Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

geeves posted:

Since I survived the last year I decided to reward myself with the new 5Ds.

5D2 with a 32g card can get over 1000 raw images. 5Ds only 404. :stonk:

But that new camera smell :allears:

Post JPEGs immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

annapacketstormaya posted:

Just like burning money!

So true!

somnambulist posted:

I'm jealous, how do you like it so far? I'm definitely getting one at some point.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Post JPEGs immediately.

I haven't been able to shoot yet. lovely weather + just getting out of surgery and resting hasn't given me a lot of time :/

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

geeves posted:

So true!

I haven't been able to shoot yet. lovely weather + just getting out of surgery and resting hasn't given me a lot of time :/

do you not have cats or

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

A 50mp image of a surgical scar might be kinda cool

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

A 50mp image of a surgical scar might be kinda cool

It's already planned :)

The whole surgery / incision lines have given me an idea for a photo series which may be tough to accomplish but hopefully interesting if I find enough people who have been through something similar to me

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

geeves posted:

It's already planned :)

The whole surgery / incision lines have given me an idea for a photo series which may be tough to accomplish but hopefully interesting if I find enough people who have been through something similar to me
Gross.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I am planing on grabbing a 5d (original tomorrow) and plan on grabbing a 50mm lens. It seems like the newest STM is the way to go. Unless grabbing an older II model used is indistinguishable or good enough. Or the Yongnuo...

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

daspope posted:

I am planing on grabbing a 5d (original tomorrow) and plan on grabbing a 50mm lens. It seems like the newest STM is the way to go. Unless grabbing an older II model used is indistinguishable or good enough. Or the Yongnuo...

Get the new one. I have it, build quality alone is worth it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I traded the 50 II for a pack of beer because it's basically worthless.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Bubbacub posted:

I traded the 50 II for a pack of beer because it's basically worthless.

You didn't like the gear shredding sounds it made, or was it the "falls apart" feature that strikes often?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I got a good deal recently, on a Canon 5D mark II. It came with two EF primes (35mm & 100 macro), a speedlite (ex430ii), and a 32GB, 45mb/s Sandisk CF card. Before getting the 5D, I just had a Sony a6000 with kit lens and some adapted EF-S lenses from my old Rebel XSi. A lot of people like to talk poo poo about Canon these days, but you know what? After using it for a few weeks now, I think the 5Dmkii is really a pretty ok camera.

I especially like how I can take it outside in most weather conditions and shoot away without having to worry about it spontaneously disassembling if I don't pamper it constantly.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
The 5D2 was/is a fantastic camera. It's only weakspot was the AF, but that was overstated, IMO.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
The fact that you can get a BGN 5dii on KEH for like $900 makes it one of the smartest pick-ups for someone trying to get a top of the line DSLR. The AF is garbage especially in low light but if you're buying a Canon body for low light shooting you're already hosed. Also it can take some pretty drat good video with magic lantern.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The low light AF is pretty, well, non-existent. But the speedlite has an AF illuminator that fixes that. Although I havn't tried to use it for just that purpose (i.e. without firing the flash). Is it possible?

(Honestly, I think my a6000 has a slight edge on low-light IQ vs the 5D, which is crazy when you consider that it's an APS-C with much denser/smaller pixels.)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The 5D2 was/is a fantastic camera. It's only weakspot was the AF, but that was overstated, IMO.

I used a 5D2, I think the center point AF was pretty good but the other outer AF points were absolutely garbage in low-light.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

alkanphel posted:

I used a 5D2, I think the center point AF was pretty good but the other outer AF points were absolutely garbage in low-light.

With mine I just used center point all the time. Never bothered with the rest.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

geeves posted:

Yeah same, but probably also because we didn't have choice :P

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I got a good deal recently, on a Canon 5D mark II. It came with two EF primes (35mm & 100 macro), a speedlite (ex430ii), and a 32GB, 45mb/s Sandisk CF card. Before getting the 5D, I just had a Sony a6000 with kit lens and some adapted EF-S lenses from my old Rebel XSi. A lot of people like to talk poo poo about Canon these days, but you know what? After using it for a few weeks now, I think the 5Dmkii is really a pretty ok camera.
The fact that there were better cameras for the money doesn't make mk2's bad. If you canine with the AF for what you shoot it's a nice body.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

geeves posted:

Sounds like my 6D tbqh.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

If you canine with the AF

How can dogge use DLSR without thumbs?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

The fact that there were better cameras for the money doesn't make mk2's bad. If you canine with the AF for what you shoot it's a nice body.

Yeah, this deal was probably better than I could have gotten for a comparable camera, especially with the lenses and flash included. It was sort of a barter. But I still have to rationalize not selling it and getting something else.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

Just set it at f/1.4 for him. so much bokeh.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Bubbacub posted:

My Olympus TG-1 has a dog mode that will automatically take a picture when it detects a dog's face. It works, actually.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I thought (admittedly from reading reports, no IRL experience since) that for the latest iteratinos the 6d has some of the best low light sensitivity and low noise but mainly falls short by having about 3 stops of dynamic range less than competing sensors. That and the crop sensors are pretty awful because basically hasn't improved since the 7d?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Trambopaline posted:

I thought (admittedly from reading reports, no IRL experience since) that for the latest iteratinos the 6d has some of the best low light sensitivity and low noise but mainly falls short by having about 3 stops of dynamic range less than competing sensors. That and the crop sensors are pretty awful because basically hasn't improved since the 7d?

The 6D's low light performance is straight up amazing, both the quality of the high ISOs (6400 is perfectly useable and 12800 looks like most camera's 16-3200 to me) and the sensitivity of the (single) cross sensor. I thought the dynamic range thing would be noticeable in normal use due to the way I see people on other forums/blogs/etc melting down over Canon DR but honestly I don't see it and it hasn't prevented me from enjoying this really bitchin camera.

The crop sensors do seem really bad when it comes to high ISOs though (e: I mean even compared to other brand's APS-C), it's what really put me off the 70D when I was trying stuff out, despite the rest of that camera being awesome.

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 24, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

d0s posted:

The 6D's low light performance is straight up amazing, both the quality of the high ISOs (6400 is perfectly useable and 12800 looks like most camera's 16-3200 to me) and the sensitivity of the (single) cross sensor. I thought the dynamic range thing would be noticeable in normal use due to the way I see people on other forums/blogs/etc melting down over Canon DR but honestly I don't see it and it hasn't prevented me from enjoying this really bitchin camera.

The crop sensors do seem really bad when it comes to high ISOs though (e: I mean even compared to other brand's APS-C), it's what really put me off the 70D when I was trying stuff out, despite the rest of that camera being awesome.

Some people have a genuine use for the extra shadow latitude, some are just gearheads having anxiety attacks over nonsense. You have to take internet chatter with a grain of salt. The difference is there at lower ISO (it becomes even at around 800)

Re: Crop High ISO though, I think you may want to look again. This is the D7200 & 70D , ISO 3200, in DPR's new studio scene (@ 100%), in the shadow area next to the bottle. This is with ACR's default settings (sharpening 25, chroma reduction 25, luminance reduction 0) - if you see a significant difference between these two crops, you have way better eyes than I do.

Detail wise though, the crop Sony & Toshiba sensors are killing it because most of the cameras using them don't have AA filters anymore. And they have the 2-3 stop DR advantage at base ISO like the FF sensors do as well.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Focus and recompose for life yo. That center point can see in the dark.

Taking focused pictures of flying birds is not something the 6D was ever meant for though.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So is the Mark IV coming out, or is that what the 5DS is?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So is the Mark IV coming out, or is that what the 5DS is?

Current rumors are not sure if it will be a 5dIV or a 5dX when it drops. There is supposed to be another 5d "event" focused camera rather than studio though

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Could just be me, but I think that my 5D's occ jpegs colors (picture styles) are far better than my Sony's. The RAWs have "better" color too, and when I browse pictures on Flickr Camera Explorer, a lot more of the stuff I see from Sony & Nikon bodies looks a little flat, tone wise.

Canon opinion: The only product line that produces better minimally-post processed 'snapshot' pictures than Canon's is Fuji's.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Could just be me, but I think that my 5D's occ jpegs colors (picture styles) are far better than my Sony's. The RAWs have "better" color too, and when I browse pictures on Flickr Camera Explorer, a lot more of the stuff I see from Sony & Nikon bodies looks a little flat, tone wise.

Canon opinion: The only product line that produces better minimally-post processed 'snapshot' pictures than Canon's is Fuji's.

You can download some pretty nice picture style presets online also and load them into the camera (up to 3 user defined ones) - there's some nice Portra & 400H styled ones that will tone down the Canon Red a bit in the skin tones (the Canon Portrait style is way too red IMO)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

timrenzi574 posted:

You can download some pretty nice picture style presets online also and load them into the camera (up to 3 user defined ones) - there's some nice Portra & 400H styled ones that will tone down the Canon Red a bit in the skin tones (the Canon Portrait style is way too red IMO)

are these kinds of things free? i'm curious to try them out but don't know where to begin looking

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

TheQat posted:

are these kinds of things free? i'm curious to try them out but don't know where to begin looking

some are free, some people charge for. http://cinescopophilia.com/download-the-vw-158-canon-dslr-picture-styles-picture-profiles/

This collection has 158 free picture styles for Canon - there's some film inspired ones in there, as well as a lot of flat/low contrast ones for use when you're doing ETTR and want to get a more realistic histogram for how much data is actually being captured in the RAW. Warning is that your preview/review JPG's will look completely f'd up when you use one of those.

Example (From this pack - Canon built in 'Portrait' Setting , Kodak Portra 160NC , FLAT+20)

As you can see, the flat one is.. ugly. It will give you a better idea of whether you're clipping in the histogram, but the previews will be hideous.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
That does not appear to my eyes to be a good portra emulation, though it does solve the over saturated reds thing that Canon's OOC images tend to have.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

Re: Crop High ISO though, I think you may want to look again. This is the D7200 & 70D , ISO 3200, in DPR's new studio scene (@ 100%), in the shadow area next to the bottle. This is with ACR's default settings (sharpening 25, chroma reduction 25, luminance reduction 0) - if you see a significant difference between these two crops, you have way better eyes than I do.

Honestly I wasn't even considering Nikon much at all (nothing against them, just don't like their ergonomics) so I never actually did much Canon vs Nikon comparison, I was mostly comparing against Pentax K-3 and some Sonys and Fujis. It was more "these cameras' pictures look better to me" than really trying to do objective noise tests and stuff.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah the caveat to my preference for canon Picture Style is with the red-tinted interiors and skin tones. The first time I tried taking indoor pictures of my orange tabby cat with the 5D2 he came out looking like a moldy carrot. Right now the only custom Picture Style I use is one I brewed up for indoor portraits.

I wonder if any of those custom film simulations even approach the quality of Fuji's.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah the caveat to my preference for canon Picture Style is with the red-tinted interiors and skin tones. The first time I tried taking indoor pictures of my orange tabby cat with the 5D2 he came out looking like a moldy carrot. Right now the only custom Picture Style I use is one I brewed up for indoor portraits.

I wonder if any of those custom film simulations even approach the quality of Fuji's.

Well, Fuji's "provia" doesn't really look like all that much like provia, so I guess a portra one that doesn't really look like portra is about equal :) (They both have nice skin tones at any rate)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

:nws: :nms: Fair warning for surgical staples.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

dag. did you have OHS man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

dag. did you have OHS man?

Twice. Last September, I caught a virus (not ebola) that caused viral cardio myopathy and killed me. I was put on a device to allow my heart to recover. Took a bit longer than I would have liked, but recover it did. I had to have surgery again earlier this month to remove the device. Thankfully through all of it I avoided a transplant, but it was leaning that way for a while. I'll never be 100% again, but I'm at 75-80% and that's fine by me.