Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe it's supposed to be modern anti-comedy

The comedy stylings of Ashley Tisdale.

I am kind of confused as to how the top-billed performer on that show does not have a Wikipedia article, it's also a bit odd when Lauren Lapkus (no offense) has more legitimate credits than your lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ArtVandelay posted:

So I just tried to watch Clipped because I love Lauren lapkus. I got about 10 minutes in before I had to stop, it might be the worst thing I've ever seen on television. A black hole of nonhumor.

America still craves really bad multicam sitcoms. I can't explain it, but I just spent a long weekend with my extended family and boy howdy do they still love that "Labored stage play built solely to set up really obvious punchlines" format.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

The Case Closed about Sun Kill Moon was the worst, most grating one yet. It took like 30 mins with no insights. And I've known SKM to be a piece of poo poo for years.

ArtVandelay posted:

So I just tried to watch Clipped because I love Lauren lapkus. I got about 10 minutes in before I had to stop, it might be the worst thing I've ever seen on television. A black hole of nonhumor.

It's really easy to forget that some shows still have laugh tracks. But ya, it is abysmal. I watched the pilot, and 80% of it was about their hangups from high school prom.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe it's supposed to be modern anti-comedy
Produced by Tim Heidecker :edgy: #podcastbattle

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I actually thought this was the best run case closed so far. Matt gave everyone time to talk and to get their points across, and didn't bully or talk over anyone once. I just thought everyone's points were incredibly half-baked, on both sides. How do they constantly bring it back to Seinfeld and not mention Michael Richards's infamous rant?

That being said, I have to firmly agree with the callers. That Andy Daly is awesome.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

piratepilates posted:

The comedy stylings of Ashley Tisdale.

I am kind of confused as to how the top-billed performer on that show does not have a Wikipedia article, it's also a bit odd when Lauren Lapkus (no offense) has more legitimate credits than your lead.

I saw the @midnight with the cast, I knew it would be a terribly unfunny show when Lauren's weakest jokes were treated like home runs compared to Tisdale.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

I just thought everyone's points were incredibly half-baked, on both sides. How do they constantly bring it back to Seinfeld and not mention Michael Richards's infamous rant?
EXACTLY! The point was just waiting to be brought up. There's making fun of misogony/racism/whatever-piece-of-poo poo-perspective, and there's may to use those as the cudgel, to piggy-back off the hurt caused by those to try and score cheap points. There's being a heel, and there's being a bully. It's like that weird place Daniel Tosh lives: he seems to be sarcastic, but there's not much there there beyond race+rape jokes.

And also, the Iron Sheikh example was awful because that dude has a ruined brain.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
It's not ear wolf but you guys might want to check out the doughboys podcast if you haven't. It's Mitch from birthday boys and some guy I've never heard of doing extremely, extremely earnest reviews of chain restaurants and it's probably my favorite new pod cast.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

It's not ear wolf but you guys might want to check out the doughboys podcast if you haven't. It's Mitch from birthday boys and some guy I've never heard of doing extremely, extremely earnest reviews of chain restaurants and it's probably my favorite new pod cast.

Nick Wiger! of the Monster gently caress song three separate times!
I'm upset at Mitch for not breaking character to plug this last time he was on.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Thanks for recommending that. Had it open in a tab forever, but definitely will check it out with your seal of approval.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

I saw the @midnight with the cast, I knew it would be a terribly unfunny show when Lauren's weakest jokes were treated like home runs compared to Tisdale.

Who won?

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

The third cast member on the show, Ryan Pinkston.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tavarin posted:

The third cast member on the show, Ryan Pinkston.

Lauren was robbed with a "8===D~~~~"

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Seems like once you got familiar with the format you could prolly get away with not listening to the entire episode for a given podcast

Then again, I used to have an internship where I had to review a single song one time a week and that was really hard so I dunno.

There was definitely a podmass reviewer or two who only reviewed the first 10 minutes of episodes. I forget the details, but there were a couple times where it was really obvious.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would listen to podcasts for a living

It feels like I already do that sometimes

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Help Im Alive posted:

I would listen to podcasts for a living

It feels like I already do that sometimes

I go to work simply to be in a climate-controlled environment wherein I can listen to my podcasts while someone pays me to manipulate rudimentary spreadsheets of dubious quality.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I was reading a splitsider's review of the HH best-of, and they said that both Hayes and Sean was in the New York studio...

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Man, the latest HDTGM really goes off the rails in some spectacular ways this week.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Lugaloco posted:

Man, the latest HDTGM really goes off the rails in some spectacular ways this week.

Like 9/11 in podcast form.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
"Too soon? It's been at least 10 minutes since the last 9/11 reference!"

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

It seriously might be one of the best episodes they've ever done. Some of the stuff when they were taking questions was loving hilarious. There was that one guy who was shouting a bunch of poo poo that they didn't like though, but I'm not sure what the hell he even said.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That woman they were trying to push into marriage was SO anxious!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

That woman they were trying to push into marriage was SO anxious!
I love pally for taking it to marriage instantly, as soon as "huge question" was mentioned you knew it had to be picked at.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

I figured out who "mitch" is and it is one of the birthday boys that i have heard of. cheers.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

I love pally for taking it to marriage instantly, as soon as "huge question" was mentioned you knew it had to be picked at.

"THAT'S WHAT IT IS ISN'T IT? THATS WHAT IT IS!"

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I've been using "Fasty" as a dumb joke name for stuff since 2006 (I remember because the first time I used it was as the name of the horse in Zelda: Twilight Princess), and I was even thinking how perfect it would be for a car name just before John Hodgman said it on Spontaneanation. That and my love of Chris Tallman and Colleen Smith made today's episode pretty much my favorite thing (five consecutive minutes of advertisements notwithstanding).

I've always wondered how the jokes I come up with while listening to podcasts would go over if someone on the show said them, now I know that they'd be great every time without exception! Anyone else ever have that happen, where someone on a show says exactly what you would have said if you were there?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Every time someone mentions Hugh Jackman on The Flophouse Dan says "Huge Ackman" which is something I've been doing for years.

The Banned
Jun 11, 2005
"My witness is the empty sky."
I've always called him Huge Jackedman.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Brian Huskey back on Hollywood Handbook, live ep !!!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Zsinjeh posted:

Brian Huskey back on Hollywood Handbook, live ep !!!

TEEN POPE 2! Finally, a Hollywood sequel I can get behind.

Get that puss!

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

TEEN POPE 2! Finally, a Hollywood sequel I can get behind.

Get that puss!

I should have known it could never be as good as the first, but it had its moments. Also Brian Huskey definitely doesn't realize they speak Portuguese in Brazil.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Tacier posted:

Also Brian Huskey definitely doesn't realize they speak Portuguese in Brazil.
That was hilarious, especially making a fake-smug statement about Americans not knowing anything.

That final statement scared me the poo poo out as usual, they can't joke about being cancelled like that :(

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
is toby keith sweat getting points off the gross for teen pope 2??

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

That was hilarious, especially making a fake-smug statement about Americans not knowing anything.

That final statement scared me the poo poo out as usual, they can't joke about being cancelled like that :(

I think you can be forgiven for that seeing that's pretty much how Hayes dropped the news RSS was ending.

I'm scared too bud :(

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I finally used a service advertised on Hollywood Handbook (Cash.me,) which is of course the one thing they've advertised without any way to let the sponsor know they sent me there :(

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

I think you can be forgiven for that seeing that's pretty much how Hayes dropped the news RSS was ending.

I'm scared too bud :(
I can see how funny it is too play with the emotions of their fans, but the rss wound is still extremely easy to open for me again :(
Did they remove the soundcloud numbers recently? I've been hearing a lot more fans on the earwolf sub reddit but that's probably just a small echo-chamber like us.

Also if cash.me is like the swish app I use here in Sweden (send money instantly through phone contacts) I can't recommend it enough. Cuts down on so much annoying hassle when out with friends and you want to pay a shared bill, order tickets for things, etc

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Ya, Soundcloud stopped a while ago, I tried to check to see the CBB bump. They've also been given the Best Show bump, Scharpling said they were the funniest podcast going last epi.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
They're also on the latest episode of The Best Show that's up today

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Just checked the best show podcast and the boys were on there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ya, Soundcloud stopped a while ago, I tried to check to see the CBB bump. They've also been given the Best Show bump, Scharpling said they were the funniest podcast going last epi.

For some reason the recent Erin Whitehead episode has a listen count and it's currently sitting just under 18k, which is about double their usual. Maybe the bump was more considerable than I thought.