Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Garula is DOWN with a Thief team on the second try!

Thank you, Elven Cape. And thank YOU, RNG. I seriously would have been flattened had Lenna not dodged SEVEN TIMES IN A ROW before killing the boss :stare:

Second job is Time Mage. Thief/Time Mage then. How good/bad is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Trasson posted:

If you ignore bells, harps, fists, bows, and spears, maybe. I mean, seriously. Axes are crap until you get Death Sickles which are good enough to carry you all the way to Gaia Hammer/Rune Axe/Titan's Axe/Thor's Hammer, all of which are very good endgame weapons that happen to have the downside of not being the Chicken Knife/Masamune/Defender. So I guess if you're basing a weapon class's quality off of the Walse to Ancient Library stretch, sure, they're one of the worst.

death sickle's extremely good but it's actively detrimental in two dungeons before gaia hammer (drakenvale and chunks of pyramid) and there are other options for instant death (killer bow, assassin's dagger in the lategame), the rune axe is good but if you don't have a good mag score to pass on or i guess utilize the snes underflow glitch it's not insane, titan's axe is good but you've got to either beat omniscient which is a huge pain for some team comps (i've got zerk/zerk/nin/sam, if i want to kill omniscient i've got to run out his mp and i'm playing on a ds because i want to play on my commute so even with the ether trick i'm looking at a couple hours realtime) or steal from twintania while he's charging up with the thief knife, thor's hammer comes into play threeish bosses before the literal end of the game. axes also have massive acc penalties which hurt exctremely badly on a class as slow as berserker and they've got that absolutely stupid random damage thing holding them back. they're better than bells harps and fists for sure but imo bows definitely beat them (killer bow has instant death, the elemental bows are a huge help in parts of world one, the bow that gives rapidfire is extremely great for the end of world 2) and spears are a tossup at worst.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
First time doing this: Black Mage/Zerker/Blue Mage/???? -- just blew up the karnak castle. Oops.

I decided the best way to get into this game I haven't played in 14 years is to just throw myself into it with #regRand and #berserkerrisk. Am I doing this right?

How are my odds looking for a triple crown? Any synergy/advice?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Mikl posted:

The lack of damage is going to make random battles a pin, but breaking rods will easily carry you through bosses until you get your next job.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fungah! posted:

twinlance/chicken knife is way better endgame damage than two axes. axes are imo one of the worst weapon types in the game
I'm not expecting two early mid-game axes to compete with the best weapon in the game and a pretty good late-game one.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

:siren: The chosen one is streaming :siren:

http://twitch.tv/everhate

He's level 80 now, btw.

These failures are making me sad.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

"Note that minizerker is practically impervious to physical attacks now" - Dragondarch

Minizerker died to a physical attack on Exdeath's next turn.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mikl posted:

Garula is DOWN with a Thief team on the second try!

Thank you, Elven Cape. And thank YOU, RNG. I seriously would have been flattened had Lenna not dodged SEVEN TIMES IN A ROW before killing the boss :stare:

Not gonna lie, you are going to eat poo poo for a little while with that team. Make sure you are making very good use of !Steal to get equipment ahead of time and keep your stock of hi-potions up. Your big roadblocks are going to come as Sol Cannon and Archeoavis. Depending on what you get as your fire job you may be stuck abusing Break Rods to beat Cannon, Archeoavis you are probably just going to have to take real slow.

In the endgame Thief is probably one of the best utility classes because of how easy they make it to obtain gear, and Time Mage can take care of NED on it's own, so you're going to be great once you get to World 3. With any luck you'll get strong Fire and Earth jobs so the trip there won't be so miserable. If you end up with a bard and a dancer, I'm sorry that happened. (Though if that does indeed happen, enjoy your free kills on Shinryu and Omega)

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 24, 2015

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Mirthless posted:

Not gonna lie, you are going to eat poo poo for a little while with that team. Make sure you are making very good use of !Steal to get equipment ahead of time and keep your stock of hi-potions up. Your big roadblocks are going to come as Sol Cannon and Archeoavis. Depending on what you get as your fire job you may be stuck abusing Break Rods to beat Cannon, Archeoavis you are probably just going to have to take real slow.

I discovered that Archeoavis seems to be susceptible to thunder in all forms, so he can still be cheesed if you have enough Thunder Rods.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Maleketh posted:

I discovered that Archeoavis seems to be susceptible to thunder in all forms, so he can still be cheesed if you have enough Thunder Rods.

IIRC his post-rebirth form is immune to all elemental damage, and I believe his last wall change absorbs Thunder. It's definitely possible to cheese through a significant portion of the fight with rods, and I encourage abusing this, because Archeoavis is a bitch with a low offense party.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
oh poo poo gently caress me, how am i gonna beat ex-death in his castle without some lucky sword dances.

i guess i just hope for lucky sword dances!

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

nuru posted:

How long are runs taking people?

Depends on whether or not you have four zerks on physical hardware. :allears:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Tortolia posted:

These failures are making me sad.

What's the theoretical odds on a 4zerker NED? What strategies are there and what has to go right?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Maleketh posted:

"Note that minizerker is practically impervious to physical attacks now" - Dragondarch

Minizerker died to a physical attack on Exdeath's next turn.

There is a reason why I am watching this through Livestreamer and not caring about chat and that's a good part of why.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm guessing weapon effects don't proc when you throw them? So my ancient sword is just a weaker shuriken?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Fartz! shall not be stopped!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nihilarian posted:

I'm guessing weapon effects don't proc when you throw them? So my ancient sword is just a weaker shuriken?

That is correct.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
It could also be 4000 gil! :v:

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Can't get on IRC from work any more, drat. I just blew up Karnak and unlocked my third job - Thief/Berserker/Beastmaster/? - and I know I'm going to do a lot of Catch/Release tricks as I go, but are there any semi-reliable ways to make Catch more viable? Or will it just require a lot of checking guides for HP totals and careful punches until i get the Gourd?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

gbuchold posted:

Can't get on IRC from work any more, drat. I just blew up Karnak and unlocked my third job - Thief/Berserker/Beastmaster/? - and I know I'm going to do a lot of Catch/Release tricks as I go, but are there any semi-reliable ways to make Catch more viable? Or will it just require a lot of checking guides for HP totals and careful punches until i get the Gourd?

Yes. Kill your Berserker when you're trying to catch things.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Coming back after a break yesterday doing other stuff. Is there any major chemist ingredients I should farm for in World 1 before I take off for Galuf's homeworld?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Prison Warden posted:

Coming back after a break yesterday doing other stuff. Is there any major chemist ingredients I should farm for in World 1 before I take off for Galuf's homeworld?

Turtle shells.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Edward_Tohr posted:

It could also be 4000 gil! :v:

And I thought Samurais threw gil away :smugbert:

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Third job unlocked, White Mage, Berserker, Ranger so far, it strikes me that I might be enjoying this game more if my first try wasn't a gimmick run, but it's fun either way.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Wait, I am confused, I don't see Ranger in my list of jobs.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Hahah, funny, I could have sworn I asked for a Chaos run. Because this looks oddly like the worst possible No750 team you can get.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

axelsoar posted:

Wait, I am confused, I don't see Ranger in my list of jobs.

You don't get it until Crescent Island. Just keep going forward.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Thanks, Lenna!

ampillion
Oct 29, 2014
Chalk up another death-by-Fartz for ol' NED, who once possessed this giant sequoia.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Fenrir posted:

Fartz! shall not be stopped!

Fartz! is love. Fartz! is life!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

24 now. Almost halfway there already!

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
Meanwhile, this European Färtz is going to take quite a lot of time to come to fruition...

I'm playing the game in 20 minute bursts so I don't think I'll be getting within the 50 Fartz limit but I'm having a blast none-the-less!

I had a quick look through the bestiary after killing Wing Raptor and I noticed one of the enemies in the Wind Shrine can drop Elixirs. Is it worth stopping to gather a few or should I just crack on to the next place?

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Started this yesterday and I just got my fire job of geomancer today. My team so far is knight, time mage and geomancer.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to make best use of my geomancer? I have played this game a billion times but never found them that useful outside of the instant death move in the marshlands.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
After spending way too loving long farming 99 turtle shells, it's time to unmute the game and pause my podcasts because it's Big Bridge time, motherfuckers! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0JnXdfoYpY

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Prison Warden posted:

After spending way too loving long farming 99 turtle shells, it's time to unmute the game and pause my podcasts because it's Big Bridge time, motherfuckers! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0JnXdfoYpY

I did that and I'm glad I did, because by the time I beat Omega/Shinryu/Neo, I only had about 28 left.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Ber Ser Ker Bard, with a Fartz for good measure. That's enough fiestaing for me now, though - I want to destroy this game before I can go on to do anything else.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Can someone give me advice on the Sandworm? I've got Monk, Berserker, and Summoner. I haven't gotten Ramuh yet, he's tough right now too. Breaking Thunder Rods?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

El Generico posted:

Can someone give me advice on the Sandworm? I've got Monk, Berserker, and Summoner. I haven't gotten Ramuh yet, he's tough right now too. Breaking Thunder Rods?

Kill your berserker and then fight it the normal way. Cracking a rod on its face is basically an instant win too.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Team SWORDSSWORDSSWORDSSWORDS! Knight, Ninja, Mystic Knight, Mystic NinjaSamurai

EDIT: Also rad as gently caress? Just holding A and watching enemies hemorrhage life. Yeah, get the gently caress out of my face with those missiles, Sol Cannon. Team SWORDSSWORDSSWORDSSWORDS has no time for your bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I just got Bard for my Fire job (after White Mage and Red Mage) and I'm curious - is there ever a reason, Requiem-spamming aside, to have more than one character with !Sing? I'm not sure if it's a potential way to speed up buffing by using two of the good songs at once or if it'd effectively be a waste of a character slot.

• Locked thread