Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Feather posted:

Yes, words mean things. In this case, "accurately" doesn't mean "precisely."

That picture depicts a choice between two equally bad options. Your words indicate that one option (Jeb as opposed to Hillary) is significantly worse than the other. So it doesn't accurately depict the situation at all.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. you're wrong, and South Park political comparisons turn me into an anal weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Zelder posted:

That picture depicts a choice between two equally bad options. Your words indicate that one option (Jeb as opposed to Hillary) is significantly worse than the other. So it doesn't accurately depict the situation at all.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. you're wrong, and South Park political comparisons turn me into an anal weirdo.

Man, this is going to be a long election cycle. :sigh:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Marco Rubio has competition for the true heir to the New American Century...

Lincoln Chafee

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

Marco Rubio has competition for the true heir to the New American Century...

Lincoln Chafee

New American Centimeter

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
When is the first debate happening?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Trump is in the top ten, that means: he's in the debate.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Zelder posted:

lets engage fully with this image - I will say that a large vaginal cleaning solution is less bad than a quantity of human fecal matter on bread

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Mordiceius posted:

When is the first debate happening?

http://www.uspresidentialelectionnews.com/2016-debate-schedule/2016-republican-primary-debate-schedule/

August 6, 2015 9pm ET - Republican Primary Debate
Aired On: Fox News Channel
Location: Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, OH (You have got to be making GBS threads me?) :homebrew:
Sponsors: Fox News, facebook
Moderators: Bret Baier, Megyn Kelly and Chris Wallace :lol:
Rules: Top 10 candidates in an average of 5 national polls
Candidates: To be determined

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lets engage fully with this image - I will say that a large vaginal cleaning solution is less bad than a quantity of human fecal matter on bread

Oh god, words mean things man. :barf:

Pohl fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 24, 2015

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

How the ever living gently caress is Trump second?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Primarily media exposure.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I will not accept these death of the author shenanigans! The creators clearly intended for both to be equally unpleasant, and...

*debate rages on for 10000 posts*

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FMguru posted:

Some more NBC/WSJ polling, showing both party's races and Hillary-vs-R matchups

I really want to see a 51-37 blowout by Hilary against some right wing dipshit like Walker. The freakout and "No True Conservative" bullshit they'd scream would be amazing.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I really want to see a 51-37 blowout by Hilary against some right wing dipshit like Walker. The freakout and "No True Conservative" bullshit they'd scream would be amazing.

12 points to a third candidate would be Perot-level impressive. And basically a repeat on how her husband got the job, so...yeah, precedent!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I must have missed the story of Trump actually filing with the FEC

it's all really happening

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mooyashi posted:

I must have missed the story of Trump actually filing with the FEC

it's all really happening

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

That gif needs to be way more gaudy than it is. We are talking about trump here.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Hahaha

Just for context, this is part of a twitter tantrum Donald Trump threw today whining that Neil Young called him out for using one of his songs during Trump's announcement.

I was worried Trump would tone it down on Twitter once he announced but he hasn't and his handle should be added to the OP of the USPol thread for people who Love 2 Laff

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I just want to see trump eat a corn dog

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Majestic posted:

I've been thinking about this for a while now, but I can't shake the feeling that Rubio may end up as the nominee. While Republican memories might have softened on GWB, I think Bush is still tied too closely to a very unpopular president, and so far his campaign has not appeared particularly competent. I think Walker is just not ready for the national stage, and this will become apparent as time goes on. He's legitimately not bright enough, even in the Republican field.

Rubio appears more competent and intelligent than the rest of the pack. While his refusal to hate all immigrants may cost him in some areas, I don't think it will be enough to hurt him significantly, nor will his own race be a big factor. Few of his positions seem radical enough that the party would be unwilling to line up behind him. People make various allusions to his "weaknesses", but the only one that stands out to me is that Jeb has probably grabbed most of the local donors that Rubio would be trying to leverage.

If Bush wasn't in the race, I think I'd be putting money down on Rubio. Even with him in it, I still have a feeling that Bush will die off, Walker will flame out, and nobody else is really relevant. I think Rubio will be left standing ala Mitt in 2012.

Other than immigration and donor access, is there anything else people see as a major impediment?

I also think that he'd be more threatening than most against Hilary in the general, though my money would still be on her.

In addition to having too much overlap with Bush as far as donors and voters goes, I don't think Rubio is ready yet. He's not Scott Walker levels of melting like butter in the hot glare of the media light, but I don't think he's going to be able to make it through without loving up. Dude thought it was a good idea to chug some water real quick during the State Of The Union rebuttal.

He definitely has a chance, because he's not Trump, or Santorum, or Cruz, or Carson. But Bush is going to have to flame out early for Rubio to really have a chance.

Pohl posted:

I just realized that I can't look at a Fox news graphic/poll without trying to figure out how they skewed it. Good job Fox.

Paul has a built in 10%, but what the hell is up with Carson? Lol at Cruz.

Carson declared at the perfect time, so no one's had a chance to really dig in and expose how loving insane the idea of President Dr. Ben Carson is. As a result he's coasting on appearing on Fox a lot and having positive name recognition. I'd be surprised if he makes it through the debates without quickly dropping to Graham numbers.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Third World Reggin posted:

I just want to see trump eat a corn dog

Pork Chop On A Stick is probably right out with the Ames straw poll canned

it makes me sad

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mooyashi posted:

Pork Chop On A Stick is probably right out with the Ames straw poll canned

it makes me sad

Oh don't worry, the Iowa State Fair is still very much happening.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Joementum posted:

Oh don't worry, the Iowa State Fair is still very much happening.

aw yisssssssss

totally forgot about that

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
WILL RAND PAUL BRING BACK THE BOUNCE SLIDE

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Destroy the Washington Machine*

*Must be 55 inches or taller

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mooyashi posted:

It's even better because inflation is basically non-existent right now.

mooyashi posted:

aw yisssssssss

totally forgot about that

Aww, shucky ducky.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mooyashi posted:

I had somehow never seen this and laughed for a full minute when I did. This image is just too good. Thank you.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm going to predict Trump to be the first to peak and burn out. A few more polls showing him hovering around second and the media glare will turn up, and if ever there was a candidate ready to say something dumb enough to sink their campaign it's Trump - his bar's just higher than usual, is all.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Feather posted:

Hillary vs Jeb! is in fact depicted accurately by the image, the messenger's credibility notwithstanding.

Hillary vs Jeb! I basically "moderate republican" vs. "far-right whackjob". The only progressive thing about it would be the fact that Hillary is a woman. And if she wins that will be a good thing, as far as it goes. But ultimately it will still be a win for conservative fiscal policy and moderate to left-of-center social policy, i.e. the status quo.

Could you please provide evidence that Hillary is a moderate Republican or fiscal conservative? That seems like an odd thing to just mention without support.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dolash posted:

I'm going to predict Trump to be the first to peak and burn out. A few more polls showing him hovering around second and the media glare will turn up, and if ever there was a candidate ready to say something dumb enough to sink their campaign it's Trump - his bar's just higher than usual, is all.

The question is: what could Donald Trump possibly say that's so dumb he'd sink his campaign? This is from his talk to the Maryland Republicans last night:

quote:

“Baltimore is a very, very special case, and it's a very sad thing that's happening there. And I know Baltimore...and I love Baltimore, and I love what it represents, and where it's gone, and now you look at what happened in one night, just in one night. I mean, other nights were a disaster but one night was catastrophic for Baltimore. You have to create spirit, you have to create jobs, you have to get people working, they have to want to work. And the other thing is, when President Obama got elected, I said look, one thing he's going to be a cheerleader for the country...and in actuality, he's just the opposite. And if you look at black and African—you just take a look—and if you look at black and African-American youth, I mean to a point where they've just about never done more poorly; there's no spirit, there's killings on an hourly basis, virtually, in places like Baltimore and Chicago, certain sections of Chicago, and many other places...Baltimore needs jobs, and it needs spirit. It's got no spirit, none.”

Then, he had dinner—chicken, rice, and green beans—and told the audience that “all due respect,” he hadn’t really wanted to come, but had done so as a favor. That didn’t keep him from speaking for 52 minutes—a State of the Union-length talk, but not so much a political speech as a score-settling march through a list of those against whom he has grievances, including Neil Young, Karl Rove, Cher, Chuck Todd, someone with the Club for Growth whose name he can’t remember—“David something; I’m falling asleep and he’s talking about growth.” He accused former George W. Bush spokeswoman Dana Perino of sucking up to him to get him to tweet something favorable about her book, then turning on him on Fox News: “And her book did OK. I wouldn’t say it’s exactly Gone with the Wind.” But then, what is?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dolash posted:

Trump's demographic is the section of the population that views dumb statements as a positive.

Edit: You can tell mostly because Donald Trump saying "I would be a great president" is so self-evidently dumb that this must be the case.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 25, 2015

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Dolash posted:

But Trump has a similar advantage to Hilary: he's been in the spotlight for so long everyone's pretty much made up their mind about them and they can't really disappoint outside of a dead girl/live boy situation. Trump will continue to have a loyal following of low-info "haha the dude with the hair from The Apprentice is running haha gently caress yeah" people, until the base galvanizes around 2-3 more "serious" candidates and Trump takes over Palin's spot on Fox News.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
"That didn’t keep him from speaking for 52 minutes"

"'I’m falling asleep and he’s talking about growth.'"

Stunning, yet unsurprising, lack of self awareness.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

The question is: what could Donald Trump possibly say that's so dumb he'd sink his campaign? This is from his talk to the Maryland Republicans last night:

I'm so glad he actually 'all due respect'ed a major US city

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Joementum posted:

gently caress you, Baltimore!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's even better because inflation is basically non-existent right now.

And based on his stance regarding bounce slides and zeppelins, he's clearly pro-inflation

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Pohl posted:

http://www.uspresidentialelectionnews.com/2016-debate-schedule/2016-republican-primary-debate-schedule/
August 6, 2015 9pm ET - Republican Primary Debate
Aired On: Fox News Channel
Location: Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, OH (You have got to be making GBS threads me?) :homebrew:

They need somewhere big enough to hold all the candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I want this just so we can hear idiot conservatives panicking "His last name is Castro! Like FIDEL CASTRO! He's obviously a communist."

Because conservatives haven't done enough to alienate Hispanic Americans.

I want him to be her running-mate so SA can get some spotlight and maybe push Hillary to fix infrastructure and urban/rural schools.

• Locked thread