Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

yall realize the water was not just standing there and was instead being replaced often/constantly due to those big rear end aqueducts right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yall realize the water was not just standing there and was instead being replaced often/constantly due to those big rear end aqueducts right?

Mary Beard makes a point in one of her documentary shows: they got more hot water in, but it wasn't piped out. So Roman baths were some grimy-rear end communal pools.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The water in the cold baths were replaced fairly often but the hot water wasn't.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I didn't find the correct sizes of the pools, but 1m³ water weights 1 ton. Maybe somebody else finds better sizes than the ones given in the wiki entry of the baths of Caracalla, but these look loving large. I pity the slaves who had to pump out the water or do that with buckets.

Enjoy your warm poopwater!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

well seems that i am wrong, though i have to wonder if there is a mechanism we are missing here, even as simple as tons of slaves somehow replacing the water.

i really don't see well to do romans soaking themselves in gross rear end water

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i really don't see well to do romans soaking themselves in gross rear end water
Well, they did. To quote the emperor Marcus Aurelius: "Such as bathing appears to thee,—oil, sweat, dirt, filthy water, all things disgusting,—so is every part of life and everything"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

wrong twice in one morning, im on a roll

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
A pool in a Pompeii bathhouse:

Indeed there doesn't seem to be any opening for draining the pool, which seems strange: with all their aqueducts and piping, did it never occur to anyone to install pipes to carry away dirty water?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Silent Linguist posted:

Ooh! I watched her recreation of the Vestal hairdo and it's pretty amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA9JYWh1r7U

(e: I have an ongoing nail polish collection based on Roman festivals if anyone here likes that sort of thing.)

This is great. Thanks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kopijeger posted:

A pool in a Pompeii bathhouse:

Indeed there doesn't seem to be any opening for draining the pool, which seems strange: with all their aqueducts and piping, did it never occur to anyone to install pipes to carry away dirty water?

Pfffft who needs pipes when you got slaves with buckets?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324900204578286272195339456

Another good example of ancient historians being super non-functioning introverts to the point that they couldn't bring themselves to ask a hairdresser whether certain hairstyles were possible using certain implements

Yeah, those ancient historians were so closed off and :spergin: that they published that paper in a major scholarly journal and universally praised the author for doing something really cool, what a bunch of pathetic sexless dorks :rolleyes:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yeah, those ancient historians were so closed off and :spergin: that they published that paper in a major scholarly journal and universally praised the author for doing something really cool, what a bunch of pathetic sexless dorks :rolleyes:

They also evidently have terrible senses of humour and a pilum so far up they assbutt it may as well be an overbite

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
After the fall of the western empire, what happened to the remaining Roman soldiers? Did they join up with the new kingdoms, or did any of them migrate to the eastern empire?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
By that point there were essentially no professional soldiers left in the sense that you're probably thinking of.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Wasn't there that Syagrius guy? Didn't he have a Roman army under him in Gaul after the western empire fell?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

goose fleet posted:

After the fall of the western empire, what happened to the remaining Roman soldiers? Did they join up with the new kingdoms, or did any of them migrate to the eastern empire?

As I understand, those soldiers were all some variety of barbarian.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

goose fleet posted:

Wasn't there that Syagrius guy? Didn't he have a Roman army under him in Gaul after the western empire fell?

We know practically nothing about the composition of Syagruis' forces, or even the extent of his authority and territory, but they were probably just hired warbands instead of anything resembling the legions.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

goose fleet posted:

His Roman army would have been Gauls from the area he governed, probably indistinguishable from the Frankish army that eventually conquered his rump state. It would not have been the classic legion that people imagine when they think of the Roman military.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Barbarian is a word you have to define pretty specifically before using it. The political situation in the 5th century is pretty fluid, and these guys had many Roman characteristics, alongside their non-Roman identities.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also it's not like it just ended overnight and everybody got fired like a Best Buy shutting down.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Grand Fromage posted:

Also it's not like it just ended overnight and everybody got fired like a Best Buy shutting down.

People literally think that a Rome with vast armies of stocky, Italian-looking, legionaries in lorica segmentata overseen by senators in togas ended one day and was immediately replaced by filthy, bearded, and mustachioed barbarians squatting in smoky ruins gnawing on roasted boar's legs. That is a thing people in this world believe, I poo poo you not.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

cheerfullydrab posted:

People literally think that a Rome with vast armies of stocky, Italian-looking, legionaries in lorica segmentata overseen by senators in togas ended one day and was immediately replaced by filthy, bearded, and mustachioed barbarians squatting in smoky ruins gnawing on roasted boar's legs. That is a thing people in this world believe, I poo poo you not.

except the legionaries look british

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

goose fleet posted:

There were a lot of European leaders who nominally were subservient to the Roman Emperor even though he didn't really provide them any support or interact with them at all. After 476 a lot of those leaders just kept on going like nothing had changed, because pretty much nothing had changed.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

There were a lot of European leaders who nominally were subservient to the Roman Emperor even though he didn't really provide them any support or interact with them at all. After 476 a lot of those leaders just kept on going like nothing had changed, because pretty much nothing had changed.

It was only the western part that went, the eastern part of the Empire was still around.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Not only that, but many of the leaders of the Western Roman Empire near the end were also barbarians. You know, the guys fighting to stop the hordes and forestall the inevitable fall of Empire? Yeah, mostly German. Guys like Aetius or Stilicho. It was a weird time.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here's how "barbarians" conquered the Western Empire. Many came to the Empire either because they were naturally seeking their fortune or because they had been invited in. They were given land in return for military service. Eventually they slowly became a big part of Roman life, serving in the armies of the state, administering the state, and everything else. Now, by this time, a huge amount of land had just sort of naturally came to be owned by the imperial government over the years as people's possessions were seized for nonpayment of taxes, various revolts, etc. etc. When local leaders, who were mostly "barbarians", took over the direct administration of provinces, still claiming to be part of the Empire, just sort of taking care of them for Rome for a little while, they usually took over this huge amount of land and settled more of their folk on it. There seriously was probably never an invasion of land in most places, as people assume a barbarian conquest entails. As in, a band of tribal warriors camps out in your field, you wake up, they say it's theirs now. It was all done nice and legal.

Or you can just put a big map of Western Europe on the wall and draw some lines on it coming over the Rhine and Danube and write "3rd-6th CENTURY" on the top. Either one.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The problem with this is that barbarian conquest sounds far more exciting than barbarian foreclosure.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hordes of screaming Germans poured over the border to register at the local real estate office and sign competitive leases on agricultural land that lacked sufficient labor to be worked efficiently.

"Forward, men!" screamed Athanaric, looking back over his exhausted compatriots, "If we aren't fast enough we will never get a good equity rate and may be forced to take hill plots with north facings!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Well barbarian raids are quite dramatic, with the looting and the burning and the carrying off of crying captives into the woods, and the battles and such, but the part where they find themselves places to build nice houses and obtain legal title to a piece of land and also put themselves at the top of an sophisticated, oppressive, agricultural society created by a centuries-long entanglement between the imperial administration and wealthy landowners is a little less so, yes.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grand Fromage posted:

Hordes of screaming Germans poured over the border to register at the local real estate office and sign competitive leases on agricultural land that lacked sufficient labor to be worked efficiently.

"Forward, men!" screamed Athanaric, looking back over his exhausted compatriots, "If we aren't fast enough we will never get a good equity rate and may be forced to take hill plots with north facings!"

lmbo

Actually now that you mention it, how did the Eastern Roman Empire resolve the problem of Land Reform? I know it's been talked about here time and time again, but was crisis that Gracchians tried to solve ever actually resolved conclusively at any point?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
To my knowledge nobody actually managed to do anything about it so they probably just kept growing and consolidating in fewer hands (particularly under the Emperor's control where you could proscribe and seize land from rich aristocrats in times of debt) until the Empire started to lose control of its provinces and then even its own lands in Italy. However - I'm 100% not an Empire guy so there's that caveat.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Waci posted:

The problem with this is that barbarian conquest sounds far more exciting than barbarian foreclosure.

germans leveraging financial instruments to bolster their political position in a pan-european construct?

hmmmm

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Friendly Tumour posted:

lmbo

Actually now that you mention it, how did the Eastern Roman Empire resolve the problem of Land Reform? I know it's been talked about here time and time again, but was crisis that Gracchians tried to solve ever actually resolved conclusively at any point?

Themes. Not that it was a perfect solution, because wealthy landowners hated the theme system, and tried to undermine it whenever they could, but it worked well enough. Basically peasants got a portion of land or "theme" in exchange for military service owed to the local strategos or military commander of the district, and the land grant was not transferable, so that it couldn't be scooped up by the local landowners, who were usually civilians.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

except the legionaries look british
yeah, italian/greek/spanish looking dudes are a little too "ethnic"

Grand Fromage posted:

i too was alive to see the fall of east germany

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 26, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

Britain was pretty hosed after the Romans left though. People left the major cities and even simple things like pottery went to poo poo. People actually reused funeral urns.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Friendly Tumour posted:

lmbo

The land problem of the Gracchi's time was resolved by wars of conquest.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Britain was pretty hosed after the Romans left though. People left the major cities and even simple things like pottery went to poo poo. People actually reused funeral urns.

Britain's situation was exceptionally bad. As in, it was mostly an exception. As I said, barbarian raids were very destructive. Roman Britain was raided for many years, not only from Germanic peoples but also from Ireland and the areas to its north. However, city abandonment was probably due to larger economic factors, not wholesale conquest by foreign tribes. DNA analysis has proved that when the Saxons settled down, they intermingled and coexisted peacefully with the existing population.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

cheerfullydrab posted:

DNA analysis has proved that when the Saxons settled down, they intermingled and coexisted peacefully with the existing population.

How can DNA evidence prove peaceful co-existence?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Disinterested posted:

How can DNA evidence prove peaceful co-existence?

I was going to ask that as well but just assumed he was going off other evidence as well, like a contemporaneous shift in archaeologically-identifiable cultures in the same communities (e.g. burial practice, cooking implements, iron refinement etc). I mean, the DNA doesn't change based on the manner of conception

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sullat posted:

Themes. Not that it was a perfect solution, because wealthy landowners hated the theme system, and tried to undermine it whenever they could, but it worked well enough. Basically peasants got a portion of land or "theme" in exchange for military service owed to the local strategos or military commander of the district, and the land grant was not transferable, so that it couldn't be scooped up by the local landowners, who were usually civilians.

Huh. One would assume such a system would degenerate into feudalism almost instantly. Isn't that what happened elsewhere in the West?