Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Javid posted:

Friends of mine bought some unimproved property and are totally convinced they're gonna build an awesome off-grid commune. The pictures are starting to hit Facebook and it's looking promising.

"water tower"

You should at least tell them that those four 2x4s underneath the barrel should be vertically oriented rather than horizontally.. or maybe... ehhhhhhh gently caress it this isn't the "effort post about other people's junk" thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'm the garbage dump in the background.

Please keep us updated on their status and when they are forced to kill their first pig :ohdear:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Manslaughter posted:

I'm the garbage dump in the background.

Please keep us updated on their status and when they are forced to kill their first pig born :ohdear:

fixed that for you. Not everyone is Kastein or Apatite.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I was referring to this for anyone who doesn't get it

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Manslaughter posted:

I was referring to this for anyone who doesn't get it

thanks, I got it but didn't know where to find... never finished reading it before this should provide some entertainment

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Laminator posted:

Are those 1x4s "sistered" together for the posts?

Surprised it isn't built out of pallet wood...

The guy works at a mill so we're gonna be seeing a lot of free/cheap reject boards in this project.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Javid posted:

reject boards

Known for the amazing structural rigidity!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Laminator posted:

Surprised it isn't built out of pallet wood...

That depends on the pallet. I got one from a exercise equipment warehouse and it had 4"x3"x8' runners of solid oak.

But yeah, if it's a regular 4' square pallet with slats split from the nails, those are poo poo.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

kid sinister posted:

That depends on the pallet. I got one from a exercise equipment warehouse and it had 4"x3"x8' runners of solid oak.

But yeah, if it's a regular 4' square pallet with slats split from the nails, those are poo poo.
This, very much this.

I make most of my projects out of pallet wood. I use my position at work to cherry pick them. Euro pallets and the ones on which we get the A4 paper delivered are really nice thick Nordic pine. Made of 1x4 and 1x6 boards.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Don't use the blue pallets, they belong to someone

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Phone posing so no link, but I saw a report today that said the balcony was "for decorative purposes" and was pretty much explicitly never supposed to have more than one person ducking out for a quick smoke break on it.

For what it's worth, there was a similar balcony collapse in a college town nearby. 3 people were on it.

Management gave this statement to a TV station:

quote:

“It’s important to note that the balcony involved in this morning’s incident was a non-weight bearing structure,” said Christine Vogiatzis, general manager at The Grove. “It was a decorative piece that was originally installed to add to the building’s visual aesthetics.”
Vogiatzis declined to comment about whether this information was included in the lease or if residents are explicitly informed not to stand on the balconies.

A spokesman for the Grove’s North Carolina-based parent company Campus Crest wrote in an email that the Juliet balcony in question was “not designed to support the weight of three full grown adults.”

“It’s six inches deep and serves as a barrier so residents can open their door to get fresh air,” wrote spokesman Jason Chudoba. “The event that took place this morning was an unfortunate accident and we’re glad the individuals’ injuries are non-life-threatening.”

They had full size doors leading out to these tiny rear end "balconies". If it was meant to be a non-weight bearing decorative piece, don't put a loving door in that opens to it. Especially when your target demographic is college students, and your apartment complex is walking distance from most of the bars in town.

kastein posted:

Better put backflow preventers on the hot/cold feeds to the shower if you intend to do that... unless you want the toilet filling with warmish water and the sink valves both having a mind of their own. Much like electricity, water takes the easiest path, if that means through the water heater, up the hot pipe, through the shower hot valve, and through the shower cold valve to the sink cold valve for 50% hot/cold coming out the cold valve, so be it.

E: more specifically you will always get some flow from each source, according to its supply capability and the restriction on the wire/pipe from it to you.

One restaurant I worked in always had issues with getting scalding hot water from the toilets, sinks, etc. Let me tell you, it wasn't fun taking a dump at work.

... they always left both valves on the mop sink wide open, and had a Y splitter on it with individual shutoffs (the kind you'd use to hook up 2 hoses or sprinklers to an outside spigot). I'd turn off the cold water at the mop sink every few days, things would be fine, then someone would think you needed warm instead of hot water for the mop bucket.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

One restaurant I worked in always had issues with getting scalding hot water from the toilets, sinks, etc. Let me tell you, it wasn't fun taking a dump at work.

... they always left both valves on the mop sink wide open, and had a Y splitter on it with individual shutoffs (the kind you'd use to hook up 2 hoses or sprinklers to an outside spigot). I'd turn off the cold water at the mop sink every few days, things would be fine, then someone would think you needed warm instead of hot water for the mop bucket.

Wait, as in both faucets tied together into a single hose? :psyduck:

I mean I'm familiar with the general intellectual class of people you work with, but still.. loving A.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

EPAL marked euro pallets are worth :tenbux: if you take them to the container terminal at the industrial estate.
Which would be worth it, were it not that they yield close to €20 worth of lumber.

Coloured pallets are more of a pain, that staining really ruins the wood.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Could you use pallet wood as like a lath if you slapped on some treat-n-seal and made the actual support structure out of good, not lovely material? In the name of recycling and with the goal of making a small outbuilding structure.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Suspect Bucket posted:

Could you use pallet wood as like a lath if you slapped on some treat-n-seal and made the actual support structure out of good, not lovely material? In the name of recycling and with the goal of making a small outbuilding structure.

sure, why not?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah, nothing wrong with that. Only real problem is they aren't long enough for much; a small shed or an outhouse maybe.

The off-cuts from the lumber mill are even better since they are longer.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

Sure. People used regular wood all the time in the old days for exterior facing. It was one of the few building materials they had. The reason we don't use it much for that purpose anymore is because of the cost, maintenance and insects potentially eating it.

If you can get the pallet slats for free, layer them right so they shed water and keep repainting/restaining the outside as often as necessary, then you only have to worry about insects. Regarding bugs, that too can be mitigated by building a proper foundation up off the ground to make it harder for termites to reach.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i found this to be way more interesting that I expected

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Our wing pallets we received in Singapore had bits of mahogany and teak in them. Some guys in the crew stripped those down for projects.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I once spent a few afternoons with my dad disassembling a few hefty pallets he brought home from work, that's where he taught me how to use hand tools and identify woods. I was 5. We brought the nice bits of wood to my poppy, who built the best bird houses out of it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm. (not mine)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Not pictured off to the side, someone in the fetal position questioning their life.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Ehh, it's super-easy to get distracted and install a door wrong. I can't remember how many doors I reinstalled upside-down when painting my house, failing to realize until the door couldn't latch. Fortunately it's also super-easy to take a door down and reinstall it correctly. The fact that there are now holes on the wrong side of the door is a little irritating, but nothing some spackle and paint can't fix.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

couldcareless posted:

Not pictured off to the side, someone in the fetal position questioning their life.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hahaha IKEA in a nutshell. That woman just put together five IKEA chairs and a table using nothing but a handheld screwdriver and the lovely allen wrench it came with. Right now she is holding her ruined wrists in her crotch as the firey pain of impending carpal tunnel syndrome is forgotten against the firey pain of realizing she thought she was finally done with this three-hour ordeal, but actually no she has to take those two legs off and put them on the right way wrong.

And there's like thirty extra screws. So there's still three more chairs to go!

Added bonus: she just bought a bunch of IKEA furniture because she moved, so she's been doing this at 10pm on sunday night after spending the whole weekend hauling all her poo poo up and down several flights of stairs.

That, my friends, is the full story of that photo. I've deduced most of it but you all know it's true.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I was pleasantly surprised that my new IKEA deskchair comes with a suitable allen bit for an electric screwdriver, as well as the usual spanner.

Of course, using an electric drill with a screw made of cheese is a receipe for fun.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have a fair amount of IKEA stuff and some of it has been fine. Of course, I own my own power tools and allen wrenches and stuff, and I never try to put together more than one piece of furniture in a weekend.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Some of the Sheep posted:

It's not somewhere in Hawaii is it?

Hah, I forgot about that. Anybody have the link to that thread?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I was installing a ceiling fan this weekend which I've never done before. I followed the directions exactly and there is a red cord from the ceiling that the instructions doesn't say anything about. The gently caress instructions? Brand new house. Ended up calling a buddy who told me to just connect it to the same line as the black line from the fan. Worked like a charm but I hate that poo poo.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I was installing a ceiling fan this weekend which I've never done before. I followed the directions exactly and there is a red cord from the ceiling that the instructions doesn't say anything about. The gently caress instructions? Brand new house. Ended up calling a buddy who told me to just connect it to the same line as the black line from the fan. Worked like a charm but I hate that poo poo.

It's likely so you can have fan and light on separate wall switches.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The fan has a remote. All the googling I did said the red wire is for a wall switch, but wasn't sure why that was needed for it to run. The switch does turn the fan light on and off now though.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

It's likely so you can have fan and light on separate wall switches.

That's exactly what the red wire is for. Black would go to switch A and red to switch B. Much nicer for being able to keep the fan running and the light off without having to stretch over whatever the fan is hanging over to pull cords instead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

There are no pull cords, just a remote with a light and 3 fan speed buttons.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Your house didn't know that when it was being built

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

I have a fair amount of IKEA stuff and some of it has been fine. Of course, I own my own power tools and allen wrenches and stuff, and I never try to put together more than one piece of furniture in a weekend.

In my experience IKEA tends to be write-once furniture. It doesn't transport in any way whatsoever, but boy howdy you can put it up and leave it in one part of the house forever.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Current minor gripe with my place. The layout is approximately this:

The a/c unit is one of the big heat/cool combos you see in hotels. Easily has the juice to keep the place cool.

However, due to the layout, it keeps the living room at whatever I set it at, but the bedroom is 8-10 degrees warmer. I've tried various combinations of fans to try and suck the cool air into the bedroom, to no effect. If I wasn't renting I'd just put a hole in the wall in the back of the closet and mount a fan in there, but alas. And I don't want to crank it up to arctic because then my power bill will be stupid and the living room will be 65 degrees just to have the bedroom at 73.

During the winter, it's not an issue, as there's a small secondary heater in the wall of the bedroom. No backup A/C though unless I want to stick a window unit in one of the three windows this place has and increase my power bill.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Javid posted:

The a/c unit is one of the big heat/cool combos you see in hotels. Easily has the juice to keep the place cool.

However, due to the layout, it keeps the living room at whatever I set it at, but the bedroom is 8-10 degrees warmer. I've tried various combinations of fans to try and suck the cool air into the bedroom, to no effect. If I wasn't renting I'd just put a hole in the wall in the back of the closet and mount a fan in there, but alas. And I don't want to crank it up to arctic because then my power bill will be stupid and the living room will be 65 degrees just to have the bedroom at 73.

During the winter, it's not an issue, as there's a small secondary heater in the wall of the bedroom. No backup A/C though unless I want to stick a window unit in one of the three windows this place has and increase my power bill.

Honestly, a small 8000 BTU window unit on a timer shouldn't impact your electrical too much. They're pretty efficient these days if you purchase a quality model. Hell, you could probably go smaller depending on the square footage.

You can also get exhaust fans made to be installed in windows to suck air into the room, but then your main A/C would be running a whole lot more. A dedicated A/C for the bedroom would probably be more power efficient.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 3, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Stick a window unit in the bedroom?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

flosofl posted:

Honestly, a small 8000 BTU window unit on a timer shouldn't impact your electrical too much. They're pretty efficient these days if you purchase a quality model. Hell, you could probably go smaller depending on the square footage.

Depends on your perspective for impact. It'll run a good $20-50 a month depending on how you use it and the outside temps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

backup A/C though unless I want to stick a window unit in one of the three windows this place has and increase my power bill.

If you put a window unit in the bedroom, then you can turn off the other one at night, saving money on your power bill. Zoning!