Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also On Nier chat:

The lyrics for one of the songs that is actually intelligible goes:

Jesus Horus Judas Venus Vashti Haman Charon

Then it pauses and the chorus chants

Nier

It's kind of cool what that implies :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also On Nier chat:

The lyrics for one of the songs that is actually intelligible goes:

Jesus Horus Judas Venus Vashti Haman Charon

Then it pauses and the chorus chants

Nier

It's kind of cool what that implies :shobon:

For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDI4GZMVF0

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Gologle posted:

Jimi Hendrix once said that if you love something, you must sacrifice it. If he loves life, sacrifice it for the glory of Final Fantasy XIV.

I imagine Yoshi-P subsists on a powerful brew of coffee and cocaine brewed together and then injected into his arm.

All kidding aside, I hope the guy doesn't pull an Eiichiro Oda (One Piece) and work so hard that he literally collapses and gets hospitalized for it.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Vanderdeath posted:

I imagine Yoshi-P subsists on a powerful brew of coffee and cocaine brewed together and then injected into his arm.

All kidding aside, I hope the guy doesn't pull an Eiichiro Oda (One Piece) and work so hard that he literally collapses and gets hospitalized for it.

It's probably coffee and cigarettes like every other Japanese developer over 40.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Also depression from being overworked by well over 20 hours and having your entire life essentially planned out by your almost literal parent company.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

Al-Cid owns sorry
I never said he didn't.

There's this snot-nosed Arcadian kid who wants me to fight this....thing. I can't tell because the picture of it looked like something a 6 year old would draw. It was hilarious. I'm also stoked to see more of Balthier's dad. There's only been once cutscene with him so far and he was pretty fun.

Edit: Oh crap, I just realized what "the thing" supposed to be. :gonk:

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 25, 2015

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
You just got to the part where the game picks up again. Have fun in Archades!

And yeah, Dr. Cid's voice actor is probably my single favorite thing in the game :allears: The animation for Scathe is close though.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Ughhhh, that Mandragora battle is somehow worse than I remembered. It's pretty much impossible to do anything because they're constantly running all over the map and casting slow, sleep and silence on you.

Rasler really doesn't sound like I expected him too. He was the same age as Vaan yet sounds 35.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Does anyone have any tips for Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3? I'm on the content/easy mode patch but it's still ridiculously hard. I hate having to save-scum to find random encounters that are actually possible to beat at my level. The game's been throwing Lv9 thieves and goblins that can darkness/confusion at the same time, or deal 20 dmg a pop to several of my group, or just straight up deal 90 damage with Triple Impact. I'm doing 20-30 damage on average right now. Am I missing something or do I just need to progress with the story to level? The enemies don't outclass me as much in the story but I'm still having a really hard time past the 2nd mission.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Don't play fan made 'difficulty' or 'rebalance' patches. They're always always terrible.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The people behind 1.3 make the cardinal mistake that almost all fan projects make. they forget at one point they were poo poo at the game. They think they were always hot stuff, hence they make changes that exploit the most minute understanding of the game. And that's perfectly fine for personal use but when you release it to the public you have to do it with the public in mind. in SMW hacks when you set the time for the course, you don't set it to your time, because it's naturally going to be fast, I think it's 20%? the point is it's not your fastest time.

And the dude behind 1.3 specifically is fully of the belief that you should understand everything about the game 100% and gently caress you otherwise scrub. I'm not sure, is there still a completely unbeatable random encounter super boss based on a forum joke? and when people found out how to beat it he hacked it out and got pissy?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

John Quixote posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3? I'm on the content/easy mode patch but it's still ridiculously hard. I hate having to save-scum to find random encounters that are actually possible to beat at my level. The game's been throwing Lv9 thieves and goblins that can darkness/confusion at the same time, or deal 20 dmg a pop to several of my group, or just straight up deal 90 damage with Triple Impact. I'm doing 20-30 damage on average right now. Am I missing something or do I just need to progress with the story to level? The enemies don't outclass me as much in the story but I'm still having a really hard time past the 2nd mission.

Yeah, I wouldn't really recommend 1.3. If you want something a little different from FFT, there are a bunch of other less obnoxious options. Here are some that make the game more challenging/balanced, but not nearly as hair-pulling as 1.3. Here are some I know of (although I haven't played most of them):

There's FFT: Kind Of, which also comes in a PSP version.
There's also LFT. It seems to do some nice things like giving everyone inherent Gained JP Up to reduce/remove the need to grind.
There's also FFT+.

You can read up a bit to see what appeals to you. That site also has a bunch of other FFT mods, some of them pretty out there (Let's have Cloud Strife, Link from LoZ, Solid Snake, and Dante from DMC join forces in Ivalice!).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Onmi posted:

And the dude behind 1.3 specifically is fully of the belief that you should understand everything about the game 100% and gently caress you otherwise scrub. I'm not sure, is there still a completely unbeatable random encounter super boss based on a forum joke? and when people found out how to beat it he hacked it out and got pissy?

I love FFT, but yeah its fanbase gets really...weird about it and how it should be played sometimes. None of this surprises me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

That site also has a bunch of other FFT mods, some of them pretty out there (Let's have Cloud Strife, Link from LoZ, Solid Snake, and Dante from DMC join forces in Ivalice!).

That sounds like extremely my thing. I haven't played vanilla FFT yet though- should I go through that first?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I had originally gotten 1.3 because I heard a lot of things in FFT were non-functional or bugged and it looked like the most complete patch. I'm relieved to hear my frustration is shared. At least I'm not far in the game at all - I'm going to either just play vanilla for my first playthrough or try the LFT mod because I like how it keeps the rebalances and some difficulty while seemingly streamlining it (depending on what's better). Thank you!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Why would anybody play a modded version of a game for their first playthrough? Just curious for those who did.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

John Quixote posted:

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I had originally gotten 1.3 because I heard a lot of things in FFT were non-functional or bugged and it looked like the most complete patch. I'm relieved to hear my frustration is shared. At least I'm not far in the game at all - I'm going to either just play vanilla for my first playthrough or try the LFT mod because I like how it keeps the rebalances and some difficulty while seemingly streamlining it (depending on what's better). Thank you!

Just play vanilla.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

Why would anybody play a modded version of a game for their first playthrough? Just curious for those who did.

there's sometimes good bugfix patches that don't do anything else, like fixing the defense bug in ff6 would be a good mod for a first-time player.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Vanilla is hard if you've never played the game before. I couldn't imagine a game that was harder and required knowledge of every exploit.

Sounds like real fun for the autistic, though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I beat vanilla and thought I was perfectly good at the game but I couldn't get much past Dorter in 1.3 so I deleted it. Too hard for the casual fan - it was only the content patch too.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
FFT vanilla was hard the first time around but you didn't need to completely understand every gameplay aspect of it to win. I limped over the finish line first time through using a "well-rounded" party, wanting to use a calculator but getting bored trying to feed her JP. Then I watched a friend beat it using Ramza Yell/Scream and realized how much easier it could have been.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Also don't forget the guy who made it is literally a yiffing furfaggot.

EDIT: Actually, that was probably the rear end in a top hat who made Brave New World, that one terrible FF6 fan patch (although, aren't they all terrible?)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gologle posted:

EDIT: Actually, that was probably the rear end in a top hat who made Brave New World, that one terrible FF6 fan patch (although, aren't they all terrible?)

who even loving cares

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Gologle posted:

Yes, it was the Brave New World guy, but the patch is actually quite good. You might consider judging a work on its own merits rather than the hobbies and perversions of its creator.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you don't blow one off to Lightning-Dono, then your game is not worth playing.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Lightning owns, haters vacate

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gologle posted:

the same could be said of something awful

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Dubious posted:

Lightning owns, haters vacate

I liked 13-2 the best

im a sucker for ridiculous time travel stuff

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
FFT vanilla is perfectly fine. Depending on how much you like to get in to mechanics and using FAQs and stuff, it's either decent pacing with some hard spots or pretty easy.

If you're going to mod it, LFT is the only way to go, IMO. It's sort of a vanilla+ mode. A bit more challenging but in a way that seems completely fair. Some nice QoL benefits and so on.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Vanilla FFT is the best final fantasy game.

I don't see why you need to hard-mode mod it unless you were autistic and needed more of a challenge but didn't want to play a skill-based game.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I spent a long time trying to find this snake in Final Fantasy XII. It told me to do a "thorough search" of the Zertinan Caverns. I did just that and nothing happened aside from coming across an esper and a rare creature. So I looked up how to find the snake and it turns out you're supposed to turn your gambits off, stand in the first section of the cave, without doing anything, for five minutes. How the hell is anyone supposed to figure that out? :psyduck:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Celery Face posted:

How the hell is anyone supposed to figure that out? :psyduck:

FFXII is full of bullshit like that. Good luck finding poo poo in the Great Crystal without a detailed map

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Celery Face posted:

I spent a long time trying to find this snake in Final Fantasy XII. It told me to do a "thorough search" of the Zertinan Caverns. I did just that and nothing happened aside from coming across an esper and a rare creature. So I looked up how to find the snake and it turns out you're supposed to turn your gambits off, stand in the first section of the cave, without doing anything, for five minutes. How the hell is anyone supposed to figure that out? :psyduck:

You don't actually have to turn off your gambits; it just shows up in the area after a couple minutes. I think the guy who gives the hunt says it's shy or something, so they probably hoped you'd spend a long time in the area searching until it pops up. Still, you'll just want to go ahead and use a FAQ to find some of the hunt/rare monsters.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Some of the design decisions in XII are absolutely baffling, especially with regards to hunts, rare monsters, and loot.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

you only get the best sword in the game by defeating every superboss and trading in their drops, which renders it basically useless since you have to kill everything to get it

i guess it's more of a dragon quest easter egg than anything else.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

i just wanna say, i abused the Continue feature, so I wouldn't have to start from the beginning of the crystal tower but I beat ff3.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Excels posted:

you only get the best sword in the game by defeating every superboss and trading in their drops, which renders it basically useless since you have to kill everything to get it

i guess it's more of a dragon quest easter egg than anything else.

You can even harder crush a boss that 20 hours ago you could kill faster than he can cast his setpiece abilities.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Some of the design decisions in XII are absolutely baffling, especially with regards to hunts, rare monsters, and loot.

they make perfect sense once you realize it draws a lot of game design from ff11, which is why literally everything in that game is irredeemably poo poo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

a chest that only spawns 1% of the time? loving BRILLIANT, DO IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm pretty sure the games were deliberately designed that way to sell strategy guides.