Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I am getting a little concerned about how lame 1,000 tiny terminators in the shape of John Connor will be as a foe for Arnold. The police scene coupled with that parking lot scene makes it look like he's always in the vicinity of the players but not on a murderous Terminator rampage until the moment of "OMG, it's a terminator".

I don't care for that actor much either. He sucked in that Chicago PD TV show.

Hoping I am wrong as usual. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The busted leg from T1 was a career ending wound. He's a security guard at Cyberdine in T2.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

WarLocke posted:

Okay, I can't fault the cinematography or effects work. God drat that Young Arnold is spot on.

I remember how they explained away the "Arnold" in Salvation. They basically put 1984 Arnold's face on the body of a bodybuilder/actor (this dude).

But this, maybe the best CGI I've ever seen.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

WarLocke posted:

I could have sworn T2 did, because the same cop from T1 (and apparently Genysis now) was in the scene and freaks out that it's happening again.

Maybe I'm just going senile.

That was T3.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WarLocke posted:

I could have sworn T2 did, because the same cop from T1 (and apparently Genysis now) was in the scene and freaks out that it's happening again.

Maybe I'm just going senile.
You're thinking of Dr Silberman. He's the criminal psychologist who interviews Reese at the precinct in the first movie, and brushes shoulders with Arnold on his way out of the police precinct just before Arnold shoots the place up.
He comes back in T2 as a psychologist at the mental hospital where Sarah Connor is being held, and then cameos in T3.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

WarLocke posted:

Okay, I can't fault the cinematography or effects work. God drat that Young Arnold is spot on.

Something about that whole scene feels really off to me, though. It sort of feels like the digital aspects are really popping out to me. However, maybe this is a matter of my monitor and the resolution I'm watching it at, too. I've noticed I can watch some things in theaters or on BD that look really good and feel more realistic, but the divide between actors and effects stand out a lot more at lower resolutions.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milky Moor posted:

Not going to lie, I got a really stupid grin on my face during that second clip.

It's a shame the three actors are pretty drat bad, although out acting Bill Paxton was always going to be a tall order. This movie might actually be stupid enough to be worth a watch.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Something about that whole scene feels really off to me, though. It sort of feels like the digital aspects are really popping out to me. However, maybe this is a matter of my monitor and the resolution I'm watching it at, too. I've noticed I can watch some things in theaters or on BD that look really good and feel more realistic, but the divide between actors and effects stand out a lot more at lower resolutions.
It's because the lighting is flat, it's missing some shadows and it's a hair too bright.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

WarLocke posted:

I think the line is that Skynet sent the T-800 and T-1000 back at the same time, to two different points in the past. So if the T-800 fails you still have the T-1000 arriving years later to try again.

Makes you wonder what the T-1000 would have done, had the T-800 succeeded. Imagine Robert Patrick arriving in the 90s all ready to kill John Connor, but he just can't find him, ever.

edit: or does time travel not work like that? Man, gently caress time travel, gives me a headache.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Grendels Dad posted:

Makes you wonder what the T-1000 would have done, had the T-800 succeeded. Imagine Robert Patrick arriving in the 90s all ready to kill John Connor, but he just can't find him, ever.

edit: or does time travel not work like that? Man, gently caress time travel, gives me a headache.

Pure fanwank here, but I can only imagine that both models would have sub-missions like the ones in TSCC where upon completing their primary objective they could do little bits and bobs to help in the future war or help Skynet or whatever.

If you want to read more please follow my fan-fiction account at https://www.tumb...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The problem being, how would the T-1000 know that the T-800 succeeded in its mission? Or was the T-800 programmed to hang around until the T-1000 arrives and then go on wacky adventures with him?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Actually I could have sworn that in the original time line, all Skynet could muster was a single T-800. Then things changed, Skynet got WAY more advanced, because it got ahold of the original T-800 chip and arm, and it was able to create the T-1000 in a revised timeline and send THAT back instead, so knowing a regular human wouldn't be able to do the job, they reprogrammed a T-800 to try to save the past.

At least that's how I always thought it worked. Splintering timelines all the way down

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Its hard to combine Terminator and T2 like that because one is written as a closed loop and the other is more of an open-ended free-for-all. If you try to read Terminator as anything other than a closed loop then you have to get into the genetics of John Connor and that he must have had a father other than Kyle Reese in the "original" timeline.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

Its hard to combine Terminator and T2 like that because one is written as a closed loop and the other is more of an open-ended free-for-all

T1 isn't a closed loop, it's a predestination paradox. Skynet creates itself and John Connor. The timeline is getting just as trashed as in a free-for-all like Looper, just in a more subtle way.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

T1 isn't a closed loop, it's a predestination paradox.

Same thing, really. At least as far as armchair movie talk is concerned.

But yeah, T1 is fundamentally different from the rest of the franchise in that it is totally self-contained and stands alone.

I'm going to see Genisys anyway because who are we kidding, it's a goddamn Terminator movie. I'm just trying my best not to get hyped about it because the last two were total wet farts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

T1 isn't a closed loop, it's a predestination paradox. Skynet creates itself and John Connor. The timeline is getting just as trashed as in a free-for-all like Looper, just in a more subtle way.

How so? As far as I remember nothing about the timeline changes in T1. Skynet is created by humans, John Connor leads the resistance, Skynet sends Terminator back in time to kill his mother but instead ends up directly causing him to be born. That's it.

If you're referring to the chip that they find in T2, that's not established at all in T1.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's actually impressive how closed T1 is. They filmed scenes of Cyberdyne employees recovering the arm/chip and even scenes of Sarah/Kyle discussing fate and planning to blow up Cyberdyne but these were wisely excised for a tighter film.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

How so? As far as I remember nothing about the timeline changes in T1. Skynet is created by humans, John Connor leads the resistance, Skynet sends Terminator back in time to kill his mother but instead ends up directly causing him to be born. That's it.

If you're referring to the chip that they find in T2, that's not established at all in T1.

It actually is established that the T1 Terminator is responsible for Cyberdyne, in the shooting script. The big reveal was that the factory at the end of the film was Cyberdyne Systems. But it doesn't matter. Just the existence of Connor alone blows up the whole thing and is a huge change to the timeline.

But just assume for a second that there's no John Connor. Then there's no resistance, Skynet wins, Skynet doesn't have to send anything back anywhere.

But John Connor does exist, so Skynet loses, so it must send back a Terminator and Connor must send back Reese, who fathers Connor, which means that John Connor does exist, so Skynet loses...

Think of it this way: I create a time machine. At the moment I do so, a version of myself appears from 5 minutes in the future. "Take this watch," I say, handing myself a watch. "In 5 minutes, come back and hand me this watch and say these words." Of course, I do so. Don't want to blow the timeline to poo poo. Which means...that watch just appeared out of nowhere. Nobody made it and it just got conjured into being. And if you say "oh there's an "original" loop where I quickly ran out and grabbed a watch or something" then what you're actually saying is that there is multiple timelines and we're in the exact same territory as Looper or T2. "There was someone else that fathered Connor the 'first time'" is just a variant on this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I had no idea T-800s could run like that.

But hey.... NEW TIMELINEZ

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Think of it this way: I create a time machine. At the moment I do so, a version of myself appears from 5 minutes in the future. "Take this watch," I say, handing myself a watch. "In 5 minutes, come back and hand me this watch and say these words." Of course, I do so. Don't want to blow the timeline to poo poo. Which means...that watch just appeared out of nowhere. Nobody made it and it just got conjured into being. And if you say "oh there's an "original" loop where I quickly ran out and grabbed a watch or something" then what you're actually saying is that there is multiple timelines and we're in the exact same territory as Looper or T2. "There was someone else that fathered Connor the 'first time'" is just a variant on this.

Eh, not really. Since time travel is purely fictional it can work however the plot deems it to work. If the plot says that there's only ever one timeline, and time travel changes that timeline, then that's what happens in that particular media.

Not that it's all that relevant to Terminator, since T1 doesn't address it (and is a closed loop by default) and T2+ go their own way. But off the top of my head I can think of at least one example, the James P. Hogan book Time and Time Again works this way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

But John Connor does exist, so Skynet loses, so it must send back a Terminator and Connor must send back Reese, who fathers Connor, which means that John Connor does exist, so Skynet loses...

Unless I'm misunderstanding you(shooting script aside, lets talk about what made it into the film), we seem to agree that T1 is a closed loop. The portion of your post that I quoted is precisely what happens in the movie, and its a closed loop. There is no alternate timeline where John Connor doesn't exist, he always exists and Skynet always causes him to be born.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you(shooting script aside, lets talk about what made it into the film), we seem to agree that T1 is a closed loop. The portion of your post that I quoted is precisely what happens in the movie, and its a closed loop. There is no alternate timeline where John Connor doesn't exist, he always exists and Skynet always causes him to be born.

His initial objection was that the above is a predestination paradox, not a closed loop. But the terms are often used interchangeably.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

His initial objection was that the above is a predestination paradox, not a closed loop. But the terms are often used interchangeably.

Ok well I guess I have to admit my ignorance then, I don't understand what the difference is.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Thanks to all the sequels to T1, though, it seems like there are a lot of established alternate timelines despite the attempts of T1 to suggest the idea that there is an single repeated one.

Unless the events of the films are eventually established to do something like 'reset' the timelines back to a point where the T1 loop gets reset, which in turn resets the T2, T3, etc. cycles. It''s a damned Rube Goldberg rollercoaster of a space-time mechanics!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

Ok well I guess I have to admit my ignorance then, I don't understand what the difference is.

The point is that predestination and grandfather paradoxes are both wrong - they are both equally nonsense and don't work logically. Yet people always seem ok with predestination paradox...I think because it's subtler. At first glance, everything works.

Just live by Austin Powers rules, I say. Relax, and enjoy yourself. :)

Is it wrong that I kinda want to watch Genesys when it comes to Redbox just for that flawless 1984 Arnold work? I feel like if they got that part so right it has to be a sign of something good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The point is that predestination and grandfather paradoxes are both wrong - they are both equally nonsense and don't work logically. Yet people always seem ok with predestination paradox...I think because it's subtler. At first glance, everything works.

But both of those paradoxes could be considered "closed loops" right? I'm just confused as to what exactly you disagreed with in my original post. You also said the timeline in T1 gets "just as trashed" as something like Looper, which I'm not seeing at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

But both of those paradoxes could be considered "closed loops" right? I'm just confused as to what exactly you disagreed with in my original post. You also said the timeline in T1 gets "just as trashed" as something like Looper, which I'm not seeing at all.

Yes they are both basically the same thing, and so combining them is easy. "It's a new timeline and no the other poo poo didn't make any sense either." No worries dude I expressed myself extremely poorly.

Edit: When I say "the timeline gets trashed" I mean it gets massively changed, and it does. Just because the paradox resolves itself into a stable chain of causality doesn't erase the fact that it's a paradox and nonsense. It's still nonsense. It's just nonsense that you can trace in a circle from A -> B -> A -> B ...

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 24, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edit: When I say "the timeline gets trashed" I mean it gets massively changed, and it does. Just because the paradox resolves itself into a stable chain of causality doesn't erase the fact that it's a paradox and nonsense. It's still nonsense. It's just nonsense that you can trace in a circle from A -> B -> A -> B ...

Ah, yea ok that's the part I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that a timeline is established, and then later on in the film that timeline is changed. Agreed that all time travel in fiction is nonsense when you really analyze it.

Edit: Ehhhh actually maybe I still have no idea what you're saying. I'll just drop it and move on, this is probably boring everyone.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

Ah, yea ok that's the part I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that a timeline is established, and then later on in the film that timeline is changed. Agreed that all time travel in fiction is nonsense when you really analyze it.

And I realized that you were saying that it's not possible to combine the structure of the time travel narrative in T1 (with it's stable, repeating causality) with the Wild-West "gently caress it we changed the future and let's see what happens" style of T2. And you're right! Everyone is right, what a great day for CineD discussion. :)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Hmm, are these supposed to be different punks because of timeline wankery? They didn't try to match the looks that well.

Also Brian Thompson would have made an awesome Terminator

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

He plays a pretty drat good one in The X-files for several seasons.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Xenomrph posted:

You're thinking of Dr Silberman. He's the criminal psychologist who interviews Reese at the precinct in the first movie, and brushes shoulders with Arnold on his way out of the police precinct just before Arnold shoots the place up.
He comes back in T2 as a psychologist at the mental hospital where Sarah Connor is being held, and then cameos in T3.

He was also the focus of one of the best episodes of TSCC, where he's become a Judgement Day truther after finding out that Sarah Connor was right thanks to experiencing all the poo poo he does in the movies.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

david_a posted:

Hmm, are these supposed to be different punks because of timeline wankery? They didn't try to match the looks that well.

I'm surprised they even included them and didn't have old Arnold try fighting the Terminator immediately as he appeared, like the trailer implied.

david_a posted:

He kinda had that role on the early seasons of the X-Files, playing the Bounty Hunter aliens.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Genisys is getting unanimously panned in early reviews.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Immortan posted:

Not a surprise, never thought this was going to be good. My only hope has been that it's ridiculous and fun like Jupiter Ascending was.

But don't worry it must be amazing, after all as James Cameron has said this is ***THE REAL TERMINATOR 3***

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Immortan posted:

Well of course otherwise they wouldn't have had to get james cameron to say it's good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Well of course otherwise they wouldn't have had to get james cameron to say it's good.

I was on hand for a half hour Ubisoft keynote once where the ENTIRE HALF HOUR was just James Cameron and Freddie Lounds talking without pause about how visionary and outstanding Ubisoft's Avatar: The Game as going to be.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

david_a posted:

Also Brian Thompson would have maze an awesome Terminator

Isn't one of those original punks Gary Oldman?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Quoting for history books.

:awesomelon:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

No. The three punks are Bill Paxton, Brad Rearden, and Brian Thompson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

The guy with the blue spiky hair is Bill Paxton. The other two are Brian Thompson and Brad Rearden.

• Locked thread