Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

That's fair and honestly the best reason I've heard yet but if they were going to go that route they should have started with Elder Scrolls, a franchise in which Bethsoft has personally released a good game, instead of one that remains beloved almost exclusively through remaining goodwill for FO2 and Obsidian's grace. edit: :twisted:

Why? Fallout was the one that was changed to begin with--and it unfortunately ended up being too close to their other product. It's the one that needs a new and unique identity away from the Elder Scrolls--which, as Skyrim showed, was a system that works perfectly fine for a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just upset that Bethesda didn't consult the Games forum when they where designing this game. Rope Kid understood what a pillar of the community SA is and rightfully consulted us during the design process of New Vegas. We could have pointed out all of these problems much earlier.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rutibex posted:

I'm just upset that Bethesda didn't consult the Games forum when they where designing this game. Rope Kid understood what a pillar of the community SA is and rightfully consulted us during the design process of New Vegas. We could have pointed out all of these problems much earlier.
While you're ironyposting, the SA forum is seriously part of why New Vegas has far less bugs than Fallout 3 because rope kid actually listens and actually relays what we find to the programmers! Compare to Bethesda's official forums and tweets directed get ignored until the gaming press writes about them in which case the serious bugs have a 40% chance of getting fixed.

SA: much better QA than Bethesda's

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I wouldn't want to be a Bethesda employer showing up to post in this thread :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Shugojin posted:

Fallout 4 is gonna cash in on that Controversy Dollar by featuring Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as the villain

Controversy dollar, that's a big dollar. They're very smart to go after that dollar.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

frajaq posted:

You wouldn't want to be Zenimax Media?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

frajaq posted:

Well yeah, they signed an NDA so all they can do is say nothing or get fired.

Not a very fun pair of choices.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Azhais posted:

You wouldn't want to be Zenimax Media?

You know, someone mentioned that Bethesda's voice work and stories were all hackneyed and low quality because their media connections lets them call in talent most other studios don't have access to for cheap, so they don't bother trying hard or making sure the money is spent well. But for the life of me I can't think of a single other thing Zenimax has done, other than own this studio and buy id.

There was really nothing to suggest why they'd have easy access to Hollywood A and B listers until I googled their company and realized the president of CBS and Jerry Bruckheimer were part of the board of directors. Along with Donald Trump's brother. Are they seriously calling in favours for poo poo like this? They couldn't rope in a few poor rear end script writers or someone like Ridley Scott to help out where it counts? Not that I play these game for their Pulitzer Prize winning stories or class act voice work.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shugojin posted:

Fallout 4 is gonna cash in on that Controversy Dollar by featuring Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as the villain

You think I was kidding when I said Bethesda was just gonna rehash the plot to blow up megaton with Mr. Tsarnaev in the role of Mr. Burke in Boston.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

We're gonna have Jack from ME as the female protag's voice what more do people want

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

frajaq posted:

We're gonna have Jack from ME as the female protag's voice what more do people want

They want to whine.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

frajaq posted:

I was hoping for Jack from Gears of War

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
I am not familiar with the Greater Boston/New England area, any idea on cool DLC locations? Canada, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island don't sound very exciting. Hopefully some cool point lookout -esque location. Gotta figure the first DLC will be released around this time next year and is probably what bethesda's creative talent is working on right now. I'd imagine FO4 is largely in QA and bug fixing phase right now.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

texaholic posted:

I am not familiar with the Greater Boston/New England area, any idea on cool DLC locations? Canada, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island don't sound very exciting. Hopefully some cool point lookout -esque location. Gotta figure the first DLC will be released around this time next year and is probably what bethesda's creative talent is working on right now. I'd imagine FO4 is largely in QA and bug fixing phase right now.

An elaborate attempt to break into New York City, complete with a truckload of hamfisted Escape From New York "references".

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Shugojin posted:

An elaborate attempt to break into New York City, complete with a truckload of hamfisted Escape From New York "references".

Yes.

gently caress it, just make it all the John Carpenter references, and give us companions who are all literally Kurt Russell reprising all his Carpenter roles.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

frajaq posted:

Writing that's less lovely than what we got in the questlines for the Thieves Guild, Civil War, and Dawnguard in Skyrim.

texaholic posted:

I am not familiar with the Greater Boston/New England area, any idea on cool DLC locations? Canada, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island don't sound very exciting. Hopefully some cool point lookout -esque location.
Get hyped for the Fallout/Family Guy crossover expansion Fallout Guy! And be sure not to miss the one hour Family Guy tie-in special New Year's Day on FOX.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah it's honestly pretty likely and I may even enjoy it if only because I kinda hate Manhattan and want to see its nuked to poo poo remains.

I just know that none of the jokes will come even close to making me giggle as much as the one in MGS2 did :sigh:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
If we're just talking neighboring MA cities, you have Plymouth and Salem which could be interesting. Particularly the latter with the "witchcraft" connection, maybe tribes have taken over and start practicing old superstitions because of the tacky tourist trade.

I mean look at the GIS: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...365.6eaD_JGpw4A

I could see somebody post-war believing that people actually practiced witchcraft, and thinking that souvenir trinkets are supernatural artifacts.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bring in references to the Dunwich building and a community trying to crossbreed with mirelurks.

Just go nuts with references, really, but instead of interdimensional horrors from beyond space and time it's just super-intelligent radioactive flying mushrooms or giant skinless penguin monsters that formed a symbiotic relationship with starfish or something.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 25, 2015

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Lotish posted:

Yes.

gently caress it, just make it all the John Carpenter references, and give us companions who are all literally Kurt Russell reprising all his Carpenter roles.

This would literally be better than whatever writing Bethesda came up with for crew xbox.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lotish posted:

Yes.

Hunting a fleshy, pink, shapeshifting descendant of the Master in post-apocalyptic New York with an eye-patch wearing renegade and yet another Elvis impersonator.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Ol' Jack says, "What the hell."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lotish posted:

I would adore this, I'm a big Carpenter fan (and yet, oddly and shamefully, I have yet to see Escape from New York).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hell, I just learned Kurt named one of his kids Boston.

This has to happen, Bethesda.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Apparently a guy on imgur sent Bethesda this.

said person gets a free copy of the game for his efforts.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Did the person send the bobblehead too?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lotish posted:

Ol' Jack says, "What the hell."

"I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Now I want a mod that just replaces all player speech with Kurt Russell quotes.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i'm extremely interested in listen to everyone here for the next 5 months as we all wait patiently

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

"patiently"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lotish posted:

Yes.

With Bethesda in charge I fear this sort of thing might turn into "Escape from New Jersey"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lotish posted:

Apparently a guy on imgur sent Bethesda this.

said person gets a free copy of the game for his efforts.

This is just going to lead to people mailing in bags of bottle caps in a "me too" fashion.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

MeruFM posted:

i'm extremely interested in listen to everyone here for the next 5 months as we all wait patiently

Fantastic. I've got five months worth of stuff to talk to you about.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Shugojin posted:

end boss is derek jeter

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lotish posted:

Now I want a mod that just replaces all player speech with Kurt Russell quotes.

There was apparently a Fallout 3 mod that made it so if you tell the NPC named "Dad" that you blew up Megaton he recites Liam Neeson's speech from Batman Begins about how Gotham is diseased but replacing Gotham with Megaton. I looked for that mod but could never find it which is good because if I had I'd probably have bought and played Fallout 3 on PC to see it in action.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

MeruFM posted:

Don't worry, we'll have plenty to talk about when an angry retail chain employee outs Bethesda on the artificial scarcity of the PIP-Boy edition.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Fantastic. I've got five months worth of stuff to talk to you about.
Is there still a dumpster for rent at the Monster Brewhaus? I'm an up-and-coming alcoholic looking to settle down into a once-a-week sitcom lifestyle.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lotish posted:

Yes.

Make the Arkham Lovecraft stuff just a bunch of In the Mouth of Madness references, hell get Sam Neill, he needs the money for his winery hobby.

I do kind of want to see what happened in DC a few years after FO3, did the EC Brotherhood spread out as a new nationstate? Absorbing the Pitt to form an industrial base from which they could spread Northward?

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

frajaq posted:

basic competency

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

Is there still a dumpster for rent at the Monster Brewhaus? I'm an up-and-coming alcoholic looking to settle down into a once-a-week sitcom lifestyle.

In Prison Architect, "rules" were implemented to determine whether or not a player's construct constituted a prison cell (bed, toilet, door), a shower (shower head), a morgue (dead bodies), etc. The development of these rules freed players from the constraints of needing to build specific rooms in very specific ways. So if you wanted enormous, football-field-sized showers, you could do that; if you wanted closet-sized prison cells, you could do that too...so long as the basic requirements were met.

In Fallout 4, there will be similar rules in place for building your trash-dump-metropolis. You want a bar in your town? First you need to have the "Dipsomaniac" perk (to unlock the actual purchasable "bar" furniture piece); then it's as simple as placing it in a room with four walls and a door. You want to build an inn? No problem, all you need is to have the "Bloody Benders" perk--then you can put a bed in a room with four walls and a door. Armory? Just need the "Gun Fetishist" perk, then you can put a reloading bench in a room with four walls and a door.

The thing is, the detection for these rules will be buggy, and the definitions for some of the qualifying items is deliberately vague. So a wad of trash in the corner of a plywood closet will constitute a "bedroom"; a handful of 10mm bullets dropped into the middle of a bare warehouse will count as an "armory". Towns constructed entirely of tires and trashbag-tarps materialize before the player's eyes. Filthy NPCs sleep standing on newspaper mounds in tiny chain-link lockers like Brahmin--the sun beats down on them mercilessly. Townies gather and behave like they're inside a bar, but it's really just a bathtub filled with liquor bottles. A dumpster filled with items only pennies above "scrap" is flagged as a "trade market" where dull-eyed NPCs silently congregate.

And for these flimsiest of accommodations, the player boldly collects "rent" that is used to build more cages, more decoy rooms, and more neon-sign swastikas.

At the end of the day, the player retreats from this farce and crouches in a trash can just beyond the hill; he watches, hawkish, and waits for the inevitable raider or super mutant attack. There are no defenses. They cost too much, and he never picked the perk that unlocked the level 1 options for them, anyway.

EDIT: Anyway, yeah, there's always room at the Monster Brewhaus.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You want to build an inn? No problem, all you need is to have the "Bloody Benders" perk--then you can put a bed in a room with four walls and a door.

Haha, oh you.

• Locked thread