Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

The pubbie blood must flow for le mighty Brodo.

rossmum posted:

Very loving close :sigh:

Tankchat: the Obj 777 makes me all hot and bothered. If it's released as a CW reward, I will not be responsible for my actions.

Make sure you at least clean up afterwards. :parrot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Found this video of the tank, does not seem that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJH5y4eD8cI

Might do the daily missions then just buy it for $15.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rossmum posted:

Very loving close :sigh:

Tankchat: the Obj 777 makes me all hot and bothered. If it's released as a CW reward, I will not be responsible for my actions.

Just make me sockpuppet on your account. It is a historically successful tactic.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Like FTR when it was a thing, I only rarely bother checking SR; I'd just like to mention that a link was given there to AW's T-62 article, found here.

Two big things to note from this:

1) The AW T-62 is not only uncannily clean and tidy, but the model's sporting some immediately noticeable inaccuracies. The gunsight and penetration for the coax are totally wrong, and the turret profile is also wrong - it's too domed, more like a T-55 than a T-62's flatter, more squared-off turret. I'd also noticed similar issues with the T-80 shown in the reveal but I gave them some latitude since that was the reveal. It bothers me quite a bit that fairly noticeable exterior details are not being corrected this late in development, let alone the tanks looking like they've just come off the factory floor - in fact, even then they'd probably be dirtier owing to dust. By comparison, the incoming T-62A HD model for WoT looks loving gorgeous.

2) Apparently the weirdo spergy fantasy quotes are SS's doing. Never change. Somehow, nobody is telling him to knock it off and stick to the program. I eagerly await the article where he interlaces the tale of a brave Bohemian ubermensch slaying the impure Romani and defeating the evil goon communist conspiracy to save the world from worker's rights.

I was pretty interested in AW - I was really hoping to play around with T-64s, T-80s, Chieftans, and Challies, but from things I've heard and some of the stuff I've seen I'm not so sure. At any rate, I would still say WG are far, far ahead of the competition when it comes to modelling the tanks themselves now that they're bringing the HD models in - AW's are inaccurate and too pristine, while Gaijin's models look overly gamey, not least because their art team doesn't seem to have much reference material when it comes to what worn painted steel looks like.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Gaijin's models look like they are stored in a swamp in between battles.

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

Its still a very unpolished, unfinished game though when you think about it. I do agree that they do have alot of catching up to do though to WoT.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Yeah that's a fair call. Still, it doesn't take too much effort to make sure your tank models are on the money - WoT's old ones may have had scaling issues and may not have been super detailed, but generally the details they had were accurate.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

rossmum posted:

AW Stuff

As a long time WoT player (I want that time back :colbert:), if you have a good PC, AW is generally really prettyful. The tanks are generally fairly (in the ballpark of) accurate (although the T-62, not so much). The devs have made some "interesting" decisions (such as turning off Matchmaker because tier 7s couldn't get a battle due to low numbers, meaning that the tier 7s got to seal club like there's no tomorrow), but in general the game is fun.
The game is a long, long way from finished and it is largely a rebalanced WoT atm (with a stupid number of inconsistencies wrt terrain and so on) but it's got it's own level of promise.

They're apparently handing out a bunch of "friend keys" to try and get more people into the game (the server pops are atrocious).

Oh, also, the Chief sucks.

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

I haven't had much time to play AW yet. I played maybe a total of 2 games so far? I played WoT for the IS-5, but have only really had time to fiddle around with some stuff on EVE for a bit before I had to go work/go to bed every day.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Schlesische posted:

Oh, also, the Chief sucks.

Historically accurate then. Despite my love of Our Lords and Saviours Centurion and T-64, I also have something of an affinity for bad, overweight, overbudget tanks whose armour protection is hideously exaggerated and whose failure rate is somewhere north of 50%. See: Chieftan, Panther, Tiger II.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jack_tripper posted:

spending five or six bucks on a churchill III when it's on sale is a 1000x better investment than grinding every day for a month straight and you'd still probably have to shell out another $15 because 200 A45 kills in eight days is pretty unlikely

They're slowly eliminating the tripartite of fixed T5 MM heavies. The T14's already gone (save for ultra-expensive packages that'll feature it in the future), the KV-220 is only offered in expensive packages, the Churchill III is more or less a staple so it'll go last, making the Excelsior the one that's most likely on the hit list next, which is ironic considering it's the 'newest' T5 fixed MM heavy tank.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 25, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
The way AW balanced MBT's to act worse than WW2 era tanks to make every other vehicle class feel "unique" is dumb. MBT's in AW have atrocious gun handling compared to everything and Vstab is apparently not a thing for that class. Also, mobility is on par or in some cases worse than some heavies in WoT. I'm not sure what AW devs are trying to do but it sucks atm.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Finally aced the Valentine. For some reason this feels like an accomplishment, mostly because of how atrocious the Valentine is.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Jesus. I should actually check SR more often. Highway's losing its river completely and gaining a straight east-west road, more terrain cover too. Meanwhile, Swamp's been totally rearranged. Noice. Hopefully they won't be chores to play now.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I'd like to see the Normandy map more than a grand total of 2 times.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I'd like to see the Normandy map not cause my team of absolute loving mongs charge the beach and die to a single TD every god drat loving time.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Jack_tripper posted:

spending five or six bucks on a churchill III when it's on sale is a 1000x better investment than grinding every day for a month straight and you'd still probably have to shell out another $15 because 200 A45 kills in eight days is pretty unlikely

Are the cheap premium tanks even any good though?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CODChimera posted:

The Churchill III is a flat-out 'must have.' The Excelsior is a good tank. Other than that, all the remaining/readily-available 'cheap' premium tanks are kind of lovely. Personally I really like the T-25, but it's a T5 without preferential MM.

Just whatever the gently caress you do, don't buy a Matilda Black Prince...or a Matilda IV.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

CODChimera posted:

Church 3 is one of the best T5's in the game. It is super dangerous when used correctly, even against T6's.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Excelsior is a good tank.

Excelsior!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Churchill III is a flat-out 'must have.' The Excelsior is a good tank. Other than that, all the remaining/readily-available 'cheap' premium tanks are kind of lovely. Personally I really like the T-25, but it's a T5 without preferential MM.

Just whatever the gently caress you do, don't buy a Matilda Black Prince...or a Matilda IV.

The Matilda IV is fine.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Holy poo poo. Tank Inspector's working again and there's a loving T5 prem PzIII with PzIV turret and 75mm gun in the game files.

Wargaming please. I will pay good money for this.

e/ wait, is this from the next wave of personal missions or something? Oh boy.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Matilda IV is fine.

Edit: I do well in it, but for it's tier and gold there are better (I.E. Church 3 and Excelsior).

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Matilda IV is fine.

Fine to get one shot by a FV304.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The Southern Dandy posted:

Fine to get one shot by a FV304.

http://www.instantrapairhorn.com/

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Heh, the weekend mission on EU gives a rental Tog for 7 days. It's nice of them to let everyone experience how much of a piece of poo poo it is in case someone is tempted to buy it. :v:

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Mesa's gifs are 8k wn8.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

CODChimera posted:

Stay the gently caress away from the Valentine. I got one for my reroll alt account (I want the T95Ewhatever!), and even with its special only Tier 4 matchmaking, it sucks liquid blood/poo poo from an Ebola victim's corpse. It can't loving pen ANYTHING. Complete garbage. They should be embarrassed to give out codes that inflict that piece of poo poo on new players.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The Southern Dandy posted:

Mesa's gifs are 8k wn8.

Slow time at my office job, I should be making videos of my beautiful face talking about how to use our website.

But I rather be an rear end in a top hat on the internet, eat popcorn, drink a disgusting amount of coffee and watch old episodes of Seinfield.

I am living the American Dream.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Slow time at my office job, I should be making videos of my beautiful face talking about how to use our website.

But I rather be an rear end in a top hat on the internet, eat popcorn, drink a disgusting amount of coffee and watch old episodes of Seinfield.

I am living the American Dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwcfDa0gEPQ

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZblPwNLH6hg

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mesadoram posted:

Edit: I do well in it, but for it's tier and gold there are better (I.E. Church 3 and Excelsior).

Oh yeah, but I got it before there were premium Soviet mediums other than the T34-85M, which wasn't on sale for the longest time. As a necessity for training my crew to five skills, and as the only option, it was money well spent.

Of course, I now own four premium Soviet mediums, because when it rains it pours. And because I am a hobby idiot.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

As a necessity for training my crew to five skills, and as the only option, it was money well spent.

gently caress man. Just... gently caress.
You deserve some kind of medal for that.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Edit: Nevermind.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I cheated by using a female crew and a pair of x3 & x5 crew experience weekends. Still, drat fine crew.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I cheated by using a female crew and a pair of x3 & x5 crew experience weekends. Still, drat fine crew.

Not too far in the future there are going to be running around with 7-8 skill female crews (and some crazy losers with 9 skill crews.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

It would be nice if they added some skills. After 4 or 5 the pickings are mighty slim.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Rincewinds posted:

Heh, the weekend mission on EU gives a rental Tog for 7 days. It's nice of them to let everyone experience how much of a piece of poo poo it is in case someone is tempted to buy it. :v:

if you already have it do you get to rent the gold for 7 days? free garage spot is nice at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Whats this about using a female crew and getting to 5 skills?!? I've been out of the loop for 2+ years.