Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Raymond Chandler, an influential pulp detective novelist's main protagonist was called Phillip Marlowe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CJacobs posted:

Holy poo poo no way dude you don't say
I'm sorry that I can't stand Star-Wars-Extended-Universe-like overwrought explainations for every bit of character detail in an audio-visual medium where hastily painted kitchen blenders used as sci-fi props because of budget restraints are later given painstakingly detailed backstories by fans.

However:

CJacobs posted:

edit: It probably does happen in the books though. The books have many things happen in them that would be pertinent to know in the games but just don't ever come up for reasons unknown.
I went to the Polish wiki which is obviously way more detailed than the English one and here is a rough translation:

"Originally Geralt wanted to be called Geralt Roger Eryk du Haute-Bellegarde, but his mentor witcher Vesemir advised against it. He told him to write down names of regions that sounded good and choose one at random. This is how he became Geralt of Rivia.

Geralt stated that he chose to be called like that to gain trust among people. For the same reason he learned to speak with a Rivian accent. He also stated that another reson for doing so was to have a place to identify with."

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

Everything about that scene was great

I wanna know what Eskel was doing with that goat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Romes128 posted:

I wanna know what Eskel was doing with that goat.
No, you dont.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Philthy posted:

What do you mean? I've been smashing every chick I've come in contact with.

Specifically Triss and Yen. You can bang any random chick otherwise

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Palpek posted:

I'm sorry that I can't stand Star-Wars-Extended-Universe-like overwrought explainations for every bit of character detail in an audio-visual medium where hastily painted kitchen blenders used as sci-fi props because of budget restraints are later given painstakingly detailed backstories by fans.

However:

I went to the Polish wiki which is obviously way more detailed than the English one and here is a rough translation:

"Originally Geralt wanted to be called Geralt Roger Eryk du Haute-Bellegarde, but his mentor witcher Vesemir advised against it. He told him to write down names of regions that sounded good and choose one at random. This is how he became Geralt of Rivia.

Geralt stated that he chose to be called like that to gain trust among people. For the same reason he learned to speak with a Rivian accent. He also stated that another reson for doing so was to have a place to identify with."

For that reason, I love that The Last Wish opens with some dudes in Vizima telling him that they don't like Rivians round there. :)

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I just went on a drinking binge with my Witcher buddies, ending up with prank calling some Mage in his chambers, while we are crossdressing in Yennefer's dresses.This game and that scene is just loving fantastic..

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That's the local equivalent of Pope Benedict XVI on the privy, everything else checks out correctly. Lambert's plenty hilarious by himself, but if those two just didn't chicken out when I know better than to piss off Yen...

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

GuyUpNorth posted:

That's the local equivalent of Pope Benedict XVI on the privy, everything else checks out correctly. Lambert's plenty hilarious by himself, but if those two just didn't chicken out when I know better than to piss off Yen...

Pissing off Yen is what Geralt's entire relationship with her is built on.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Slashrat posted:

Pissing off Yen is what Geralt's entire relationship with her is built on.

That and bad dog puns.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

OAquinas posted:

That and bad dog puns.

She's the best. <3 <3 <3

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Comte, I ran into one of your coworkers in bumble gently caress nowhere Armenia of all places. If you happen to know offhand which one came down here on vacation, tell 'em I said Karabakh was heavenly.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I have only just gotten to the part where Yen uses the mask and everything about her has made her seem arrogant and generally a pain in Geralt's rear end.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

radiatinglines posted:

I have only just gotten to the part where Yen uses the mask and everything about her has made her seem arrogant and generally a pain in Geralt's rear end.

That and a few things coming up are why I'm solidly on Team Triss. So she lied and used you a little. Big deal. At least she wears colors and stuff. Yen is a big old Debbie Downer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

radiatinglines posted:

That whole quest chain will sour you quite a bit on Yen most likely, and for good reason. She's kind of a dick. Her personal quest chain afterward shines a better light on her.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yen made the right choices and I would happily destroy a priceless artifact if it meant the life of one of my children.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yen made the right choices and I would happily destroy a priceless artifact if it meant the life of one of my children.
gently caress your fancy dress mask and your fuckin herb garden that's my babby

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

HELP! I've completed Now or Never and had Oliver killed before being able to play him for his card. Neither have I looked to buy cards of of him (don't know if he had any).

My OCD brain is telling me to rewind a few hours into my saves but I tried looking for information on this on the interwebs and apparently some safeguard is built in?

Where could I find this card and are the cards he sells transfered to another merchant too?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Scandalous posted:

gently caress your fancy dress mask and your fuckin herb garden that's my babby

This is literally Yen's whole rationalisation, and it makes her actions not necessarily right, but way more understandable. It's not that she doesn't care/respect the things she's messing with (though she may not care/respect them MUCH), it's that she can't let that enter into the discussion when doing things the non-morally-objectionable way may mean her little girl is captured, murdered or worse.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Scandalous posted:

it is preferable to something like "hark, 'pon the grass there lyeth a trail of scarlet, the left trigger must i hold"

This is the poo poo. New thread title right here.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CJacobs posted:

That whole quest chain will sour you quite a bit on Yen most likely, and for good reason. She's kind of a dick. Her personal quest chain afterward shines a better light on her.

she is an angry mother whose child is in danger, she is also a sorceress who gives no fucks

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

That and a few things coming up are why I'm solidly on Team Triss. So she lied and used you a little. Big deal. At least she wears colors and stuff. Yen is a big old Debbie Downer.

Yennifer has dog puns. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

she is an angry mother whose child is in danger, she is also a sorceress who gives no fucks

Try seeing it from the perspective of the guy that is trying to keep her from potentially causing a cataclysmic event that will end the entire world in that particular situation. Sure he ends up being wrong but it's the principle of the matter.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I ignore religious people ranting and raving about the end of the world on a regular basis!!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"If you gently caress with this crazy ancient special artifact with unique properties, bad poo poo is gonna happen, mark my words" is a phrase that's been said multiple times in the Witcher universe. And sometimes it's even correct to assume so!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, it was mentioned that there were other ways that could possibly help but they'd be slower. If any circumstance allows for bending/smashing the rules a bit in favor of expediency, seeking your child to help protect them from the band of interdimensional invaders who would effectively end the world if they find her first is probably in that list. Well, maybe not expressly so because that would be a pretty prescient list-writer, but still.

Edit: VV Actually, the impression and (rather clipped) admission on her part is that she doesn't really know, but she has a good feeling this will work without backfiring horribly. Probably. These things hardly ever sink/render uninhabitable entire landmasses after all.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 24, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Yeah, but Yenn knows what she's doing, have some faith.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yeah, but Yenn knows what she's doing, have some faith.

Yeah that's kind of how I felt during that whole mask thing. She isn't a dick to Geralt if you don't side with the druid every time.

CJacobs posted:

Try seeing it from the perspective of the guy that is trying to keep her from potentially causing a cataclysmic event that will end the entire world in that particular situation. Sure he ends up being wrong but it's the principle of the matter.

But maybe she knows for a fact he is wrong and only basing that off of some myth that has no bearing on anything?

She knew about the one time use thing already. Seems like she's done her research :shrug:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Is there any way to make it so that the game uses the Dwarven Spirit instead of Alcohest? I need that poo poo game, stop using it to refill my swallow and bombs

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pik_d posted:

Is there any way to make it so that the game uses the Dwarven Spirit instead of Alcohest? I need that poo poo game, stop using it to refill my swallow and bombs
I just finished the game with about 200 of each in my inventory...what do you need either one of them for?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

pik_d posted:

What is Alcohest used for other than refilling potions? I've seen Dwarven Spirit used as an alchemy ingredient sometimes but I don't think I've ever seen Alchohest used for anything else.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
It's used for some of the Enhanced potions that I had never gotten around to making. Dwarven Spirit is used for the base, and White Gull is used for the Superior ones.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I actually did run out of alcohest and started using my limited supply (150) of dwarven spirit while resting.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

You can buy infinite of either from like, every herbalist/alchemist.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fellatio del Toro posted:

You can buy infinite of either from like, every herbalist/alchemist.
Shits expensive, though. Unless you are resting after every fight I am not sure how you could run low on either of those things as long as you do a decent job looting crates, boxes, ect

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, I just finished Gremist and had to start churning out White Gull in massive quantities (I can just imagine Geralt working his Witcher still nonstop) and had to basically park in front of the innkeeper at Kaer Trolde to get enough redanian herbal, cherry cordial, and mandrake cordial....3-5 bought per merchant menu activation. It took a while :11tea:

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 24, 2015

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe the autists were right in complaining about the Mass Effect 3 endings, compared to that your choices really do matter. This was a hell of a game.

My Apologies to the north and all thousands being burned alive, I just never thought that Geralt should be a king slayer

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Can you stagger bosses? Cause I can't decide what runes to put on my swords.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Skellige's Most Wanted is really good, definitely check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Prorat posted:

My Apologies to the north and all thousands being burned alive, I just never thought that Geralt should be a king slayer

Even trying to be neutral is making a decision and picking a side. Just like irl. All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. :colbert: