Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Yaos posted:

Warner Brothers purposely hosed up the PC port by giving it to the developer 2 months before it released. They didn't know Valve was going to introduce refunds until it was too late.

There is no proof that the devs got this game 2 months before release, that just so happens to be when the product for the devs was entered into steam, this was also the same time that the retail game was entered into the steamDB.

Though if you want real humor check out the official forums for some 'Expert Opinions'

"Actually the code is completely portable especially going from the Xbox to the PC as the Xbox is a PC running windows 8.1 with a modified user interface… The only time changing the code is a real issue is if it's a ps4 exclusive , but you were still dealing with the same basic CPU coding – you just have to make some alterations for changing operating systems from the PS four to the PC, but Xbox to PC is virtually no changes needed. I'm a programmer I know these things. I code video games for a living. I know exactly what it would take to port this game to the PC, and I can tell you with absolute certainty me they did not need a third party with 12 people to do it… It could've been ported over by two or three people from the Xbox to the PC quite easily.
Know if it's a PS four exclusive game, then you will need a team of 12 or so people because you have to change your code for a completely different operating system and API calls, But the PC, PS four, Xbox one all run on 64 bit and instructions (intel's nonbusiness 64-bit architecture is licensed from AMD only the Intel xenon line of chips are truly entails on 64-bit architecture). But in the end all tthose processors are still X 86 based

Let's put it another way, you have to recode the game to make it work on both the PS for an Xbox… Yet the game works flawlessly on both machines and looks better on both machines then the PC so therefore it is not an issue of changing API calls are coding… It is an issue of a very very lazy third-party group of 12 people who did a crappy job of porting this is the PC when it should've been an absolute snap that they should've done in their sleep in the game should've looked five times better on the PC"

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/ALL-SALES-OF-ARKHAM-KNIGHT-PC-HALTED/m-p/575431#U575431

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

cram me sideways posted:

Origins has aged well, and I know that sounds stupid for a game being less than two years old. I can remember being incredibly lukewarm on the game when it came out, and I was/still am a humongous Batman whore full of forgiveness. I don't know what's changed in the ~2 years since its release but after replaying it for the first time this year it really flowed better. I think maybe I let all the negative press at the time affect my perception of the game. I also appreciate how it's acknowledged in Arkham Knight and really makes then entire Arkham oeuvre feel like a unified whole. Maybe WB Montreal snuck in some patches that took the rough edges off the game and that's why I like it so much more now. I was ready to pretend it doesn't exist, but now I'm happy to have it in my Steam library.

Honestly they patched the poo poo out of it so it runs better. It's release was comedically bad.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Factory posted:

There is no proof that the devs got this game 2 months before release, that just so happens to be when the product for the devs was entered into steam, this was also the same time that the retail game was entered into the steamDB.

Though if you want real humor check out the official forums for some 'Expert Opinions'

"Actually the code is completely portable especially going from the Xbox to the PC as the Xbox is a PC running windows 8.1 with a modified user interface… The only time changing the code is a real issue is if it's a ps4 exclusive , but you were still dealing with the same basic CPU coding – you just have to make some alterations for changing operating systems from the PS four to the PC, but Xbox to PC is virtually no changes needed. I'm a programmer I know these things. I code video games for a living. I know exactly what it would take to port this game to the PC, and I can tell you with absolute certainty me they did not need a third party with 12 people to do it… It could've been ported over by two or three people from the Xbox to the PC quite easily.
Know if it's a PS four exclusive game, then you will need a team of 12 or so people because you have to change your code for a completely different operating system and API calls, But the PC, PS four, Xbox one all run on 64 bit and instructions (intel's nonbusiness 64-bit architecture is licensed from AMD only the Intel xenon line of chips are truly entails on 64-bit architecture). But in the end all tthose processors are still X 86 based

Let's put it another way, you have to recode the game to make it work on both the PS for an Xbox… Yet the game works flawlessly on both machines and looks better on both machines then the PC so therefore it is not an issue of changing API calls are coding… It is an issue of a very very lazy third-party group of 12 people who did a crappy job of porting this is the PC when it should've been an absolute snap that they should've done in their sleep in the game should've looked five times better on the PC"

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/ALL-SALES-OF-ARKHAM-KNIGHT-PC-HALTED/m-p/575431#U575431

I bet this guy's dad works for nintendo.

edit: seriously do you know how much loving divergence there is between HLSL between directx versions? Just copy it over and it will work? What a loving retard.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I like when PC versions of games are developed alongside the console versions. Does this even still happen anymore?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I am 85% through the main story line and I have a question for those above me: I have confronted Jason Todd on top of his gargoyle, and I have 30 seconds to escape his gas trap. I've done this about 20 times and still don't know what to do. Please guide me.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I miss the boss battles. I thought they were good and they took them out because you plebs complained about them. now you're going to complain endlessly about the batmobile and it will never be in another video game ever. goons can't have nice things

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ethanol posted:

I miss the boss battles. I thought they were good and they took them out because you plebs complained about them. now you're going to complain endlessly about the batmobile and it will never be in another video game ever. goons can't have nice things

At least we'll always have your posting :shobon:

E: I agree with you, I always liked the boss bottles

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ethanol posted:

The boss battles always sucked, but I miss the idea of them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I would give Warner Brothers many dollars for BAM BIFF POW dlc and an Adam West voice pack.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Did you yell "I'm Batman" at any point during this?

Nope, because that moment made it quite clear to me that I am definitely NOT Batman, and clearly the videogame dude is just straight up gonna go off and fight criminals on his own if I'm not quick enough to register stuff going on in the periphery and react accordinly :ohdear:

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Factory posted:

I'm a programmer I know these things. I code video games for a living. I know exactly what it would take to port this game to the PC, and I can tell you with absolute certainty me they did not need a third party with 12 people to do it… It could've been ported over by two or three people from the Xbox to the PC quite easily.
Oh man, this could be the new "I don't know how much you know about Japanese culture (I am an expert)"

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

cram me sideways posted:

Or publishers might be convinced to start their own digital distribution platform, ala EA Origin or Ubisoft Uplay.

Honestly I am kinda amazed that either are still around, granted Uplay stuff is still sold through Steam. I wouldn't be surprised in the next 18 months Origin is going to go the way of the dodo though. It isn't cheap to run a Digital Distribution Platform and I can not imagine EA has made dollar one off of it. I think they thought that the combo of Battlefield, Mass Effect and TOR would have been big enough titles all around the same time to get a good foothold in the market but ultimately failed. I give them some credit for sticking with it and trying things I wouldn't have done (Humble Bundles, free games) but at a certain point you know shareholders are going to hold them responsible for it. Giving Valve a percentage of the sale to not have to deal with the headaches and massive costs is well worth it.

Why Uplay exists I do not know, but then again nothing with Ubisoft makes any sense.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I like when PC versions of games are developed alongside the console versions. Does this even still happen anymore?

The new X-Com game is PC only. Eat it.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Cutedge posted:

I bet this guy's dad works for nintendo.

edit: seriously do you know how much loving divergence there is between HLSL between directx versions? Just copy it over and it will work? What a loving retard.

I know there are a lot of stupid people on the internet, but there is a point there in that the Xbox One really is quite similar to a PC running DX11. If the porting house got the finished X1 version porting it to PC isn't a massive undertaking. Now, who knows what state it was in when they started the port...

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Feeling good so far. Just one more Militia road block on Miagani Island (that I can't find to save my life) and the Riddler round up before I initiate the Knightfall Protocol. I'm pretty excited. I'll give my full thoughts once I have 100%. 90+ right now.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

More dead horse beating. Eurogamer put up a new article expanding on their experience of the PC version. Mostly repeating what most of us know already but still a decent read and comparison shots and videos as usual.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-batman-arkham-knight-pc-lacks-console-visual-features

The side by side comparison pics is pretty insane to me

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yaos posted:

The new X-Com game is PC only. Eat it.

It'll come out on consoles eventually. Probably with a good port too.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

ethanol posted:

boss battles owned. the batmobile is retarded though so I'll be happy if it goes away forever.

If the batmobile only showed up twice in the entire game it would be brilliant. They just forced it too much.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Couple questions. I'm hearing all the Riddler stuff can't be solved in one go and you have to do a New Game Plus. Is that true? Also What exactly will the Knightfall Protocol do? Can I continue Riddler hunting afterwards?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I think the riddler tower outside the orphanage is bugged. I solved the puzzle and pull the drawer with the ball in it out but I cant do anything from there, like its stuck or something.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

HORMELCHILI posted:

I think the riddler tower outside the orphanage is bugged. I solved the puzzle and pull the drawer with the ball in it out but I cant do anything from there, like its stuck or something.

It's definitely bugged. I shut the game off, came back, and did it again and it worked then. I thought it was just me encountering a fluke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ethanol posted:

The game has boss battles though. I mean You fight the Riddler in his giant riddler-bot, health bar and everything.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is the second Riddler cave bugging out for me? I'm where I need to use the power winch and I get the prompt and it fires and I see my rev meter for HALF a sec and then Batman says "I can't do that while I'm standing here" and nothing happens.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Checking back; pages and pages of how PC Gamers (master race) can't get their video cards or drivers or whatever in order and not enough gameplay discussion or tips and tricks that one would expect in a megathread.

The Batmobile (well, the Tumbler. I wouldn't call that thing the Batmobile, really) controls Just Fine* with an Xbox One controller, by the way. It's obviously not designed for keyboards.

*Just Fine is a relative term, however. Rocksteady not allowing controller remapping is a... poor choice. LB and D-Pad Down need to be switched, to start, and whole I get that holding the left trigger enables Battle Mode it flies in the face of every other game with a driving element ever. That I can think of.

There is an option that changes Battlemode to a toggle on R1 or RB on the bad console. Left trigger becomes the brakes. You're welcome.

ethanol posted:

There are multiple boss battles in game. Most of them are Batmobile based.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Someone said we were getting the season pass for free but I didn't see anything about it in that read other than one random poster saying we should get a free season pass since the dlc will be delayed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Simon Stagg needs to tell his next team of biochemists to use less obvious passwords.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ImpAtom posted:

The game has boss battles though. I mean You fight the Riddler in his giant riddler-bot, health bar and everything.

I have to give the final Two-Face 'boss battle' in the final bank credit, I was able to silent-takedown him when his AI hosed up and he went up the escalator. I'd already taken the medics down, so there's nothing his thugs could do.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Aquasnake posted:

Someone said we were getting the season pass for free but I didn't see anything about it in that read other than one random poster saying we should get a free season pass since the dlc will be delayed.

At this point they're talking out their asses, but there's precedent since Ubisoft did it when the last Assassin's Creed was utter poo poo on PC. Season Pass + two games, one a bit old, the other relatively new.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

I would give Warner Brothers many dollars for BAM BIFF POW dlc and an Adam West voice pack.

Only if there's a building filled with celebrities that you manually scale with a rope instead of the grapnel

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I have to give the final Two-Face 'boss battle' in the final bank credit, I was able to silent-takedown him when his AI hosed up and he went up the escalator. I'd already taken the medics down, so there's nothing his thugs could do.

I have no idea what the gimmick in that fight was because I took him and his last four guards down with one Fear takedown.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Am I the only one who really likes the Batmobile?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

keyframe posted:

It has grown on me and controlling/maneuvering it isn't a chore anymore. I like it as an alternate form of getting around and for some puzzle solving.

However, the vehicle combat sections that pop up mid-mission or when you're doing mine disarmament get kind of tiresome by the 9-10th time you do it. There's little difficulty in it and just turns into a shooting gallery that wastes time.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

keyframe posted:

I find it enjoyable, but I do think it is overutilized.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
So I "installed" from 5 DVDs and still have to download 30GB? What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

keyframe posted:

No. I like it. I've already 3 starred all the challenges for it and I'm 30 percent through the story.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

keyframe posted:

I like it. I don't like that you're forced into it so much for the main story though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

keyframe posted:

Nah, I quite like it too. tank mode combat is like playing an arcade game and I'm totally ok with that. It goes through/destroys everything, and looks amazing as it does it. It drives on walls. I can burnout takedown sideswipe a car and make it go 'boom'. I can fire missiles at cars and make them go 'boom'. It has a jet engine that I can press a button and make it go 'booom'. Did I expect all this before I heard about it in the reviews? no, so I can see how it bothers some people who didn't realize it would take up so much of the game

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I have no idea what the gimmick in that fight was because I took him and his last four guards down with one Fear takedown.

"Oh no, there are two Detective Mode scramblers and a guy with a DTM tracer!"

That was pretty much the gimmick, since the interior of that bank was so stupidly massive that once the money tick-down stopped, you could wait forever for the AI to gently caress up.

I'm playing on Normal and even I think the Detective Mode tracer's fill bar needs to not exist, or past a certain point, every organized thug should have one, and they should network together to be more effective.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
This refund thing would be fab if I hadn't purchased my cd key from not Steam. Anyone had any success with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Crappers posted:

This refund thing would be fab if I hadn't purchased my cd key from not Steam. Anyone had any success with this?

Someone said GMG was going to offer refunds, but their own forums seem to say that once they send you the CD-Key you're poo poo out of luck. And since that system's completely automated and near-instantaneous...I wouldn't hold out hope.

• Locked thread