Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fibby Boy posted:

K so my dumbass entered a cooking competition at my work (Target). The competition is special in that the rules are:

-10 dollar pending limit
-All ingredients must come from Target
-Spices are allowed to be from elsewhere

Can you do a desert? Because if you have graham crackers, cream cheese and frozen (or dried will work too) fruit, all I'm seeing is an excuse to make cheesecake with some sort of fruit compote on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fibby Boy posted:

K so my dumbass entered a cooking competition at my work (Target). The competition is special in that the rules are:

-10 dollar pending limit

Normally this wouldn't be a problem but our grocery section is hilariously tiny. Two fridges, a freezer, and three dry goods shelves tiny. And those two fridges are a milk fetishists wet dream. The competition is happening friday and I learned today that someone else is doing the exact same thing I was planning on doing (baked mac and cheese w/ bacon and bread topping). So instead of doing the same thing I wanna do something else. Problem is I'm coming up with a blank. Was hoping I could get a couple ideas from more experienced people here.

For an idea of what I have to work with, the only meats in my store are bacon, pre packaged deli turkey slices, canned chicken, and canned tuna. We also have eggs, colby jack/provolone/shredded cheddar cheese, kraft singles, a whole shelf of canned soups, only three kinds of canned vegetables (corn, green beans, black beans), canned tomatoes, white/brown sugar, molasses, marshmallows, pre packaged mac and cheese, velveeta, and dry elbow pasta.

Honestly I was gonna attempt a super ghetto tomato bisque until I realized it'd be mostly powder spices. Any help is much appreciated.

Do you only have dry elbow pasta? No spaghetti or linguine noodles? Because with bacon and eggs you could probably get some carbonara going. I don't see that working out too great with elbow noodles though.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Fibby Boy posted:

-10 dollar pending limit

eggs

Do you have other baking staples like butter and flour? I'm thinking pastries of some sort can work. With that plus sugar you have a large number of options with a few staple ingredients.

-Hamentashen (jewish pastries filled with fruit, can use some kind of nice jam)
-Gougeres (puff paste with cheese, could maybe put bacon in it?) These can be a bit eggy though
-Palmiers (fancy sweetened puff pastry)
-Some kind of dumpling (Not sure what you'd fill it with though)

And with just sugar you can make some kind of candy, maybe caramels since they don't need much flavoring. That would require whipping cream and butter probably.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Fibby Boy posted:

For an idea of what I have to work with, .... canned chicken .... cheese
You know what you need to do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fibby Boy posted:

-10 dollar pending limit

Normally this wouldn't be a problem but our grocery section is hilariously tiny. Two fridges, a freezer, and three dry goods shelves tiny. And those two fridges are a milk fetishists wet dream. The competition is happening friday and I learned today that someone else is doing the exact same thing I was planning on doing (baked mac and cheese w/ bacon and bread topping). So instead of doing the same thing I wanna do something else. Problem is I'm coming up with a blank. Was hoping I could get a couple ideas from more experienced people here.

For an idea of what I have to work with, the only meats in my store are bacon, pre packaged deli turkey slices, canned chicken, and canned tuna. We also have eggs, colby jack/provolone/shredded cheddar cheese, kraft singles, a whole shelf of canned soups, only three kinds of canned vegetables (corn, green beans, black beans), canned tomatoes, white/brown sugar, molasses, marshmallows, pre packaged mac and cheese, velveeta, and dry elbow pasta.

Honestly I was gonna attempt a super ghetto tomato bisque until I realized it'd be mostly powder spices. Any help is much appreciated.

No frozen fish section at your Target? You could do a very simple, inexpensive, guaranteed to be good tilapia in lemon butter sauce with rice and capers. I think you can buy a whole bag of filets for like $5-6.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Can you do a desert? Because if you have graham crackers, cream cheese and frozen (or dried will work too) fruit, all I'm seeing is an excuse to make cheesecake with some sort of fruit compote on top.

I can do whatever. But the only fruit we carry are in the little pineapple cups and canned peaches. Otherwise I would've been all over some kind of cake.

That Works posted:

Do you only have dry elbow pasta? No spaghetti or linguine noodles? Because with bacon and eggs you could probably get some carbonara going. I don't see that working out too great with elbow noodles though.

We've got dry bowties and spaghetti too. Never made a carbonara before so I'm interested in this one.

Eeyo posted:

Do you have other baking staples like butter and flour? I'm thinking pastries of some sort can work. With that plus sugar you have a large number of options with a few staple ingredients.

-Hamentashen (jewish pastries filled with fruit, can use some kind of nice jam)
-Gougeres (puff paste with cheese, could maybe put bacon in it?) These can be a bit eggy though
-Palmiers (fancy sweetened puff pastry)
-Some kind of dumpling (Not sure what you'd fill it with though)

And with just sugar you can make some kind of candy, maybe caramels since they don't need much flavoring. That would require whipping cream and butter probably.

Only other baking staples we have is baking soda and vanilla extract. Market section is shameful.

Semprini posted:

You know what you need to do.

If I could pull off a convincing chicken cheese with just canned chicken and cheese then I'd be so proud of myself. I'll keep this in mind though.

exquisite tea posted:

No frozen fish section at your Target? You could do a very simple, inexpensive, guaranteed to be good tilapia in lemon butter sauce with rice and capers. I think you can buy a whole bag of filets for like $5-6.

No frozen fish. Canned tuna is the closest we have.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fibby Boy posted:

We've got dry bowties and spaghetti too. Never made a carbonara before so I'm interested in this one.

Can you use fresh garlic, or do you have to use powdered? Powdered will work, but fresh is better. Do you have even pre-shredded parmesan? I'm not sure what would work best out of the colby/provolone/cheddar.

Carbonara is amazing, that's my vote.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Can you use fresh garlic, or do you have to use powdered? Powdered will work, but fresh is better. Do you have even pre-shredded parmesan? I'm not sure what would work best out of the colby/provolone/cheddar.

Carbonara is amazing, that's my vote.

I'd have to use powdered since we don't sell garlic of any kind. Not even entirely sure if we have parmesan cheese.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fibby Boy posted:

I can do whatever. But the only fruit we carry are in the little pineapple cups and canned peaches. Otherwise I would've been all over some kind of cake.

You have no dried fruit? Not even like, raisins? Because this actually looks pretty good. http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/sour-cream-rum-raisin-cheesecake/3378743d-f04f-43ab-9aef-fd9aad6ac847

Or just a nice cheesecake with one of the Archer Farms preserves on top. I remember really liking the Tart Cherry stuff.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fibby Boy posted:

Only other baking staples we have is baking soda and vanilla extract. Market section is shameful.

If I could pull off a convincing chicken cheese with just canned chicken and cheese then I'd be so proud of myself. I'll keep this in mind though.

No frozen fish. Canned tuna is the closest we have.

Pretty sure there is a carbonara recipe or two on the GWS wiki. I'd practice it at least once beforehand though

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I wager no one here frequents BYOB but a fun cooking thread has lived there for some time. Take a look if you're of a mood.

The BYOB Fine Dining Effortpost Funhouse

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
That forum looks too much like fyad tho

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
It isn't really. And that thread is generally conversational in a normal way. There are some good effortposts in there and not just by me.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I made these beans and they were/are delicious, but too spicy for me. I'd probably be happy with about 1/2 a jalapeno worth of spice. Should I just buy a jalapeno and only put half in, or is there a different kind of pepper that would let me use the whole thing?

Happy accident, though. The beans being so spicy means that they're lasting a lot longer, because I have to serve them with a ton of rice.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A serrano might be a good substitute, but it might be less than 1/2 a jalapeno's heat. Depends on how potent your peppers are.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I made these beans and they were/are delicious, but too spicy for me. I'd probably be happy with about 1/2 a jalapeno worth of spice. Should I just buy a jalapeno and only put half in, or is there a different kind of pepper that would let me use the whole thing?

Happy accident, though. The beans being so spicy means that they're lasting a lot longer, because I have to serve them with a ton of rice.

Go ahead and just use half a jalapeno if the flavor's mainly what you want. I'd maybe pick up a poblano instead, though - they range in intensity, but are generally much less hot than jalapenos. Most peppers vary in heat quite a bit, though; one way to tell the heat is by eating a tiny stub from the end of the pepper. Make sure you're deseeding and deribbing the peppers if you want less heat; a lot of the heat comes from the ridge that the seeds grow on. You can also rinse them to remove even more capsaicin.

taqueso posted:

A serrano might be a good substitute, but it might be less than 1/2 a jalapeno's heat. Depends on how potent your peppers are.

wait, what? Every serrano I've bought has been like 3-4x the heat of a jalapeno...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

wait, what? Every serrano I've bought has been like 3-4x the heat of a jalapeno...
I'm in the midwest, maybe my serranos are junk. I got dud habeneros at safeway the other day.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Serranos ought to be quite a bit spicier, yes.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
For the picky, non salad, non salad dressing lover besides putting spinach into a protein shake, a lasagna, on a burger/sub how can I incorporate in into my daily diet because I tried eating it raw with some of my meals and found it insanely hard to choke down. Can I please have some recommendations?

The one and only green I really enjoy and can eat raw is snap peas which I should start buying more of.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You can also rinse them to remove even more capsaicin.

Huh? Capsaicin isn't water-soluble so would rinsing really do anything?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Yeh I don't know what rinsing is supposed to do beyond making sure seeds and removed membrane are actually removed

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

That Works posted:

Pretty sure there is a carbonara recipe or two on the GWS wiki. I'd practice it at least once beforehand though

There's one real carbonara recipe on the wiki, and one that is disgusting

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I was about to ask what's disgusting about real carbonara, as that's on the goonswithspoons.com home page. But then I found one with cream, dried italian herbs and white wine.
I was hoping that to have a recipe on GWS.com there would be some standards needed...

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Yeh I don't know what rinsing is supposed to do beyond making sure seeds and removed membrane are actually removed

I think that's the point.

Side story -- back in the day we would make 10-15 pounds of pickled fresno chiles at a time in the restaurant, and we would dump them into two inverted perf pans (think like a giant rectangular tea ball) and blast them with a spray-hose to knock out all the seeds. So if capsaicin was water soluble, it would just wash down the drain and it wouldn't flood the kitchen with a death cloud -- but it's not so it did, and we would all hack a lung for a solid five minutes.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Adult Sword Owner posted:

You hit the nail on the head, but you were looking away.

E: don't blast them with a pressure sprayer or something, just run your fingers over them under the faucet.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Go ahead and just use half a jalapeno if the flavor's mainly what you want. I'd maybe pick up a poblano instead, though - they range in intensity, but are generally much less hot than jalapenos. Most peppers vary in heat quite a bit, though; one way to tell the heat is by eating a tiny stub from the end of the pepper. Make sure you're deseeding and deribbing the peppers if you want less heat; a lot of the heat comes from the ridge that the seeds grow on. You can also rinse them to remove even more capsaicin.

It's probably the ridges. I knew to core it and seed it, but not to take out the ridges. Next time I'll put in one de-ridged, seeded, and cored. That should be better.

Yeah, the GWS wiki doesn't seem to have standards. There was a steak recipe that recommended Olive oil for the fat. It was like I set off a smoke bomb.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BraveUlysses posted:

There's one real carbonara recipe on the wiki, and one that is disgusting

True, the other one without cream is gross.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

whatupdet posted:

For the picky, non salad, non salad dressing lover besides putting spinach into a protein shake, a lasagna, on a burger/sub how can I incorporate in into my daily diet because I tried eating it raw with some of my meals and found it insanely hard to choke down. Can I please have some recommendations?

The one and only green I really enjoy and can eat raw is snap peas which I should start buying more of.

Sauteeing it is much better, I can't take raw spinach either. Easiest thing to do is heat some oil in a pan, add some chopped garlic and let it cook until it smells awesome and has browned a little. Then add spinach and keep moving it around. It cooks super fast. When everything is wilted and covered in oil and garlic, take it out and eat it. I actually like this even better with chard, because I still kinda don't like the mouthfeel of cooked spinach.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I never remove anything from my chilis (chilies? chiles?), seeds or membranes. I've read that removing seeds can make them less hot, but I don't care about that. Never knew you were supposed to get rid of the membranes. (I remove both from bell peppers.) Am I peppering wrong?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

You only need to do it if you don't want full heat. At least for me, seed removal is done because I don't want to be chewing on seeds. They don't actually add that much heat, it's the membrane that's the biggest offender.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
I plan on making ricotta cheesecake soon. I'm going to a local farm to buy raw milk to make the ricotta myself and everything. I've made some delicious cheesecakes in the past so I'm pretty serious about it, but never a ricotta cheesecake. I'll definitely be baking it on top of a pan with water so it doesn't crack, but are there any other tips or ideas that anyone has?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

d3rt posted:

True, the other one without cream is gross.

No, this recipe is true and correct and delicious. If you think it's gross, you made it wrong and scrambled the egg or something.

It's true that the site could use some cleanup though. Maybe a GBS Cooking archive.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

guppy posted:

I never remove anything from my chilis (chilies? chiles?), seeds or membranes. I've read that removing seeds can make them less hot, but I don't care about that. Never knew you were supposed to get rid of the membranes. (I remove both from bell peppers.) Am I peppering wrong?
Most of the capsaicin in a pepper is actually in the mucilage---the slimy poo poo around the seeds---rather than the seeds themselves or in the pith. But if you want to lower the heat it's easier just to scrape it all out.

If you don't give a poo poo about the heat you can leave it all in unless you're planning on stuffing them or something like that. A whole pepper and one that's been cleaned out have different presentation and mouthfeel, though---the pith is going to be spongier than the meat of the pepper, and on the plate it won't be as brightly coloured. If you give a poo poo about that kind of thing. The pith also tends to be more bitter than the rest of the pepper. I don't find this to be much of an issue with an earthy pepper like a jalapeņo, but I find it more noticeable with a fruity pepper like a habanero. And I might not give a poo poo in an application (like a sambal or something) where I wanted all the heat and didn't care if it was pretty, but might where I didn't care as much about the heat and wanted a better presentation and narrower flavour profile (habanero ice cream or jelly).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Drink and Fight posted:

No, this recipe is true and correct and delicious. If you think it's gross, you made it wrong and scrambled the egg or something.

raw eggs, no cream and no canned peas. doesn't sound very authentic to me.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

whatupdet posted:

For non-salad spinach I like saag paneer but I'm not sure if that's something you want to try if you're otherwise picky. I'm too forgetful to sautee it properly like the other goon mentioned, but it is amazing.

If you're looking for other greens you can follow the same procedure with any leafy green, those the bigger/tougher greens can be more bitter. But you can lemon too. Roasted brussel sprouts is how I got my dad and brother, who are notoriously picky, to eat a green once in a while when I lived at home.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I'm making seafood pasta salad for dinner tonight, and the recipe calls for me to boil (for 2 minutes) first the shrimp, then the squid. Is this the best way to cook shrimp and squid for flavor and texture? Most sources recommend frying the squid very quickly in a very hot pan, and wouldn't the shrimp be better if I poached them in butter?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Brady posted:

I plan on making ricotta cheesecake soon. I'm going to a local farm to buy raw milk to make the ricotta myself and everything. I've made some delicious cheesecakes in the past so I'm pretty serious about it, but never a ricotta cheesecake. I'll definitely be baking it on top of a pan with water so it doesn't crack, but are there any other tips or ideas that anyone has?

Are you using an acid-fix or rennet? If you're doing acid fixed cheese, add the acid SLOWLY, and do not add more until you are sure your milk has come to and gone beyond curdling temperature without reaction. Over-acidifying will destroy the curdle. Stir constantly, Oh, use a good, accurate thermometer, heat slowly. It will be agonizing.

Use only fresh and new cheesecloth.

Reserve the whey, chill in fridge, and enjoy as a delightfully savory and refreshing summer drink full of vitamins and protein.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I let my water kefir grains die like a dumbass, so I bought a bottle with live cultures. Can I just strain out the stuff at the bottom and regrow that in sugar water? They aren't as large as in the kefir I homemade, but it's pretty murky.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

d3rt posted:

raw eggs, no cream and no canned peas. doesn't sound very authentic to me.
I'm pretty sure there's no trolling in this thread. Please stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Mr. Wookums posted:

I'm pretty sure there's no trolling in this thread. Please stop.

Responding to someone that didn't get the joke with more comedy isn't trolling.