Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
http://www.americanfirehose.com/fire-hoses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Like this?

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/HWN4.00BK50/HWN4.00BK50-ND/2524412

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
http://www.techflex.com/prod_pet.asp https://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=ptn
http://www.techflex.com/prod_hwn.asp https://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=hw
etc

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I was going to suggest techflex but I didn't think it came in 4" diameter. Whaddyaknow.

I would say however that for runs over 10' you really want the kind that has a slit horizontally down it. Pushing techflex over a bundle of cables 150' long (you push it in the same way you push a chinese finger trap, bunching it up so it expands just past where you're pushing it, which means you have to keep repeating that process every couple inches down the length of the cable) would make me strangle the person who requested this with the techflex.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Slanderer posted:

Ohhhh poo poo I thought you meant a reasonable diameter cut to 4" lengths. Yeah, 4" diameter is huge

Yeah, 4" is on the larger side of what I'd want, I'm going back and forth between 3" and 4".

We've got three cameras with about 50' of various cables going to each. The bundle contains about 6 or 7 different cords connecting the various camera controls to a controller unit in studio control. The black cable is a power cable for the prompter monitors, and the white one is one we added yesterday for tally lights on each camera. I want a new sleeve to contain the power and tally controller cords in addition to all the others, with some room to accommodate anything new we add in the future.

Ooh, thanks for this. This looks very promising.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

larchesdanrew posted:

I want a new sleeve to contain the power and tally controller cords in addition to all the others, with some room to accommodate anything new we add in the future.

You should probably take a look at the wrap like Potato Alley mentioned. It'll be a helluva lot easier to add to down the road.

http://www.techflex.com/prod_dwn.asp

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

quote:

That's too expensive. You know what would work? Find someone who sells bulk vacuum cleaner hoses that are 50' long.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

gently caress this poo poo, I'm out.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

larchesdanrew posted:

quote:

That's too expensive. You know what would work? Find someone who sells bulk vacuum cleaner hoses that are 50' long.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

gently caress this poo poo, I'm out.

Ahahahaha, gently caress no it's not.
25ft of 4" hose: $289
25ft of 4" techflex wrap: $253

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
We're not looking for new hose, go hit up the junkyard.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

We're not looking for new hose, go hit up the junkyard.

No room in the budget for that. Time for a mandatory "Vacuum Cleaners for Charity" drive. The employee who brings in the one with the longest hose gets a small T-shirt with the logo of some company we bought out five years ago on it! :toot:

Edit: Don't worry, we'll just remove the hoses and give the rest of the vacuum cleaner bits to the homeless guy who camps out by the dumpsters out back, so it's totally for a good cause.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anyone else have a windows update go out that has broken Copy/Paste in basically every type of MS application? about 100 updates were deployed by our SCCM server last night for gently caress knows what reason and I dont have time to guinea pig the uninstallation of all of them to find it. Google shows nothing.

Kyyrewyyoae
Jul 20, 2007

Vae debilibus!

Laserface posted:

Anyone else have a windows update go out that has broken Copy/Paste in basically every type of MS application? about 100 updates were deployed by our SCCM server last night for gently caress knows what reason and I dont have time to guinea pig the uninstallation of all of them to find it. Google shows nothing.

Check this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/39g3nj/psa_kb3057839_breaks_copypaste/

I've heard of it happening when spector products are installed, but we don't use them so I haven't seen it first hand.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thanks, we run 360 on (some) machines so this is likely it.

Sysadmin is away for two weeks. good times.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

Yeah, 4" is on the larger side of what I'd want, I'm going back and forth between 3" and 4".

We've got three cameras with about 50' of various cables going to each. The bundle contains about 6 or 7 different cords connecting the various camera controls to a controller unit in studio control. The black cable is a power cable for the prompter monitors, and the white one is one we added yesterday for tally lights on each camera. I want a new sleeve to contain the power and tally controller cords in addition to all the others, with some room to accommodate anything new we add in the future.

Use the weave-sock.. orwhateverthey'recalled. They're a bit of a pain to get on, but once that's done they slide nicely over floors, and are easily pushed out of the way if your camera dollies have shrouded wheels.

Edit: I zoomed in on your image and saw that you already use that. Never mind me.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
A ticket came in.

The dentists ordered a new system, and wants it fully implemented by Aug. 1st.
They don't have a copy of the software.
They want two UTP drops at each location, but don't know why or which VLAN they want.
I'm leaving for my annual three-weel summer vacaion on friday.
Cream of the cake is the fact that all my questions have been answered with "Our boss is out of the office. She'll get back to you when she comes in again".

I'm not holding my breath. Friday is coming *tick**tock**tick**tock*

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

So in my workplace one thing we haven't bothered with is asset management to any degree

I'm just gonna buy a kit and label the poo poo out of everything at a weekend. I've used lovely peelable stickers in the past

Can anyone recommend the software end (I'll Excel it if need be but there must be a better solution)?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ZoDiAC_ posted:

So in my workplace one thing we haven't bothered with is asset management to any degree

I'm just gonna buy a kit and label the poo poo out of everything at a weekend. I've used lovely peelable stickers in the past

Can anyone recommend the software end (I'll Excel it if need be but there must be a better solution)?

The standards you hear will be:
FileMakerPro - Quick easy, fairly cheap
Spiceworks Inventory - Basically just a snmp sweep that reports back everything it finds on the network
PDQ Inventory - Don't know much about this one
Solar Winds - Have heard good things, will cost a poo poo ton, reps will call to bug you every single day

Personally I've used Spiceworks and it's ok. Filemaker works well if you already know what is out there and just want to create records for them.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

If you have any sort of budget and a lot of stuff to manage, you might look at Dell's K1000 system.

An E-mail came in this morning from a branch manager. It made my day.
"DB is no longer an Employee, please disable remote access and forward his E-mail to me."
DB is was a pain in my (and by extension all of IT's) rear end. He just can't wait to go into settings and gently caress with everything. He insists on using a Mac which we told him we do not support, yet he calls for support on it anyway.
He will remove his E-mail account from his phone sometimes several times a week. Basically if he goes anywhere with no data coverage he'll assume it is his account settings and muck about.
Removing the account wouldn't be so bad if he remembered the settings! But he never did. He was a friendly sort of guy but he would often do random things you didn't tell him to do when he called for help. He's the one user who continually bitched about my "No zip files" E-mail attachment policy.

Ouroborus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 24, 2015

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ouroborus posted:

If you have any sort of budget and a lot of stuff to manage, you might look at Dell's K1000 system.

lol, do not do this

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Ouroborus posted:

Or you know, a real management system other than kace. SCCM, chef, etc.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I was going to temper my sarcastic response with a "well, it has actually been pretty good since the update to version 6" but that's only because it's slightly better than the absolute poo poo it was when we first got it. Their support has actually managed to get worse, I've had a top severity ticket open with them since May 29 (patches are not being installed, kind of the entire loving point of the thing) and have had to hound them constantly to get any sort of response or follow up.

Do never buy KACE.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

ZoDiAC_ posted:

You could go semi-ITIL and go with something like combodo's itop.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I presume I have a budget, I use presume as money is allocated based on how well your need comes across. Finance fortunately see worth in asset tracking. It isn't even my need, it predates me.

I've got spice works and it's good but seems designed for one super admin. Reminds me of Lansweeper. Which I'd love.

I ideally want something accessible and understandable by multiple admins. I want to build something then not own it exclusively. It aint my baby. But I can make it my baby I guess. Previous attempts at asset management equate to a rolodex

I also suspect whatever I come up with will be hijacked for none IT assets and I'd draw the line there. Another reason I don't like spice works, it seems too IT for me to palm off.

At least an Excel sheet doesn't automatically scream IT. (sometimes!)

I dunno. It's weird. I get asked as a computerised version would be good. The directives end there. I have freedom so may as well do it right, and good.

That way if I'm stuck with it, so what? It's mine anyway!

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 24, 2015

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A ticket didn't come in, just an email asking for assistance.

And then another email today "checking to see if got that email", as if to hold me accountable.

No, I'm helping users that actually went through and respected the process....

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Anyone having issues with slow or failed delivery to some Office365-hosted addresses? We've got a client or two complaining and are trying to figure out what's going on and if it's on our side or theirs.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

A ticket didn't come in, just an email asking for assistance.

And then another email today "checking to see if got that email", as if to hold me accountable.
"Yeah I got it the other day." ... "No, of course I haven't done anything with it, I just deleted it. Why?" ... "Well we don't respond to email inquiries and she knows this. I thought that maybe some process auditors were testing me, so I made sure to simply ignore it."

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

ZoDiAC_ posted:

At least an Excel sheet doesn't automatically scream IT. (sometimes!)

Eh, that's what I started with. Contact a label printing company and draft up some plastic stickers with number codes on them, stick to anything of value, write down what it is and who has it.

Later on I upgraded it by building a Salesforce custom object so I could at least link things to people and also make easy reports, Spiceworks is an added bonus especially when all of the office machines are nearly all properly labelled and named.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

a ticket came in:

I got no sleep last night because someone kept calling me every 5 minutes and just making a beep noise. the number was forwarding from our office number to my mobile. here is the call log:

*posts every 5 minute interval between 2 and 7am*

Resolution: Wont fix. Turn your phone off after the first 3 maybe?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That's hosed up. Was it someone making a beep with their mouth, or some kind of automated system?

As a new first time parent I'm sympathetic to losing a ton of sleep. At least with our baby I can sort of troubleshoot what's going on, since the scope of things he cares about is pretty small right now.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The Muffinlord posted:

As a new first time parent I'm sympathetic to losing a ton of sleep. At least with our baby I can sort of troubleshoot what's going on, since the scope of things he cares about is pretty small right now.

I feel your pain. My first just turned one, and I've got my second coming on July 15th.

Those first three months were a blur, but I remember it being a very dismal and sleep-deprived blur.

I'm definitely not looking forward to that part again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Muffinlord posted:

That's hosed up. Was it someone making a beep with their mouth, or some kind of automated system?

it was a fax machine.

This is the same guy whos landline gets cut off every three months (we acquired his business last year) because he is the sole contact for the phone account, which he has still not updated the billing address to head office, so his bills go unpaid.

I check this every 3 months, remind him that the bill is going to his home address, and that we are not authorised on the account to change this information and he has to do it.

I dont know how people like him manage to get their business to a point where a company like us buys them.

Another similar company we bought was a 2 person operation who daily call us with issues pertaining to 'I have to turn my computer on every day after shutting it down the night before' and 'my phone doesnt ring when its off the hook'

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I'm talking to a user about some problems she's having with a video conference unit and with a TV in another part of the building. She's rambling on about how they don't use them often, but this summer blah blah blah. She finally gets to the point that their video conf system isn't working, and they can't connect to this TV. Then mentions this started in April, but she is just calling in now. The real kicker is I was up in the area visiting family a few days ago, and I could have stopped by and fixed it if they'd called in sooner. Also I would have had my fuel paid.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Storysmith posted:

Anyone having issues with slow or failed delivery to some Office365-hosted addresses? We've got a client or two complaining and are trying to figure out what's going on and if it's on our side or theirs.

We are on Office 365 and I've had reports from 2 users who I trust, that they are not receiving email from people who have sent them and then spoken to them about it - some were in junk but then after doing all the standard things, exceptions, all ways allow the domain etc some just don't get to us. These are coming from .edu and .ac.uk addresses. Are your sent emails from this type of address .edu / .ac.uk and are you sending from office 365?

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

seadweller posted:

We are on Office 365 and I've had reports from 2 users who I trust, that they are not receiving email from people who have sent them and then spoken to them about it - some were in junk but then after doing all the standard things, exceptions, all ways allow the domain etc some just don't get to us. These are coming from .edu and .ac.uk addresses. Are your sent emails from this type of address .edu / .ac.uk and are you sending from office 365?

We're running our own self-hosted Exchange. What do your MX records look like? My coworker did some digging and it looks like the "protection.outlook.com" record is taking too long and timing out on us, but Exchange doesn't try the other servers in the MX.

Are the people sending email to you getting 400s in their DSNs?

Weirdly, our production application (which uses postfix) can send to the same people on the same domain, it's just hosted exchange -> certain domains running O365.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Storysmith posted:

We're running our own self-hosted Exchange. What do your MX records look like? My coworker did some digging and it looks like the "protection.outlook.com" record is taking too long and timing out on us, but Exchange doesn't try the other servers in the MX.

Are the people sending email to you getting 400s in their DSNs?

Weirdly, our production application (which uses postfix) can send to the same people on the same domain, it's just hosted exchange -> certain domains running O365.

Sorry I don't have access to the mail servers its all run by microsoft, its being looked at by the mail team. If I hear anything I'll let you know.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Laserface posted:

it was a fax machine.

This is the same guy whos landline gets cut off every three months (we acquired his business last year) because he is the sole contact for the phone account, which he has still not updated the billing address to head office, so his bills go unpaid.

I check this every 3 months, remind him that the bill is going to his home address, and that we are not authorised on the account to change this information and he has to do it.

I dont know how people like him manage to get their business to a point where a company like us buys them.

What's the reasoning behind not cutting this chucklehead loose? I mean, if you own his company, surely you could put someone more capable in his place. Or at least take away his fax machine in the merger.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

seadweller posted:

Sorry I don't have access to the mail servers its all run by microsoft, its being looked at by the mail team. If I hear anything I'll let you know.

The MX records are set by whoever runs your DNS. (`dig yourhostname.com MX` on a unix-like machine will get you what's in them currently.) But yes, our workaround for this is kinda horrendous, so if you have more information or an update from Microsoft themselves, it'd be super helpful to my coworkers.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

A request came in from my supervisor.

Supervisor posted:

We need to clean out the basement a little

:circlefap:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

larchesdanrew posted:

A request came in from my supervisor.

:circlefap:

Order up a 40 foot construction dumpster.

Actually you might need two. Or three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Gwaihir posted:

Order up a 40 foot construction dumpster.

Actually you might need two. Or three.

Too complicated. Gasoline and matches

Watch it all burn :boom:

• Locked thread