Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Is there any synergy from having a knight and a ninja on your team? I feel like they're too competitive with each other in terms of two-handed and dual wield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
So uh.. I got WHM/BRSK. How much is Liquid Flame going to pain me?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

nuru posted:

Beastmaster feels weak on its own in my WHM/Zerk/Beastmaster party. I probably should just train my zerkers to use whips, then largely ignore it?
Beastmaster really starts shining once you've got the items (Kornago Gourd and Hypno Crown) that make !Catch and !Control easier to use, but even without them it's still good. The only real issue is that it's one of the most research-intensive classes in the game, even with respect to stuff like Chemist and Blue Mage. But I would definitely credit it with my victory over the superbosses in my practice run - Omega can be held down with !Calm, and Shinryu can be heavily nerfed with a combination of Berserk and Darkness (both of which can be granted with some setup around released monsters).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Trilin posted:

Is there any synergy from having a knight and a ninja on your team? I feel like they're too competitive with each other in terms of two-handed and dual wield.

Hmm... Knights with Throw for multi-target damage and armor-wearing Ninjas? That's about all I got. Yeah, they do kind of contradict each other (hell, Guard and Image serve basically the exact same purpose).

EDIT: Ooh, or longsword-wielding Ninjas! I don't think Equip Swords also lets you wield Knight Swords, but it's something. Double Ancient Swords for twice the Old chance, for instance.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Yeah that could work, I'm definitely afforded a lot of flexibility in how I want to approach the two jobs. Red Mage has been really benefiting from twohanded so far.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

gbuchold posted:

Alright, Beastmaster is pretty baller.

:byewhore:

I've tried this 5 times without any luck. Is it a bug GBA fixed?

kirbysuperstar posted:

So uh.. I got WHM/BRSK. How much is Liquid Flame going to pain me?

I ran 3xBRSK 1x WHM and just had the WHM curing every round and it worked out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

nuru posted:

I ran 3xBRSK 1x WHM and just had the WHM curing every round and it worked out.

Yeah, ended up doing that. Two of them died halfway through but it died eventually.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, ended up doing that. Two of them died halfway through but it died eventually.

It's like you're healing an MMO dungeon party of idiots.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

nuru posted:

gbuchold is using the GBA version, though maybe if you're using the EU version of the game it might be different?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bufuman posted:

Hmm... Knights with Throw for multi-target damage and armor-wearing Ninjas? That's about all I got. Yeah, they do kind of contradict each other (hell, Guard and Image serve basically the exact same purpose).

EDIT: Ooh, or longsword-wielding Ninjas! I don't think Equip Swords also lets you wield Knight Swords, but it's something. Double Ancient Swords for twice the Old chance, for instance.

Equip Swords lets you dual-wield Knight Swords, so you can wield Excalibur and Defender at the same time. Or Brave Blade/Ragnarok :getin:

nuru posted:

Banish has a low hit rate, so it takes a few tries for it to actually hit.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

My star for killing NED showed up, so I guess at this point I can reregister and such?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Also, holy crap have you guys been busy since I was asleep. That bumps the total up to 38! Gonna hit the cap before the first week's over at this rate.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I have Monk/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Samurai. I'm in world 2, about to go to the Meatcastle and face Exdeath -- but I forgot to grind for reflect rings in the tower. I don't have any special rings.

Can this party beat Exdeath? Do just hope everyone but the monk can stay alive with drain sword?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Sax Solo posted:

I have Monk/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Samurai. I'm in world 2, about to go to the Meatcastle and face Exdeath -- but I forgot to grind for reflect rings in the tower. I don't have any special rings.

Can this party beat Exdeath? Do just hope everyone but the monk can stay alive with drain sword?

Worst comes to worst, buy a whole bunch of whatever the strongest throwable weapon is at that point and chuck them all as fast as possible. Or just throw money.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Thoughts on Knight/Ninja/Samurai/Dragoon chaos run: I forgot how annoying a team with no magic or trickery (RIP !Mix) could be even if the jobs you do have are strong. There's a lot of World 3 stuff I pretty much had no option but to bruteforce, so I ended up doing some grinding to break through the Cleft. The whole game was easy up until that point, though. Neo Exdeath went down to a hail of spare change and shuriken.

Oh, add another Fartz to the pile.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I forgot how annoying a team with no magic or trickery (RIP !Mix) could be even if the jobs you do have are strong.
Aaaa a million times this. So far I've rolled Theif/Zerk/Ninja/Dancer and Theif/Zerk/Ranger/Dragoon, and let me tell you, "hit mans with stick :downs:" does not make for interesting strategy or exciting gameplay.

E: And it's not like they were No750 runs either, though I'm definitely doing a 750 next to make up for it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Thoughts on Knight/Ninja/Samurai/Dragoon chaos run: I forgot how annoying a team with no magic or trickery (RIP !Mix) could be even if the jobs you do have are strong.
Last year, my first fiesta, I got distracted by IRL stuff shortly after hitting the second world and never finished. Currently I'm on the cusp of heading there again, but with a party similar to yours: monk, berserker, beastmaster, dancer.

I'll be heading into virgin territory tomorrow. I'm more worried than enthused.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Up yours, Shinryu :smuggo:

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Bad Seafood posted:

Last year, my first fiesta, I got distracted by IRL stuff shortly after hitting the second world and never finished. Currently I'm on the cusp of heading there again, but with a party similar to yours: monk, berserker, beastmaster, dancer.

I'll be heading into virgin territory tomorrow. I'm more worried than enthused.

For what it's worth, beastmaster is a very solid class with a lot of trickery that you can use to brutalize most bosses without issue. You'll be fine!

Prancer
Nov 17, 2011

Bard/Berk/Samurai/Berk.

Pretty decent team. Could zeninage when just beating them down wasn't enough. Bard really suffered from having two berserkers since having only one controllable party member was a bit dangerous.
I don't think I got much of a chance against Omega and Shinryu unless I grind so let's start another run.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
http://www.twitch.tv/everhate The legend himself is up against Neo ExDeath once more. Will a team of level 85-86 berserkers chop down this tree?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Thoughts on Knight/Ninja/Samurai/Dragoon chaos run: I forgot how annoying a team with no magic or trickery (RIP !Mix) could be even if the jobs you do have are strong.

I know what you mean. My team is Knight/Berserker/Ninja/Samurai, and while I haven't had any trouble so far, it's been a pretty boring run. There's little to do other than attack over and over again. Early on, I had at least some variety thanks to scrolls, but now that I'm in the third world even they can't compete with simple auto-attacks. Though to be fair, going for the Brave Blade certainly didn't help in that regard. Having to fight every random encounter is rather tedious.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Prancer posted:

Bard/Berk/Samurai/Berk.

Pretty decent team. Could zeninage when just beating them down wasn't enough. Bard really suffered from having two berserkers since having only one controllable party member was a bit dangerous.
I don't think I got much of a chance against Omega and Shinryu unless I grind so let's start another run.

If youre willing to try, I think you could take down omega. Get all the agility+ gear you can find and stick it on your two party members. Have one sing the speed song and the other sing romeo's ballad. You have to get a little lucky with omega's opening move or two, but after that the speed song should make your ballad caster fast enough to lock down omega alone.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Add another Fartz to the tally.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 25, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

Equip Swords lets you dual-wield Knight Swords, so you can wield Excalibur and Defender at the same time. Or Brave Blade/Ragnarok :getin:

You're thinking too small. (from last year):

Nethertribes
Mar 19, 2011

BLOOD

Kyrosiris posted:

You're thinking too small. (from last year):

Well, I wouldn't call Ned a god, but that's some serious double doom right there.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sax Solo posted:

Hey, you got the same jobs as me!

(420 throw poo poo errday)

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

Edward_Tohr posted:

Give the Time Mage Equip Swords.

Problem solved! :v:
Holy poo poo I might actually have to do this on account of how awesome it would be

Prancer
Nov 17, 2011

Lilli posted:

If youre willing to try, I think you could take down omega. Get all the agility+ gear you can find and stick it on your two party members. Have one sing the speed song and the other sing romeo's ballad. You have to get a little lucky with omega's opening move or two, but after that the speed song should make your ballad caster fast enough to lock down omega alone.

Unfortunately, stop doesn't work while Omega is already stopped so this would eventually lead to romeo's ballad being used too early. I've gotten the pretty good at timing the next ballad when the first runs out but eventually Omega will get an attack in and then someone dies and it goes downhill.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think I will finally have time to continue on tonight. I think I'm gonna be mostly on auto-pilot through world 2 with my Geo and Dancer.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Prancer posted:

Unfortunately, stop doesn't work while Omega is already stopped so this would eventually lead to romeo's ballad being used too early. I've gotten the pretty good at timing the next ballad when the first runs out but eventually Omega will get an attack in and then someone dies and it goes downhill.

Given how many turns you'll be getting at that point, it probably doesn't matter.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Bufuman posted:

Victories have to be verified by RK, and he has to sleep sometime. It's been over an hour for me and I'm still not verified, so he's probably out. You might as well check back in the morning.

He's in Japan, so he's EST+15. So he was likely getting home from work/eating dinner as of this post. Just keep that in mind for expectations on reviewing victories. He's usually pretty good about logging victories if he's not sleeping or working.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

NGDBSS posted:

I'd heard about that, but when I tried doing other things at that point the window had evidently already passed. Slow on the draw, perhaps.
I'd toggled the turbo mode on it and set it to run even while inactive, so it was mostly just a background annoyance for an hour or so. (In-game time was about seven hours.)

Edit: Questions asked: 1

The window for it is 30 bar-ticks, about 4 seconds of realtime. Most character's turns take 80-100 ticks normally, 40-50 when hasted, so you want to have someone ready to go in advance before the window appears. It'll be gone if you have to wait for someone to charge up.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

God, Garula is a tedious fight when all you have is daggers and potions. It's almost like this game wasn't designed with only having one job per crystal in mind or something. :j:

V PRAISE BE TO THE CHOSEN ONE

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
4 Berserker guy did it.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Praise our lord and savior BACON, who has saved the world from the void with a clutch double aegis into triple quake.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
He did it.... he finally did it.... :unsmith:

I guess anything is possible.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Now to do it on GBA without the Thornlet underflow glitch :unsmigghh:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
This ending... :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Prancer posted:

Except Ive done this exact strategy before and its worked, having a single person casting romeo's ballad can keep him locked down at high enough speed.

E: Oh poo poo everhate won!

• Locked thread