Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Kaebora posted:

I've hit small walls, but the Roulettes really help - I think all together they're worth at least a 1/3 of a level if not more?

depending on which ones you do I think you can get upwards of half a level out of them. Some of them aren't worth it though, like sometimes trial roulette can give you titan hm and you'll be there for an hour for not much XP. I've been getting a lot of steps of faith from it, though, and that's usually easy enough as long as you take a second to explain what's happening for the new people (which is, coincidentally, precisely what they were aiming for with roulettes)

I usually don't bother with the guildhest and main scenario roulettes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

run lldr, hldr and main story roulettes. the exp starts to fall off a bit later but hldr and ms are still about 10% of a level each at 55 and lldr is about 15%.

guildhest is about 1% and trial about 3%.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I kind of feel bad for people running MS quests and getting MSDR people in their party, since the DRs want to finish it ASAP and skip all cutscenes and will often start battles and lock you out.

I once got Castrum in MSDR and the team finished it with 99 minutes left :aaa: Castrum isn't particularly hard but man that was actually pretty impressive.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So to those who know these things, how hard/easy is it to break into 51+ crafting if you weren't a starred gatherer/crafter to begin with? I have a bundle of 50 Crafting/Gathering classes but I never spent the money to upgrade them in 2.0. What do I do to start doing Heavensward crafting/gathering and getting gear and etc.?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Omnicrom posted:

So to those who know these things, how hard/easy is it to break into 51+ crafting if you weren't a starred gatherer/crafter to begin with? I have a bundle of 50 Crafting/Gathering classes but I never spent the money to upgrade them in 2.0. What do I do to start doing Heavensward crafting/gathering and getting gear and etc.?

at level 51 the nq generic crafting gear is a slight hair better than hq crafting/gathering af assuming no melds

at level 52 an nq tool is on par with a supra tool

until then it's kind of really lovely, you will not be hqing anything unless you put an effort into your crafting gear pre-hw

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

seiferguy posted:

I kind of feel bad for people running MS quests and getting MSDR people in their party, since the DRs want to finish it ASAP and skip all cutscenes and will often start battles and lock you out.

I once got Castrum in MSDR and the team finished it with 99 minutes left :aaa: Castrum isn't particularly hard but man that was actually pretty impressive.

I ran a Castrum yesterday where we had ONE guy doing it for the story. We were killing the second boss by the time he was done with the first boss' cutscene. I felt kind of bad, but was also impressed with out efficiency.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
Ok, I finally got back into my account! Only trouble now is the US Heavensward license I bought can't be applied to my EU account, and the EU store tells me I'm not allowed to purchase anything because I'm in the US... Been on hold with customer support for almost 50 minutes now.

Hopefully this evening when I get home I will have it resolved and can try to remember how to play the game. I remember having just got my first job crystal (warrior) and that's about it.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Velveteen posted:

The player character is so naive. Like you corner a traitor who goes "I give up" and then says he'll betray the bad guys then you go over to the quest area and he laughs going "do you really think I'll give up so easily?" then sends the enemy at you because you walked into a trap and then you beat him up along with all his friends and he has an epiphany and decides to turn himself in to the authorities. This happens multiple times! What the heck.

I choose to believe that my character is completely aware of what's happening, but just really wants to beat up some more dudes. When the bad guy gives up, that's just no fun.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Kane, got some BLM questions to field.

Are you using Thunder in your opener at all, anymore? Or just using it as filler in ice?

What does your opener look like in general? Normally I'd browse the Purostrider thread for helpful advice but right now it's mostly just :qq: over how summoners are better than us now, or people crying over movement.

Edit: After further browsing, it looks like there's some support for this opener?

Quelling Strikes > Sharpcast > Leylines > Fire 1 > Enochian + Raging Strikes > Fire 3 (Proc) > Potion > Fire 4 > Fire 4 > Fire 4 > Swiftcast + Fire > Convert > Fire 4 > Fire 4 > Fire 4 > Fire 3 Proc ( If ) > Blizzard 1 > Blizzard 4

Ignores thunder and swift+ flare in favor of making GBS threads out fire 4 as many times as possible.

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 24, 2015

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man
So apparently neither Lustrate nor Indomitability is affected by the healing boosts from Fey Illumination and Dissipation. Is that intended?

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

TooManyUzukis posted:

I really could not disagree more. The ones without pictures were pretty bog-standard yeah, but the ones with pictures (which were ones that kicked off an entire mini story arc) had pretty entertaining characters in them. Mogleo will never not be my hero.

{Same} I've been doing the ones with pictures and they're entertaining (Mor Dhona, lv54) and give some interesting background lore (I'm thinking of the ones in Churning Mist, lv55~57?). I'm assuming these characters will be making an appearance in future moogle mail quests too :D

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Should I be worried about the fact that the PS4 version of HW isn't checked on my account?

I've been playing the expansion since Friday with zero issues and just recieved my physical copy today but I don't see anything like a registration key or a way to register it on mogstation. Basically my concern is that is it possible mogstation won't recognise my PS4 copy after early access has ended?

edit: nevermind, I just started up the game and it registered it for me. :doh:

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 24, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Weissritter posted:

Seconding that holy poo poo on the final boss, it was glorious. :allears:

I want a hard mode of that fight so badly.

Zerilan posted:

Just got to 60 and finished MSQ on Monk. Really curious on how much some of the stuff will get used in endgame content, and the 58 move being a weaker invigorate feels slightly underwhelming even though it does mean I can have both, but form shift is amazing and elixir field gives us a little bit more aoe and has high enough potency to be good even on single targets.

Form Shift is a huge help in keeping stacks if you've just refreshed them and a boss is doing poo poo that makes them impossible to keep hitting, like when Minotaur dashes around at party members and in cases where timing just isn't on your side and you're going to lose stacks anyways you can at least use Tornado Kick to get a decent hit off before having to rebuild. People who go all in on mathing out the best openers and rotations to push content (Chyea?) will probably find a use for it there too.

The 58 skill definitely is underwhelming as hell. I'd rather it be a "burn 5 chakra to get GL3" since then you'd get to at least have the choice between Forbidden Chakra and that ability whereas right now there's no reason to use it unless you don't have invigorate, which you should because why would you not have invigorate (and B4B) unless you're a brand new player?

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah I gotta say a lot of the sidequests were frustrating and/or boring as poo poo, and there were so many of them and they each contributed so little to my XP bar. Fortunately that's all over with, but it's definitely not HW's strong suit.

The person who decided giving out 1/2 of the hinterlands quests 2-3 at a time, and making you run across the map for each, is an rear end in a top hat of the first degree.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Vahalla posted:

Kane, got some BLM questions to field.

Are you using Thunder in your opener at all, anymore? Or just using it as filler in ice?

What does your opener look like in general? Normally I'd browse the Purostrider thread for helpful advice but right now it's mostly just :qq: over how summoners are better than us now, or people crying over movement.

Edit: After further browsing, it looks like there's some support for this opener?

Quelling Strikes > Sharpcast > Leylines > Fire 1 > Enochian + Raging Strikes > Fire 3 (Proc) > Potion > Fire 4 > Fire 4 > Fire 4 > Swiftcast + Fire > Convert > Fire 4 > Fire 4 > Fire 4 > Fire 3 Proc ( If ) > Blizzard 1 > Blizzard 4

Ignores thunder and swift+ flare in favor of making GBS threads out fire 4 as many times as possible.

whenever I see rotations like this I worry that I'm going to have to stop using my controller b/c I am going to need all the buttons I can possibly get

for now I'm just gonna keep doing Fire 3 -> Fire -> Fire -> Fire -> Fire -> Blizzard 3 -> Thunder 2 -> repeat. four skills is probably enough for anybody

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Rainuwastaken posted:

I choose to believe that my character is completely aware of what's happening, but just really wants to beat up some more dudes. When the bad guy gives up, that's just no fun.

Well, especially by late game, after making a career of beating up primals. It's not that we're dumb, it's that by far the most efficient way to deal with enemy traps is by springing them. that way they all gather up to be set on fire.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

So, I got AST to level 41 tonight. My thoughts thus far:

*Card draw's 30 second cooldown is just long enough to forget about but short enough to feel bad about forgetting, particularly since you want to be using it the moment it comes off cooldown.

Put a hotbar next to the party bar with Draw on it, if you're having trouble keeping track of its cooldown. You absolutely should be using it on cooldown unless you already have a good card in Spread and a specific Royal Road to pop your Spread at the beginning of an upcoming boss, and even then only because it can be hard to get a specific Royal Road again when you burn it.

Obligatum VII posted:

*I'm sure the buffs are useful, but they're too subtle to really feel the impact, which means I'm left in kind of a lurch wondering how useful I'm really being with these things.

The Arrow is easily the most-notable card, which has so much power it can kind of break rotations. Enhanced Arrow + Time Dilation can take someone from a 2.40 GCD to a ~2.00 GCD for 30 seconds. This is enormous. Ewer is great to use on yourself and sometimes DRKs - otherwise, it doesn't help much. Spire is great for melees during AoE rotations. The other three are a bit less visible in their power.

Obligatum VII posted:

*My major concern for AST is staying power. They're objectively the least potent healer of the pack and they have the same awful refresh type skill as WHM without the raw potency or occasional free cast procs. No, instead, they get procs of instant casts on their cure 2 equivalent, which is really hard to reliably utilize comparatively and may often go to waste because you simply don't need it for the entire duration. If they don't get SOME kind of MP management skill in later levels that I don't know about, I'm seriously concerned for their viability in anything serious. Staying power is really important.

Their MP costs for healing are hilariously low, and their most powerful healing skill (Essential Dignity) is instant cast AND has no cost. You should almost never run out of MP in extended fights unless either a) you are using Aspected Helios a lot and are in Noct Sect, which is a Very Bad Idea, or b) some dumb DPS dies and you Swiftcast-Ascend them (about a fifth of your max MP). While their Refresh skill is rather boring, it is undeniably strong and gets stronger at Level 48. If you remember to use it constantly in MP-intensive fights rather than waiting until you're out of MP THEN using it, you should be fine for much longer than the battle will ever last due to hard enrage timers, anyway. Failing that, you still have two options: Ewer will reduce your MP costs, which is a welcome edge when losing MP, and Spear will shorten the cooldown on Luminiferous Aether, if you line it up properly.

In short, an AST running out of MP has either been trying to add to the DPS with their wet noodle attacks, or is not using the tools available to them.

It's undeniable they are the least potent healer, but Nocturnal Sect does well for potent healing by nature of an instant-cast shield, lending significant burst healing when necessary.

Obligatum VII posted:

*I feel cheated that my job quests are giving me these card skills I feel I really ought to have had from the beginning.

You actually had them, it's just story bullshittery. I know this for a fact because I took off as AST without ever even doing the first quest, because I didn't notice it existed. I still had access to several cards for certain, probably all of them.

Obligatum VII posted:

*Lightspeed is fun, but I wish the cooldown was shorter. I'm already lowering my heal potency, let me run and heal a bit more often.

Lightspeed is sort of your Surecast button. It's unhelpful as a Swiftcast button, because you should have Swiftcast anyway; however, by nature of being near-instant casts, you can not be interrupted while casting, including movement for any spell less than 3 seconds long. You can finish casting, say, Aspected Helios, while moving because it happens faster than the game decides you failed the cast because you moved. Due to the lowered potency, healing becomes extremely MP inefficient, so you should only use it when you need to absolutely guarantee two or more heals go off in quick succession. This should be a relatively rare scenario, if you're keeping on top of everything to begin with.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

whenever I see rotations like this I worry that I'm going to have to stop using my controller b/c I am going to need all the buttons I can possibly get

for now I'm just gonna keep doing Fire 3 -> Fire -> Fire -> Fire -> Fire -> Blizzard 3 -> Thunder 2 -> repeat. four skills is probably enough for anybody

There is an option to allow R2+L2 to give you a 3rd hotbar and L2+R2 a fourth that you should look into.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Jabu posted:

So apparently neither Lustrate nor Indomitability is affected by the healing boosts from Fey Illumination and Dissipation. Is that intended?

I imagine it's as intended as your faerie getting shittier as you level. Scholar is very powerful even in 3.0, but it's got some weird rough spots like that - if it is intentional, it makes Scholar/Warrior actively a bad choice.

Also, I actually got some use out of Dissipate on Bismarck EX, but it's still way too weak for what they want it to do. 3 aetherflow stacks and Divine Seal just aren't worth 2k mana and losing Embrace, even if you aren't losing your faerie's cooldowns. It needs a Faerie freecast at the end, or to restore mana (either over time or like Aetherflow).

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I have gotten absolutely poo poo luck for drops; the library after like 6 runs only ever dropped the tanking hands 3 times, and my running total on the expert dungeons is the tank ring 3 times and on the last run, tank feet.

As such my gear is awful and I can barely survive in Defiance never mind playing for real and all my dreams are dying :cry:

Tanaka has forsaken me. How many Expert runs until I have a full set of Law gear? :smith:

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I got the monk's bard hat. The new clothing options are actually really impressive for even the level up gear

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

There is an option to allow R2+L2 to give you a 3rd hotbar and L2+R2 a fourth that you should look into.

This is helpful, but you now have 33 actions, not counting limit break, to 32 buttons.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

BERGfu posted:

I got the monk's bard hat. The new clothing options are actually really impressive for even the level up gear

I'm really glad that level up gear looks and fancy in 3.0, because it means I won't look like a dork in cinematics. :sparkles:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Bobfly posted:

This is helpful, but you now have 33 actions, not counting limit break, to 32 buttons.

I'm only counting 32?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Boten Anna posted:

I have gotten absolutely poo poo luck for drops; the library after like 6 runs only ever dropped the tanking hands 3 times, and my running total on the expert dungeons is the tank ring 3 times and on the last run, tank feet.

As such my gear is awful and I can barely survive in Defiance never mind playing for real and all my dreams are dying :cry:

Tanaka has forsaken me. How many Expert runs until I have a full set of Law gear? :smith:

From 50-60, I didn't see a single healing chest or gloves. I was still in Ironworks gloves until I bought the i150 gloves.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Saigyouji posted:

From 50-60, I didn't see a single healing chest or gloves. I was still in Ironworks gloves until I bought the i150 gloves.

you weren't looking very hard considering there's mandatory chests from the msq

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

bleuraindrops posted:

{Same} I've been doing the ones with pictures and they're entertaining (Mor Dhona, lv54) and give some interesting background lore (I'm thinking of the ones in Churning Mist, lv55~57?). I'm assuming these characters will be making an appearance in future moogle mail quests too :D

I think we'll see them in the new beast tribe quests. Considering (very light non-story spoilers)we've got goblins, vanu, gnath and moogles each in their own separate zone, it seems fair to assume they're setting up the next wave of beast tribe dailies.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So I've been playing with MCH and can we talk about this rotation a bit? It's bonkers. Since none of your 1 2 3 needs to be done in order, you actually want to set it up in a way where you can get loops of procs going without ever terminating the loop or backpedalling so you're firing a shot that procs the next shot while the next shot is already proc'd... So am I insane or is the optimal Ammo Rotation 2 1 3 2 3 2 1 3? I imagine you'd attempt something like this even with reload on cooldown but man, that's a weird thing to keep track of while also worrying about Hot Shot, Lead Shot, Off GCDs and Autoturrets

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Rei_ posted:

So I've been playing with MCH and can we talk about this rotation a bit? It's bonkers. Since none of your 1 2 3 needs to be done in order, you actually want to set it up in a way where you can get loops of procs going without ever terminating the loop or backpedalling so you're firing a shot that procs the next shot while the next shot is already proc'd... So am I insane or is the optimal Ammo Rotation 2 1 3 2 3 2 1 3? I imagine you'd attempt something like this even with reload on cooldown but man, that's a weird thing to keep track of while also worrying about Hot Shot, Lead Shot, Off GCDs and Autoturrets

1-2-3-1-2-1 assuming you have 6 ammo 5+1 from quick

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

sword_man.gif posted:

you weren't looking very hard considering there's mandatory chests from the msq

I meant dungeon chests. The last MSQ healing chest is i139.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

That sounds like it works too, my loving brain starts melting when I think of how to optimize MCH and I picked up DRG's full rotation after like a single dungeon.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm still working on the pre-expansion msq (got distracted by Steam Sale), and I noticed in the progression guide that a couple parts involve 8-man dungeons. Is anyone else finding it difficult to fill queues with everyone working on new content, or has this not been an issue?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

quote not edit.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Rei_ posted:

you have 5+1 ammo, and you want to spend them on 1 or 2 whenever possible There's several combinations that leave you only wasting 1 ammo on clean shot.

reload 12312 quick 1
quick 2 3 reload 12132

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Rei_ posted:

That sounds like it works too, my loving brain starts melting when I think of how to optimize MCH and I picked up DRG's full rotation after like a single dungeon.

It's really not worth it but assuming you have gauss barrel up I do the following

Turret buff as tank goes in

Hot>Quick>Split>Hawkeye>Slug>BFB+Raging>Lead>Reload>Split>Wildfire>(Slug or Clean)>Gauss+Reassemble>Slug or clean>Head Graze+Blank>Split>Rapid fire

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm still working on the pre-expansion msq (got distracted by Steam Sale), and I noticed in the progression guide that a couple parts involve 8-man dungeons. Is anyone else finding it difficult to fill queues with everyone working on new content, or has this not been an issue?

The roulette for those two dungeons is being used constantly by 50+s right now, because it gives a huge chunk of exp. You'll be fine.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hit 60 in fsh last night, all ready for the next Dragon's Deep. As far as I can tell, it's currently impossible to get a fishing rod better than a Lucis without crafting, so that plus rightside are gonna have to wait until crafters and gatherers get their act together. Scrips handle leftside of course.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

Yeah I ended up in, and still have, a bunch of vendor garbage from one of the friendly allagan balls of vending.

That said, complaining works! After posting this I did expert roulette and while a 5th tank ring dropped, the tank chest dropped too and I blew past enough Law tomes to get a weapon. Maybe I can use Deliverance sometimes now! :unsmith:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Saigyouji posted:

I meant dungeon chests. The last MSQ healing chest is i139.

And at level 58 you can get a full set of i145 gear from side quests you're likely going to be running anyways. The chest is either given in a quest after the weapon or in a quest you can pick up at the same time.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Vahalla posted:

T3 Precast on pull, T1 filler during ice if possible.

quote:

What does your opener look like in general?

T3 precast -> Leylines -> F3 -> Raging, Sharpcast -> F1 -> F4 -> F4 -> F3 proc (Swiftcast) -> F4 -> F4 -> F4 -> ice

Ice is B3 -> T1/B4 depending on timer and MP

E: Thundercloud is not worth it unless it ticked thrice. Swiftcast Flare is dead . Swiftcast is now a DPS cooldown if used during a proc (ie F3 proc (Swiftcast) -> F4), so using it on Flare has very few very specific reasons.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

I killed those by kiting them a bunch and firing off Painflares and Deathflares

• Locked thread