Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Trasson posted:

Worst comes to worst, buy a whole bunch of whatever the strongest throwable weapon is at that point and chuck them all as fast as possible. Or just throw money.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Hey, you got the same jobs as me!

(420 throw poo poo errday)

Wasn't so bad, but Exdeath is going to be pooping gil for few days after all that Zeninage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Last year I had some personal stuff come up and wasn't able to find time for the fiesta, but this year I have the time and it seems to be going alright. Final party is Zerk/Zerk/Bard/Dancer. How likely am I to be able to get through either of the special bosses with a comp like this? I've never actually played ff5 all the way through, so I'm not well versed in strats for endgame.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

I know what you mean. My team is Knight/Berserker/Ninja/Samurai, and while I haven't had any trouble so far, it's been a pretty boring run. There's little to do other than attack over and over again. Early on, I had at least some variety thanks to scrolls, but now that I'm in the third world even they can't compete with simple auto-attacks. Though to be fair, going for the Brave Blade certainly didn't help in that regard. Having to fight every random encounter is rather tedious.

I'm very seriously considering Job Fair-ing any Knights or Ninjas I get over the remainder of the Fiesta. Having Ninja in literally every run for the last two years (aside from my current one) has showed me that Ninja is an insufferably tedious class outside that golden window when dancing dagger is viable.

Knight is even worse because of Brave Blade, though if you have a Ninja you should be going for Chicken knife and just slap Defender/XCab on the Knight. A no-run game is not really worth the 10 seconds of fun you have seeing a double fisted brave blade do ridic damage.

quote:

Final party is Zerk/Zerk/Bard/Dancer. How likely am I to be able to get through either of the special bosses with a comp like this? I've never actually played ff5 all the way through, so I'm not well versed in strats for endgame.

Yeesh, that's not an easy setup. Two fragile characters, one the flimsiest in the game and one that has to sustain songs to be viable means you're likely to see that Dancer die. A lot.

You can, in theory, do Omega due to Romeo's Ballad stopping him. As people have noted above, you have to pay attention to the timing of Stop and not use it when it's already up. You might have to keep one character constantly idle to put it up in case the other character is still charging for a turn. Axes ignore like 75% of armor or something so the Zerkers can damage Omega. It's going to be an obscenely time consuming task, but it's possible.

And Shinryu is possible with nearly every comp (including 4 zerkers) with the right setup. Either Coral rings or Flame Rings + Aegis Shield is the go-to strategy and relying on the Berserkers blocking the opening tidal wave (which does about 7-8k before you can act). On top of that, Shinryu is holyshit fast and everything he tosses out will kill you. Most guaranteed Shinryu strats rely on locking him down, but there's absolutely nothing your comp can do to stop an attack. So again, like Omega, it's possible in theory.

Amgard fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 25, 2015

Prancer
Nov 17, 2011

Lilli posted:

Except Ive done this exact strategy before and its worked, having a single person casting romeo's ballad can keep him locked down at high enough speed.

I'm probably doing something wrong but I can't stop singing speed song which eventually causes romeo's ballad to be cast too early and not having any effect and my berserker can't kill Omega before that happens.

E: I've been trying this for far too long and I can't see it happening without grinding or being very lucky. Thanks for the help though!

Prancer fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 25, 2015

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Another triple crown for the pile.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Fartz Plus and crew are triple victorious!
I was always triple crown victorious and any stories to the contrary are lies and slander. :colbert:

First time Fiesta-ing and I enjoyed it a ton.

This made me break some terrible RPG habits I have. No grinding like crazy. Throwing elixirs like mad at the end. Etc etc. Fun and educational. :science:

Now it's time to go again.

Geocities Homepage King fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 25, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Lilli posted:

If youre willing to try, I think you could take down omega. Get all the agility+ gear you can find and stick it on your two party members. Have one sing the speed song and the other sing romeo's ballad. You have to get a little lucky with omega's opening move or two, but after that the speed song should make your ballad caster fast enough to lock down omega alone.

This is literally how my team did it, for what it's worth.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm actually dreading Liquid Flame for the first time with my White Mage/Zerk party :\

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Seravadon posted:

No triple crown though. It's my very first Fiesta and I didn't feel like grinding or anything.

Aww, but that team is easy mode for it! Omega can be locked down with !Calm on your three non-berserker peoples while your Berserker goes nuts, and Shinryu can be berserked by the Blue Mage with the Wonder Wand and blinded with Flash. You should try it! :)

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Capsaicin posted:

I'm actually dreading Liquid Flame for the first time with my White Mage/Zerk party :\

You have White Mage. You're never going to lose, but victory will take a while.

Give the zerk an axe, and keep the mages waiting to heal up.

And hope you roll something you can use against Byblos for the Fire crystal.

EDIT: Just re-reged, and Wind job is Summoner. Looks like I'm all set for this team to be able to kill Shinryu, anyway. :v:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
So this will be the first time I have used a Dancer, is there any way to get the tiara for the sword dance increase outside of stealing? Because no thief :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CapitalistPig posted:

So this will be the first time I have used a Dancer, is there any way to get the tiara for the sword dance increase outside of stealing? Because no thief :(

You can buy it in World 3, but by the time you can do that, you can just go to Phoenix Tower and Thief's Knife yourself a Rainbow Dress, which has the same effect.

So, sadly, no Sword Dance Up until world 3 after the Pyramid. :(

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

KataraniSword posted:

A run down of World 1's missables:

Do you have Summoner? Get Shiva (Walse Castle) and Ramuh (Forests east of Istory).
Do you have Bard? Get Alluring Air (Lix) and Romeo's Ballad (Istory).
Black Mage? Get Toad (Istory), though it's hardly essential or useful at all.
Time Mage? Get Speed (Walse Castle basement), though it's actually useless.
Staff-using character? Go to Tycoon and get the Healing Staff if you haven't yet, you nerd.
Anyone else? Make sure you've got the Elf Mantle from Walse Castle's basement, but that's it. Ethers in Lix are half off, if you have a bunch of money to stock up on them with.

For reference, the places you can't revisit after world 1 at all are Lix, Istory, and Walse. The only place in World 2 you can't visit after the merge is the Moogle Village. You can only visit Tycoon and the Great Library in the very beginning of World 3, though you miss out on the Healing Staff if you didn't get it in World 1 and the Great Library's missable is only in World 3. You can actually get Ramuh if you missed him... at the very end of the game, in the final dungeon, as a rare encounter. Long after he's stopped being relevant.
Thanks! I ended up heading to World 2 already, but checking my inventory / spells, I grabbed all of those.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Capsaicin posted:

It was way easier than I expected. I think I did it with three Zerks and one WhM and it required no grinding. I think I did it at about level 14, just based on needing to gain a couple levels prior to the library.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Kyrosiris posted:

You can buy it in World 3, but by the time you can do that, you can just go to Phoenix Tower and Thief's Knife yourself a Rainbow Dress, which has the same effect.

So, sadly, no Sword Dance Up until world 3 after the Pyramid. :(

Hmm, I'm struggling to find a good use for the dancer since my damage is covered by my summoners and I have a white mage for heals and such, I suppose later in the game once I have all the endgame stuff I can pop the dancer in the front row and bard him up with hero rime.

Any suggestions?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

CapitalistPig posted:

Hmm, I'm struggling to find a good use for the dancer since my damage is covered by my summoners and I have a white mage for heals and such, I suppose later in the game once I have all the endgame stuff I can pop the dancer in the front row and bard him up with hero rime.

Any suggestions?

Could just make them another platform for !White or !Summon. There's never a bad time for more Titans/Syldras. Dancer can even wear Gaia Gear/wield Air Daggers. :v:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Aww, but that team is easy mode for it! Omega can be locked down with !Calm on your three non-berserker peoples while your Berserker goes nuts, and Shinryu can be berserked by the Blue Mage with the Wonder Wand and blinded with Flash. You should try it! :)

I went back and did Omega while I'm waiting for my victory to process...

I either can't get flash to stick on Shinryu or he's still too much for me. He's mowing down my guys faster than I can revive them.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

CapitalistPig posted:

Any suggestions?

Honestly, you could give them literally any of the subjob abilities from your other three jobs or just keep them to dance with with the chicken knife and you'd be fine. I'd probably do sing personally just because it gives your white mage and summoner the ability to drop even heftier nukes faster. Especially during NED where a handful of turns from swift song and hero's rime will make it so your white mage and summoner can wipe neo-exdeath out with syldra before he does anything dangerous.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Kyrosiris posted:

Could just make them another platform for !White or !Summon. There's never a bad time for more Titans/Syldras. Dancer can even wear Gaia Gear/wield Air Daggers. :v:

Yep thats what i'll have to do then.

Lilli posted:

I'd probably do sing personally just because it gives your white mage and summoner the ability to drop even heftier nukes faster. Especially during NED where a handful of turns from swift song and hero's rime will make it so your white mage and summoner can wipe neo-exdeath out with syldra before he does anything dangerous.

Good idea too.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Seravadon posted:

I either can't get flash to stick on Shinryu or he's still too much for me. He's mowing down my guys faster than I can revive them.

Yeah, when berserked he's going to take anyone out in one hit, but it's just one to two people a round. Just let your Berserker do the murdering - everyone that isn't a Berserker should just be on phoenix down-chucking duty. :)

Good work on Omega, though!

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Seravadon posted:

Instead of trying to blind him you could abuse the mirage vest glitch to get infinite images on your party to just dodge his attacks. That or use the actual !image ability from ninja.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lilli posted:

Instead of trying to blind him you could abuse the mirage vest glitch to get infinite images on your party to just dodge his attacks. That or use the actual !image ability from ninja.

...oh yeah, I didn't even consider that. :doh:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Lilli posted:

Kyrosiris posted:

...oh yeah, I didn't even consider that. :doh:

The Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta: Where cutting out 90% of your options still leaves you with more than enough. :v:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Current party lineup: Ninja, Beastmaster, Bard

I hope I get Ranger next.

e: I will settle for Geomancer, as well.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 25, 2015

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I have a triple crown too.

Shinryu's fast death animation made me unable to screenshot on time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Amgard posted:

Knight is even worse because of Brave Blade, though if you have a Ninja you should be going for Chicken knife and just slap Defender/XCab on the Knight. A no-run game is not really worth the 10 seconds of fun you have seeing a double fisted brave blade do ridic damage.

Yeah, in retrospect giving the Ninja the Chicken Knife and Twinlance would have been the better choice. Especially since Smoke would have allowed me to run from everything in the third world. I mostly went for the Brave Blade because I never used it before, and I didn't expect it to be quite as tedious.

Ah well, it still worked out in the end.

Hopefully, the next run will give me a bit more variety.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, when berserked he's going to take anyone out in one hit, but it's just one to two people a round. Just let your Berserker do the murdering - everyone that isn't a Berserker should just be on phoenix down-chucking duty. :)

Good work on Omega, though!

Lilli posted:

I appreciate you guys trying to help but as you can see from my victory post I always had a triple crown. Always.

(Thanks for the ideas, I had independently come up with the idea of Image just as I read your post and it helped a bunch.)

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Natural run appears to be going well. I've only got 600 more AP to go! :negative:

I'm not really sure how important it is for my Red Mage to have Multicast right now though since my chemist can go everything that she can. Is it really worth the grind?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Ikwaylx posted:

Natural run appears to be going well. I've only got 600 more AP to go! :negative:

I'm not really sure how important it is for my Red Mage to have Multicast right now though since my chemist can go everything that she can. Is it really worth the grind?

No.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sorry if I'm blind but I didn't see this in the OP, if I want to participate is there a mandatory donation? I ask because I'm really broke right now but I still feel like I might participate before the month's over, unless that's also too late.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I just blew up the barrier tower, how far into the game am I?

Having no real healing capacity as Beast/BM/Zerk/Monk kind of sucks.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Lurdiak posted:

Sorry if I'm blind but I didn't see this in the OP, if I want to participate is there a mandatory donation? I ask because I'm really broke right now but I still feel like I might participate before the month's over, unless that's also too late.

Not at all! Unless you name your character Fartz, then Mega64 has to donate $1 if you beat it.

e: fiesta goes on until August 31, so you've got plenty of time.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Deki posted:

I just blew up the barrier tower, how far into the game am I?

Having no real healing capacity as Beast/BM/Zerk/Monk kind of sucks.

You're about 1/2 to 3/4 through depending on how much of W3 you do.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
So, my 2nd Chaos run is Berserker/Dragoon/Chemist/Dancer.

This means I had to suffer through Liquid Flame, Byblos (who was really easy actually), the Sand Worm and Sol Cannon with 4 Berserkers.

The Sand Worm was the worst since the Sol Cannon was just waiting for the right numbers to pop up. At least in that fight you aren't praying for the Worm to come to the front row and your Berserkers to happen to swing there.

At least grinding up these Angel Rings got me up to level 28.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

41. Nearing the cap already!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Sweet, RK approved my victory while I slept. #regchaos time.

Gilgabot posted:

@Bufuman can now use the Wind Job 'Blue Mage'. Capes and masks! Dashing! Daring! Caring!

Uh oh. I hope this isn't a repeat of last year when I got Blue Mage for 4 of my 7 runs. I love the living hell out of the class, but after that I was kind of sick of them last year.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
so my strategy of getting all the "increase odds of sword dance" gear and equipping it to each member of my party isn't going to work

i guess that each piece of gear can only be equipped by dancers... and freelancers..

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Bufuman posted:

Sweet, RK approved my victory while I slept. #regchaos time.

Uh oh. I hope this isn't a repeat of last year when I got Blue Mage for 4 of my 7 runs. I love the living hell out of the class, but after that I was kind of sick of them last year.
haha wanna trade? I've had Red Mage on all three of my runs this year.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

hubris.height posted:

so my strategy of getting all the "increase odds of sword dance" gear and equipping it to each member of my party isn't going to work

i guess that each piece of gear can only be equipped by dancers... and freelancers..

The Rainbow Dress, Red Slippers, and Ribbon are all part and parcel of Equip Ribbons, yeah.

Lamia's Tiaras carry the Sword Dance Up effect, though, and are fairly universal (heavy armor classes can't use them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

hubris.height posted:

You can get another one by equiping the dancer's "Equip Ribbons" passive on someone with the dancing dagger.

• Locked thread