Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Gyshall posted:

Just being in this industry over the past 13 years was enough for me to know that the NSA poo poo was happening. Some of their methods are interesting, but I have at least forty clients that do some sort of monitoring/inspection of employee traffic/computer use, and it isn't too hard to do. Hell, schools have been doing this for a very long time.
this is ancient history at this point but irc.secsup.uu.net was actually put in by a government agency. Well, it was racked by me but it was at their direction and it was their server. You can bet that every single piece of data going through that server ended up in a searchable database, and they were doing it as far back as 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Sickening posted:

How terrible of a person would I be if I created a word document containing the goatman for all these Indian recruiters that send me jobs in random states besides the one I am in.

As the token thread recruiter, I wholly endorse this venture.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

In other news I've achieved peak IT.

My job description was incredible basic work but for whatever reason I'm migrating Lotus Notes servers. Our 2003 dell laptop without a battery wasn't cutting it anymore. I still don't know how the networking works here, nor do I know how our barracuda spam filter works (it seriously might not be doing anything), nor do I know how the firewall works. Nobody can tell me either because nobody knows.

I'm the only IT guy in the building until Friday.

IBM won't call me back :argh:

Methanar fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 24, 2015

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Sickening posted:

How terrible of a person would I be if I created a word document containing the goatman for all these Indian recruiters that send me jobs in random states besides the one I am in.

The best kind of terrible. :-D

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Methanar posted:

In other news I've achieved peak IT.

Lotus Domino/Notes oh my god I am so sorry.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Looking for a recommendation on a simple free remote process monitor for windows. I basically want to be alerted if a particular process on 4 remote machines is either killed or stops using CPU time.

You can do this with like, 6-30 lines of powershell depending on how generous you are with spacing/formatting and how much info you actually want.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sickening posted:

I got an awesome job in a random state from an Indian recruiter, though ymmv. Don't rule out relocating for the right opportunity/money.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Pasting ACLs into a config file uses the same syntax as overwriting one. I always hesitate to do the copy.

It doesn't help that it takes ages and the whole time you're wondering if you just kicked yourself off. Yes I know your session stays but I still get all paranoid.

gently caress ACLs.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
The entire time I've worked at my current job, there's been a bookshelf full of old technology books, completely untouched by anybody working at the company.

Today, I got very reluctant approval to throw out some of the oldest books in the shelf.

However, I was told to hang onto a Javascript book from 1996 and any books on Foxpro.

Maybe this is the first step towards permission to get rid of those Pentium 3 servers sitting in the back :unsmith:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I got an awesome job in a random state from an Indian recruiter, though ymmv. Don't rule out relocating for the right opportunity/money.

Yeah, gently caress that. I don't live in the bfe and the amount of money that it would take to uproot the wife and child to another state would have to be silly. I would have a better chance at long lost relative willing me millions at this point than a random Indian recruiter making my wildest dreams come true. The goat man sounds a lot better. :smugdog:

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

My TS clearance came through today. It took over a year to adjudicate. Just a heads up for anybody that is in the pipe right now.

I submitted my eQIP on 6/10/14. Had a meeting with an investigator last August.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Grats on your info being in China!

I'm surprised it took a year, I thought bringing in contractors was shortening the adjudication time?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Reiz posted:

You can do this with like, 6-30 lines of powershell depending on how generous you are with spacing/formatting and how much info you actually want.

Hmm interesting. A lot of places to go wrong too.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mammalian posted:

Came in today to find my chair completely missing. Checked the whole office, not a trace.

Professional :)

Have you checked above the ceiling tiles? I've seen an entire office's chairs hidden up in the ceiling as a prank.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Grats on your info being in China!

I'm surprised it took a year, I thought bringing in contractors was shortening the adjudication time?

I'd rather it be in China than a blackhat hacker group selling my poo poo on some ToR forum. As it is, I don't have to worry that much about the Chinese gov't exploiting my financial information. They've had it for at least a year as it is. I think the timelines they're publicly discussing are inaccurate at best.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Interesting apologist statement.

1) i think it's naive to assume that the Chinese government are the only people with your PII given the descriptions I have heard of the security of those systems
2) it's serious loving info if it includes secret and top secret investigation materials. These people are going to need more than lifelock to protect themselves.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The military handles PII so terribly that I've always assumed my identity has already been stolen.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
poo poo like that pisses me off that a government banking examiner has the balls to write me up for not having a documented windows update policy (despite being able to show the results of the properly configured wsus server, approvals, and update status) but then their employer can basically post everyone's poo poo in plain text on the internet.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

If you're referring to OPM, that wasn't the problem, and I can assure you two things:

1) proper documentation could have prevented it.

2) definitely a layer 8 issue.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
1) wrooong

2) mmmaybe?

There were a lot of factors, from opm getting it's funding from sister organizations who don't want to give a dime to overhead things like "security" to them having a single guy responsible for overall security (who left in May) to siloing and general red tape, there wasn't one cause you can point to.

J
Jun 10, 2001

adorai posted:

poo poo like that pisses me off that a government banking examiner has the balls to write me up for not having a documented windows update policy (despite being able to show the results of the properly configured wsus server, approvals, and update status) but then their employer can basically post everyone's poo poo in plain text on the internet.

What exactly are they expecting here? Here is my WSUS server, I approve updates on test groups, then approve them on production groups after X amount of test time. How much more policy has to be written?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

psydude posted:

The military handles PII so terribly that I've always assumed my identity has already been stolen.

One of the first things you do in Navy Boot Camp is assemble a stamp kit, you then stamp your social security number every article of clothing you own, with the exception of socks I think.

So, yeah, when they're having you put your SSN on your underwear, they're not really into keeping pii secure.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

One of the first things you do in Navy Boot Camp is assemble a stamp kit, you then stamp your social security number every article of clothing you own, with the exception of socks I think.

So, yeah, when they're having you put your SSN on your underwear, they're not really into keeping pii secure.

My ex literally defrauded me by opening a line of credit under my name when I was in the Navy, because when I was on leave I had my SSN all over my skivvies and everything.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

J posted:

What exactly are they expecting here? Here is my WSUS server, I approve updates on test groups, then approve them on production groups after X amount of test time. How much more policy has to be written?
Good question. The great thing about fdic banking examiners is they don't tell you what you want, only that they were unhappy with what you have.

edit: specifically, they were unhappy with the fact that our testing procedure was to approve the updates on a small subset of PCs and if there were no complaints, approve elsewhere. They wanted us to document that there were no complaints. They also did not like that PCs which were decommissioned more recently than the time they would drop off the report showed as missing (recent) updates.

adorai fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 25, 2015

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Zero VGS posted:

My ex literally defrauded me by opening a line of credit under my name when I was in the Navy, because when I was on leave I had my SSN all over my skivvies and everything.
Not just last four? When I was in the Air Force we did first initial last name, last 4 SSN. Called it our laundry mark. I was on laundry crew and had everyone's memorized, so I used to deliver everyone's clothes (rather than the typical mad rush to the day room), and they'd fold mine and shine my shoes. Gotta work with what you got, and I got memory.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Not just last four? When I was in the Air Force we did first initial last name, last 4 SSN. Called it our laundry mark. I was on laundry crew and had everyone's memorized, so I used to deliver everyone's clothes (rather than the typical mad rush to the day room), and they'd fold mine and shine my shoes. Gotta work with what you got, and I got memory.

Thank you for your service.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Wonder_Bread posted:

Lotus Domino/Notes oh my god I am so sorry.
Neither are that bad, it's just the bloaty Eclipse GUI's that they use that makes it so painful.

That said I still miss GroupWise. Cut my teeth on that suite :(

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Aunt Beth posted:

Neither are that bad, it's just the bloaty Eclipse GUI's that they use that makes it so painful.

Verse is coming soon to get rid of that crap. I am unfortunately not in the beta but from what I've heard it's great.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

When I was in the Air Force I used to deliver everyone's clothes

jaegerx posted:

Thank you for your service.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

Verse is coming soon to get rid of that crap. I am unfortunately not in the beta but from what I've heard it's great.
I've been using the beta. I guess I don't let my collaboration suite run my life enough though, because I have yet to derive much value from the analytical parts of it. Plus I prefer a native client over a web ui. It has a great amount of potential. I'm curious if they're going to figure out some way to jam traditional Notes databases into it. Moving my mail and calendar to a different utility is nice, but we have a zillion Notes databases that we use every day, so I'll still have to have the Notes client up alongside Verse for the foreseeable future.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

adorai posted:

Interesting apologist statement.

1) i think it's naive to assume that the Chinese government are the only people with your PII given the descriptions I have heard of the security of those systems
2) it's serious loving info if it includes secret and top secret investigation materials. These people are going to need more than lifelock to protect themselves.

I know that my information is likely also in the hands of other groups. Credit cards, etc. from other retailer breaches, my time spent at another DoD facility, etc. It's out there and I've taken the appropriate precautions to try and mitigate the damage. I'm being realistic about it, not apologizing for anyone. They're incompetent.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Aunt Beth posted:

We are right at a year after migration from GroupWise 8 to Office 365 and there are still some complaints about what GroupWise could do that Outlook/Exchange can't. It is one of my strongest triggers because I spent the first 6 months at this company dealing with one of the post offices or MTAs falling down practically daily. I've heard from the circles that GroupWise 2014 is pretty awesome though.

We spent MONTHS in contentious meetings arguing about crap because people were terrified of change. We had people who had literally never used anything but GroupWise because they hired in 15+ years ago and never had email before that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Come to think of it, you might be right and it might have been my dog tags lying out, I know for a fact those print the full SSN, because another sailor got Comcast under my name and the unpaid bill showed up on my credit report.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If were at the lower levels you may not have been exposed to it too much, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen operations/admin staff send spreadsheets with an entire company or battalion's SSNs, DoBs, and NoK over Gmail or download it to personal devices.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 6, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Welcome to IT!

What exactly are you working on?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Any good books or a course (maybe even something that leads to a certificate) about Oracle administration (on AIX or Linux )? I found some old notes about how some things are set up here and all the parts of Oracle is making my head explode

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Danith posted:

Oracle is making my head explode

Cert/course or not, this will never stop happening. gently caress Oracle.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I am trying to migrate our current email system from Lotus Notes 7 to a different physical box to Lotus Notes 8.5.

Right now the current system is pretty spread out. I have an old laptop being the console.

LN1 is the internal mail
LN2 is the external mail
A very old laptop is the console for LN1, LN2 does not seem to have a console at all.

I was going to move this all to a new physical box that has one VM. The new LN1 is in the VM. The new LN2 is on the host. Both servers will have the admin console.

This sheet that I made is all the information I have and can get about the networking.

The HP switch is where all the workstations and the rest of the servers are and where I'd be putting the new servers. Is there any reason it's setup the way it currently is? No idea.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Methanar posted:

I am trying to migrate our current email system from Lotus Notes 7 to a different physical box to Lotus Notes 8.5.

Right now the current system is pretty spread out. I have an old laptop being the console.

LN1 is the internal mail
LN2 is the external mail
A very old laptop is the console for LN1, LN2 does not seem to have a console at all.

I was going to move this all to a new physical box that has one VM. The new LN1 is in the VM. The new LN2 is on the host. Both servers will have the admin console.

This sheet that I made is all the information I have and can get about the networking.

The HP switch is where all the workstations and the rest of the servers are and where I'd be putting the new servers. Is there any reason it's setup the way it currently is? No idea.

You have the worst job.