Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

BULBASAUR posted:

The major problem they have is poor creative direction. Most of their voice actors are talented people- they just get miscast and poorly directed. That puts the blame squarely at their creative department. It's been this way for many years so don't expect it to change any time soon.

And just like coriander's a decent spice if you know how to use it (but you can't just throw it in a hole in the ground and expect something good to come out), you can't put Liam Neeson in a hole in the ground and expect a good game to pop out.

That's a Monster Brew reference if you don't already realize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think Christopher Plummer and Max Von Sydow were both alright. Actually, Patrick Stewart was okay too, it's just Liam Neeson and Sean Bean who phone it in (well, and Mathew Perry, Christ). It'd be interesting if they got some actual voice actors, but I imagine the problem with getting someone who puts on multiple voices is that it doesn't work when you transition to the "I'm going to kill you!" lines.

BULBASAUR posted:

Also if its the first time they're doing this kind of thing it's definitely going to show :downs:

I don't think anyone was suggesting otherwise :confused:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Heck, just hire Billy West to do all the voices, and when people go into combat, they all sound like Zoidberg. Mon-ster brew! Mon-ster brew!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
:downs: is my reaction to "hey we put a relatively new guy in charge of one of our flagship titles"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bicyclops posted:

Heck, just hire Billy West to do all the voices, and when people go into combat, they all sound like Zoidberg. Mon-ster brew! Mon-ster brew!

You misspelled "H Jon Benjamin"

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So umm...I have not been following this thread other than catching up on some recent pages and I just wanted to say that I am going to buy this game and play it a lot. I have zero worries about not enjoying my time quite a bit even if a lot of the complaints/worries expressed in this thread turn out to be accurate.

Anyways, back to your in depth discussions about why Bethesda and this game sucks or something.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

Specifically, he says it took 4 years and pre-production development began immediately after finishing Fallout 3. Assuming they started in 2009, that's 4 out of 6 years of development partially taken up by voice acting sessions.

Oh good, if they started right after Fallout 3 that means the story can't contain anything of substance from New Vegas. I guess we won't be hearing about the fate of NCR or Ceasars legions.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Azhais posted:

H Jon Benjamin has a great voice, but it's just one voice. Billy West can voice dozens of characters in the same show and you wouldn't know it.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Bring in Phil Hendrie to do a Fallout version of his Coast To Coast AM impressions.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rutibex posted:

Oh good, if they started right after Fallout 3 that means the story can't contain anything of substance from New Vegas. I guess we won't be hearing about the fate of NCR or Ceasars legions.

It takes place over 1000 miles away in a world where instantaneous coast-to-coast communication no longer exists. Why would you ever assume it'll have info from the Mojave?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When Fallout 3 came out, it was the only game that I could get my wife to play with me and she's already looking forward to hoarding all the cups, paper clips and burned books in Boston.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Xavier434 posted:

So umm...I have not been following this thread other than catching up on some recent pages and I just wanted to say that I am going to buy this game and play it a lot. I have zero worries about not enjoying my time quite a bit even if a lot of the complaints/worries expressed in this thread turn out to be accurate.

Anyways, back to your in depth discussions about why Bethesda and this game sucks or something.

Thank you for your post.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Meeting Archer and Vintage Batman in this game would be great. Playing as them would probably get tired quickly.

If they threw their voices so you didn't recognize them then it wouldn't be the same... you could also probably get better bang for your buck with other professional VAs instead of shelling out for a celebrity no one will notice.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I hope I can craft this.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

It takes place over 1000 miles away in a world where instantaneous coast-to-coast communication no longer exists. Why would you ever assume it'll have info from the Mojave?

Why would instant communication no longer exist? They have technology a lot more advanced than short wave radios kicking around. Caesar was conquering for decades, and controls a huge chunk of central USA. People would at the very least know about his existence.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Eh, most of the country is flat. The Pony Express could go coast to coast in 10 days.

Yeah infrastructure will be shot but it's not like people in France didn't know about the Middle East back in 1100. You won't get detail but some information will make it back; especially big things like Caesar's Legion is toast or whatever.

Plus radios.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Found an article with some info on how armor might work http://segmentnext.com/2015/06/24/fallout-4-armor-modification-damage-resistance-and-more-discussed/

So there's physical, energy and radiation damage. SO you should be able to modify your power armor to focus on one damage type or another. Going into a big raider camp building for physical resistance would be best, while some enclave or brotherhood of steel enemies would warrant focusing on energy resistance.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Delsaber posted:

Bring in Phil Hendrie to do a Fallout version of his Coast To Coast AM impressions.

Now this is a great idea. Imagine having an Art Bell (or maybe an Alex Jones) type ranting about the "F" in "F.E.V." actually stands for fluoride or about the suspicious amounts of solders in Enclave power armor reportedly attending meetings of the Bilderberg Group.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I imagine the Power Armor system is going to be built out of Skyrim's Werewolf/Vampire Lord system, just like Skyrim's killcams were built out of Fallout 3's VATS.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

AKMoose posted:

Now this is a great idea. Imagine having an Art Bell (or maybe an Alex Jones) type ranting about the "F" in "F.E.V." actually stands for fluoride or about the suspicious amounts of solders in Enclave power armor reportedly attending meetings of the Bilderberg Group.

No-Bark gets into the radio business.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Delsaber posted:

best idea in any fallout thread I've ever seen

I used to listen to him on the radio all the time a decade ago when he was broadcasting on the west coast. AM 640 I think. That dude is a master troll.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I hope it's set after Fallout 3 instead of during because that's the only way we'd hear about Butch DeLoria's biker gang

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Thanks for putting Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Editions up online, Target. I've purchased every Fallout collectors edition available, missed out on Fallout 4 but thanks to Target, I won't have to miss out or shell out $250 for this collectors edition. Today was a good day.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

I hope there's a Boston marathon death race in the style of that Arnold Schwarzenegger running man movie

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mr Tastee posted:

No-Bark gets into the radio business.

To this day I do not understand why nobody made a mod that allowed you to recruit him as a party member. We've got a Sunny Smiles, Burned Man, Marcus, and Ulysses companion mod that cuts up existing dialogue to create a serviceable partner.

But no No-Bark Noonan.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

To this day I do not understand why nobody made a mod that allowed you to recruit him as a party member. We've got a Sunny Smiles, Burned Man, Marcus, and Ulysses companion mod that cuts up existing dialogue to create a serviceable partner.

But no No-Bark Noonan.

No liberty prime companion either :smith:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Azhais posted:

got drat do i want this voice to be my dadroid now. kind of the bob's burgers subtle defeatism but every once in a while more like archer's WOO HOO when something awesome happens

edit: oh snap how awesome would it be if they embraced the VO main character thing in a 4th wall kind of way, and when it's inevitably revealed that you are an android, there's voice tapes you can buy or find to equip and it changes the dadroid voice. so you could get a zoidberg or a adam west batman or even a lady who only speaks spanish. that's why the VO stuff took 4 years!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Nevets posted:

H Jon Benjamin has a great voice, but it's just one voice. Billy West can voice dozens of characters in the same show and you wouldn't know it.
Benjamin can do other voices (He does Jimmy Pesto and others on Bob's Burgers). It's just his actual voice is the best. He originally planned to do Archer British.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Last time someone tried marketing something in Boston it was taken as a bomb threat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_bomb_scare

They should make some of these for Fallout 4, and have it flash the words ATOM and BOMB in L.E.D. lights.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

They should make some of these for Fallout 4, and have it flash the words ATOM and BOMB in L.E.D. lights.
Given how crazy people went for Fallout 4 I'm surprised nobody pulled a similar stunt yet

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

ShowTime posted:

Thanks for putting Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Editions up online, Target. I've purchased every Fallout collectors edition available, missed out on Fallout 4 but thanks to Target, I won't have to miss out or shell out $250 for this collectors edition. Today was a good day.

Amazon also got more copies in and stopped being dicks about shipping to Canada - I was just about to give in and get this on Steam, too. I hope they send the CD-Key ahead of time or something, I don't want to wait several extra days to play this...

edit:
All Fallout 3 was accused of was motivating terrorists to attack the US Capitol. They have a long way to go before actually getting SWAT and bomb squad teams deployed.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 25, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Did Amazon really get more copies, because I got an email which said as much but the site says differently.

Also there are over 100 auctions on eBay right now for something that isn't even loving out yet and doesn't physically exist. For twice (or in some rare cases five times) as much as retail.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Are they selling?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

King Vidiot posted:

Did Amazon really get more copies, because I got an email which said as much but the site says differently.

Also there are over 100 auctions on eBay right now for something that isn't even loving out yet and doesn't physically exist. For twice (or in some rare cases five times) as much as retail.

Yeah, looks like it:

Got a confirmation email at the time I placed it as well so it looks like it went through.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Not to dredge this up again but:

New Leaf posted:

In 20 years, you might be right. Today, in 2015, you're wrong about the state of the industry. The almighty dollar speaks louder than any sexual orientation.

Look at all the exciting and different games you get when you let ~the market~ dictate your decisions instead of letting your decisions change the market: Call of Duty Black Ops III! Assassin's Creed Unity! Guitar Hero 2015! Annual sequel after annual sequel, all designed by committee!

If you've got one of the biggest brand names in your industry, a fuckoff-huge budget, and a guaranteed hit because of those two factors, why would you go after a slice of the "you are who we say you are, except you can be mean or nice!" BioWare pie instead of making people realize that playing any of a billion different character concepts is and remains pretty fuckin unique and pretty fuckin fun? (Unless you're totally awful at what you do and creatively bankrupt, of course.)

I think it's pretty bizarre how sputter-y and offended some of y'all are getting itt, and I say this as the guy who made sarcastic John Fallout posts five times a page for like three pages

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I figure they want to have some more separation between Fallout and Elder Scrolls to attract new and different fans. To get away from the whole 'Fallout 3 is Oblivion With Guns' thing.

If you want a complete blank slate, that's what Elder Scrolls is for--even after Fallout 3, Skyrim was a fully blank slate character.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fallout 4 is gonna cash in on that Controversy Dollar by featuring Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as the villain

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

BenRGamer posted:

I figure they want to have some more separation between Fallout and Elder Scrolls to attract new and different fans. To get away from the whole 'Fallout 3 is Oblivion With Guns' thing.

If you want a complete blank slate, that's what Elder Scrolls is for--even after Fallout 3, Skyrim was a fully blank slate character.

That's fair and honestly the best reason I've heard yet but if they were going to go that route they should have started with Elder Scrolls, a franchise in which Bethsoft has personally released a good game, instead of one that remains beloved almost exclusively through remaining goodwill for FO2 and Obsidian's grace. edit: :twisted:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Shugojin posted:

Fallout 4 is gonna cash in on that Controversy Dollar by featuring Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as the villain

Well the pressure cooker WAS used in the recipe of two weapons in f3, what's one more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I got the standard edition at GMG for that sweet discount and picked up a sports phone case that wraps around my arm. $4. Probably made of better quality material, and I have it on my wrist now, so I can play Fallout Shelter on my Pop-Bob while you schlubs have to wait until November. :smug:

...oh who am I kidding, if I didn't have dental debts to repay my mum I'd be pestering EB Games every day until they got more of the precious. I hope they get around to selling Pip-Boys separately; it's an appealing product on its own.

closeted republican posted:

I still want a Fallout game where the MC is a fat Tumblr fangirl artist. She will start to wheeze after walking a few feet,and even a Mole Rat can beat you in combat because of how poor you are physically. Your ultimate goal is to poorly mimic Furiosa and her motivations from the latest Mad Max film, which in reality devolves into you making a lovely cosplay of Furiosa and sitting on your rear end in a shack, writing BoS slash fanfiction about a Paladin loving a former sex slave while surrounded by a very large pile of Nuka Cola and Fancy Lad's Snacks that you have scavenged.

Please stop hacking my webcam.

Timeless Appeal posted:

He originally planned to do Archer British.

Was someone from Bethesda in charge of the pilot's voice direction? Because that was a loving good plan.

Am...am I doing it right?

• Locked thread