Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Round Robin just means less variety on your schedule year to year

all hail the superconferences with 7 team divisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
7 team divisions (with 8 game conference schedules) just means you only play every team in your division once every four years.

Seriously though I like round robin. Also helps with the dick waving contests because you don't get to magically skip the best team in the other division every other year.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

VDay posted:

So apparently not only is there security camera footage of Diddy's fight but also some stuff that was shot on cellphones, so look forward to that being public.

Also the footage is considered "strong evidence" against Diddy, to the point where the LADA is going to pursue charges.

http://www.scout.com/college/ucla/story/1557799-charges-to-be-pursued-against-p-diddy

Get your popcorn ready* :munch:

*In a month when things actually get filed and move forward

Coaches don't want to press charges so this may all blow over after all

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/report--ucla-coaches-don-t-want-to-prosecute-p--diddy-215952776.html

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Strobe posted:

If there had been a single upset on championship weekend last year, that narrative would be dead.

I disagree. That's a short term look at a long term problem. They aren't positioned to generate revenue the way the B1G, PAC12, SEC, and ACC are as a result of their smaller footprint and lack of a TV network. Their bargaining power is entirely predicated on Texas/OU being relevant. TCU added nothing to the conference money wise, not even speaking of WVU not bringing much in that regard either. Staying at 10 in a world of 12 & 14 team conferences just means you're a step behind. Money makes the world go round and the Big12 is at a distinct disadvantage compared to the other P5 groups.

Competition wise is not the quesiton they've got teams that can hang, but their ability to continue to hang is based on what those conferences will generate in revenue and everyone but Texas is falling behind the longer the Big12 stays as it is. Add more teams and maybe you can force Texas' hand on the network.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Competition wise is not the quesiton they've got teams that can hang, but their ability to continue to hang is based on what those conferences will generate in revenue and everyone but Texas is falling behind the longer the Big12 stays as it is. Add more teams and maybe you can force Texas' hand on the network.

I'd argue OU should theoretically be ok too, but whatever. As I understand it the smaller schools are the ones against expansion because it will cut into their money if they don't get the right schools (and they can't get the right ones at this point other than maybe BYU).

The whole thing seems dumb, just like the Big 12 in general. I still think they should have immediately pounced on Florida State/Georgia Tech if that was ever actually possible, failing that grab Louisville and Cincinnati. Someone post the bearcat picture.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Grittybeard posted:

I'd argue OU should theoretically be ok too, but whatever. As I understand it the smaller schools are the ones against expansion because it will cut into their money if they don't get the right schools (and they can't get the right ones at this point other than maybe BYU).

The whole thing seems dumb, just like the Big 12 in general. I still think they should have immediately pounced on Florida State/Georgia Tech if that was ever actually possible, failing that grab Louisville and Cincinnati. Someone post the bearcat picture.

I don't know much about conference politics and TV deals and revenue sharing and such but just in terms of good football my best-case scenario in the event of an ACC collapse is the Big 12 picking up Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, and either Miami or Virginia Tech.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Big 12 needs to round up any of the remaining decent Texas schools (Houston, maybe SMU), grab BYU for that sweet sweet mormon money and exposure then throw in someone like Colorado State because boo to boise/the rest of the MWC (also helps with the Denver market maybe).

gently caress off (in regards to UH, SMU, BYU)

I know the ACC is often joked about, but we are in a way stronger spot than the Big12 in terms of stability and being relevant/meaningful moving into the new era of the P5 schools.

This is a possibility, but on the other hand, the Big XII is currently made up of less appealing schools to the other conferences largely because they have a number of schools that are tightly tied to other members of the conference.

ACC is seen as having fewer issues with keeping in-state schools together and is not one of the two predatory conferences (SEC & Big Ten).

Kansas is vulnerable to being poached by the Big Ten, but it's not known what sort of politics KSU would play. WVU is vulnerable to the SEC, but who knows if they're appealing enough. OU and UT are tied to in-state rivals.

With the ACC, VT, UNC, NC State, Virginia, Duke, Miami, FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame (halfsies), and Louisville are all more likely to be poached than any current Big XII school outside of KU and WVU.

I still see one of two scenarios playing out in 2026:
1. Big XII is torn apart with 4 teams going west, 1 north, 1 southeast, and the rest landing in some combination of ACC & AAC
2. ACC is torn apart with 2 teams going to each of the SEC & Big Ten, while the Big XII and most of the remaining ACC powers merge, with other ACC members finding their way into the AAC.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Why would kansas go to the big ten?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Metapod posted:

Why would kansas go to the big ten?

That sweet B10 Network money might be enough to lure Kansas basketball away from winning the conference by default every goddamned year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They would love to go to the Big Ten, I'm sure. There is not really any reason for the Big Ten to want them at this point, aside from the lazy "they're close to Big Ten country!" thinking that gets people to believe that the Big Ten is going to add Iowa State. They're good at basketball but that's a distant second to football (where they're godawful) and they don't add a major market the way Rutgers allegedly does.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 25, 2015

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Kick out Penn State and add Pitt

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I can't really imagine any scenario that the ACC falls apart once and for all. If anything, wouldn't they be able to survive as basketball with the ACC name?

This is a good plan.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
If I remember right OU wanted Louisville to join, and Louisville was interested at the time. I think the school presidents or ADs or something are friends. The Big 12 was originally thinking WVU, but Louisville tried to make a push and politicians got involved, then West Virginia politicians got involved claiming they were there first, verbal pissing wars ensued or something like that, I don't remember exactly, but WVU obviously ended up in the Big 12 over Louisville. I remember thinking at the time why not go after both. Louisville is a much larger market than anything in West Virginia, and it would keep what had become a rivalry in the Big East while giving each school another one in close proximity compared to the rest of the conference. Since taking both would have meant 11 teams, they could have then gone after FSU or another ACC school. If that didn't work, a school like BYU, Boise St, or Cincinnati. If you're looking purely at market size, BYU would have given you Salt Lake City, though Cincinnati is pretty good size market too.

With the current state of Louisville in both football and basketball and the ACC locking themselves up for the foreseeable future, I think they both came out winners in this case. The Big 12 I don't think is in any immediate danger, but I don't think adding schools just to get to 12 is the way to go unless the right schools are available. I think eventually they either poach who they want out of the ACC or break apart and get absorbed into the other 4, because I think we'll eventually get to 4 superconferences (20 teams each, 2 10 team divisions) and either the ACC or Big 12 goes away in that scenario.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Shut up everybody. The Big XII schools are all best friends and they are never going to break up or add any other schools because that's not what best friends do. Except Missouri is cool and can come back if they want as long as they write everybody a letter saying they're sorry and they'll never do it again.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Then kick out Indiana and add Mizzou

Then kick out Rutgers and add literally any other team in the nation

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

kayakyakr posted:

I still see one of two scenarios playing out in 2026:
1. Big XII is torn apart with 4 teams going west, 1 north, 1 southeast, and the rest landing in some combination of ACC & AAC
2. ACC is torn apart with 2 teams going to each of the SEC & Big Ten, while the Big XII and most of the remaining ACC powers merge, with other ACC members finding their way into the AAC.

ACC basketball stabilizes the conference really really well. How NCAAM popularity changes in the coming years, if it does at all, probably has a bigger impact for the ACC than most things football would change, barring some really massive shift

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Conference decisions should never be made based on anything other than football.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

If I remember right OU wanted Louisville to join, and Louisville was interested at the time. I think the school presidents or ADs or something are friends. The Big 12 was originally thinking WVU, but Louisville tried to make a push and politicians got involved, then West Virginia politicians got involved claiming they were there first, verbal pissing wars ensued or something like that, I don't remember exactly, but WVU obviously ended up in the Big 12 over Louisville. I remember thinking at the time why not go after both. Louisville is a much larger market than anything in West Virginia, and it would keep what had become a rivalry in the Big East while giving each school another one in close proximity compared to the rest of the conference. Since taking both would have meant 11 teams, they could have then gone after FSU or another ACC school.

You forget your timeline. It was TCU that came along and wound up knocking Louisville out. That was settled between UT's president or AD or something and TCU's over whiskey.

9 other teams (including WVU who was already joining the conference at that time) wanted Louisville, but UT gets what it wants.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

kayakyakr posted:

gently caress off (in regards to UH, SMU, BYU)

So you'd rather the rousing options of UCF, USF, East Carolina, & Cincy better then?

ACC Basketball will keep that conference moving forward, whatever attrition it has won't be huge especially with ND in the fold.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Then kick out Rutgers and add literally any other team in the nation

Rutgers to the Big Ten was the only truly disappointing move in the whole process, really.

I mean, aside from the Texas to the Pac-16 disappointment, which goes beyond disappointment into some other emotion.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

So you'd rather the rousing options of UCF, USF, East Carolina, & Cincy better then?

ACC Basketball will keep that conference moving forward, whatever attrition it has won't be huge especially with ND in the fold.

1. No. None of the above. UCF is the only one with growth potential.

2. Football drives alignment. Basketball is nice, but it hasn't helped the Big East stay relevant, has it? If ACC loses 4 to the SEC and the Big Ten, the remaining 10.5 will have an option between abandoning ship and doing something with the Big XII, or picking up those same rousing options you listed above.

And no pretending that any school in the ACC would turn down the Big Ten or SEC when they come along.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

kayakyakr posted:

You forget your timeline. It was TCU that came along and wound up knocking Louisville out. That was settled between UT's president or AD or something and TCU's over whiskey.

9 other teams (including WVU who was already joining the conference at that time) wanted Louisville, but UT gets what it wants.

I wish the old Big XII never broke apart honestly.

Add TCU, West Virginia, and poach two other teams near WV (so not every away game for them would be a plane trip) from the Big East and or ACC.

If that had happened nobody would be talking about how bad the Big XII is... but goddam UT.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

kayakyakr posted:

1. No. None of the above. UCF is the only one with growth potential.

2. Football drives alignment. Basketball is nice, but it hasn't helped the Big East stay relevant, has it? If ACC loses 4 to the SEC and the Big Ten, the remaining 10.5 will have an option between abandoning ship and doing something with the Big XII, or picking up those same rousing options you listed above.

And no pretending that any school in the ACC would turn down the Big Ten or SEC when they come along.

Depends on the schools and how the invites are spread. The North Carolina schools will spurn almost any such invitations, as they're pretty tightly bound. Pitt would probably leave for the Big 10 or maybe Big 12, as either restores a good amount of historic rivalries. GT left the SEC and probably doesn't want to return back to it. Louiville to the SEC normalizes the Kentucky rivalry a lot and opens up rival games and OOC games. FSU is sitting pretty. The Virginia schools probably don't particularly care one way or the other. Miami leaving would be a huge, huge gamble and is probably predicated on being able to get enough money from the conference to afford a ton of new upgrades, coaching and otherwise. If they get that money and keep getting worse, then the move effectively turns them into vanderbilt.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Good gravy can you imagine if UVA was actually good at football and ended up in the SEC? The Ole Miss-UVA games would be the American version of the Royal Ascot.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

pillsburysoldier posted:

Depends on the schools and how the invites are spread. The North Carolina schools will spurn almost any such invitations, as they're pretty tightly bound. Pitt would probably leave for the Big 10 or maybe Big 12, as either restores a good amount of historic rivalries. GT left the SEC and probably doesn't want to return back to it. Louiville to the SEC normalizes the Kentucky rivalry a lot and opens up rival games and OOC games. FSU is sitting pretty. The Virginia schools probably don't particularly care one way or the other. Miami leaving would be a huge, huge gamble and is probably predicated on being able to get enough money from the conference to afford a ton of new upgrades, coaching and otherwise. If they get that money and keep getting worse, then the move effectively turns them into vanderbilt.

I'm thinking that it comes out like as:

SEC takes NC State and Virginia Tech
Big Ten takes UNC and Virginia
Big XII joins with FSU, Clemson, GT, Louisville, Pitt (for WVU), Miami, Notre Dame, and/or Duke.

Wake, 'Cuse, and BC get left in the cold.

NC State and UNC getting and accepting invites to the big two is the only thing that's hugely up in the air. The big reason why they would try to package is to make sure neither is left behind. With each school holding a golden ticket, would either side care?

SEC's policy of not doubling up states means that they'd be left with few options if the NC schools turn it down. Kansas adds basketball, but realignment is driven by football. WVU is possible, but West Virginia itself is a fairly small media market. Pitt is a strong possibility, but they don't have any connections to the SEC as it stands and don't add much in the way of current football prowess.

Just 1 school leaving could bring the Big XII all crashing down, though.

I've said it many times before, I predict that the Big XII and ACC's futures are with each other. Pac 12 will remain at 12, SEC and Big Ten at 16, Big XII and ACC will merge into some mixed monstrosity with between 16 and 20 teams.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
No way UNC and Duke split up.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The core ACC will never leave. Anyone who's joined since FSU did...maybe.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

UNC NCState and Duke act more or less as a unit in the ACC office, and as such have a huge amount of power within the conference. They're not gonna split up to be never-rans in totally disparate conferences.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pillsburysoldier posted:

UNC NCState and Duke act more or less as a unit in the ACC office, and as such have a huge amount of power within the conference. They're not gonna split up to be never-rans in totally disparate conferences.

And yet at the same time, the SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 aren't going to take more than one school in North Carolina. If other schools are jumping ship left and right and the ACC looks like it's going the way of the Big East, the NC schools may have to choose between splitting up or ending up in a crappy mid-major conference.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I should say I think maybe Clemson would consider a move but they'd be the only founding members that would do so unless the conference was in dire straits. GT joined like 25 years after the founding and I don't see them going elsewhere either.

Most of the schools fit really well. Pitt and Louisville are kinda outliers but like BC, Cuse, Miami, VT all fit remarkably well within the confines of the conference.

I wouldn't say VT is opposed to moving but I question the cost it would come at and how short-sighted people are to clamor for some instant gratification(football revenue sharing) over where the school as a whole belongs which, with the way VT is trending as a university, is decidedly as an ACC school. In the end I don't see VT going anywhere and it will probably be the correct decision no matter how badly some football fans are to head to the SEC and struggle to win 6 games.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Virginia Tech really is the non-Texas rival A&M deserves though

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Don't inflict Aggie upon others

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Raku posted:

Our shenanigans are cheeky and fun. Aggy shenanigans are cruel and tragic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raku posted:

I already get confused enough with Miss St.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Raku posted:

We are the normal version that A&M thinks they are.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Look, VT, just join the SEC if you're ever asked and accept your fate as TAMU's rival and playing Tennessee for ownership of Bristol every year until the end of time.

I mean we ALL put you in the SEC in NCAA Football 2011.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Sash! posted:

Look, VT, just join the SEC if you're ever asked and accept your fate as TAMU's rival and playing Tennessee for ownership of Bristol every year until the end of time.

I mean we ALL put you in the SEC in NCAA Football 2011.

You just reminded me that ncaa football is no more :smith:

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

kayakyakr posted:

I've said it many times before, I predict that the Big XII and ACC's futures are with each other. Pac 12 will remain at 12, SEC and Big Ten at 16, Big XII and ACC will merge into some mixed monstrosity with between 16 and 20 teams.

I think the only way the Pac 12 expands is if talk of Texas and OU (along with TTU and OSU) heading west comes up again. I just don't see Texas giving up the power they have right now to do that. I think that might be the worst case for the rest of the Big 12, because I don't think the other conferences would be rushing to take any of them.

I also wonder if the SEC will ever try to make (another?) push to get OU. Though I'm sure that would have to come with OSU as a package deal, and I know they'd rather get a Virginia/North Carolina school as the 16th team to get a different market.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Honestly the survival of big 12 depends highly on Texas and just how big of a douche they can be before they piss off OU. The longhorn network has been a relative disaster and if Texas doesn't allow a big 12 network after the contact is up I think many of the schools will be looking at the other conferences and their big tv dollars. Then you see OU going to either pac 12 or B1G along with probably OSU and K state with Baylor or tcu close behind. Kansas and Iowa state join mwc and Texas can go to hell for all I care. Death to the big 12!

I'm pretty sure though that if OU looked like they were waffling B1G would be at the door with money bags in hand in a heartbeat.

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

Big Ten takes Virginia

Michigan and Virginia could have a rivalry game! The trophy could be a statue of Gerald Broflovski sniffing his own farts.

• Locked thread