Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
GT started off well enough but then you hit the Baby saga and it gets real bad. I don't think I've managed to survive that stupid poo poo yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rodyle posted:

I am going to skip the manga and the JP release and wait for the Super Dub.

I think you mean Super Duub.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So what does Dende do as Guardian if he can't, you know.. Guard. is his job just to look out for Earth and call in the big guns when poo poo goes bad? Piccolo training Dende on how to fight would be interesting.

Also, Ginyu Frog is still around, right? I could see Ginyu dancing around and making Trunks and Goten aware that he's a person, then tricking Trunks into using his Bulma genes and making him a frog translator device so he can steal his body, then use that to steal Vegeta or Gohan or someone unsuspecting. That would make for an interesting- if short- plotline.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Ginyu frog got blown up with Namek. I think he survived in the anime, but well, anime.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

New Leaf posted:

So what does Dende do as Guardian if he can't, you know.. Guard. is his job just to look out for Earth and call in the big guns when poo poo goes bad? Piccolo training Dende on how to fight would be interesting.

Well, as God, his guarding duties probably include much more than just the physical protection of the place.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I mean is Dende any different than Kami in that regard? With the exception of the 23rd (?) Budokai, when did he ever try to save things on Earth?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BlitzBlast posted:

Ginyu frog got blown up with Namek. I think he survived in the anime, but well, anime.

And I think he survived as a frog until Kid Buu blows up the Earth.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Covok posted:

I mean is Dende any different than Kami in that regard? With the exception of the 23rd (?) Budokai, when did he ever try to save things on Earth?

Kami fought Garlic Jr. ..It didn't go well, but still.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Kami's duty is one thing that picked my interest in my recent rereads. During Dragon Ball it seems his presence is absolutely necessary for the balance of the world, as if the moment Kami disappears fire will rain, rivers will turn into blood and demons from every other dimension will invade Earth, that's the only logical conclusion for Kami not being allowed to commit suicide and not actively trying to kill Piccolo despite what he was doing. In fact he DOES ask Tien to kill him and then tries to kill Piccolo during the 23rd world tournament but that'd be because he had already decided that Goku would be his successor.

Of course then came DBZ and we saw that his only role is keeping the dragon balls around (didn't Piccolo explicitly say this when he went to fuse with Kami?), but it's fun to think about it.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Squall posted:

GT started off well enough but then you hit the Baby saga and it gets real bad. I don't think I've managed to survive that stupid poo poo yet.

Really, no, no it wasn't. Baby was a mess, but things wrong with GT started before him. The start was mediocre, at best, then things just started dropping, and dropping hard.

Because you got poo poo like Dolltacki.

You probably don't remember him.

For good reason.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GT was never good. It started bad and ended a different type of bad. It's just bad

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

StrifeHira posted:

Really, no, no it wasn't. Baby was a mess, but things wrong with GT started before him. The start was mediocre, at best, then things just started dropping, and dropping hard.

For good reason.

Apparently nobody remembers Dolltacki because he doesn't even have a DBWiki page. What's his deal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

projecthalaxy posted:

Apparently nobody remembers Dolltacki because he doesn't even have a DBWiki page. What's his deal.

The page is right here.

Also, having just seen that DBM page, I think pretty obvious that his self-portrait has a tail because he dressed himself like Goku. Ya know, who has a tail. Just sayian.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

projecthalaxy posted:

Well, his name is spelled different, for one. Basically though he was one of the villains during the series 'early Dragonball but in SPACE' phase of things, and kind of a creep who had an interest in Pan.

I find myself in an odd place regarding GT - it was the first piece of dragonball media I actually watched on a regular basis as a kid, and I found myself enjoying it for the most part, though some stuff was just bleh even then. So I have a fond nostalgia for some bits even as I realise how much better the rest of the franchise tends to be.

Still think they missed an opportunity to do more with Uub.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

StrifeHira posted:

I guess I should have phrased it as "it started vaguely watchable." I can handle mediocre, but it doesn't stay mediocre for nearly long enough.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Astro Nut posted:

Still think they missed an opportunity to do more with Uub the entire franchise.

ftfy

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Petiso posted:

Kami's duty is one thing that picked my interest in my recent rereads. During Dragon Ball it seems his presence is absolutely necessary for the balance of the world, as if the moment Kami disappears fire will rain, rivers will turn into blood and demons from every other dimension will invade Earth, that's the only logical conclusion for Kami not being allowed to commit suicide and not actively trying to kill Piccolo despite what he was doing. In fact he DOES ask Tien to kill him and then tries to kill Piccolo during the 23rd world tournament but that'd be because he had already decided that Goku would be his successor.

Of course then came DBZ and we saw that his only role is keeping the dragon balls around (didn't Piccolo explicitly say this when he went to fuse with Kami?), but it's fun to think about it.

I think Kami is just, like, a sort of functionary who represents the planet to the celestial bureaucracy. Like, if the Kais or Yama or anyone needs a go-to guy to talk to about Earth then he's your man. They say that Vegeta had a God too, at least in the anime, and I always just assumed that Guru as well as the Namek race's progenitor was also their Kami, since he lives alone with a single assistant on top of a large, inaccessible tower.

Knowing what happens in Dragonball, I totally missed as a kid that Guru's chair is the same as the chair King Piccolo sits in when he's getting Pilaf and his goons to help his kids gather the Dragonballs.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Prison Warden posted:

Knowing what happens in Dragonball, I totally missed as a kid that Guru's chair is the same as the chair King Piccolo sits in when he's getting Pilaf and his goons to help his kids gather the Dragonballs.

:aaa:

Holy poo poo.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I watched Rebirth of F this tuesday on my local cinema and the dub was really good. #Based South America

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You're a butthead and I have to wait til August.:mad:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I watched Rebirth of F this tuesday on my local cinema and the dub was really good. #Based South America

I'm watching on Saturday and I'm drat pumped for it. Had to wait due to classes, since it's out today here as well (#BasedSouthAmerica indeed!), but it'll be drat nice to watch it on Saturday then spoil everyone else.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Where and when the hell is this film showing in London?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

You don't put spaces in a drat hash tag

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

sharktamer posted:

Where and when the hell is this film showing in London?

When we import the American DVD

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Drowning Rabbit posted:

It gets better after the baby saga, but not much. The character designs are really cool, and the overall concept, but the execution is so sub par it's grinding.

Yeah I'm prepared to be watching something possibly terrible, though I saw the GT movie back in the day about Goku Jr. and remember actually liking that quite a bit.

Mraagvpeine posted:

If you're going to do that, at least post your feelings after each episode so that we can see the progress of your disappointment.

I'll post some updates as I'm watching through the series, though it won't be after every episode.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

They made a loving GT movie? :stonk:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Parrotine posted:

Yes, it's set like 100 years after GT and focuses on the adventure of Goku's great-grandson: Goku Jr.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Parrotine posted:

a movie about goku jr trying to find a dragon ball to revive grandma pan

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It was cool to see everyone in the cinema yelling kamehamehas whenever Goku and Master Kame did them. The fight scenes were pretty good although I kinda wish they were more intense.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Parrotine posted:

Yeah, and it was better than anything that happened in GT outside of Vegeta's moustache.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Parrotine posted:

No, they made a TV special though.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

These loving own.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

StrifeHira posted:

For good reason.

Was that the guy who had a giant buddah baby fight everyone and a trio of space gangsters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwoaTeGSlLg

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

punch the gokey, pickle man

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

SirDrone posted:

Was that the guy who had a giant buddah baby fight everyone and a trio of space gangsters?

See? GT is all about sounding good on paper.

Prison Warden posted:

I think Kami is just, like, a sort of functionary who represents the planet to the celestial bureaucracy. Like, if the Kais or Yama or anyone needs a go-to guy to talk to about Earth then he's your man. They say that Vegeta had a God too, at least in the anime, and I always just assumed that Guru as well as the Namek race's progenitor was also their Kami, since he lives alone with a single assistant on top of a large, inaccessible tower.

Yeah, that was always my assumption as well, I also never realized Guru's chair was exactly like King Piccolo's once you remove the skulls :aaa:

Continuing the god-talk, I was also surprised when I read King Kai saying to himself that it was wrong for him to root for Goku and that he should actually stay neutral, I guess it makes sense for gods to be the not interfering types and only helping heroes "help themselves" like in many myths, but then again the supreme Kais had to take care of Buu even though they (well, he, since there was only one at the time) ignored Freeza despite knowing him, maybe the gods are like the UN and Buu was so powerful it qualified as a weapon of mass destruction? Or maybe it's the fact that Bibidi tried to take over the sacred world of the Kais and would've ignored him too if he just went conquering planets?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Petiso posted:

Or maybe it's the fact that Bibidi tried to take over the sacred world of the Kais and would've ignored him too if he just went conquering planets?

Considering the supreme kai shat himself at the thought of going up against pui-pui and yakon frieza probably would have bodied him. He probably didn't even know Frieza could transform.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Considering the supreme kai shat himself at the thought of going up against pui-pui and yakon frieza probably would have bodied him. He probably didn't even know Frieza could transform.

Best part was he said Supreme Kais are all 1000 times stronger than Frieza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Beef Chief posted:

No, but for real that first chapter was rear end.

"let's do the movies again" is something I could not be less interested in

• Locked thread