Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I've got the oxo pitter, it's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

What's a good kitchen scale that can double for pourover and has metric/imperial? Preferably a decently accurate resolution.

edit and not oxo because the display on that broke like immediately and 3/4 of the digits aren't visible even after multiple battery swaps/ cleanings, etc

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

neongrey posted:

I've got the oxo pitter, it's fantastic.

Me too. It's pretty much flawless.

Was just using it last night to make some ice cream... drat I love when cherries are in season.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pron on VHS posted:

How's this chefs knife?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UAPQGS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AOD2QELEBSZKO

and how's it compare to this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-Finish...ojiro+dp+gyutou

They are from the same company, same size, one just looks a lot cooler...

The second is white steel which is a carbon steel and has to be cared for to prevent rusting. It's also clad in iron which will also rust and will almost certainly be the place you see rust problems show up first. The iron and steel in the 2nd knife also can discolor certain vegetables due to the reactivity of those metals. The white steel can get sharper but it will almost certainly need sharpening out of the box. White steel goes dull fairly quickly unless it is heat treated to extremely high hardnesses like 64-65 HRC which this knife is not. The white steel Tojiros are a great value for someone who knows how to treat them and who can sharpen them regularly but I would not recommend them to someone new to high end cutlery.

The DP line is great for a newbie though, they come fairly sharp out of the box, are fully stainless and the core steel (VG-10) is fairly hard wearing and will not need to be sharpened for a while. I do recommend getting the 24cm gyuto over the 21cm one, the 21cm knives always feel like over sized petty knives to me whereas the 24cm ones feel like a proper chef's knife. I'd also steer clear of amazon for buying them because some of the sellers have serious quality control issues and will send you a knife without checking if it's got any factory defects which are unfortunately common with the cheaper Tojiros. I'd spend a little extra and buy from someplace like Chef Knives To Go, they are fairly good on QC and will take returns without problems if they do send you a defective one.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Whoever recommended the Shapton glass stones for the edge faux thanks! I did my workhorse knives today and got a mirror like finish on the secondary bevels with the 1K/4K shaptons. Between that and the collar / spring enhancements this thing is so much easier than when I was free handing it. Going to get a 320 and 500 just for completeness' sake.

Questions:
I just ended up doing everything to 18 degree edge (slicer, chefs, paring, and cleaver). I guess it's too late now but does that seem reasonable? They were all cutting pretty well and the German ones may have re profiled slightly but my cleaver (carbon) seemed to take it just fine.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hed posted:

Whoever recommended the Shapton glass stones for the edge faux thanks! I did my workhorse knives today and got a mirror like finish on the secondary bevels with the 1K/4K shaptons. Between that and the collar / spring enhancements this thing is so much easier than when I was free handing it. Going to get a 320 and 500 just for completeness' sake.

Questions:
I just ended up doing everything to 18 degree edge (slicer, chefs, paring, and cleaver). I guess it's too late now but does that seem reasonable? They were all cutting pretty well and the German ones may have re profiled slightly but my cleaver (carbon) seemed to take it just fine.

What angle is a good choice depends on a number of factors, those being: steel hardness, durability/sharpness and usage. The steeper the angle the sharper the edge, but as a trade off you lose some durability and will need to sharpen slightly more often. Harder steel will take and hold a steeper edge, if you have german steel knives then 22-18 degrees is a good range, for harder japanese steels anywhere from as low as 12 degrees to 16 degrees should work pretty well. I favor a 14-15 degree edge for general use. Usage is the last factor, vegetables are the easiest on an edge and you can take knives that will only be used on vegetables to a fairly high level of sharpness without losing a great deal of durability. Meats wear down an edge more quickly, so a more durable edge like a 16 degree one will give your knife more life between sharpenings, especially for cutting meats with a lot of connective tissue.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Hauki posted:

What's a good kitchen scale that can double for pourover and has metric/imperial? Preferably a decently accurate resolution.

edit and not oxo because the display on that broke like immediately and 3/4 of the digits aren't visible even after multiple battery swaps/ cleanings, etc

I got a Salter and have been happy with it. It sometimes decides to switch between grams and oz when I turn it on, but it's not a big deal.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I got the Victorinox Fibrox boning knife for father's day. It's still cheap unlike the chef's knife. It was also recommended by y'all and ATK so here's hoping. Even if it sucks, it's only $20.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

I got the Victorinox Fibrox boning knife for father's day. It's still cheap unlike the chef's knife. It was also recommended by y'all and ATK so here's hoping. Even if it sucks, it's only $20.

do you have a flexible boner, or a stiff boner? I opted for the flex boner, because I like to shove my boner into fish. a flexible boner has treated me well in that regard, but I often wonder - particularly when groping a hen, if a stiff boner wouldn't be the way to go...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I have a stiff boner for fat, but I find with a chook you don't need to fight so much so you're OK with a flexi.

(Usually use the stiff one for trimming red meat. EG removing silverskin, gristle, fat. Use the flexi for fish and chicken)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I much prefer a single bevel honkatsu for poultry to a traditional boner. This is coming from someone who breaks down 200ish pounds of chicken every 2 weeks. Those things are really only useful on whole animals where you actually need to get around bones, in my experience.

e: and for fish, I use my gyuto. Debas are also popular, and the heft certainly helps with moving through pin bones.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 22, 2015

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

do you have a flexible boner, or a stiff boner? I opted for the flex boner, because I like to shove my boner into fish. a flexible boner has treated me well in that regard, but I often wonder - particularly when groping a hen, if a stiff boner wouldn't be the way to go...

It's the flexible one. I tried it out and its great. I just wonder how long it keeps its edge is all. It looks like stamped steel.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Croatoan posted:

It's the flexible one. I tried it out and its great. I just wonder how long it keeps its edge is all. It looks like stamped steel.

I've had it for a while and even though I don't use it often, it's stayed sharp with regular honing.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Just in case anyone tried googling this, they're hankotsu, CdC flipped the a and o.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

I don't use mine very often, but it's really easy to sharpen up. edge doesn't keep amazingly, but I don't think you'd want stiff steel in a boning knife. plus, it was cheap - what like $25 or 30?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Uh, yeah. Hankotsu. I've got a lefty Kanehide, only 80bux or so. Edge was great OOB, would recommend.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Uh, yeah. Hankotsu.

filthy gaijin

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

The Midniter posted:

filthy gaijin

I worked with a guy from HK for a bit, made a szechuan stir fry thing, he said "Wow guilao, maybe you move to China one day."

I still don't understand that old man to this day, I would never move to China. Japan is so much more kawaii desu ne.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Thermoworks is having a sale on the Thermapen, and in 12 colors this time.

http://www.thermoworks.com/specials/atk-deal-of-the-day.php?tw=ATK

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

antisodachrist posted:

Thermoworks is having a sale on the Thermapen, and in 12 colors this time.

http://www.thermoworks.com/specials/atk-deal-of-the-day.php?tw=ATK

Why the hell didn't I get British Racing Green while it was still in stock?

The hell is wrong with me?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Because you were sober

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
While we're on the subject, just for those of you who don't want to drop $80 on a thermometer this is a super great buy and you should at LEAST get this.
http://thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

I mean we're talking about a matter of 2 seconds. (That being said, I loving love my thermapen)

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Because you were sober

Damnable sobriety! You've done it to me again!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Trip report on that knife. Don't you love that "thunk" feeling when a blade is stopped only by bone? gently caress there's a lot of vein in your fingers. Gotta get used to the new grip, gently caress.

Edit. I just realized the irony of the boning knife cutting down to my bone.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 25, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

Trip report on that knife. Don't you love that "thunk" feeling when a blade is stopped only by bone? gently caress there's a lot of vein in your fingers. Gotta get used to the new grip, gently caress.

Edit. I just realized the irony of the boning knife cutting down to my bone.

keepem fingers tucked friend

I had to read this a few times before I realized you were talking about your own finger. I was like "what? just cut through the joint of the bone, why would your knife be stopping??"

ow

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Oh great my giggling at all the frivolous talk about boners has been replaced by my brain trying to imagine what it would sound like to hit the bone in your own finger and me cringing at the thought.

Whenever someone cuts his finger there is a saying in Germany: "Schöne Grüße aus Solingen", which translates to "Greetings from Solingen". Solingen is the town that the "Zwilling" (I guess they call them "Twin" in English) and other traditional brand knives are produced.

I guess this applies here.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hopper posted:

Oh great my giggling at all the frivolous talk about boners has been replaced by my brain trying to imagine what it would sound like to hit the bone in your own finger and me cringing at the thought.

Whenever someone cuts his finger there is a saying in Germany: "Schöne Grüße aus Solingen", which translates to "Greetings from Solingen". Solingen is the town that the "Zwilling" (I guess they call them "Twin" in English) and other traditional brand knives are produced.

I guess this applies here.

lol, I've been to solingen, for a philip glass concert by the local symphony/opera or something. I had owned some wüsthof knives, but had no idea where they came from, until I was walking around the inner city and did a holy poo poo 0_0 at the knife shops

pleasant town. pretty hilarious saying, I hadn't heard that before. gonna use it next time someone cuts themselves. ^_^

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Maybe that saying is a regional thing. My parents are from Solingen and my late grandad was a parade-weapon smith there who made awesome decoartive damast swords and stuff.
Sadly a money deprived uncle grabbed a very nice piece that used to be a wall decoration and sold it off after grandad died.
But I still have a model version of it that my granddad created as a letter opener. My grandma gave it to me because she knew how I loved the real sword when I was kid.

End of story, sorry for the derail.

Edit: for a bit of content: my great uncle used to work as a Scherenschleifer (scissor sharpener) in a company that makes knives and tailor scissors.
He always told me this: do not buy expensive knives when you just want a small all purpose fruit knife (no idea what those are really called). Get one of those cheap ones from Aldi or other non-branded ones. They go dull anyway and buying a new one is cheaper than sharpening it. Factor in material loss and it makes no sense to pay for expensive ones.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 25, 2015

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Hopper posted:

a small all purpose fruit knife (no idea what those are really called).

You got it. Either a fruit knife or a paring knife.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Any recommendations on salt/pepper grinders? I think I remember the Peugeot electric ones being suggested, but $90? Pass.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

a worthy uhh posted:

Any recommendations on salt/pepper grinders? I think I remember the Peugeot electric ones being suggested, but $90? Pass.

It's expensive but so worth it. http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFB4N

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Absolutely 100% seconded.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

a worthy uhh posted:

I have the non-electric Peugeot mill and it's very nice. Looks great, too.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

The Midniter posted:

Absolutely 100% seconded.

Yup. I have a Peugeot. The finish is (human body part reference) soft. The pepper is amazing.

Set it to finest grind over some eggs? Yes.

I don't like the fill mechanism on the Magnums.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

revdrkevind posted:

Yup. I have a Peugeot. The finish is (human body part reference) soft. The pepper is amazing.

Set it to finest grind over some eggs? Yes.

I don't like the fill mechanism on the Magnums.

Pssst...if you'll notice, the post I was seconding links to the Magnum :)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Looks like there's a new king and we're all wrong. http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1390-pepper-mills

I will point out however that your Peugeot wasn't listed. Other models were though.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Croatoan posted:

Looks like there's a new king and we're all wrong. http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1390-pepper-mills

I will point out however that your Peugeot wasn't listed. Other models were though.

I bought that Cole & Mason mill based on the CI recommendation and I like it. It's easy to fill, there are a bunch of settings for grind size and it's quite consistent.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

ChetReckless posted:

I bought that Cole & Mason mill based on the CI recommendation and I like it. It's easy to fill, there are a bunch of settings for grind size and it's quite consistent.

How long have you had it? Some of the top reviews on Amazon are complaining about it breaking in a few months.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

.Z. posted:

How long have you had it? Some of the top reviews on Amazon are complaining about it breaking in a few months.

I bought it in January, so 6 months more or less. No problems so far with daily use, for what its worth. I don't change the grind setting very often, so if that's a point of failure it's not one I'm likely to be prone to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I worked with a guy from HK for a bit, made a szechuan stir fry thing, he said "Wow guilao, maybe you move to China one day."

"gweilo"

• Locked thread