Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Shibawanko posted:

I really don't "get" Kongs. I bought one for my dog. She seems to detest the rubbery taste. If I put something particularly delicious inside, like homemade liver cake for dogs, she will try to get it out for a few minutes, but she usually gives up. Maybe they only work for large breeds? Her jaws don't have the force necessary to squeeze what's inside out, and the hole is too small for her snout, so she can only lick inside or maybe shake it and pick it up, but it doesn't seem like she gives a poo poo. I'm not sure what's supposed to be so good about them.

Most dogs will take a while to get used to them. If she doesn't have strong jaws, the puppy kong may be better.

The entire point is for her to only be able to lick/shake though. If she could stick her face in, what would be the point?

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

There's a small, shallow swimming hole that I would like to visit with him (I'm going to get him a little life vest, and let him go into the water if he desires), but it's a 1.2 mile walk/hike from the parking area. Is this too much for a 4 month old?

I'd probably suggest carrying him there, but let him splash and walk back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Fraction posted:

Most dogs will take a while to get used to them. If she doesn't have strong jaws, the puppy kong may be better.

The entire point is for her to only be able to lick/shake though. If she could stick her face in, what would be the point?

Tanky was the same, she had no idea what she was supposed to do so got bored. Now her jaw is stronger and she is big enough to get her teeth around it she will chew on it until everything is out and then spend a good hour trying to get every last bit of peanut butter out. Another good thing to try is beef bones from the butcher. Since they are not cooked they are not brittle and it take a while for them to get all the marrow out.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

One thing I like to do with my pup (13wk old bc) is soak some of his puppy food in a cup of water for a few hr. Once it's very very soft I squish it into the Kong with a dab of pb or that squirty Kong stuff and freeze overnight. He gets that twice a day, once when I leave for work in morn and once post lunch, and he's always finished em when I get back. Plus that way I know he's not getting full up on lovely empty calories V:shobon:V

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

BigPaddy posted:

Tanky was the same, she had no idea what she was supposed to do so got bored. Now her jaw is stronger and she is big enough to get her teeth around it she will chew on it until everything is out and then spend a good hour trying to get every last bit of peanut butter out. Another good thing to try is beef bones from the butcher. Since they are not cooked they are not brittle and it take a while for them to get all the marrow out.

I used to give my dogs lots of smoked bones. She recently chipped a canine on them and now I'm all pissed that I let her. I'd heard that dogs chipped teeth on weight bearing bones like this, but figured it wasn't too likely. Now I wish I hadn't.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

a life less posted:

I used to give my dogs lots of smoked bones. She recently chipped a canine on them and now I'm all pissed that I let her. I'd heard that dogs chipped teeth on weight bearing bones like this, but figured it wasn't too likely. Now I wish I hadn't.

Yeah there are definitely risks to weight bearing bones and thick beef soup bones. My dog was always a very careful chewer and I wasn't really worried about feeding them. Until he cracked a tooth and I had to spend $600 to have it pulled. He still gets bones but I'm a lot more careful about them now.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

This is making me much less happy about giving the dogs smoked bones :smith:

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
This is Ziggy. He is a rescue and a good dog.

Vet says he's a Brussels Griffon mix, probably some Cairn Terrier in there too, could be anywhere between 1 and 4 years old.

He hasn't made any noise louder than a yawn in the 24 hours that I have known him and loves to give kisses. I love him.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Fraction posted:

I'd probably suggest carrying him there, but let him splash and walk back.

I'm intending to take him to this place (called "pot rocks" in Maryland). Does it look okay for him? I wanted some area where it's legal for me to get into the water with him so that I can coax him in, and help him if something goes wrong

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My dog has jaws of steel and manages to break off chunks of any type of bone I give him and sometimes ingests them. One time he got a really expensive blockage, the other time he puked EVERYWHERE (LITERALLY EVERYWHERE) horking it back up. No more bones for Pistol, only edible chewy things.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I didn't reply before but thanks very much to everyone for their advice re toilet training our Pomeranian. I made a divider for the cage and went back to not letting her out of our sight. We are getting somewhere. I also put up bells by the door. It's taken more than 3 weeks of consistently ringing them/making her ring them every time she goes out but finally she just worked it out! Not a very intelligent animal.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I'm intending to take him to this place (called "pot rocks" in Maryland). Does it look okay for him? I wanted some area where it's legal for me to get into the water with him so that I can coax him in, and help him if something goes wrong

It should be fine. Just keep him on a long line or something so he can't accidentally float/swim away.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
I have come to recommend dog back packs to the death and back, These things are awesome and handy.

also medals.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Dog is a really messy drinker. I have him drinking out of a regular bowl right now and probably upgrading him to a gravity fed water container soon. I saw these Drymate dog bowl mats and was curious if anyone had any good experience with them?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

I really don't "get" Kongs. I bought one for my dog. She seems to detest the rubbery taste. If I put something particularly delicious inside, like homemade liver cake for dogs, she will try to get it out for a few minutes, but she usually gives up. Maybe they only work for large breeds? Her jaws don't have the force necessary to squeeze what's inside out, and the hole is too small for her snout, so she can only lick inside or maybe shake it and pick it up, but it doesn't seem like she gives a poo poo. I'm not sure what's supposed to be so good about them.

Sterling (sheltie) was the same. At 9 months he now prefers the Kong bone (stuffed with wet food or peanut butter) and is now coming around to his puppy kong again and carries it around. I think it was just too big for him to carry and play with (beyond licking the inside) when he was a really little pup.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My wife and I will be picking up our first dog from a shelter in a few days after she's been spayed and chipped. She's never had a dog and I had a few as a kid but not one I the last decade or so. We have kids and cats and a nice big yard.

The dog is a lab mix around 2 years old and was picked up as a stray so We're unsure of her history. Does every thing in the OP still apply to slightly older dogs? Should we be looking at crates as opposed to a simple dog bed and all the training stuff still applies? My wife is home all day so we should be able to get some good and consistent training with her when she arrives.

Thanks.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'm afraid to inject a little E/N here, but I'm nearing my wits end.

For two weeks, my wife and I agreed to watch my mother-in-law's dog, a six year old Chinese-crested powder puff mix. He's cute and fun, but has moderate to severe separation anxiety. Since I work for home and my wife is pregnant, I'm 90% of his temporary caregiver and he's a "Velcro dog". I'm used to dogs wanting to be nearby their primary, but not like this. I can't do anything without him following me (I can't even shower without him pawing and whining at the door the entire time). On it's own, I'd say this issue is mild to occasionally strong irritant.

Despite his age he's not very housebroken (or has issues around it). I give him a good sixty minute walk once a day and bring him outside every couple of hours during the day to do his business for 5-15 minutes at a time. Yet he still goes inside, sometimes within minutes of coming in after a bathroom break! My frustration was compounded earlier in the week when I have to leave for an errand went through the stages of planning and giving ourselves enough time to give him a healthy bathroom break, only to return thirty minutes to find that he's gone in the house. This second issue is really, really bothering me (and I'm frustrated that he didn't demonstrate this behavior when we watched him last year).

Combined, these issues have really soured me on the dog and I'm building an unhealthy resentment.

I'm not under any illusions of changing his behavior within the next five days. Are there any tips or suggestions on how I can keep a better headspace about the situation for the coming week?

Thanks.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Cheesus posted:

I'm afraid to inject a little E/N here, but I'm nearing my wits end.

For two weeks, my wife and I agreed to watch my mother-in-law's dog, a six year old Chinese-crested powder puff mix. He's cute and fun, but has moderate to severe separation anxiety. Since I work for home and my wife is pregnant, I'm 90% of his temporary caregiver and he's a "Velcro dog". I'm used to dogs wanting to be nearby their primary, but not like this. I can't do anything without him following me (I can't even shower without him pawing and whining at the door the entire time). On it's own, I'd say this issue is mild to occasionally strong irritant.

Despite his age he's not very housebroken (or has issues around it). I give him a good sixty minute walk once a day and bring him outside every couple of hours during the day to do his business for 5-15 minutes at a time. Yet he still goes inside, sometimes within minutes of coming in after a bathroom break! My frustration was compounded earlier in the week when I have to leave for an errand went through the stages of planning and giving ourselves enough time to give him a healthy bathroom break, only to return thirty minutes to find that he's gone in the house. This second issue is really, really bothering me (and I'm frustrated that he didn't demonstrate this behavior when we watched him last year).

Combined, these issues have really soured me on the dog and I'm building an unhealthy resentment.

I'm not under any illusions of changing his behavior within the next five days. Are there any tips or suggestions on how I can keep a better headspace about the situation for the coming week?

Thanks.

Would he go on pee pads if left the option, he'd still go inside, but at least you'd just pick it up and throw it out.

My parents have given up on re-house training their dog after my grandfather passed. (he was home all day so dog got to go out whenever. With him gone he's having to hold it for a 8 hour workday and they gave up crate training him too, so its a mess party more often than not. doubly so if they don't leave out a pad)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

couldcareless posted:

Dog is a really messy drinker. I have him drinking out of a regular bowl right now and probably upgrading him to a gravity fed water container soon. I saw these Drymate dog bowl mats and was curious if anyone had any good experience with them?

My dogs are the messiest drinkers. We have an absorbent water bowl pad under the bowl (I forget which brand) but what really helped keep the water in the bowl was buying them a bigger bowl. It seems counter-intuitive, but they'll still stick their heads in the center of the bowl and most of the splashing ends up contained within the bowl and the mat catches the small amount that splashes outside.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Alice tries to grab the picture at the bottom of her water bowl like a kid in a 3D movie theatre. I just switched to a hamster style water bottle for now. I've seen some water bowls with an extra outer flat edge to catch water spills.

Today she's finally allowed to go outside. She's learned to use the indoor sheets too.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Can you guys give me an idea of what to expect when I have my dog neutered? He's about 6.5 months old now. I'm worried that he has so much energy that he's going to be a nightmare to care for post-surgery. I don't want him splitting open his wound or anything.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Ehud posted:

Can you guys give me an idea of what to expect when I have my dog neutered? He's about 6.5 months old now. I'm worried that he has so much energy that he's going to be a nightmare to care for post-surgery. I don't want him splitting open his wound or anything.

Give him lots of long lasting chews for a few days and work on tricks, nose work games, etc to keep him busy. Your vet will advise for you to keep him calm for a week or two, and rightly so, but the incision will likely be a non-issue within a day.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a life less posted:

Give him lots of long lasting chews for a few days and work on tricks, nose work games, etc to keep him busy. Your vet will advise for you to keep him calm for a week or two, and rightly so, but the incision will likely be a non-issue within a day.

Okay, that doesn't sound too bad. He's just go so much energy right now that the thought of keeping him calm for more than a day or two has me all :stonk:

Does he have to wear a funny cone?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
My fiance found a ~2 week old pup in a dumpster on a pile of its dead siblings, people are loving horrible. She brought it to the vet, and the pup was given fluids, a checkup, and sexed. We found an experienced orphaned puppy foster to bottle feed her for a few weeks and we're seriously considering taking her in after the fact. I'm not an experienced dog person, but the fiance is. We both foster and own rabbits and horses, and have adequate housing currently and will be buying farmland in the next year and have been casually keeping an eye on rescues to adopt a pup anyway.

I don't really have much in the way of questions other than to come here and commiserate about how awful people are. How could you possibly dump this?

That said, anyone have any guesses as to her breed?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Noise Complaint posted:

My fiance found a ~2 week old pup in a dumpster on a pile of its dead siblings, people are loving horrible.

Oh my god :smith:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Ehud posted:

Okay, that doesn't sound too bad. He's just go so much energy right now that the thought of keeping him calm for more than a day or two has me all :stonk:

Does he have to wear a funny cone?

He'll probably be sent home with a cone. My preference is to leave the cone on him for the first day, and then only put it back on him when he's unattended afterwards, as long as you can supervise directly him and he's not bothering his incision. As soon as he does, cone goes back on and you try to allow him a bit more freedom in a day or two.

Noise Complaint posted:

My fiance found a ~2 week old pup in a dumpster on a pile of its dead siblings, people are loving horrible. She brought it to the vet, and the pup was given fluids, a checkup, and sexed. We found an experienced orphaned puppy foster to bottle feed her for a few weeks and we're seriously considering taking her in after the fact. I'm not an experienced dog person, but the fiance is. We both foster and own rabbits and horses, and have adequate housing currently and will be buying farmland in the next year and have been casually keeping an eye on rescues to adopt a pup anyway.

I don't really have much in the way of questions other than to come here and commiserate about how awful people are. How could you possibly dump this?

Looks kind of Shih-tzuish to me. Hard to tell without knowing size. Plus all small fuzzy dogs look the same to me.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Noise Complaint posted:

Oh my god.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Some people need a good slap, with a piece of wood, full of nails, repeatedly.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Here's some happier pictures :)

She went to the vet again today because she hasn't pooped yet though she's been eating like a greedy little puppy and peeing on her own.

We're trying to pick a good solid name for her.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Noise Complaint posted:

Here's some happier pictures :)

She went to the vet again today because she hasn't pooped yet though she's been eating like a greedy little puppy and peeing on her own.

We're trying to pick a good solid name for her.

She seems like an "Ada"

Also Pax has spontaneously taken to water :D

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

She seems like an "Ada"

Also Pax has spontaneously taken to water :D

Or maybe an "Aida".

Btw how's tanky?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oscarine

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Or maybe an "Aida".

Btw how's tanky?

I dunno man.

P. sure this is an Aida.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Noise Complaint posted:

Looks like a potato to me (a cute one, though).

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
"Zemiakov" means potato in Slovak. Maybe "zemia"?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Here are some more potatoes:

"Viazi" (Swahili)
"Kartoshka" (Uzbek, maybe call her toshka)

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Aren't there any famous women trash-dwellers? I like where you're going with this.

Or maybe Penny or Clover, things that are supposed to be good luck.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

cyberia posted:

Looks like a potato to me (a cute one, though).

puppy name: spud

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Btw how's tanky?

She is good, has her last set of shots tomorrow and finished puppy day school today. Managed to get her to understand that yes she can get in and out of the car without needing to be carried and spent an hour last night running around the local dog park putting all the other dogs in their place.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Hank riding to work with me this morning. He's getting way better with his crate, can already "sit" and "lay down", which is neat. He's only 12 weeks, but I think he's pretty smart for a little guy.

He did, however, decide to pull on the plants at work today and rip them all off the shelf, so he'll be going home after lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Hey, where do y'all get your puppy food from? The closest reliable pet store is a Petco, and they're pretty expensive and far away. I'm looking for a service that delivers, and the food I get is very expensive or difficult to find on Amazon.