Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

double nine posted:

Additionally, is diplo-annexation even worth it at this point (vs direct conquest-annexation)?

If you're not colonizing or need a big navy early than diplo-annexing is super good in the early/mid game because Admin points are everything and Diplo points are completely expendable.

Like the first 15 levels of admin tech give you four idea slots, the admin monarchy/republic government type, missionary strength/tax/unrest bonuses via decisions, and a bunch of production efficiency bonuses. The first 15 levels of diplo give new ships, raise naval morale but also maintenance, and give a bunch of colonial/trade range/efficiency bonuses.

If you're not planning on colonizing early or focusing on trade throughout the game then you can easily afford to fall behind by like 4-5 diplo tech levels and just spend all your diplo points on peace deals, diplo ideas, and diplo-annexing and be totally fine. You'll obviously expand slower than just taking territory directly, but you'll also be freeing up your admin points at a really crucial time in the game and getting your first 2-3 idea slots asap. You still inevitably end up taking a lot of territory directly, but I'm a huge fan of vassalizing targets of opportunity whenever I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I found a bug a while ago that I never bothered reporting but, uh, you can actually use it for something pretty gamebreaking now. When you form a new country via decision, it removes all separatism from every province you own. So if you wait to form Russia until immediately after you conquer Danzig/Prague/Vienna, then press the button, you can immediately switch to Western tech too. Welp!

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Yeah I found what I think is a bug too. I got some sort of appoint cardinal event wherein the cardinal in question was related to the Pope, and I've had a -25 Pope's Pet diplo penalty for almost 250 years. I had hoped that the last patch would fix it but it hasn't. Of course, maybe it was designed that way, but it seems a little harsh.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I didn't realize how careful you need to be when playing a German nation. All your neighbors are just waiting for you to get in a drawn out war to kick you when down.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

James The 1st posted:

I didn't realize how careful you need to be when playing a German nation. All your neighbors are just waiting for you to get in a drawn out war to kick you when down.

That's why it's called the HRE Thunderdome.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

:smithicide:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it possible to become a strong trading power without colonization/trade companies? I want to play a Hansa game without stepping out of Northern/North-eastern Europe.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

Is it possible to become a strong trading power without colonization/trade companies? I want to play a Hansa game without stepping out of Northern/North-eastern Europe.

There's an Achievement for getting over 90% tP in 2 of the game's most hotly contested nodes as Venice while maintaining only 10 provinces...yeah it's possible and it's powerful.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Wut?

rofl

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

That's gotta suck, getting a pu that late in the game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shayu posted:

Wut?

rofl
Occasionally I remember why I love this game. :roflolmao:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There's an Achievement for getting over 90% tP in 2 of the game's most hotly contested nodes as Venice while maintaining only 10 provinces...yeah it's possible and it's powerful.

Nice, that's my next stop once Wiz's patch drops so development is much easier.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
New dev diary

it's just ideas this time, but look, finally Yarkand :banjo:

beta drops next week

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

New dev diary

beta drops next week
Thanks for posting this. Have they provided any more information on any changes to how development works yet?

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Koramei posted:

New dev diary

beta drops next week

Ideas for French minors! Finally I can play France without sacrificing my honour as a human being.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Koramei posted:

New dev diary

beta drops next week

I really wanted to play a leon game because I like the color and now they have good ideas so thats nice. Also mutapa finally has yearly inflation reduction as their tradition maybe now a different nation will come up as number 1 if you sort by inflation in the ledger. And the screenshot shows that orissa lost some land to a new nation andhra (maybe a vassal of orissa?). Now there are only 33 nations with generic ideas left and most of them are formables that don't really count because you keep your old ideas.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sorced posted:

Also mutapa finally has yearly inflation reduction as their tradition maybe now a different nation will come up as number 1 if you sort by inflation in the ledger.
I'm surprised that Mutapa did not get like....+0.25 inflation reduction. Mutapa is a country I want to vassalize then Enable Scutage.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ideas for Great Sapmi :allearss:. All is right in the world.

fakeedit: I hope for a Sapmi achievement.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Wiz add African minor religions please, I don't want to be "animist" let me be an awesome Voodoo Queen

e: the ideas look really good

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm thinking of PMing Wiz some thoughts on ideas for Morocco and Tunis since they definitely need them and I have been pondering it for a long time. Would definitely go with fort defense, fort upkeep, increased attrition, galley combat, naval upkeep, and PIRACY.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

quote:

Moluccan Ideas

Traditions
Production Efficiency: +10.0%, Goods Produced Modifier: +10.0%

The Spice Islands: Trade Efficiency: +10.0%
Shared Cultural Heritage: Yearly Legitimacy: +1.00
Dominance over the Outer Islands: Colonists: +1
Agents of Trade: Merchants: +1
Four Kingdoms: National Unrest: -2.00
Alliance with the Papuans: Light Ship Combat Ability: +15.0%
Pragmatic Diplomacy: Diplomats: +1

Ambition
Attrition for Enemies: +1.00

:vince: I never wanted to play as Ternate until now; the islands of the Pacific shall be my enemies' graves.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Still no Tabarestan? Not even cultural group ideas?

Countries with cheevos should get NIs. :drat:

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Baron Porkface posted:

Still no Tabarestan? Not even cultural group ideas?

Countries with cheevos should get NIs. :drat:

Tabarestan got Persian ideas in the CS patch itself.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

thatdarnedbob posted:

:vince: I never wanted to play as Ternate until now; the islands of the Pacific shall be my enemies' graves.

Holy poo poo I didn't even notice that free colonist. I wonder if this means we'll see a colonized Indonesia before the Europeans get there

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alikchi posted:

Wiz add African minor religions please, I don't want to be "animist" let me be an awesome Voodoo Queen
As long as high piety allows you to bring your ruler back from the dead, or to make your enemies zombies.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish we could get ideas for North African countires. Berber ideas are really weak and bad.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Anyone else noticing weird stuff with the AI just sitting there?

Venice and Castile have been sitting in this province for probably around 3 years now. The next year they're just sitting there and even bring a few more troops to sit there.

Same with the rest of my allies. It's like everyone's AI turned off except for the Ottomans.

Hopefully this is something fixed in the patch or maybe the AI just did the math and realized they weren't going to beat the Ottomans so it's better just to sit and wait till they annex me.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Trujillo posted:

Venice and Castile have been sitting in this province for probably around 3 years now. The next year they're just sitting there and even bring a few more troops to sit there.

Same with the rest of my allies. It's like everyone's AI turned off except for the Ottomans.

Hopefully this is something fixed in the patch or maybe the AI just did the math and realized they weren't going to beat the Ottomans so it's better just to sit and wait till they annex me.

Sometimes the AI of a country just goes braindead. Restarting the game always helps in those cases, so thats the first thing you should try if you think that the AI is behaving odd.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Trujillo posted:

I've noticed the ai go into sleep mode before for some counties. I've seen it multiple times in the past with Castile mostly just sitting there while getting occupied, or rebuilding single regiments and just leaving them sitting around and not merging. It's been a while since I've seen that exactly, but I've noticed my colonial nations go brain dead more recently

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
It seems like fort logic busts them sometimes too. Taking a fort in the area will usually jump start my allies if they were being dumb.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kersch posted:

It's been a while since I've seen that exactly, but I've noticed my colonial nations go brain dead more recently
I see Paradox did add the Voodoo religion.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I started a Bengal game and for some reason I'm getting huge peasant revolts despite having 0 war exhaustion an 2 stability. Like I'm getting 35 unit stacks

I don't think it's religious is it? Most my provinces are Sunni already

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

I wish we could get ideas for North African countires. Berber ideas are really weak and bad.

NI that add core cost for people are lame

Also I'd sorta like for there to be an idea that lowers the accepted culture besides in humanism. Maybe like influence or administration

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 25, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Arzakon posted:

It seems like fort logic busts them sometimes too. Taking a fort in the area will usually jump start my allies if they were being dumb.
Yeah this has been my experience as well. Sometimes the AI will just sit outside of an enemy province that's under a fort's control, like it's not quite sure how to go about actually conquering it. Taking the nearest fort and "unlocking" its ZoC usually gets them going again.

PrinceRandom posted:

I started a Bengal game and for some reason I'm getting huge peasant revolts despite having 0 war exhaustion an 2 stability. Like I'm getting 35 unit stacks

I don't think it's religious is it? Most my provinces are Sunni already
What are the rebel stacks called when you mouse over them? ie: <Religion> Zealots, <Country> Separatists, etc.

Also if you go to your stability tab it should have a bunch of info on who's rebelling, what their goals are, and all that kind of stuff.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

VDay posted:

Yeah this has been my experience as well. Sometimes the AI will just sit outside of an enemy province that's under a fort's control, like it's not quite sure how to go about actually conquering it. Taking the nearest fort and "unlocking" its ZoC usually gets them going again.

What are the rebel stacks called when you mouse over them? ie: <Religion> Zealots, <Country> Separatists, etc.

Also if you go to your stability tab it should have a bunch of info on who's rebelling, what their goals are, and all that kind of stuff.

No they're peasants uprisings. Bengali Peasants

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

thatdarnedbob posted:

Which countries get those ideas anyway? Just those two island minors?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PrinceRandom posted:

No they're peasants uprisings. Bengali Peasants

Go to the Expansion and Stability tab. Look at which of your provinces have unrest. Click on the province. See why it has unrest.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They really need to make it so that fleets on trade orders that need to repair do so at the closest FRIENDLY port rather than closest national port. My trade fleets are constantly sailing between Europe and the new world to repair because the AI won't send them to my colonial nations, even though they can dock and repair there just fine.

A few times they'll even take attrition on the way back to their trade zone, reach their trade zone and realize they need repairs and sail back to europe.
Wiz, please :(

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

They really need to make it so that fleets on trade orders that need to repair do so at the closest FRIENDLY port rather than closest national port. My trade fleets are constantly sailing between Europe and the new world to repair because the AI won't send them to my colonial nations, even though they can dock and repair there just fine.

A few times they'll even take attrition on the way back to their trade zone, reach their trade zone and realize they need repairs and sail back to europe.
Wiz, please :(

Will look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

Will look at it.

Also who ever made it so that trade fleets in the same zone consolidate really made life easier, that was a really good change.

• Locked thread