Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Terry Glenn posted:

If Stanley Johnson is available, OKC promises to send Charlotte both of Jeremy Lamb and Perry Jones +14 for 9. OKC gets a little cap relief and a two-way wing. Charlotte saves itself from Kaminsky, gets a talented player who needs a fresh start in Lamb & expiring young reclamation project in Jones, and can move down further with Boston, Spurs, whoever. Let's do it, forums trades rule.

If there was a gm that could pull this off i5 would be presti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I have no idea who the Spurs should draft, so I'm mostly hoping for a big trade/free agent signing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Yung Jacques posted:

Hibbert was actually a first option

No he wasn't. Jeff Green was, at least in Hibbert's best year. I guess he was their leading scorer the next year after Green left, but it wasn't by much and he was only scoring like a point more a game than the year before. He never has looked especially fluid offensive either.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 25, 2015

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

If there was a gm that could pull this off i5 would be presti

I don't think it would take a wizard to pull that off. Lamb's going to be a good bench scorer for someone, it's just a question of whether teams want to surrender an asset to get him next season or wait for his FA.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Terry Glenn posted:

If Stanley Johnson is available, OKC promises to send Charlotte both of Jeremy Lamb and Perry Jones +14 for 9. OKC gets a little cap relief and a two-way wing. Charlotte saves itself from Kaminsky, gets a talented player who needs a fresh start in Lamb & expiring young reclamation project in Jones, and can move down further with Boston, Spurs, whoever. Let's do it, forums trades rule.

Lamb and Perry Jones are both busts. That's essentially trading a bunch of random crap for the 9th pick. Nobody should take that deal. You'd have to include Kyle Singler or something otherwise of value.

I guess Charlotte is hosed

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Terry Glenn posted:

I don't think it would take a wizard to pull that off. Lamb's going to be a good bench scorer for someone, it's just a question of whether teams want to surrender an asset to get him next season or wait for his FA.

That is a big question

Dejan Bimble posted:

Lamb and Perry Jones are both busts. That's essentially trading a bunch of random crap for the 9th pick. Nobody should take that deal. You'd have to include Kyle Singler or something otherwise of value.

Lamb cannot be considered a bust because brooks wouldn't put him on the court because of ~reasons~

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Dejan Bimble posted:

Lamb isn't junk. OKC has failed to develop him, but his numbers are good. Certainly a lot better than Singler's. It's all good though, I'm just homering around making up ideal deals.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

That is a big question

Lamb cannot be considered a bust because brooks wouldn't put him on the court because of ~reasons~

Maybe? Maybe not. They were such a thin team, you'd think he would have showed something if he was ever going to.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I've been thinking long and hard on this and I believe it would be great if my team could trade some guys I don't think are any good, for a lottery draft pick. Who says no?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Terry Glenn posted:

Lamb isn't junk. OKC has failed to develop him, but his numbers are good. Certainly a lot better than Singler's. It's all good though, I'm just homering around making up ideal deals.

Charlotte just got Lamb for Matt Barnes (or something), so your dreams came true in a lovely monkey's paw way

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rabidsquid posted:

I've been thinking long and hard on this and I believe it would be great if my team could trade some guys I don't think are any good, for a lottery draft pick. Who says no?

Possibly not the Pacers

quote:

Darren WolfsonVerified account
‏@DWolfsonKSTP

Hear Pacers = another team interested in Bjelica. Taylor praised him to me last night. But not convinced the love is universal w/ #Twolves.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

morestuff posted:

Charlotte just got Lamb for Matt Barnes (or something), so your dreams came true in a lovely monkey's paw way

Probably just cap relief for OKC. Lamb & Kemba ride again in the pros.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Why is Kaminsky treated like a flaming bag of dog doo around here, where in the draft would he be considered good value rather than a draft disaster?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

chunkles posted:

Why is Kaminsky treated like a flaming bag of dog doo around here, where in the draft would he be considered good value rather than a draft disaster?

"Old, unathletic tweener types that can't defend and don't really have the athleticism to score in the NBA" is not the best archetype to fall under

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

Un-athletic white players in the lottery tend to be busts. I think we recognize Kaminsky's skills, his passing and his shooting, his crafty scoring. But it will be hard for him to do stuff we expect bigs to do, rebound and defend well around the basket. I think there are guys with higher upside in the top 10. If anyone wants him past that, it wouldn't be offensive. Getting someone functional is usually a victory at 10+

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think the next tier, which I think Frank is part of, starts at pick 12.

Yung Jacques
Oct 31, 2010

MourningView posted:

No he wasn't. Jeff Green was, at least in Hibbert's best year. I guess he was their leading scorer the next year after Green left, but it wasn't by much and he was only scoring like a point more a game than the year before. He never has looked especially fluid offensive either.
Even when Green was there Hibbert was at worst a co-first option. He arguably had more plays actually run for him, per minute. And I didn't say I thought Hibbert was actually that good, he was just more skilled than Thabeet was, which has been confirmed by their pro careers.

They were both mediocre prospects, Thabeet just chose the right time to enter. Hibbert probably would've gone top 5-10 if he'd left earlier, and Thabeet probably would've dropped under another year of scrutiny.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Terry Glenn posted:

Probably just cap relief for OKC. Lamb & Kemba ride again in the pros.

Hooray

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
No dumb Lakers fans, D'Angelo Russell is not the best passer since Magic
No, he isn't Rubio with Curry's jumper
No, he doesn't have better court vision loving Chris Paul
No, he isn't a taller and more athletic Steph Curry

I've made up 0 of those comparisons, and those were all posted in the last hour or two

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

It's good to know that while Lakers fans are dormant on the surface they are still breeding underground like the orcs in Lord of the Rings, just waiting for the Lakers to be relevant again so they can show up to Rockets Warriors games in Kobe jerseys

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

chunkles posted:

It's good to know that while Lakers fans are dormant on the surface they are still breeding underground like the orcs in Lord of the Rings, just waiting for the Lakers to be relevant again so they can show up to Rockets Warriors games in Kobe jerseys

Am I not supposed to do that?

EDIT: It was actually a Gasol shirt, but gold blends in with yellow at Warriors game

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 25, 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Nah I would totally do that if I was a Lakers fan

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

chunkles posted:

Secret breeder reporting for duty.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

I've made up 0 of those comparisons, and those were all posted in the last hour or two

I can stomach it more than "Muiday is Jason Kidd, and it'll only take three or four years for him to get that jumper!"

Like poo poo, it took Jason Kidd like a decade to get a jumper, even if the athleticism was a fair comparison.

chunkles posted:

Nah I would totally do that if I was a Lakers fan

I thought it would've been really funny to show up to the box I sat in for a Suns game this year in a Fisher jersey. In the end I decided to be professional but I am not totally sure it would've mattered because the corporate big wigs from the company that got us the box watched like five minutes of basketball in the second quarter after talking with each other in the back the rest of the time and then left.

E: Maybe judging someone's love of basketball on Suns/Utah in like April isn't fair.

Rick fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 25, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

In the end I decided to be professional but I am not totally sure it would've mattered because the corporate big wigs from the company that got us the box watched like five minutes of basketball in the second quarter after talking with each other in the back the rest of the time and then left.

E: Maybe judging someone's love of basketball on Suns/Utah in like April isn't fair.

No, totally fair. I am entrenched enough in corporate-world to be certain those people had no soul left. Judge away, they are simply cicada shells with VP titles now.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Glumslinger posted:

He's taller and a better passer than Steph Curry. His court vision is fantastic and he was the best shooter in college last year. He's got super quick handles and a super fast release. Curry is probably the best comp for him and I'd call him a better Steph Curry except Steph Curry is the best shooter in history which is uh a pretty big thing. Just because a guy is a great shooter in college doesn't mean you ought to expect him to shoot like the best shooter in NBA history. There are a lot of great shooters in the NBA and Curry is way above all of them except like Durant maybe. Russell could turn out to be a great shooter in the NBA but that's still more likely to mean he's got the accuracy of I dunno Brandon Knight or something than it is to mean he's going to be Curry. Still though he's a pretty great prospect. I think he'll be the best player in this draft but I'm an Ohio State fan.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings mocked to get Porzingis. Someone compared him to Anthony Davis (skillset and slender build) so I'm 100% on board now

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

WhyteRyce posted:

Kings mocked to get Porzingis. Someone compared him to Anthony Davis (skillset and slender build) so I'm 100% on board now
Must have been a CB Sevilla fan.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

@abe_squad
Actual exchange today:

Me: "If you could go to dinner with any 3 people...?"
Porzingis: "Rihanna, Beyonce and Jay-Z—like a double date."

I hope it goes better than the Drummond/iCarly date

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Joel Embiid is NOT gonna be happy that Kristaps wants to date his girlfriend

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

According to Ken Burger from cbs sports:

"If Emmanuel Mudiay falls to the Pistons at No. 8, they might be inclined to take him and let Reggie Jackson walk as a free agent. “They’re not 100 percent sold on Reggie,” a league source said. Detroit also likes Justise Winslow and Mario Hezonja at that spot, sources said, though Hezonja isn’t expected to get past the Magic at No. 5."

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Why is Cauley-Stein falling outside the top 10 on so many draft boards? Each time I saw him in college he was an absolute defensive beast. I understand him not being at the top of the draft but I have to imagine at worst he'll be a really good defender for a team. And he has the physical tools to be an elite defender. Even if his offense is garbage, that's one really good NBA skill you can bank on.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Niwrad posted:

Why is Cauley-Stein falling outside the top 10 on so many draft boards? Each time I saw him in college he was an absolute defensive beast. I understand him not being at the top of the draft but I have to imagine at worst he'll be a really good defender for a team. And he has the physical tools to be an elite defender. Even if his offense is garbage, that's one really good NBA skill you can bank on.

Injury + concerns of future injury

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25221818/report-willie-cauley-steins-injury-history-giving-teams-pause

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

Un-athletic white players in the lottery tend to be busts. I think we recognize Kaminsky's skills, his passing and his shooting, his crafty scoring. But it will be hard for him to do stuff we expect bigs to do, rebound and defend well around the basket. I think there are guys with higher upside in the top 10. If anyone wants him past that, it wouldn't be offensive. Getting someone functional is usually a victory at 10+

So, some weird amalgamation of Ryan Anderson, Luis Scola, and out-of-shape Lamar Odom?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

His medical are scary and Hezonja and The Zinger have risen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm convinced over my long history of following the draft process (this year, last years and Derrick William's year) that guys being good defenders is worthless (although maybe being awful matters).

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

So, some weird amalgamation of Ryan Anderson, Luis Scola, and out-of-shape Lamar Odom?

He's not going to be a post offense machine like Scola, he's not that strong, and he's crafty but not that crafty, Scola is a really big guy, not Lanky like Kaminsky. Quicker NBA defenders won't let him set up and wiggle his way to the rim the way they did in college. Anderson maaaaayyybe, if his shooting translates and his release is fast enough, Odom like in his versatility, maybe but out of shape lamar odom in real life was really bad.

The comp that's easiest for me to visualize is Brad Miller as a three point shooter, without the rebounding, with passing. Or Kelly Olynyk but with a higher ceiling/Spencer Hawes with a higher ceiling.

Rick posted:

I'm convinced over my long history of following the draft process (this year, last years and Derrick William's year) that guys being good defenders is worthless (although maybe being awful matters).
I think that's true. It's also why Stanley Johnson scares me, since he and Booker being the only guys around at 8 seems inevitable, now that Hezonja has risen and WCS has fallen.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 25, 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Jeez can't a guy just be a 7 footer who likes to knock down a couple threes without being Dirk or doomed to failure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
What is Porzingis' potential as a dunk prop

• Locked thread