Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kellsterik posted:

I love that art. Is the book worth picking up? I heard it was picking up on some of the pre-Decimation status quo from Morrison's run.
It's really good, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like the one where Luthor pours millions of dollars into a computer programme that will reveal Superman's identity, then when it reveals that he's Clark Kent, he flies into a rage, cancels the project and sacks the scientist who designed the software, because obviously nobody as powerful as Superman would choose to be a mild-mannered newspaper reporter.

Or when Damien in the Injustice arc responds to Batman's "Icarus Protocol" to shut down the Watchtower before Superman could 'out' him by saying "you're a living computer...and you're supposedly the smartest man alive. You're telling me you can't put four little words online?"

Source: Injustice, can't remember the exact issue.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 25, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Thank god for punctuation.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Couple more from E.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Sooraya? Does my problematic fave Dust show up in this series or is that just a namedrop?

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 25, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's one of Magneto's X-Men.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Couple more from E.

Someone said this with the "getting back in the game" panel a while back and it's loving hilarious to see Scott actually correct someone. Every time.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 25, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Technically they're not lasers, they're optic force blasts.
(----(=====) /
(______o__)

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Is that jet fuel joke real or a dumb edit

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Dimensional portals in his eyes. Punches from the Punch Dimension.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tremendous Taste posted:

Is that jet fuel joke real or a dumb edit
It's an edit from earlier in this very thread.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ah. I meant "good"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

John Dyne posted:

I always got the in universe logic for having a secret identity, but it doesn't make a lot of sense if you dissect it, especially in the Silver age. What're they gonna do, hound him with the press? Put the woman or kid that's already always in loving peril in MORE peril?

Newspaper Spider-Man is the best for this (and everything). He's got to have his secret identity to protect those he loves, but Peter Parker is openly Spider-Man's official photographer, and Spider-Man spends so much time around MJ that people think they're having an affair (and that Peter is really clueless). It's so obvious it seems like people are just pretending not to know Peter is Spider-Man because they don't want to disappoint him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Dimensional portals in his eyes. Punches from the Punch Dimension.

Pretty sure that at one point someone tried to make the canon that his eyes were portals to another dimension of composed of pure energy, so you're not far off.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty sure that at one point someone tried to make the canon that his eyes were portals to another dimension of composed of pure energy, so you're not far off.

Well, I mean, our dimension is one of pure energy, too, so it's not much of a stretch.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's king-sperg drivel from the Official Marvel Handbook.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Drifter posted:

Well, I mean, our dimension is one of pure energy, too, so it's not much of a stretch.

Yeah, it's like someone saying that anti-universes are because the electrons orbit the atoms the *other way*, or the planets follow different orbital directions/trajectories. It is interesting when you see the difference in narrative between old comics and new ones - they know they can't just spitball bullshit because some amateur NdT or the *real* NdT will call them on it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Tiggum posted:

Newspaper Spider-Man is the best for this (and everything). He's got to have his secret identity to protect those he loves, but Peter Parker is openly Spider-Man's official photographer, and Spider-Man spends so much time around MJ that people think they're having an affair (and that Peter is really clueless). It's so obvious it seems like people are just pretending not to know Peter is Spider-Man because they don't want to disappoint him.

I also remember that Ultimate Peter was completely terrible at keeping his identity secret.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, it's like someone saying that anti-universes are because the electrons orbit the atoms the *other way*, or the planets follow different orbital directions/trajectories. It is interesting when you see the difference in narrative between old comics and new ones - they know they can't just spitball bullshit because some amateur NdT or the *real* NdT will call them on it.
I think old comics were happy to spitball things because their main audience was more than happy to accept "okay, Cyclops' eyes work like a plant and shoot energy" while newer comics' audience contain outspoken and insufferable nerds who can't just accept "shoots punchbeams" as an explanation and need to invent extensive explanations for how things physically work in a world where DNA contains code for turning into steel before they can suspend their disbelief. Like the difference between roleplayers who just want a rough structure to drape their collaborative storytelling over and the ones who need extensive tHAC0 and encounter tables so they know the DM isn't 'cheating'.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I swear Burnham consulted with Chris Sims on writing Cyclops' dialogue.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Brave Old World # 2

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Sizone posted:

Brave Old World # 2

quote:

He, like many of his contemporaries, was of the opinion that women were by nature sexually uninterested. Acton claimed that: "The majority of women (happily for them) are not very much troubled with sexual feeling of any kind."[1] He further stated that "As a general rule, a modest woman seldom desires any sexual gratification for herself. She submits to her husband's embraces, but principally to gratify him; and, were it not for the desire of maternity, would far rather be relieved from his attentions."[2] According to Acton, a small percentage of "normal" women felt sexual desire when they menstruated, but he primarily described sexual desire in women as a symptom of nymphomania.

He was also apparently a leading proponent of the "masturbation is gonna make you go blind" theory.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh Stan. :allears:

Amazing Spider-Man (Newspaper Strip), June 21.

No idea what image hoster that is, but it doesn't seem to support hotlinking.

Re-up:

The best part is honest to god the selfie. It's so out of place for this frozen in time comic.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Saoshyant posted:

No idea what image hoster that is, but it doesn't seem to support hotlinking.

Re-up:

The best part is honest to god the selfie. It's so out of place for this frozen in time comic.

Thanks. For some reason imgur was being uncooperative when I tried uploading it originally so I just googled another hoster.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dammit, Batman!
How many Robins have we been through now?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Say Nothing posted:

Dammit, Batman!

Related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttwhjrE0m5g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNIfz4DMkZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTB7kWpOemQ

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Was....was that Conroy?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chaos Hippy posted:

Was....was that Conroy?
Uh yeah

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The Boys #2

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Bueno.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Get out of my Sanctum Solarium! :doom:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Say Nothing posted:

Dammit, Batman!

Meanwhile, Alfred's behind him like, "Welp, better uncover the lime pit..."

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Loki - Agent of Asgard #15 has a great burn by Freya:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Metalshark posted:

:drat:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Metalshark posted:

He's over 6000 years old, woman! It takes time to get Uru in the hammer at that age.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No wonder robin killed himself.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Say Nothing posted:

Bruce you have to own that disguise. Shave your drat legs.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And yet he spent the time to get that perfect Farrah Fawcett curl.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Bruce you have to own that disguise. Shave your drat legs.

Bruce doesn't give a gently caress about your standards of beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Say Nothing posted:

My Italian's a little rusty but... "I haven't had fun like this since college"?