Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Microcline posted:

Not often. Shiva and Ramuh are great for taking down Liquid Flame and Byblos in the first world, and it generally also means skipping Carbuncle who's useful for World 2 Exdeath (and a few World 3 bosses). In the Fiesta it's generally not worth it to have a less-than-50% chance of casting a good summon for free (Slydra with the gold hairpin is only 16 MP anyway). It's much easier to buy a few Ethers than to grind reflect rings. You can skip Chokobo/Remora/Slyph if you want though, as they're always available and obsolete as soon as you get Shiva.

Lilli posted:

Im of the opinion its not. !Call requires you to grind a lot of AP for each person that you want doing it, and the end result is still getting a random summon instead of just slamming out the one you want each turn every turn and then drinking an elixir when you run out of mo.

Aight, that's what I wanted to know. I'll just get the summons normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

My very first Fiesta Victory! :unsmith:

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Parallax Scroll posted:

I've got Monk/Summoner so far. I hear there's a trick where you skip getting a bunch of the summons. Is it worth doing?

Ehh not really. !Call only uses summons you have so if you skip getting the first 3 which have limited early use it'll just up your chance of using one of the good summons.
Just putting !Summon on someone is better unless they have very, very low MP.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FillInTheBlank posted:

Just putting !Summon on someone is better unless they have very, very low MP.

Which is ameliorated by putting !Summon on them, since it gives them a Summoner's Magic Power stat and thus their MP level.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
My team can hit the Rift at this point, but I've only got one person with Equip Ribbons learned, which I want for everybody since it's pretty much the only decent passive for my two Zerkers and my Samurai (the Dancer will keep Shirahadori instead, except for the final battle where she'll be tossing gil with the samurai when she's not item-botting or Chicken Dancing). Should I just hit the Rift anyway, or make a quick stop over to Phoenix Tower and visit the Magic Pots?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
So, after years of watching this from afar, I decided to go ahead and register (thanks, iOS sale on FFV). Because it makes perfect sense to do this on a game I haven't played in about 8 years, I registered Chaos and got ninja as my first job.

So the idea here is I freelancer until I reach the second crystal, ask for my next job, and then reassign characters if I actually get a usable job then, right?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tortolia posted:

So, after years of watching this from afar, I decided to go ahead and register (thanks, iOS sale on FFV). Because it makes perfect sense to do this on a game I haven't played in about 8 years, I registered Chaos and got ninja as my first job.

So the idea here is I freelancer until I reach the second crystal, ask for my next job, and then reassign characters if I actually get a usable job then, right?

That.

Or you can download the mod in the first post and start using Ninja immediately.

Which probably breaks early difficulty in half.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Run 2 finally gives me my first fiesta chemist. It was kind of funny really

Crystal 1: Knight - "Neat. Solid base class. I hope I get something interesting to abuse along with it."
Crystal 2: Geomancer - :geno: "Oh. I see."
Crystal 3: Bard - "Well that should lock in a pretty easy win no matter what. Might take some grinding to get his his up I guess for NED"
Crystal 4: Chemist - :stare: "Well I guess that solved that, then, didn't it?"

Not the most optimal of teams I suppose but, really, how can you go wrong with two sing bots and two mix bots buffing up someone to be the avatar of death.

It'll probably be the geomancer. I've had that drat class so many times. It will be cathartic to 9999 wind slash NED to death.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 25, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Supremezero posted:

That.

Or you can download the mod in the first post and start using Ninja immediately.

Which probably breaks early difficulty in half.

Yeah, but some setups are also more tedious and luck-reliant than difficult. Everyone that got only Berserkers and/or Earth Crystal classes can attest to that. I'd honestly rather cheat my dirty little brains out than do another round of Berserkers-only Sandworm, and I got off light; only 20 deaths at level 40, and one guy had like 90 deaths at the same level.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Bufuman posted:

My team can hit the Rift at this point, but I've only got one person with Equip Ribbons learned, which I want for everybody since it's pretty much the only decent passive for my two Zerkers and my Samurai (the Dancer will keep Shirahadori instead, except for the final battle where she'll be tossing gil with the samurai when she's not item-botting or Chicken Dancing). Should I just hit the Rift anyway, or make a quick stop over to Phoenix Tower and visit the Magic Pots?

Unless you have a massive surplus of Elixers, it's generally not worth trading ~3 elixers for 100 ABP, especially when there's an enemy in the final section of the rift (before Necrophobia/Exdeath) that gives 200 ABP per fight.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Microcline posted:

Unless you have a massive surplus of Elixers, it's generally not worth trading ~3 elixers for 100 ABP, especially when there's an enemy in the final section of the rift (before Necrophobia/Exdeath) that gives 200 ABP per fight.

True, but I'd also have to wait until that point, which means 2 characters are going to take every status that isn't blocked by Berserk or Hermes Sandals.

But I suppose I can deal. ONWARD!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Microcline posted:

An extremely rare enemy (aside from quicksave shenanigans) who are rather difficult to kill if you don't have the right classes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Maleketh posted:

Well, releasing a Traveler against Atomos failed completely; even after dozens of tries it simply sould not put the fucker to sleep.

And it never will. Atomos is immune to Old, which means he ignores Time Slip completely. It pissed me off last year when I had Blue Mage and the guide I was using specifically said "Use Time Slip!" I even posted here and Kyrosis was the one who told me Time Slip can't hit Atomos due to the immunity.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Alright, Beastmaster is pretty baller.

:byewhore:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Is there any good way to see how much MP an enemy has remaining? I'm currently holding out against Omniscient with two characters equipped with Reflect Rings, and even sped-up the fight is still going for a seemingly endless amount of time. I'd have used magic if I could, but my current lineup is Geomancer/Ranger/Dragoon/Dancer. (So far as I know, even !Gaia isn't "magic" by the game's standards.) I'm using VBA-M, should that matter for variable lookups.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Generic FFV question, but what, if anything, do I need to do in World 1 that I can't eventually go back for? Just killed the Soul Cannon and I know World 2 is coming up.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Twelve by Pies posted:

And it never will. Atomos is immune to Old, which means he ignores Time Slip completely. It pissed me off last year when I had Blue Mage and the guide I was using specifically said "Use Time Slip!" I even posted here and Kyrosis was the one who told me Time Slip can't hit Atomos due to the immunity.

...gently caress.

Gilg posted:

Generic FFV question, but what, if anything, do I need to do in World 1 that I can't eventually go back for? Just killed the Soul Cannon and I know World 2 is coming up.

Depending on your setup, you may want to buy a bunch of rods. You can't buy them in world 2 and there are a few places you might find them useful. Of course, if none of your classes can break them, it's moot.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

gbuchold posted:

Alright, Beastmaster is pretty baller.

:byewhore:

You can do the same thing to Twin Tania in the Rift.

It is as funny as it sounds.

NGDBSS posted:

Is there any good way to see how much MP an enemy has remaining? I'm currently holding out against Omniscient with two characters equipped with Reflect Rings, and even sped-up the fight is still going for a seemingly endless amount of time. I'd have used magic if I could, but my current lineup is Geomancer/Ranger/Dragoon/Dancer. (So far as I know, even !Gaia isn't "magic" by the game's standards.) I'm using VBA-M, should that matter for variable lookups.

Tools -> Memory Viewer -> set it to 16-bit, watch 0201F058, check the automatic update tickybox.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

e: loving hell, quote is not edit

Qwarq
Apr 3, 2009

First run of the year is done :buddy:

I managed to finish around level 33 despite dual zerks and a geo because Mystic Knight carried me so drat hard. Almagest? What's that? :v:

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Supremezero posted:

An extremely rare enemy (aside from quicksave shenanigans) who are rather difficult to kill if you don't have the right classes.

gently caress. 6% encounter rate with three 10000 health monsters with circle and delta attack. It probably is a better idea to use magic pots, especially given that multiple enemies in the rift drop elixers.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Microcline posted:

gently caress. 6% encounter rate with three 10000 health monsters with circle and delta attack. It probably is a better idea to use magic pots, especially given that multiple enemies in the rift drop elixers.

Well, I've got Zeninage, so I can probably wipe 'em pretty easi... 50 defense? poo poo.

To Phoenix Tower then.

EDIT: Unless... Are they vulnerable to Iainuki? I got that with someone, that could work.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 25, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

Well, I've got Zeninage, so I can probably wipe 'em pretty easi... 50 defense? poo poo.

To Phoenix Tower then.

EDIT: Unless... Are they vulnerable to Iainuki? I got that with someone, that could work.

Sadly no, they are heavy.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Tools -> Memory Viewer -> set it to 16-bit, watch 0201F058, check the automatic update tickybox.
Thanks! I was worried that something was weird, but no...he just takes so long to run his MP down. (As of this post he's at ~2500 out of 30000. :suicide:)

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

NGDBSS posted:

It takes 6 hours realtime. Your emulator's speedup probably hits 4x-6x speed.

Tape down the button and read a book.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

NGDBSS posted:

Thanks! I was worried that something was weird, but no...he just takes so long to run his MP down. (As of this post he's at ~2500 out of 30000. :suicide:)

As a tip for next time, if he silences/stops himself, sneak an Ether down his throat while he's incapacitated. As long as he's above 9999 MP, this will force his MP down to 9999, as all bosses that have in excess of 9999 MP are coded with a "max" MP of 9999 and just start higher. :eng101:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Do you have to do anything special to complete your run after your victory tweet or can you just reg for your next run?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

As a tip for next time, if he silences/stops himself, sneak an Ether down his throat while he's incapacitated. As long as he's above 9999 MP, this will force his MP down to 9999, as all bosses that have in excess of 9999 MP are coded with a "max" MP of 9999 and just start higher. :eng101:
I'd heard about that, but when I tried doing other things at that point the window had evidently already passed. Slow on the draw, perhaps.

A_Raving_Loon posted:

It takes 6 hours realtime. Your emulator's speedup probably hits 4x-6x speed.

Tape down the button and read a book.
I'd toggled the turbo mode on it and set it to run even while inactive, so it was mostly just a background annoyance for an hour or so. (In-game time was about seven hours.)

Edit: Questions asked: 1

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 25, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

CapitalistPig posted:

Do you have to do anything special to complete your run after your victory tweet or can you just reg for your next run?

Need to wait until that run has a gold star in place. Otherwise, nope, just register like normal.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Kyrosiris posted:

Need to wait until that run has a gold star in place. Otherwise, nope, just register like normal.

Ok thanks.

Started my second run, trying 750 this time, first job white mage.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

I did that and it's still taking ages for his MP to run down, but then again 9999 MP is still a lot, especially when he mostly casts piddly 4-9 MP spells. :v:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Mega64, add another one to the pile. My doublezerker pennance is done. Now I can do a plain ol' Chaos mode and see what Gilgabot sends me for a second run.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
Dusted off my old GBA and FF5A cart and will be giving this a go! Pulled Thief for my first class.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

86 attempts later....

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
Really easy finish.

Can I immediately re-register or do I have to wait a bit?

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Sorry if this question is redundant, but, the classes the bot has given me so far are: Ranger, Samurai, and Samurai after Fire crystal. So this means I pretty much have to play Freelancer until I get to the point where these are unlocked?

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Monk, Red Mage, Geomancer, and Dancer. In the end, my chaos run is just a regular "100% mediocre" run.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

FARTS. Comes in with a victory with much whining in the IRC and duel zerks. :black101:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Stupid Return, only casting 1 MP to cast. Omniscient was whittled down to 1 MP and I thought I was safe, then attacked him, only to get Returned. Thank god for save states, I had to Mage Masher him and feed him another Ether until he cast the right spells to get down to exactly 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Koobes posted:

Sorry if this question is redundant, but, the classes the bot has given me so far are: Ranger, Samurai, and Samurai after Fire crystal. So this means I pretty much have to play Freelancer until I get to the point where these are unlocked?

You play as freelancer until you unlock ranger, then everyone turns into rangers until you get samurai.

supergayboy posted:

Really easy finish.

Can I immediately re-register or do I have to wait a bit?

You need to wait for your victory to be registered; a little star will show up by your run on the list of players.

• Locked thread