

Not emojis, I don't think (ugh, hate that term) - these are moves for characters to do in-game to interact with other players. At least, that's what my 10 minutes of reading up on this game has suggested.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'd call DLC a dumb move in marketing. It's incredibly smart in regards to bringing in new revenue and frankly, exploiting the obsessive nature of hardcore gamers. But it just looks like such a cash grab. It wasn't great at first. 2 bucks for horse armor and poo poo. But now? They have DLC that are just loving cheat codes. Pay 10 bucks and you can unlock everything. What happened to loving CHEAT codes not being built in?

It just seems like the AAA game market is really going to gently caress itself. I mean, at some point people are just gonna finally stop buying half-finished games, etc. Right?

Right?

http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Early%20Access/
:getin:

e: For a better one
http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/17/5912245/yogscast-kickstarter-failure-crowdfunding-risks
Or hell, just kickstarter.com

Postal Parcel has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Jun 25, 2015

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
You know who's willing to repeatedly pay small amounts of money for cheat access? Children.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/business/whole-foods-accused-of-overcharging-in-new-york-city-stores.html

quote:

The New York Department of Consumer Affairs accused Whole Foods Market on Wednesday of overstating the weight of some prepackaged products sold in the company’s stores in the city.

Tests of 80 different prepackaged products bought in the company’s nine New York stores showed that all were labeled with erroneous weights, the department said.

In one case, the department said consumers buying vegetable platters priced at $20 each were overcharged an average of $2.50. In another example, eight packages of chicken tenders priced at $9.99 a pound on average cost $4.13 more than they should have.

John Hempfling, chief litigator for Whole Foods, said the company had been working to address the city’s concerns since December, walking officials through its auditing and training programs and having them meet with regional executives.

Whoops! Looks like the coveted strategy of "steal from customers" didn't have quite the millenial draw they expected.

btw this is also apparently a thing with Whole Foods nationwide.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

pentyne posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/business/whole-foods-accused-of-overcharging-in-new-york-city-stores.html

Whoops! Looks like the coveted strategy of "steal from customers" didn't have quite the millenial draw they expected.

btw this is also apparently a thing with Whole Foods nationwide.

When I was in the retail industry, I got to talk to someone with Weights and Measures who came by to test our scales. He told us of how one time he caught a gas station that rigged the pumps to overcharge 15%. They confiscated his entire business and fined him something like $50,000.

Don't mess with your scales, folks.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Evilreaver posted:

When I was in the retail industry, I got to talk to someone with Weights and Measures who came by to test our scales. He told us of how one time he caught a gas station that rigged the pumps to overcharge 15%. They confiscated his entire business and fined him something like $50,000.

Don't mess with your scales, folks.

So the advice for life is: Don't gently caress with the IRS, and don't gently caress with Weights and Measures.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

KakerMix posted:

So the advice for life is: Don't gently caress with the IRS, and don't gently caress with Weights and Measures.

It's one of those really, really minor things that people will lose their loving minds over.

Case in point, after the Norman occupation of England there was a ton of local resistance and resentment against the Normans and any Norman plans. But, there was a case where a noted English coin mint was found to have been lying about the value of the coinage (replacing silver/gold with lesser metals, not saying anything) and the Normans executed everyone involved. Shockingly, very few English people were bothered by it because gently caress that, it's our money.

I think the practice comes from the expectation that people aren't going to actually weigh and measure products and instead trust the person selling them, and since Whole Foods is "luxury" foods they didn't expect their clientele to fret over a little extra here and there. Then it just snowballed to paying 20-48% more because, gently caress it, they didn't notice the smaller stuff.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Ten bucks a pound for goddamn chicken fingers is already highway robbery, so why not just tack on false labeling to go with it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Boywhiz88 posted:

Right?

Horse armour was appropriately mocked by everyone when it came out. If it was released today people would snap it right up.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Oh to be back in the days when EA released bonus cars for Need for Speed on their website. Nowadays each one would cost $10.
Bethesda also released little armor and weapon quests from time to time.

I recall another early one from the horse armor days that was roundly mocked was some Japanese air-fighting game where there were unique skins based off some anime characters. The kicker was that if no one else had brought the skins only you were able to see your pretty pink plane in deathmatches.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

How are they forcing people to do anything?!
See, if I go to the supermarket to get a bread roll for lunch, but they only sell them in packs of six, that's forcing me to buy five extra rolls I didn't want because I need a bread roll right now because I haven't eaten since breakfast and I don't want to eat any of the other foods I could buy instead.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its pretty hosed up.
Do you realise that you're talking about optional extra content in a video game?

No they aren't. They'll sell as many extra copies of the whole, full-price thing as they can now, then they'll sell all the pieces individually at full price to get even more people to buy them, then they'll sell the whole thing bundled together again but at a discount to get more people to buy it, and then they'll sell the pieces separately at a discount to get the last few stragglers.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'd call DLC a dumb move in marketing.
Only if it doesn't work (which it clearly does, very well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Only if it doesn't work (which it clearly does, very well).

Counterpoint: Evolve