Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MC Nietzche posted:

So much delicious butthurt. gently caress your textualism Scalia!
Actually this

quote:

After acknowledging the strength of the plain language arguments from the challengers, the majority says "In this instance, the context and structure of the Act compel us to depart from what would otherwise be the most natural reading of the pertinent statutory phrase."
Sounds pretty much like textbook...textualism?

From my layperson perspective at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

emfive posted:

just saw a tweet in which somebody lamented that King didn't win and result in massive negative fallout for the GOP. I don't know if that's accelerationist or just dumb.

Both, it's fair to think that mainstream Republicans didn't want to deal with the fallout of a ruling against the ACA but there were probably enough insane conservatives to make fixing it completely impractical.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I was tickled by the first line in the Texas dissent.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I wonder what it is like in the oval office right now

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
How do lawyers read these things so fast?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

From the intro to Scalia's dissent: the majority's reading of the text "is of course quite absurd, and the Court's 21 pages of explanation make it no less so."

Fuuuck, this bottle of 2015 Chateau de Scalia is really quite wonderful.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm literally a lawyer because I read really loving fast

Holy poo poo I assumed the fair housing act was dead and didn't expect the aca opinion, let alone with a Scalia hissy fit

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Scalia has so much fun in his dissents. It's great.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

They are quite easy to read. If you already have a handle on the case you can skip the introduction and go straight to the meat of the decision. If you are in areal hurry you can skim along and you can pick out citations you know to quickly figure out the logic applied and read more to see exactly how it is applied.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

You read enough of them and you learn to filter out the fluff.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Modus ponens? More like SCOTUS moanin

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Drone posted:

From the intro to Scalia's dissent: the majority's reading of the text "is of course quite absurd, and the Court's 21 pages of explanation make it no less so."

THE ACA MUST BE SAVED

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
The Act that Congress passed makes
tax credits available only on an “Exchange established by
the State.” This Court, however, concludes that this limi
-
tation would prevent the rest of the Act from working as
well as hoped. So it rewrites the law to make tax credits
available everywhere. We should start calling this law
SCOTUScare.
Perhaps the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
will attain the enduring status of the Social Security Act
or the Taft-Hartley Act; perhaps not. But this Court’s two
decisions on the Act will surely be remembered through
the years.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Scalia's rage is in top form. He's literally arguing that the court just ruled that up is down for political reasons.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
What a lovely day.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

quote:

The Court
predicts that making tax credits unavailable in States that
do not set up their own Exchanges would cause disastrous
economic consequences there. If that is so, however,
wouldn’t one expect States to react by setting up their own
Exchanges?

lol Scalia. Sure, those states will gladly side with Obama for the good of their people. Just like they expanded Medicaid.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Phew, just heard. Bullet dodged, I gotta wait till I get home tonight to drink in the tears.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Shifty Pony posted:

They are quite easy to read. If you already have a handle on the case you can skip the introduction and go straight to the meat of the decision. If you are in areal hurry you can skim along and you can pick out citations you know to quickly figure out the logic applied and read more to see exactly how it is applied.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You read enough of them and you learn to filter out the fluff.
Okay, that explains it. ~specialized training~ makes sense, not sure why I didn't just assume that :downs:.

Drone posted:

The Obergefell release will be infinitely sweeter.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hey Nino, it is the opinion of this Court that you can go gently caress yourself. It is so ordered.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Republicans are really hating Bush right now

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The Obergefell release will be infinitely sweeter.

If the majority doesn't cite Scalia I will be extremely disappointed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ErIog posted:

Scalia's rage is in top form. He's literally arguing that the court just ruled that up is down for political reasons.

Meanwhile the majority of the court, having stumbled on a sign with a crudely drawn arrow which has a stray line that looks like it points down but is labeled "up" in a forest of other signs with arrows pointing up and labeled "up" rightfully concludes that the arrow painter is a twit but we know what he meant.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Okay, now we need Obergefell v. Hodges to be written by Ginsburg. Maximum victory.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Axel Serenity posted:

lol Scalia. Sure, those states will gladly side with Obama for the good of their people. Just like they expanded Medicaid.
Wasn't this basically part of Shelby v. Holder? As in, the Supreme Court just said "look, Congress, you can just update the preclearance formula, is that so hard :smugdog:?"

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Quick rundown of what's left:

Obergefell v. Hodges
Arizona State Legislature v. Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission
Michigan v. EPA
Johnson v. U.S.
Glossip v. Gross

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

The Larch posted:

Please please pleeeeeeeease. I've been loving how every state overturn are basically like "Scalia says the majority ruling means gay marriage for everybody, so here you go"..

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Drone posted:

From Scalia's dissent: "We should start calling this law SCOTUScare."

Let the butthurt flow like sweet wine, you bitter country club bigot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If Scalia is this upset about King, I can't even imagine what we're getting Monday. It may just be Scalia taking a steaming crap live on the bench. He's got to top himself somehow, right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Slate Action posted:

Okay, now we need Obergefell v. Hodges to be written by Ginsburg. Maximum victory.

Nah Kennedy should get that, leaving the lethal injection case for Ginsburg.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Slate Action posted:

There's no way a full-RBG opinion nets Kennedy. Let Kennedy draft the mealy-mouthed poo poo, I want an RBG concurrence.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The Larch posted:

Kennedy is not going to cite someone else's poo poo talking, however insightful, when he can quote himself for days.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FlamingLiberal posted:

If Scalia is this upset about King, I can't even imagine what we're getting Monday. It may just be Scalia taking a steaming crap live on the bench. He's got to top himself somehow, right?

He's written "I dissent" instead of "I respectfully dissent" in the past, maybe we're going to see him write "I angrily dissent, you motherfuckers" on Obergefell.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Wasn't this basically part of Shelby v. Holder? As in, the Supreme Court just said "look, Congress, you can just update the preclearance formula, is that so hard :smugdog:?"

Pretty much, I think. I was worried SCOTUS would do that with the ACA going "Look, we can only interpret what was written. If you want this fixed, just have Congress fix the typo real quick!"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hahaha Roberts cited the first aca dissent to show everyone knew about the subsidies

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

OK Scalia is right about one thing, though:

quote:

It is not our place to judge the quality of the care and
deliberation that went into this or any other law. A law
enacted by voice vote with no deliberation whatever is
fully as binding upon us as one enacted after years of
study, months of committee hearings, and weeks of debate.
Much less is it our place to make everything come
out right when Congress does not do its job properly. It is
up to Congress to design its laws with care, and it is up to
the people to hold them to account if they fail to carry out
that responsibility

"gently caress Congress"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It was also part of what Roberts and Kennedy expected to happen post Citizens United: Surely congress would pass laws mandating disclosure so that everything is above the table, right?

I saw an article speculating that the clusterfuck of that and the VRA has made Roberts and Kennedy less likely to count on Congress to fix poo poo.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

The Warszawa posted:

Quick rundown of what's left:

Obergefell v. Hodges
Arizona State Legislature v. Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission
Michigan v. EPA
Johnson v. U.S.
Glossip v. Gross
I am not really concerned about Obergefell, it should be what everyone expects: mandatory gay marriage for all.

I am not holding my breath on Arizona. I'm not sure how impactful it will be around the country (AIRC was established with a ballot initiative, and the legislature is suing because they are petulant children, so I'm not sure that it's really a blow against legislatively-established redistricting commissions), but it'll probably be a huge blow to Arizona's actually quite reasonable districts if they rule in favor of the legislature, and also remove a powerful tool for fighting gerrymandering. I mean, what legislature wants to establish a redistricting commission when it'll probably just their efforts to gerrymander everything to hell.

Glossip is obviously a huge deal and I hope this signals the end of the death penalty.

I know nothing about the other two.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 25, 2015

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

OK Scalia is right about one thing, though:

"gently caress Congress"

Yeah. He's still an ornery rear end in a top hat who wants to watch the world burn, but there's a certain satisfaction in watching the whole court being united in telling Congress to go gently caress itself and get its house in order.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

People are chanting but I can't figure out what they are chanting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Scalia's dissent is just plain salty.