Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I wish I could look into the Oval Office right now

Apparently the clock broke. :spooky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Obama gives a reasoned speech expressing his gratitude to the court while Blue Angels slowly spell out "CMON, SON" in skywriting above him.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Clock looks like Scalia.

Blatzmobile
Nov 1, 2012

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Fried Chicken posted:

No wait, new-er thread title found: "Words no longer have meaning" - Scalia in his dissent

He should have quoted Stairway to Heaven.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:feelsgood:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fried Chicken posted:

And award for best decision response goes to Charles GABA of acasignups.net

Yeah I gotta agree there. This is great and all but end of the day it's dodging self-inflicted gunshot wound. The Republicans aimed at the national foot and missed. They still haven't figured out that self-mutilation is a bad idea.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Oh my god the tears. They are sustaining. Honestly it's been a poo poo year or two with all the police violence/unarmed black kids being straight up murdered with impunity. I mean this doesn't even come close to "making up" for any of that, but drat it feels good to get some good news.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

This headline doesn't make sense, its not like a new judge was nominated to the court. Also does drudge still carry any cultural cache in this age of CSS?

Optimus Subprime fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 25, 2015

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I've always had high hopes that Roberts would turn out to be a great Chief Justice. It's nice to see a bit more movement in that direction.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
If the marriage ruling is tomorrow then this is going to be one hell of a good weekend.

Our local bar is throwing a marriage celebration and it has turned into an official city event with over 1k pledged to attend. Can't wait for a big, gay party of love and happiness.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Obama walks up to the podium, looks around the room in silence, staring at reporters. From his inner suit pocket he produces a pair of Raybans, and slowly lowers them from his ears to his eyes. Upon their settling on his nose, he smirks and says but three words.

"Deal with it." :dealwithit:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I gotta agree there. This is great and all but end of the day it's dodging self-inflicted gunshot wound. The Republicans aimed at the national foot and missed. They still haven't figured out that self-mutilation is a bad idea.

So what you're saying is it's the best possible outcome. People get to keep their health insurance, and Republicans learn absolutely nothing from the experience.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Obama speaking now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BPy3zwSukw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Any link to Obama's statement?

Optimus Subprime posted:

Also does drudge still carry any cultural cache in this age of CSS?

The sort of demographic Drudge markets to wouldn't know CSS if it bit them on the rear end.

EDIT: Apple is removing App Store games that show the Confederate flag, which are mostly American Civil War games.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 25, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Luminous Obscurity posted:

*cue Obama laughing in front of a podium for thirty minutes*

What the GOP will see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgflCE7zRpc

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Optimus Subprime posted:

This headline doesn't make sense, its not like a new judge was nominated to the court. Also does drudge still carry any cultural cache in this age of CSS?

Speaking as someone who does web analytics for a bunch of sites, some of which are politics & policy focused:

Drudge is still an absolute monster, and if it weren't for the fact he's reprehensible, it'd be really impressive. It's a tribute to "site design doesn't loving matter"

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
To show how negative my outlook on American politics is today, I had to re-read the title of NBC News's article 3 times before realizing it said "Supreme Court Upholds Nationwide Obamacare Subsidies" before I realized that, hey, they're doing a good thing here.

Today is a good day.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So republicans everywhere are secretly wiping the sweat from their brows as they realise they don't need to come up with a subsidy replacement right?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to think what could anger Republicans more than a positive PPACA ruling...

-Gay marriage for everyone (coming tomorrow!!!!)

-Guns being banned (coming eventually)

-Tax brackets being reformed so that the 1% pays more (hopefully coming eventually)

-Churches losing their nonprofit status (hopefully coming eventually)

-Inner city youths allowed to attend suburban schools (would cause a Civil War)

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

FairGame posted:

Speaking as someone who does web analytics for a bunch of sites, some of which are politics & policy focused:

Drudge is still an absolute monster, and if it weren't for the fact he's reprehensible, it'd be really impressive. It's a tribute to "site design doesn't loving matter"

It's crazy to me since his site is just a curated news aggregator with punchline commentary as the hot links.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

EugeneJ posted:

-Inner city youths allowed to attend suburban schools (would cause a Civil War)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/METCO

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

pathetic little tramp posted:

So republicans everywhere are secretly wiping the sweat from their brows as they realise they don't need to come up with a subsidy replacement right?

I actually think its a political win for them. They get to keep railing against Obamacare and SCOTUS and the government and don't have to actually do anything. It would have been a serious hassle if things had gone their way. But complaining about the corruption of the liberals and White House and government is their favorite place to be.

Fox News is currently ranting that this has ended democracy. This is a great day for them.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

On demand abortions?!?!?!!?!!!??!? So I can turn on the TV and watch abortions live, on demand?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fried Chicken posted:

No wait, new-er thread title found: "Words no longer have meaning" - Scalia in his dissent

Wanna see a judge quote this in their ruling and then generate the rest of it through a Markov script immediately after.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ugh, count on Apple to do the stupidest possible thing to "contribute". I thought the point was to remove items that venerated the the confederacy, not ones that mentioned it...

Still, seems like a good day overall. Whoo.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

GlyphGryph posted:

Ugh, count on Apple to do the stupidest possible thing to "contribute". I thought the point was to remove items that venerated the the confederacy, not ones that mentioned it...

Still, seems like a good day overall. Whoo.

Whatever it takes to ban the Gods & Generals movie

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
as someone who is seriously and genuinely benefited by the aca, thank loving jesus christ, i would have lost my healthcare.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

pathetic little tramp posted:

They're going to renew their BWAH GAHD JOB KILLING OBUMMERCARE commentary. Their plan was to cripple ACA then extend ACA and claim victory. Now they'll screech about how terrible it is and how hard people have to vote for them to repeal it to claim victory over filthy liberals. No brows will be wiped and no lessons learned. Whether that last is through koolaid drinking ignorance or malice will change from one empty suit to the next.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GlyphGryph posted:

It's the same logic as WW2 games with Nazi flags. Just find a different flag (and there are ones that exist) and you'll be fine.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Scalia is such a loving useless prima donna.

He's that type of rear end in a top hat who is always right in their own heads, and will condemn others emotional responses ("it's a kulturekampf not a fit of spite") but levels his at the drop of a hat ("words mean nothing." up is down! left is right!).

He's also a terrible and schizophrenic jurist if you critically look at his reasoning & logic.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Fried Chicken posted:

Man, the response from "conservative intellectuals" on this seems to either be going quiet, "well we weren't laughed out of court like liberals said we would" or some variation in Obama is a dictator because this interpretation of the law is wrong.

I haven't even delved into the fever swamps yet, that has to be so much more entertaining

Huckabee has already pulled the 'tiranny' card several times on Twitter. The rest of the usual suspects seem to be going with "it says 'State Exchanges', can't those unelected elitists in black robes read?!?!?!?!?!?", or some variation thereof.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

as someone who is seriously and genuinely benefited by the aca, thank loving jesus christ, i would have lost my healthcare.

Same

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

TheDisreputableDog posted:

He is practicing his smugface from now until then

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I am withholding my normal accelerationist sentiment in realization that any other decision by SCOTUS would have meant the mortal suffering of literal millions of people.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

richardfun posted:

Huckabee has already pulled the 'tiranny' card several times on Twitter. The rest of the usual suspects seem to be going with "it says 'State Exchanges', can't those unelected elitists in black robes read?!?!?!?!?!?", or some variation thereof.

I'm not willing to stretch the already taut definition of "conservative intellectual" to include Huckabee.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Radbot posted:

I am withholding my normal accelerationist sentiment in realization that any other decision by SCOTUS would have meant the mortal suffering of literal millions of people.

Cool, now apply that same reasoning to all other circumstances and you've basically got yourself a non-horrible political outlook :D

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Kumo posted:

Scalia is such a loving useless prima donna.

He's that type of rear end in a top hat who is always right in their own heads, and will condemn others emotional responses ("it's a kulturekampf not a fit of spite") but levels his at the drop of a hat ("words mean nothing." up is down! left is right!).

He's also a terrible and schizophrenic jurist if you critically look at his reasoning & logic.

Scalia is basically a fully grown Eric Cartman.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Radbot posted:

But think about it man! If we had ruthlessly hosed over millions of people, We'd have full communism by tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
Somebody was taking video of Obama and Biden when they heard the ACA SCOTUS ruling

• Locked thread