Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
John Connor as Terminator is loving dumb. There, I said it.

It's like Jurassic World, Connor-nator is the new hybrid T Rex.

:negative:

Would have been way cooler if they picked up where TSCC left off with an unknown Connor in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stugazi posted:

Would have been way cooler if they picked up where TSCC left off with an unknown Connor in the future.

Basing a $200 million movie on the "what the gently caress" ending of a niche show that barely anyone watched, yep, that's the ticket to box office success.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Timby posted:

Basing a $200 million movie on the "what the gently caress" ending of a niche show that barely anyone watched, yep, that's the ticket to box office success.

He said it would be "cooler", not "financially prudent".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Stugazi posted:

John Connor as Terminator is loving dumb. There, I said it.

It's like Jurassic World, Connor-nator is the new hybrid T Rex.

:negative:

The worst part is they showed in it in trailers on tv and its not a big surprise again.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

I was on hand for a half hour Ubisoft keynote once where the ENTIRE HALF HOUR was just James Cameron and Freddie Lounds talking without pause about how visionary and outstanding Ubisoft's Avatar: The Game as going to be.

It wasn't like, visionary and outstanding, but it was a pretty solid game iirc?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Can't convince anyone I know to see this movie when it comes out. Compare that to the instant yes replies I got when I asked these same people to see Mad Max: Fury Road and Jurassic World. That's how in the dirt the Terminator franchise is with my circle of friends. Even if it's better than the last two installments it's a hard sell.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna see it, even if it's bad. It's Terminator, even if its poo poo its gonna be an Arnold Movie as a robot doing poo poo with time travel.

Timby posted:

Also See: Serenity.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It wasn't like, visionary and outstanding, but it was a pretty solid game iirc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioKCnx0loyM

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The thread's kinda fallen into a rut of "everyone says it looks bad, but Cameron says it is good, but critics say it looks bad, but someone thinks it looks good...."

As usual, the actual question is 'good at what?'

It's very obvious from the ads that this film is about a very basic reversal of perspective. Instead of Sarah Connor being pulled out of her humdrum life in 1984 and into the bizarre future-war, Kyle Reese is pulled out of his humdrum life in 202X and into a bizarro 1984.

In other words, Genesis is starting from Salvation's point that we all know the stakes, we're living in the end times, and insane drone warfare is the new normal. This latest film centers on one nerd trying to escape from the reality into the nostalgic past - trying to 'recapture his childhood' - and finding that it's not what he remembered.

The film can only really be judged good or bad along those lines - not really in direct comparison to the original.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There is not a single movie Arnold hasn't starred in and been the best thing of.

See Batman and Robin.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The point is that predestination and grandfather paradoxes are both wrong - they are both equally nonsense and don't work logically. Yet people always seem ok with predestination paradox...I think because it's subtler. At first glance, everything works.

Just live by Austin Powers rules, I say. Relax, and enjoy yourself. :)

Is it wrong that I kinda want to watch Genesys when it comes to Redbox just for that flawless 1984 Arnold work? I feel like if they got that part so right it has to be a sign of something good.

Predestination paradoxes are actually perfectly logical and one of the few ways time travel could "actually" function (although more in the movie that recently came out Interstellar way in which something is used to contact things in the past, as opposed to actually transporting someone to the past.

The only reason people have problems with them is because most people are taught to think of time as linear early on, which factors into the cause ---> effect way of which we regularly think. It's hard for people to think in 4 dimensions, which is why Picard had a whole two parter where he was trying to figure it out.

Well, Bill and Ted figured it out fairly quickly...

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Burkion posted:

There is not a single movie Arnold hasn't starred in and been the best thing of.

See Batman and Robin.

The Rundown. Unless you just count that as a cameo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darko posted:

The Rundown. Unless you just count that as a cameo.

Wasn't he in like, 9 seconds of that movie?

The caveat of the Arnold Rule is that he must be in at least 15 minutes of the movie to make it worthwhile.

It's why Salvation is almost watchable, Arnold is present for almost 8 minutes before just becoming a T-800. Even if it was weird silly CGI Arnold.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
If you guys don't love Kindergarden Cop I will disown you. :colbert:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Doesn't he have like six minutes of screen time T1?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

Doesn't he have like six minutes of screen time T1?

...he's the third main character of that movie. The only people with more screen time are the actual heroes.

Even ignoring that silliness, this Iron Clad Arnold Rule (for Myself and no one else unless they agree) only really applies to what would otherwise be not so great movies.

So Kindergarden Cop and Terminator are exempt because they'd be fine movies, regardless of Arnold. He just makes them amazing.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

T1 was so bleak because everybody knows that the war will happen, most of humanity will be wiped out, but eventually - through the strength and leadership of one man - we will persevere. That's the way that things are SUPPOSED to happen. Remember that the end of T1 was "a storm is coming". If you remember back to the first time you saw T1, it didn't leave you feeling great.

T2 introduced "no fate", and the concept that maybe it's possible to stop all of this from even happening in the first place.

T3 then turned T2 on its ear with "you only postponed it, judgment day is inevitable". But if you think about it, T3 just went back to the "closed loop" timeline of T1 where everything that has happened will happen.

At least according to the trailers, this one looks to start in the victory of the future war, along with some present-day"no fate" thrown in once the time-travel fuckery starts up. So I think it still could be an interesting concept if done right...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sasquatch! posted:

T1 was so bleak because everybody knows that the war will happen, most of humanity will be wiped out, but eventually - through the strength and leadership of one man - we will persevere. That's the way that things are SUPPOSED to happen. Remember that the end of T1 was "a storm is coming". If you remember back to the first time you saw T1, it didn't leave you feeling great.

T2 introduced "no fate", and the concept that maybe it's possible to stop all of this from even happening in the first place.

T3 then turned T2 on its ear with "you only postponed it, judgment day is inevitable". But if you think about it, T3 just went back to the "closed loop" timeline of T1 where everything that has happened will happen.

At least according to the trailers, this one looks to start in the victory of the future war, along with some present-day"no fate" thrown in once the time-travel fuckery starts up. So I think it still could be an interesting concept if done right...
"Stopping" Judgment Day implies some sort of branching/alternate timelines, because if there's one singular timeline and they somehow successfully "stop" it, it should create a paradox where the events of the first movie never happen because Skynet doesn't exist and therefore the events that lead to them "stopping" it never come to pass. The only way for them to stop it is to stop it in a particular timeline, which implies that there are other timelines where it isn't stopped.

So if we've got a myriad number of alternate, branching timelines all over the place, what we see in T3 is just one possible future following from the events of T2, but it's not the only one. TSCC shows us another possibility, wholly separate from T3.

TSCC brings up another interesting idea that if there's multiple timelines and you go back in time, how do you control which timeline's past you end up in? Derek and his girlfriend end up coming from completely different future timelines, and somehow end up together in the same past.
Genisys seems to be toying with that idea as well - Kyle Reese is ostensibly sent back in time from the same "future" he came from in the original 'The Terminator', but somehow he's ended up in a timeline where things are radically different from what he expected to find.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Here's a thought, bare with me.

What if Skynet did the most logical thing and sent back it's most advanced terminator, the T-X to kill John Connor first. From Skynet's perspective nothing changes because the T-X fails and the events of T3 take place leading to the same end. It then sends back the T-1000 to try and get him while he's still young, a seemingly easier mission. The T-1000 fails too and from Skynet's perspective nothing changes. It then sends back the T-101 for what should be the easiest mission of all to kill Sarah. It doesn't realise that sending the T-101 actually ensures that the T-1000 and the T-X it sent first would fail and through a series of connected events eventually lead to it's own destruction.

Skynet doesn't realise that you can't change the past, everything it did just caused the series of events that it was trying to prevent. :catdrugs:

Salvation and Genisys seem to gently caress with that though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Xenomrph posted:

TSCC brings up another interesting idea that if there's multiple timelines and you go back in time, how do you control which timeline's past you end up in? Derek and his girlfriend end up coming from completely different future timelines, and somehow end up together in the same past.
Genisys seems to be toying with that idea as well - Kyle Reese is ostensibly sent back in time from the same "future" he came from in the original 'The Terminator', but somehow he's ended up in a timeline where things are radically different from what he expected to find.

I think it was more - one future, everything is constantly changing due to actions in the past. Derek and Jesse's future had changed - the future Derek remembered no longer existed from the time he was sent back in time.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

I think it was more - one future, everything is constantly changing due to actions in the past. Derek and Jesse's future had changed - the future Derek remembered no longer existed from the time he was sent back in time.

Either that or branching futures, so multiple different futures have the same 'past' to travel back to. Like the reverse of a branching tree.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
If that were true then why aren't there an infinite number of Terminators filing in from each possible alternate future?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MonoAus posted:

If that were true then why aren't there an infinite number of Terminators filing in from each possible alternate future?

Because Reasons.

It's not like any portrayal of time trvale in the series other than T1s actually makes sense.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There is another way to look at Terminator 1, of course.

Namely that Sarah was going to have John Conner with or without Kyle. She likely would have had a boy and likely would have named him John, regardless of the future. Would it have been the SAME John Conner?

Does that actually matter? Any John Conner is the right John Conner if raised in roughly the same way. So the Time Travel started screwing things up day 1 in that regard.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Because Reasons.

It's not like any portrayal of time trvale in the series other than T1s actually makes sense.

The truth.

e: The 'no fate' thing of T2 and other movies is specifically what makes them not make sense though. The fact that T1 was self-fulfilling meant that there was no paradox.

MonoAus fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 25, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MonoAus posted:

Or a congo line of Kyle Reeses waiting for a turn at Sarah?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MonoAus posted:

There are though, and some of their orders conflict.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Burkion posted:

There is another way to look at Terminator 1, of course.

Namely that Sarah was going to have John Conner with or without Kyle. She likely would have had a boy and likely would have named him John, regardless of the future. Would it have been the SAME John Conner?

Does that actually matter? Any John Conner is the right John Conner if raised in roughly the same way. So the Time Travel started screwing things up day 1 in that regard.

I could have sworn one of very earliest Dark Horse Terminator comics (that might have been from BEFORE T2 came out) ended with Sarah Connor giving birth to a girl instead of a boy and causes some sort of crazy time reset. JDay still happens, apparently, but Jane Connor ends the war sooner and Skynet never has a chance to send a Terminator (nor the Resistance, Kyle) back in time in the first place.

I know, "Comics Ain't Canon", though.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

There are though, and some of their orders conflict.

Do you mean in TSCC? I don't remember that many being sent back but it has been a long time since I've seen it. Certainly not an infinite amount.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My idea of the Terminator timeline is that the resistance sends back a guy to plant the seed literally and metaphorically of a John Connor who will be aware of Judgement day before it begins to better lead the resistance than whoever is actually leading it in that timeline he is sent back from.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

JediTalentAgent posted:

I could have sworn one of very earliest Dark Horse Terminator comics (that might have been from BEFORE T2 came out) ended with Sarah Connor giving birth to a girl instead of a boy and causes some sort of crazy time reset. JDay still happens, apparently, but Jane Connor ends the war sooner and Skynet never has a chance to send a Terminator (nor the Resistance, Kyle) back in time in the first place.

I know, "Comics Ain't Canon", though.
What with it being generally accepted that the Terminator series has multiple timelines, I definitely see the comics as fair game. In fact someday when I have nothing better to do, I'd like to "map" out all the myriad branching timelines stemming from, well, everything. My plan is to have two models, one that condenses everything down to as few branches as possible without contradictions or paradoxes, and one that is as liberal as possible and assumes that pretty much every time travel event or demonstrable change from a previous timeline creates a new timeline branch.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
NOW Comics Terminator is going to be a hell of a trip, ain't it...

Looking back on a bit of those some time ago, though, it almost seemed like some of the Now Terminator comics felt almost like they were going for a Saturday Morning Cartoon version of the Terminator mythos.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yeah the cruel joke at the heart of the Terminator franchise is that the only thing that makes John Connor special is that he's a normal chump who is lucky enough to be given cheat cards.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Laserface posted:

My idea of the Terminator timeline is that the resistance sends back a guy to plant the seed literally and metaphorically of a John Connor who will be aware of Judgement day before it begins to better lead the resistance than whoever is actually leading it in that timeline he is sent back from.

But the guy that is actually leading the resistance already helped them win the war?

Side question, are there any stories about how the rest of the world was after Judgment Day? I guess for convenience's sake it's all a big crater and/or nuclear wasteland, but it would be kind of funny if all this future war-hubbub only affected North America with the rest of the world just kind of carrying on.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

But the guy that is actually leading the resistance already helped them win the war?

Side question, are there any stories about how the rest of the world was after Judgment Day? I guess for convenience's sake it's all a big crater and/or nuclear wasteland, but it would be kind of funny if all this future war-hubbub only affected North America with the rest of the world just kind of carrying on.

The script for terminator 2 says the entire northern hemisphere was wiped of humanity and that the majority of the soldiers in the resistance are the surviving third worlders.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Nice, thanks. I see Skynet doesn't screw around where none-time travel things are concerned.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Grendels Dad posted:

Off the top of my head, one of the Dark Horse comic series is set in Russia post-JD, and I'm pretty sure there's a Terminator Salvation prequel comic set in the Middle East.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

MonoAus posted:

Do you mean in TSCC? I don't remember that many being sent back but it has been a long time since I've seen it. Certainly not an infinite amount.

TSCC hinted at there being a bunch of truly covert terminators on various missions to gather supplies and bolster things in Skynet's favor in the future.

There was the ganster terminator that stole a bunch of money, hid it and itself somewhere until the stock market existed, used the money to found a company and amass wealth and start getting ready to invest it in weapons development before Summer Glau caught up to him and destroyed him. That was in an episode where Cameron was apparently using library access to look for evidence of terminators on various missions and going about stopping whatever they were doing in between fixing stupid mistakes Sarah and John were making.

Also the Cromartie terminator destroying some other terminator that was about to kill the FBI guy because Cromartie figured that guy would lead him to John Connor and some line about "Skynet would see the logic in it later".

Also military convoy terminator guy that got locked in a blast door bunker.

Lots of terminators on various missions were run across and stopped during the show that weren't all necessarily on "Kill John Connor" missions.

Also human servants of Skynet sent back to the past prior to Judgement Day as a retirement/reward for completing some betrayal of humanity mission in the future.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite Terminator timeline is the one where RoboCop is both Skynet and John Conner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Stugazi posted:

Haven't seen these posted here yet:

Terminator police interrogation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUmBEfWehaw
Holy crap, that was terrible. This franchise needs to be put to sleep for a very long time. This scene is like watching saturday morning cartoon version of the terminator just with the unfortunate handicap of having been filmed in live action.

G-III fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 25, 2015

• Locked thread