Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Somewhere in Time has possibly my favorite production values out of any Maiden album. Those double kicks by Nicko are the best ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Virtual XI isnt that bad and X Factor isnt that good; I'd say they are both hit and miss. Anyway, Final Frontier is the only album that I didn't like at all.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vargatron posted:

Somewhere in Time has possibly my favorite production values out of any Maiden album. Those double kicks by Nicko are the best ever.

Phantom of the Opera is what made me want me want to get good at the guitar, I'm glad I decided that ages ago.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Phantom of the Opera is what made me want me want to get good at the guitar, I'm glad I decided that ages ago.

Cool story, glad you really like the self-titled album :smuggo:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Am I the only one who really loves Dance of Death? It's one of my favourite Maiden albums, together with Brave New World and Fear of the Dark.

SvenRichter
Apr 5, 2015

Look at my face.

Bruce Kison posted:

Anyway, Final Frontier is the only album that I didn't like at all.

Really? Not even "When The Wild Wind Blows"?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfekV7e9YUE

Even the stuff that gets panned as filler still really rocks.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Nordick posted:

Am I the only one who really loves Dance of Death? It's one of my favourite Maiden albums, together with Brave New World and Fear of the Dark.

You are not alone. That is by far my favorite Maiden album, followed by Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

The Capitulator posted:

You are alone.

No he's not, Iron Maiden are lame as hell. I hate everything about them: the stupid "operatic" vocals; the lovely, outdated, high-pitched guitar tones, the cheesy "epic" lyrics. Ugh they're so lame. :mad:

That first album with "Prowler" and "Phantom of the Opera" on really was awesome though :xd:

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

The new Abyssal is out and it's fully sick: https://abyssal-home.bandcamp.com/

Their last album would've been AOTY 2013, IMO, were it not for the release of new material by Grave Miasma, Ulcerate, and Gorguts.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

fuf posted:

No he's not, Iron Maiden are lame as hell. I hate everything about them: the stupid "operatic" vocals; the lovely, outdated, high-pitched guitar tones, the cheesy "epic" lyrics. Ugh they're so lame. :mad:

That first album with "Prowler" and "Phantom of the Opera" on really was awesome though :xd:

How does a guitar tone become 'outdated'?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think it's a clumsy way of referring to it as "dated," which is a pretty common criticism of a lot of music, especially from the 80s.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

I've always tried to like Iron Maiden but I think must be the only metal fan who can't stand the sound of Bruce Dickinson's voice? It's just so shrill and irritating that I can barely listen through one of their albums.

Same. I don't like Dio or Judas Priest or any of that stuff either for the same reason. King Diamond is pretty sweet though :D

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

A human heart posted:

How does a guitar tone become 'outdated'?

I dunno, I think it's possible to criticize an album for having dated production, or a guitar tone that hearkens back uncomfortably to certain trends (such as the scooped-mids Pantera tone that was all the rage mid-90s). I just don't think those criticisms apply to Maiden.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Maiden has great production. You can actually hear the instruments and playing dynamics and they understand managing sonic space. The worst thing about 99% of modern metal is the horrible production.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kilometers Davis posted:

Maiden has great production. You can actually hear the instruments and playing dynamics and they understand managing sonic space. The worst thing about 99% of modern metal is the horrible production.

"Bass guitar? What bass guitar?"

See also clicking kick drums.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think it's a clumsy way of referring to it as "dated," which is a pretty common criticism of a lot of music, especially from the 80s.

Nowadays if it's not over-compressed, over-saturated, over-produced drop G tuning it sounds dated apparently.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

The Final Frontier had dogshit production though

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Realized today that it had been months since I listened to Gojira so I went on a binge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPJNiaHQw4I

loving love this band.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The new black dahlia murder song is pretty sick:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/06/24/the-black-dahlia-murder-vlad-son-of-the-dragon/

I know a lot of people hate them, particularly the vocals, but metal vocals are always bad anyway so who cares.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Actually, metal vocals are quite often good. They shouldn't make or break a band for you though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Time to get annihilated tonight - Withdrawal / Black Breath / Ringworm / Goatwhore

fuckkkkkkkkkk

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

funeral fag posted:

The Final Frontier had dogshit production though

This is weird to me because Kevin Shirley has been producing Maiden albums since 2000 and I've really enjoyed his work up until The Final Frontier, which sounded kinda weak.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Time to get annihilated tonight - Withdrawal / Black Breath / Ringworm / Goatwhore

fuckkkkkkkkkk

I'm doing that on Saturday.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Trees and Squids posted:

This is weird to me because Kevin Shirley has been producing Maiden albums since 2000 and I've really enjoyed his work up until The Final Frontier, which sounded kinda weak.

Maybe they need to get an actual producer to weigh in on the songwriting and maybe cut down on the repetition instead of what amounts to just a recording engineer.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

SvenRichter posted:

Really? Not even "When The Wild Wind Blows"?

I dont think it sucks, but I dont like it either. It just didnt click with me.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

*knock* *knock*
--who's there?

Album of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaFIDnsWCQQ

I can't remember the last time I've heard something so ceaselessly extravagant that I didn't hate. This album is like eating an entire cheesecake to yourself but instead of descending into a pit of self-loathing, you just wake up and it was all a wonderful dream.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just bought a literal drum & bass album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7TXEvUjCzI

E: And also the self-titled debut album by Piss Vortex, on "piss yellow vinyl" because why not?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 26, 2015

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I just bought a literal drum & bass album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7TXEvUjCzI

E: And also the self-titled debut album by Piss Vortex, on "piss yellow vinyl" because why not?

speaking of debut albums by bands with piss in the name, the Pissgrave debut is going to be good if this preview track is an indicator: https://soundcloud.com/profoundlorerecords/pissgrave-impaled-vibration

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

try it with a lime posted:

*knock* *knock*
--who's there?

Album of the year.

I can't remember the last time I've heard something so ceaselessly extravagant that I didn't hate. This album is like eating an entire cheesecake to yourself but instead of descending into a pit of self-loathing, you just wake up and it was all a wonderful dream.
the guitar leads are straight out of dark tranquillity's first album and the melodies are straight out of a 1993 Apogee game

this is p. good in other words

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Gamma Ray news:

quote:

“Heading For Tomorrow (Anniversary Edition)” will be released on July 24th, 2015 on earMUSIC.

25 years after the official debut, Gamma Ray and earMUSIC have started a monumental work to re-release the entire production by Gamma Ray in deluxe double CDs.
The original albums will be re-presented in new shining, remastered version on the first disc (with the inclusions of all B-sides) while the second CD will be dedicated to old live recordings, demos digitalised for the first time from the original tapes saved by all members of the band, alternative versions and recent studio and live recordings.

That's pretty cool I guess. I just hope the remastering is well done.* Really digging the cover art.

*: I mean it's already been remastered before, so I hope they won't gently caress with it. Not that I'll be getting the album, but it would just be a shame.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 26, 2015

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

*knock* *knock*
--who's there?

Album of the year.

this is great, but black metal vocals :(

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Maryland Deathfest posted:

Maryland Deathfest
Here we go again!

MDF XIV
MDF 26-29, 2016
Edison Lot, Rams Head Live, Baltimore Soundstage

30 bands confirmed for MDF XIV:

Auroch (Canada)
Bongripper
Bongzilla
Denouncement Pyre (Australia)
Deströyer 666
Disgorge
Exciter
Gruesome
Haemorrhage (Spain)
Hail of Bullets (Netherlands)
The Haunted (Sweden)
Jungle Rot
Khold (Norway)
Lord Belial (Sweden)
Malignant Tumour (Czech Republic)
Mitochondrion (Canada)
Nocturnal Graves (Australia)
Phobocosm (Canada)
Putrid Pile
Samael (Switzerland) - "Ceremony of Opposites" set
Saturnalia Temple (Sweden)
Severe Torture (Netherlands)
Sinister (Netherlands)
Svartidauði (Iceland)
Svarttjern (Norway)
Thulcandra (Germany)
Tulus (Norway)
Venom (UK)
Visceral Disgorge
Wormed (Spain)

Holy poo poo.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
Congrats to the Bearstorm guy that posts here, Nocleansinging gave you guys quite a write-up

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Loving the poo poo out of Coma Ecliptic. Not sure if it's better than Colors for me but it's coming drat close!

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian

*knock* *knock*
--who's there?

Album of the year.

lol this is pretty bad

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, speaking of Morbid Angel, I'm pretty sure Formulas Fatal to the Flesh is my favorite album of theirs, after much listening and pondering.

Am I alone in my enjoyment? Before this month I'd always kinda skipped over them for some reason, and remedied that, and FFTTF if loving brutal. Love the overall sound and feel.

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian
If Altars of Madness is not your favorite you're doing it wrong.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

saviro posted:

Altars of Madness

Yeah, it pretty much goes down hill from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

*knock* *knock*
--who's there?

Album of the year.

I disagree with the person above and think it's awesome. The new Google Play radio station for the band is top notch as well.