Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

OT Law and Christian law are different. Although the Church did have Jubilees of a sort after the year 1300, every 25 or 50 years, although I'm not sure what their effect was on slavery.

Christians often end up defending the OT because critics often accuse the OT of being too harsh, even though Christians are not bound as strictly by the OT and have our own take on things.

There was a distinction drawn between good and bad slavery. It turns out that pretty much every classical philosopher supported slavery in one form or another.

Should also be noted that the slave trade does continue today in some countries.

But before the Civil War it seems the Pope asked for the end of the slave trade, and of cruel treatment of slaves, and criticized the avarice of those who took slaves, without rejecting the concept of slavery entirely. http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Greg16/g16sup.htm

With Vatican II the Church has decided that "slavery" as a word only really applies to negative forms anymore, when it used to be more neutral, and so due to this shift it can now be said that the Church is against slavery in general. Whatever "positive forms of slavery" might exist, they are better called something else.

Paul exhorts us to be slaves to Christ Jesus.

Then maybe you should get busy removing the OT if its not valid anymore :shrug: Just sayin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The Old Testament is kept on because Israel is read as a metaphor for the Church and to provide background to figures mentioned New Testament.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

OT Law and Christian law are different. Although the Church did have Jubilees of a sort after the year 1300, every 25 or 50 years, although I'm not sure what their effect was on slavery.

Christians often end up defending the OT because critics often accuse the OT of being too harsh, even though Christians are not bound as strictly by the OT and have our own take on things.

There was a distinction drawn between good and bad slavery. It turns out that pretty much every classical philosopher supported slavery in one form or another.

Should also be noted that the slave trade does continue today in some countries.

But before the Civil War it seems the Pope asked for the end of the slave trade, and of cruel treatment of slaves, and criticized the avarice of those who took slaves, without rejecting the concept of slavery entirely. http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Greg16/g16sup.htm

With Vatican II the Church has decided that "slavery" as a word only really applies to negative forms anymore, when it used to be more neutral, and so due to this shift it can now be said that the Church is against slavery in general. Whatever "positive forms of slavery" might exist, they are better called something else.

Paul exhorts us to be slaves to Christ Jesus.

Paul was a freak. Zealots never change their outlook, only their ideology.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

The Old Testament is kept on because Israel is read as a metaphor for the Church and to provide background to figures mentioned New Testament.

"Look at all the people god commanded killed, whoops, just ignore that. Its a metaphor" :smuggo:

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

CommieGIR posted:

Then maybe you should get busy removing the OT if its not valid anymore :shrug: Just sayin'

Are you saying we should eradicate all copies of it? It adds a lot of essential context to the New Testament. Which is called New. And the other is called Old. So hopefully Christians should recognize the order of supremacy.

"For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

"For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

This kinda flies in the face of claiming Jesus fulfilled the law of the Old Testament.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Are you saying we should eradicate all copies of it? It adds a lot of essential context to the New Testament. Which is called New. And the other is called Old. So hopefully Christians should recognize the order of supremacy.

What context? That God promises not to flood the Earth anymore, or commit baby genocides? THANKS GOD! Awesome metaphors and context clues!

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

CommieGIR posted:

This kinda flies in the face of claiming Jesus fulfilled the law of the Old Testament.

Literally the verse before that is, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

What context? That God promises not to flood the Earth anymore, or commit baby genocides? THANKS GOD! Awesome metaphors and context clues!

You can get an idea for example, of what the appearance of Moses and Elijah would have meant to the disciples.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CommieGIR posted:

To be fair, without the Old Testament we wouldn't have the verse where God cops to creating Evil in Isaiah 45:7.

I just don't understand why Christians go through so many mental loops to try and claim God isn't an rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: Oh wait, that isn't "traditional Christianity" either, probably.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 24, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

Nope.

"And thou shalt number seven sabbaths of years unto thee, seven times seven years; and the space of the seven sabbaths of years shall be unto thee forty and nine years. Then shalt thou cause the trumpet of the jubile to sound on the tenth day of the seventh month, in the day of atonement shall ye make the trumpet sound throughout all your land. And ye shall hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof: it shall be a jubile unto you; and ye shall return every man unto his possession, and ye shall return every man unto his family. A jubile shall that fiftieth year be unto you: ye shall not sow, neither reap that which groweth of itself in it, nor gather the grapes in it of thy vine undressed. For it is the jubile; it shall be holy unto you: ye shall eat the increase thereof out of the field. In the year of this jubile ye shall return every man unto his possession."

Nope, sorry, that's still only for Jewish slaves and not from non-Jews.

Bible Apologetics posted:

The laws for servants who were non-Hebrews were slightly different. For them there was no automatic release, either in the Jubilee year (Leviticus 25:44-46), or the seventh year of debt cancellation (Deuteronomy 15:3). These foreign indentured servants were outside the covenant community, and did not receive the benefit of debt cancellation. The Hebrews were permitted to pass them on as an inheritance to the next generation until their debts were repaid, which is the meaing of ‘olam’ in Leviticus 25:46 (translated ‘perpetually’). The text does not mean they were permanent possessions, but is an explanation as to why they do not go out at the seventh year of release or the Jubilee as the Hebrews do (the reason being that their debts are not cancelled).

Non-Jewish slaves were slaves until they died or escaped with no loopholes to get out of it.

EDIT

And I don't really care if the slaves were released, slavery is slavery no matter how you try and dress it up.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 24, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well I hosed this up, quoted the wrong post and then hit quote instead of edit. loving touchscreens suck. :(

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 24, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yeah, duh. I was threatened by a mod. Why do you think I replied to it here?

And as for the second part: No. The miracle cure implies they will be saved from death. The afterlife is something for the dying to hope for after death. Do you see the distinction?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lord have mercy indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRqsdRwnqJc

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
:rip:

Taken well past his time.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
He shouldn't have been banned and I hope he comes back.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

Of course you do :)

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
Hybrid children watch the sea Pray for Father, roaming free
Kyrie was way better at philosophy than the rest of you jokers. As soon as someone like him isn't around anymore the lot of you just go back to entropy, look at how boring the politics thread is now that the Latin teacher guy stopped posting.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Miltank posted:

Why do you hate Christians?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Reaganball Z posted:

Kyrie was way better at philosophy than the rest of you jokers.

Nope

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Reaganball Z posted:

Kyrie was way better at philosophy than the rest of you jokers. As soon as someone like him isn't around anymore the lot of you just go back to entropy, look at how boring the politics thread is now that the Latin teacher guy stopped posting.

Ah yes, the noted and respectable philosophy of "You are all going to hell but I'm not because I'm saved, sinners"

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I think by 'better' he means 'more interesting' where 'more interesting' != 'accurate', 'consistent', 'informed', etc...

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
Well he was good at creating thinking exercises. Like, I found his theory of Jesus trying to make a Platonic religion very fascinating and I've spent time pondering it since. I also liked that he would link to quality youtube channels every now and then.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Not really, he had a line of rhetoric he would deploy over and over again, but when pushed on it he'd abandon it. You could argue that's just a part of his 'gimmick', baiting people into making lengthy response or whatever, but that's still not a terribly good gimmick - especially since he's doing it in D&D, where the expectation is that you'll want to go into depth anyway.

It's why I had to keep making these really weird 'flanking' attacks (which failed a couple of times) to try and get something interesting out of him. Had I just taken him head-on he'd just do what he'd done all thread, dodge or just drop it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Reaganball Z posted:

Well he was good at creating thinking exercises. Like, I found his theory of Jesus trying to make a Platonic religion very fascinating and I've spent time pondering it since. I also liked that he would link to quality youtube channels every now and then.

Kyrie's alt spotted.

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
I'm not apologizing for anybody, it just defeats the purpose of reading D&D if it's going to be a Democratic Party circlejerk.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Reaganball Z posted:

I'm not apologizing for anybody, it just defeats the purpose of reading D&D if it's going to be a Democratic Party circlejerk.

Kyrie's posting actually has strongly discouraged a number of other Christians from posting here, as does the reddit atheism posting crew.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

Kyrie's posting actually has strongly discouraged a number of other Christians from posting here, as does the reddit atheism posting crew.

"Why persecutest thou me?" -internet Christians

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

Here's the thing: If you create a thread specifically focused around how all of the people in the thread that refuse to accept your premise are going to hell, expect to be called out.

Being a prideful dick might catch some scorn.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Here's the thing: If you create a thread specifically focused around how all of the people in the thread that refuse to accept your premise are going to hell, expect to be called out.

Being a prideful dick might catch some scorn.

And I have no problem with that.

But posts that go: 'I haven't seen God recently. Checkmate Christians :smugdog:'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In my defence I mostly do that because it's kyrie and he's annoying, there are some actually well formed Christian debators on the forums like the person running the ask/tell thread who I would generally avoid arguing with because, well, I figure they have enough difficulty being religious anyway and don't really want to add to that.

It's like you offer the vicar tea but I might tell virulent god bothering doorknockers to bugger off.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 25, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

But posts that go: 'I haven't seen God recently. Checkmate Christians :smugdog:'

Oh well, yeah.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
EDIT: Doublepost

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 25, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Won't someone please think of the Christians?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I get what you're saying - conflict as a driver of drama & tension etc, etc. I just don't think kyrie was, as a poster, invested in carrying out any kind of debate. He'd come here, drop a few comments, bait some responses then rinse & repeat. Give me Brandor anyday.

Disinterested posted:

Well I hope I haven't discouraged anyone, I don't really like the idea of alienating kind hearted people. Of course I've been really snarky at times, but you adjust that depending on who you're talking to, and kyrie's a good enough target to release on, if you're going to choose any.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You often hear the religious talk about God's Plan but that we simple mortals can't know what it is. Do they ever try to take a stab at it though? Are there any good theologians that have attempted a guess at what (the Judeo-Christian) God's plan is? That is something I would love to read.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You often hear the religious talk about God's Plan but that we simple mortals can't know what it is. Do they ever try to take a stab at it though? Are there any good theologians that have attempted a guess at what (the Judeo-Christian) God's plan is? That is something I would love to read.

The ones that have tend to turn into terrible people. Like noted child molester Finis Dake, after he spent an exhaustive amount of time putting together a reference bible that outlines just how big a dick God is if you take the scriptures at face value.

If you don't care about that, you can get some interesting stuff out of this at any rate: http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Plan-Man...an+for+man+dake

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

rudatron posted:

Well I hope I haven't discouraged anyone, I don't really like the idea of alienating kind hearted people. Of course I've been really snarky at times, but you adjust that depending on who you're talking to, and kyrie's a good enough target to release on, if you're going to choose any.

I'm not one of them, but I know when I have tried to convince some people to post in here they just go :catstare: and say they won't touch it with a barge pole.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Wade Wilson posted:

The ones that have tend to turn into terrible people. Like noted child molester Finis Dake, after he spent an exhaustive amount of time putting together a reference bible that outlines just how big a dick God is if you take the scriptures at face value.

If you don't care about that, you can get some interesting stuff out of this at any rate: http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Plan-Man...an+for+man+dake

Thanks for that quick reply. I'm not sure I want to give money to a noted child molester though. Would you be willing to paraphrase the book into "This guy thinks God's plan is ---"?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Thanks for that quick reply. I'm not sure I want to give money to a noted child molester though. Would you be willing to paraphrase the book into "This guy thinks God's plan is ---"?

God's Plan is "gently caress you, I do what I want and if you don't love me and worship everything I do unconditionally and mean it you'll burn for eternity in a burning lake of fire with maggots continuously eating your flesh, yet not consuming you."

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Wade Wilson posted:

God's Plan is "gently caress you, I do what I want and if you don't love me and worship everything I do unconditionally and mean it you'll burn for eternity in a burning lake of fire with maggots continuously eating your flesh, yet not consuming you."

Is that an accurate paraphrasing of what the book says? That God's plan is just to do whatever he wants with no real end game besides having a bunch of useless slaves? Would a Christian read it that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The majority of the book is "Show, not Tell", but yeah. It gives a bunch of instances of God doing whatever he wants throughout the Old and New Testaments, brutally punishing those that object and only rewarding those that do what he says without question.

And there are entire denominations of Christianity that read the Bible exactly that way. It's why that "Will You Be Eaten First" parody tract is so amazing.

The real kicker is the dissonance brought about by lines about God loving humanity while also constantly kicking the poo poo out of it. Unless you accept the idea that an abusive person actually loves the target of their abuse.

• Locked thread