Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

KaneTW posted:

that 11k Fell Cleave is with like Berserk and everything.

Still pretty drat insane.

It's like the ultimate solution to the tank shortage problem; make DPS classes redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Technogeek posted:

Unsurprisingly, those are both from the exact same post on the OF.

:gonk:

Burn the OF down, I got that from reddit.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Burn SA down too, because I'd play the hell out of kid miqote or au ra.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

pls dont turn miqote into the meme race again tia

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
So if anybody cares what's written on the Demon Book, most of it is seemingly nonsense (though this is likely not the case, just some mix of dragon and real greek, ie the title header), but they had a sense of humor about it:

If you aren't familiar with the Eorzean writing, the first and final letters of the first block of text on the right-side page of the book spell out something...

code:
C.....F
T.....H
H.....T
U.....A
L.....G
H.....N
U.....
:lol:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bad time to stroll up into this thread, because I just started playing the other day and decided to roll a miqote conjurer... :yikes:

So, uh, hi everyone. I think I found my new MMO addiction.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Excalibur is open if someone needs to make a character on there. I already got my Thaurmaturge to 15 on a different server, but I guess I'll start over... :(

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KaneTW posted:

Burn SA down too, because I'd play the hell out of kid miqote or au ra.

:henget:

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Bardeh posted:

Excalibur is open if someone needs to make a character on there. I already got my Thaurmaturge to 15 on a different server, but I guess I'll start over... :(
You really won't regret it, level 15 is not a lot of time, and now you know what to do ;)

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Bardeh posted:

There are dozens of us that just started on Excalibur too! At least when I look at the guild more and more people are joining everyday since I started like a week ago.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Velveteen posted:

There are dozens of us that just started on Excalibur too! At least when I look at the guild more and more people are joining everyday since I started like a week ago.

Can I have my character transfered?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK I registered on ffgoons and did all the confirmation stuff and put my character name on my profile there. Is there a next step, or do I just wait to get invited?

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Bardeh posted:

OK I registered on ffgoons and did all the confirmation stuff and put my character name on my profile there. Is there a next step, or do I just wait to get invited?
Follow the white rabbit

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Will the DX11 client have any impact on framerate? I know it makes things prettier and in generally prettier = laggier.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's better optimized, so you could probably get roughly the same framerate while looking better. It's pretty trivial to swap back and forth between them, so just try it out/run the benchmark.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

RC Cola posted:

Can I have my character transfered?

You can transfer your characters over, and from what I hear in this thread, you can bypass the character creation restrictions for Excalibur too. However it costs money so if you are low level on another server and Excalibur happens to open up its probably worth it to just reroll. If you can't manage to line up your play time to whenever there is an opening then rolling on another server and transferring over might be your only option.

When I started the game I logged into Excalibur at around midnight PST and I was able to create a character without any issues. So try late at night if its possible to see if it opened up.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DemonMage posted:

It's better optimized, so you could probably get roughly the same framerate while looking better. It's pretty trivial to swap back and forth between them, so just try it out/run the benchmark.

The optimization makes it a lot easier to run on computers with DX11 compatible graphics cards. My computer's fans aren't spinning as hard as they were when I ran the game in DX9.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Velveteen posted:

You can transfer your characters over, and from what I hear in this thread, you can bypass the character creation restrictions for Excalibur too.

This is false. Transfer does not bypass creation restrictions.

Character creation restriction is based on current live population of a server. The number of players online is constantly changing and during US peak time it is very unlikely you will get in. If you only keep an eye on this or Lodestone population notice blog posts (updates ~5 times a day) it is possible you will miss your chance to create/transfer a character on Excalibur.

It's best to just create a character you like, save their appearance and try creating a new character at various time during a day. If there's a scheduled maintenance coming you could try creating a character 15 minutes prior to it as a lot of people will be logging out around that time.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Unguided posted:

The optimization makes it a lot easier to run on computers with DX11 compatible graphics cards. My computer's fans aren't spinning as hard as they were when I ran the game in DX9.

Huh, my ~5 year old graphics card can run DX11 and yeah the game does seem to be a bit smoother. Now I just have to pick between big pissed off hyur lady or use my fantasia to switch to slightly less big pissed off dragon lady.

e:Wow, made a dragon lady to check out the animations. They changed the text and a guard's animation on Ul'dah's intro so you know whatthe guy's trying to plant on the merchant. Didn't know they went back to touch up inconsequential stuff like that, but I'm not surprised. :allears:

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 25, 2015

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is the dx11 integration for everyone or just those who get Heavensward?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Did they increase the draw distance in HW? Is it something with the DX11 client?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm slowly trudging through the 2.1 content and I want to figure out what's the best way of using my silver chocobo feathers. I have the i115 Ishgard weapon, is it worth getting the ironworks one or just grabbing the armor?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Calihan posted:

I would wager money on WAR hands down surpassing classes like MCH in DPS right now.

Oh easily, they nearly outdps'd my bard (though they did have ~20 ilevels on me).

Holyshoot posted:

Act works for dx11 now? And does anyone have a download for spell timers for all the new skills?

I'm using the dx9 client, and apparently there is still bugs with dot parsing so those are just rough numbers.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Robo Reagan posted:

Will the DX11 client have any impact on framerate? I know it makes things prettier and in generally prettier = laggier.

I sometimes get lower frame rates, but that probably has more to do with the zones being like 10x a large than DX11 being weird.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Mango Polo posted:

I'm slowly trudging through the 2.1 content and I want to figure out what's the best way of using my silver chocobo feathers. I have the i115 Ishgard weapon, is it worth getting the ironworks one or just grabbing the armor?

Silver feathers?

Ironworks weapon is a very good option to buy, especially if you have a Carbon Twine from doing the CT weekly and can make it i130. The level 51 dungeon drops level 51 weapons that are i120, however you'd hold onto the ironworks until you were probably 54-55 and a MSQ reward will beat it. General rule of thumb: always get the weapon first for every single class.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Unguided posted:

I noticed the complete opposite. My temps go up a good 10 degrees running DX11 and I am running a fairly new card (Radeon R9 200). Of course, this isnt helped the fact the game only runs 10-30 minutes before crashing the display driver when in DX11 mode. No idea what the cause is as it only happens in this game, only in DX11 mode and from what I read, the issue seems to be happening for users of both Nvidia and Radeon.

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

I have a bunch of poetics, still rocking i120 gear on left side, but not sure if I should use them all right now. Do poetics get you the same stuff in both Mor Dhona and Idyllshire? (I have yet to make it to Idyllshire) Not sure if I should get Ironworks if there's gonna be immediately better. I'm slooooowly making my way through HW.

Anyone figure out how to increase the size of npc dialogue box yet? I'm still straining to read it, still getting headaches.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Idyllshire exclusively handles 3.0 stuff, like Law, Ravana/Bismark EX tokens, and 3.0 HNM tokens.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Are there Lalafel kids to? They must be soooo tiny.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

a kitten posted:

Are there Lalafel kids to? They must be soooo tiny.

I assume they come out nearly full sized. Ever seen the x-ray of a kiwi ready to lay an egg?

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
What's the verdict? Is Astrologian the supreme healer?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

No? They have their advantages and disadvantages, same as the other healers.

I don't know why people are constantly seeking out the ABSOLUTE BEST/WORST class for whatever role.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

cathead posted:

I don't know why people are constantly seeking out the ABSOLUTE BEST/WORST class for whatever role.

cause I like to be the absolute best, nerd.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

MikeyLikesIt posted:

cause I like to be the absolute best, nerd.

Well flip a coin then cause there's always going to something you're not as good at as another healer.

edit: you'd also need a 3 sided coin somehow, good luck

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

cathead posted:

Because no one wants to feel like they're wasting their time, even though MMOs are all giant wastes of time

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Malloreon posted:

Because no one wants to feel like they're wasting their time, even though MMOs are all giant wastes of time

I totally get that, but there's a big difference between "class has significant design issues and is an active detriment" and "class has some disadvantages but makes up for it elsewhere". The latter is what class balance is supposed to be. MCH is probably the only class currently that is anywhere near the former.

Even then we're going to actually need to see Alexander Hard before we have an idea of what's truly going to be needed at the top. Encounter mechanics can make quite a bit of difference in what sort of compositions will be viable.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

biopanda posted:

Anyone figure out how to increase the size of npc dialogue box yet? I'm still straining to read it, still getting headaches.

Which one, the one that looks like parchment for all the story dialog?

For those of you trying to select what to play based on what is optimum, consider that smn was considered worst only for the 2.4 patch cycle and it was less that it was bad and just not as :black101: as blm.

Play what is fun, the dev team will not let any one class be useless.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What's the macro that will automatically post in party chat that you're casting raise on a party member? I'm getting several instances where myself and the other healer end up casting a revive spell on the same dead person.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

cathead posted:

I totally get that, but there's a big difference between "class has significant design issues and is an active detriment" and "class has some disadvantages but makes up for it elsewhere". The latter is what class balance is supposed to be. MCH is probably the only class currently that is anywhere near the former.

Even then we're going to actually need to see Alexander Hard before we have an idea of what's truly going to be needed at the top. Encounter mechanics can make quite a bit of difference in what sort of compositions will be viable.

I'm starting to wonder if MCH may, in part, be a result of people not quite understanding how it all fits together. Some have reported some interesting results when you treat the class less like a 'gunner' and more like a 'I have an interesting collection of parts here that shoots things. Let me show you ALL THE FEATURES.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

I just....

• Locked thread