Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

A cousin-in-law of mine just got involved in BeachBody, a fitness/supplement MLM. I could tell just from her Facebook post about it that it was fishy, and 5 seconds of googling later, my suspicions were confirmed.

The problem is, this cousin-in-law dislikes most of my family (other than her husband, obviously), and I don't want to remove myself from the short list of familial contacts that my cousin still keeps. So I probably won't say anything. Bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Beachbody is great for the exercise programs if you want something that's organized and you're intelligent enough to not do something that's going to hurt you while you're working out.

Beachbody is terrible for "coaches" and supplements. The Insanity guy even says "hey, if you don't have the shakeology recovery drink, just drink some chocolate milk, it's pretty much the same nutrition-wise."

We had tons of fat-bodies get in shape using Insanity and P90X in the army. But if they started buying branded supplements then hooooooly poo poo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I just watched a guy get his credit card declined on a bunch of bananas. He just walked away. This is right next to the amazon main campus.

He definitely was a blue badge as well.

edit: I've been told I'm a judgmental dick for not immediately paying for his bananas.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 24, 2015

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Tigntink posted:

I just watched a guy get his credit card declined on a bunch of bananas. He just walked away. This is right next to the amazon main campus.

He definitely was a blue badge as well.

I feel like 'blue badge' is important to the story, what is that?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BossRighteous posted:

I feel like 'blue badge' is important to the story, what is that?

Sorry, it means he is directly employed by amazon. Not a contractor or temp. Which means the guy is pulling at minimum 75,000 a year.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Tigntink posted:

Sorry, it means he is directly employed by amazon. Not a contractor or temp. Which means the guy is pulling at minimum 75,000 a year.

In Seattle? Isn't that basically nothing?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

No Butt Stuff posted:

In Seattle? Isn't that basically nothing?

Na. If you want to live like slomo sure but I have worked for a government agency and a non profit making less than 55,000 and its not like I could buy a house on that money by myself but you can certainly live in a nice apartment with roommates or if you shop around in a 1 bedroom comfortably. As long as you are willing to bus it to downtown or bike from the north or the south side, its reasonable.

It's obviously far easier to live here on dual income though.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Seattle has a decently high cost of living, but it's completely possible to thrive on $75k a year there. We're not talking San Fran or NYC here. I mean, hell, I made less than that in Washington DC, which I'm pretty sure has a higher cost of living, and still managed to max out my 401k.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Not a Children posted:

A cousin-in-law of mine just got involved in BeachBody, a fitness/supplement MLM. I could tell just from her Facebook post about it that it was fishy, and 5 seconds of googling later, my suspicions were confirmed.

The problem is, this cousin-in-law dislikes most of my family (other than her husband, obviously), and I don't want to remove myself from the short list of familial contacts that my cousin still keeps. So I probably won't say anything. Bleh.

I know someone who's way into the beach body/shakeology crap to the point where she's on the verge of quitting her actual job for it.

In theory it seems like a decent program, but why do you need to pay a coach to do exercise DVDs at home?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Not a Children posted:

Seattle has a decently high cost of living, but it's completely possible to thrive on $75k a year there. We're not talking San Fran or NYC here. I mean, hell, I made less than that in Washington DC, which I'm pretty sure has a higher cost of living, and still managed to max out my 401k.

Yeah, I get by very comfortably in Seattle on $70k, and have done so on less, though with negligible savings at the time.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I know someone who's way into the beach body/shakeology crap to the point where she's on the verge of quitting her actual job for it.

In theory it seems like a decent program, but why do you need to pay a coach to do exercise DVDs at home?

Because people love a quick fix. A lifetime of exercise and eating properly isn't easy to sell, but a 30-day cleanse/detox/muscle-confusion blah blah blah will always hook lazy morons with expendable income.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Not a Children posted:

One thing that fascinates me about the Financial Matrix is that they seem to have somewhat google-proofed their scam. If you type in "Financial Matrix scam," the first page of results will only be documents that they generated--

"Q: Is the Financial Matrix a scam?
A: No! ..."

"Let the Financial Matrix make you rich! Don't fall for the mainstream banking scam!..."

These aren't word-for-word quotes because I can't be bothered to google them again, but I thought it was a very interesting, if totally unscrupulous, use of SEO.

Sorry for posting so much about this--my friend got to the part where the book suggested that all readers watch The Matrix and couldn't go any further, so I guess I don't have to worry about someone conning him into a MLM. :)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Almost all MLM scams have done that sort of search engine fuckery. You sometimes have to go a few pages in before you get any real (not bullshit) hits.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
My sister in law joined this recently: http://www.lularoe.com/join-the-movement-page/

But I can't tell if it's a scam, or just a really lovely business model for the sellers since they take on much of the company's risk (sellers buy products "wholesale" from the company to sell to end customers). I'd say it's like Mary Kay or Tupperware maybe? Dunno. I'd be curious to see if the company has higher profit margins than the sellers.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is there any company like that that seems like a scam, and isn't?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I've seen so many more Herbalife and Advocare car decals around my place lately, although they didn't make me laugh as much as the "run your car on water" guy. Thankfully, one of my high school friends on Facebook finally stopped pushing Mary Kay and another stopped promoting his wife's essential oils (thank god we take these so we're not sick as often)... It's been a breath of fresh air.

Full disclosure: at some point in college I signed up for an entry level starter pack for Quixtar, not understanding what it was. Immediately chalked it up to youthful negligence and valuable lesson learned for only about $150 or so. Still a little mad at myself about that.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
The local newspaper here just had an interesting advice column. Some guy wrote in complaining about his girlfriend routinely asking him for help paying for things like groceries and car repairs after spending all her money on fancy pants beauty services (hair extensions and the like).

The columnist talked about how many women, in response to falling on hard times, will have their primal "find a mate" urges go into overdrive - in this case, ironically straining her relationship with the mate she already has.

triplexpac posted:

Is there any company like that that seems like a scam, and isn't?

Is "door to door sales by people with little to no training" even a viable marketing strategy for an honest business in this day and age?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

One of my coworkers has bought into Amway 100%. I tried to warn him off, but he wouldn't listen, so now I'm just sitting back and watching.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

The columnist talked about how many women, in response to falling on hard times, will have their primal "find a mate" urges go into overdrive - in this case, ironically straining her relationship with the mate she already has.

All too common. I remember one of my friends she loved buying a fancy $300 dress. I pointed out that maybe paying off the $500 overdraft that was always maxed out might be a better idea.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Taking an undergrad course in markets in night school. We had an example comparing two securities costing $10,000, one with 5% expected return and a 1% chance of default and one with 7% expected return and a 25% chance of default.

70% of the class polled said they personally would buy the high-risk, high-return one :stare:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Saeku posted:

Taking an undergrad course in markets in night school. We had an example comparing two securities costing $10,000, one with 5% expected return and a 1% chance of default and one with 7% expected return and a 25% chance of default.

70% of the class polled said they personally would buy the high-risk, high-return one :stare:

70% of the class are bad with money. Literally the difference between a BBB+ and a CC credit rating.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Saeku posted:

Behavioral finance is really interesting. Look into Prospect Theory if this stuff interests you. People aren't rational investors most of the time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Maybe 70% of the class needed to pay a loan shark $11,000 or they'd be killed and they only had 10,000? You don't know their utility functions. :colbert:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Saeku posted:

If you're talking about just an absolute risk and return yeah that's dumb, but if you were talking about annual returns then after a long enough term the 7% return starts running away and becomes the higher EV investment even with a 25% lifetime chance of default.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
My company hired a receptionist once who sold Herbalife products to some of my other coworkers and then quit without notice one day after someone disabled our phones and attempted to process a 10 million dollar wire with a stamped signature from the CFO. They could never prove it was her though.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

If you're talking about just an absolute risk and return yeah that's dumb, but if you were talking about annual returns then after a long enough term the 7% return starts running away and becomes the higher EV investment even with a 25% lifetime chance of default.

If I've done the maths right the 25% failure one becomes a better idea after around 15 years, assuming annually compounding interest, and the failure rates being over the whole lifetime.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It's a fixed-term security, and that's the risk of default over one year, which is incorporated in the expected return.

The other students might have just interpreted the question ("Which would you personally buy?") more abstractly than me, because the 2nd investment is better if losing $10,000 is nbd for you. Which is probably not a financial situation most undergrads are in.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Cockmaster posted:

The local newspaper here just had an interesting advice column. Some guy wrote in complaining about his girlfriend routinely asking him for help paying for things like groceries and car repairs after spending all her money on fancy pants beauty services (hair extensions and the like).

Is "door to door sales by people with little to no training" even a viable marketing strategy for an honest business in this day and age?

I've had a few friends who don't realise how much it costs to maintain a particular look. Individually the items may be inexpensive, but over time they really add up, especially if you are expected to do it every day or as a part of your job. It is an almost impossible battle to win - either you're wasting too much time and money on makeup and clothes, or you have "let yourself go". Not to mention female cosmetic products can be ruinously expensive, especially if you have sensitive skin or allergies.

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread on reddit where the OP was told she spent too much money on cosmetic products, and that she would have to stop. She stopped and he started making comments about her appearance after her makeup ran out. While I have no idea how they went after that, it soon came to light that instead of saving the money she no longer spent on makeup, instead he used it all at the Steam sale.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread on reddit where the OP was told she spent too much money on cosmetic products, and that she would have to stop. She stopped and he started making comments about her appearance after her makeup ran out. While I have no idea how they went after that, it soon came to light that instead of saving the money she no longer spent on makeup, instead he used it all at the Steam sale.

"Hey baby you look like poo poo today. By the way I spent all your savings from not buying cosmetics on games."

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

SpelledBackwards posted:

I've seen so many more Herbalife and Advocare car decals around my place lately, although they didn't make me laugh as much as the "run your car on water" guy. Thankfully, one of my high school friends on Facebook finally stopped pushing Mary Kay and another stopped promoting his wife's essential oils (thank god we take these so we're not sick as often)... It's been a breath of fresh air.

Full disclosure: at some point in college I signed up for an entry level starter pack for Quixtar, not understanding what it was. Immediately chalked it up to youthful negligence and valuable lesson learned for only about $150 or so. Still a little mad at myself about that.

If you guys haven't read about the Bill Ackman / Herbalife debacle, I strongly recommend a read. tl;dr is basically hedge agrees what Herbalife is a scam and bets big (to the tune of half a billion dollars) that it will eventually collapse. There has been an epic back and forth over the past couple years between these two.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Saeku posted:

It's a fixed-term security, and that's the risk of default over one year, which is incorporated in the expected return.

The other students might have just interpreted the question ("Which would you personally buy?") more abstractly than me, because the 2nd investment is better if losing $10,000 is nbd for you. Which is probably not a financial situation most undergrads are in.

If you were offered this as an investment yearly that you could re-up with a 25% chance each year of default (basically a weighted coin flip), the second option is brutally horrible.

You should probably be willing to put no more than 79% of your assets in the 5/1 investment, versus -280% of your assets in the 7/25.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The thing with the 10k is that it's too chunky for most people. Even if buying hundreds of the 7/25 will be much better than the 5/1, people with only 10k can't absorb a loss. If the 7% is risk adjusted the real rate of return on a successful run is 42.6%, which is better if you can absorb the losses, but the 5/1 ends up being safer if you're repeatedly doing this. With the 5/1 (6% real) you have an ~84% chance of reaching 20k, doubling, in 16 years, and only a 1% of returning 0. The 7/25 has a 42% chance of reaching 20k+ but in only three years.

If these were independent $1 securities and you were forced to buy them in 10k lots then it would be a no-brainer even with only 10k to start.

This all goes out the window if they're not independent, which is why it's only useful as a thought experiment.

e: To be clear: I agree that, in reality, the 5/1 is the infinitely better investment.

e2: VVVVV

Yes I know, I was almost going to mention the subprime mortgage shenanigans. The "problem" (well, besides the outright dishonesty and bad practices) with those is that they weren't truly independent. If the economy turns bad then many people are likely to default at once. Even assuming the 25% failure rate is somehow honest and correct, you can have three years of 0 failures followed by 100% failures in the 4th year and still average out to 25%. If they're independent events this would be astronomically unlikely, but nothing is truly independent since the economy as a whole is a pretty big unifier.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 25, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Desuwa posted:

If these were independent $1 securities and you were forced to buy them in 10k lots then it would be a no-brainer even with only 10k to start.

This all goes out the window if they're not independent, which is why it's only useful as a thought experiment.

This could apply to the real world if you securitised them and then paid for favourable credit ratings. Then, of course, you sell them on after repackaging the financial instruments so you take zero risk.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

well at least we'll know its a scam if they recommend matrix 2

Now I want to hear The Architect ramble on about horse equity.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Now I want to hear The Architect ramble on about horse equity.

"...rest assured, this is the sixth horse that we've put down because of a broken leg, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it."

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Is it safe to assume that the apocalypse as foretold in the Book of Revelations will never happen then because the costs of maintaining those horses is too much for the four horsemen? And even if it wasn't, one of the horses would probably get spooked so Pestilence wouldn't ever happen anyway?

VVV EDIT: So it is! Now I can't wait to spend all that extra cash I can save by not printing that extra
"s" on all those pieces of paper I give away on the street corner.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 25, 2015

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Antifreeze Head posted:

Is it safe to assume that the apocalypse as foretold in the Book of Revelations will never happen then because the costs of maintaining those horses is too much for the four horsemen? And even if it wasn't, one of the horses would probably get spooked so Pestilence wouldn't ever happen anyway?

Book of Revelation (no 's' at the end) :eng101:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Desuwa posted:

Yes I know, I was almost going to mention the subprime mortgage shenanigans. The "problem" (well, besides the outright dishonesty and bad practices) with those is that they weren't truly independent. If the economy turns bad then many people are likely to default at once. Even assuming the 25% failure rate is somehow honest and correct, you can have three years of 0 failures followed by 100% failures in the 4th year and still average out to 25%. If they're independent events this would be astronomically unlikely, but nothing is truly independent since the economy as a whole is a pretty big unifier.

Reminds me of what happened when Prudential decided to make a foray into real estate insurance a couple of decades ago. Some clever suit realized that the badly fragmented home insurance market was ripe for a big player to swoop in and corner the market, so Prudential used their considerable money and clout to quickly accumulate a leading market share in some regions.

Then Hurricane Andrew hit, and Prudential found out the reason why all the major players in property insurance maintained such a seemingly small presence. There's a key difference between property insurance and Prudential's core life insurance business--life insurance claims are single, independent events whereas homeowner claims are often widespread events. Because they held such a high concentration of homeowner policies for the areas that got hit they were slammed with claims and wound up having to cough up something like 10% of the company to bail out the property insurance unit.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

What math are you using where the 7% option makes any sense.

7% has an expected return of 8250. 5% is 10350. Am I missing something or are you all bwm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

What math are you using where the 7% option makes any sense.

7% has an expected return of 8250. 5% is 10350. Am I missing something or are you all bwm?

The 7% is after adjusting for risk. Real returns without a default would be 42.6% or so.

0.75*(1+x) + 0.25*0 = 1.07

• Locked thread