Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The real protaganist of Part 5 is the turtle. Not Polnaref, just the regular turtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Giorno's Gold Experience seems like the kind of thing that in any other shonen would either be something that just gets used really badly and robs it of any tension at all. Or is the power of a bad guy and it somehow gets overcome by punching it even harder because. This being Jojo's, I can feel safe in guessing that neither of those will be the case here.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

littleorv posted:

Oh I didn't realize there was such a thing as phreaking. I googled it and I understand now, thank you. Now it is time to go back to reading Jojo.

Yeah that's one of those times where JJBA shows its age. Around 92-93, kids of the age where they'd be reading the manga would probably have heard about phreaking in the news at some point. It only made sense to me when I first read it because I learned about it when I was studying network security.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Dragonatrix posted:

Giorno's Gold Experience seems like the kind of thing that in any other shonen would either be something that just gets used really badly and robs it of any tension at all. Or is the power of a bad guy and it somehow gets overcome by punching it even harder because. This being Jojo's, I can feel safe in guessing that neither of those will be the case here.

Honestly? In my opinion Gold Experience kind of ends up like Star Platinum mkII. It just doesn't matter as much because Part V does a much better job balancing its cast.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gold Experience kind of gets overshadowed by all the other crazy Stands in Part 5. Sticky Fingers, Moody Blues, Aerosmith, Sex Pistols, etc.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Whenever I think of Part 5 I'm always soured by how lame the ending was. Like, gold experience gives you several options to beat out mr. time-eraser that aren't "I'm Literally Unkillable, I Win"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly? In my opinion Gold Experience kind of ends up like Star Platinum mkII. It just doesn't matter as much because Part V does a much better job balancing its cast.

Did Abaccio or however you spell his name even do anything aside from early on on that boat and late on when uncovering the Passione leader's identity? I don't remember "can rewatch scenes as re-enacted by my stand" ending up useful most of the time.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah that's one of those times where JJBA shows its age.

I disagree. Because the part is set during a specific time in the 90s. I similarly feel that Stardust Crusaders has a very 80s feel to it because of when it's set. Battle Tendency and Phantom Blood stand out from that IMO, as while they're set in specific times, the story elements don't really seem to touch the plots.

I do think manga translators should put little trivia notes at the end of the chapters explaining certain things like that which isn't common knowledge these days. And if we get it animated, maybe translator notes in a text file accompanying the episode?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

a cartoon duck posted:

Did Abaccio or however you spell his name even do anything aside from early on on that boat and late on when uncovering the Passione leader's identity? I don't remember "can rewatch scenes as re-enacted by my stand" ending up useful most of the time.

He does clever stuff with it once or twice. Not as much as the others, admitedly.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Sekkira posted:

I disagree. Because the part is set during a specific time in the 90s. I similarly feel that Stardust Crusaders has a very 80s feel to it because of when it's set. Battle Tendency and Phantom Blood stand out from that IMO, as while they're set in specific times, the story elements don't really seem to touch the plots.

I do think manga translators should put little trivia notes at the end of the chapters explaining certain things like that which isn't common knowledge these days. And if we get it animated, maybe translator notes in a text file accompanying the episode?

I could see them adding in one of those narrator moments where he explains the whole concept right after it happens.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

That would work too.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

a cartoon duck posted:

He uses it to pilot the plane in the Notorious B.I.G chapter. It even puts on a pilots hat and headset.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kabanaw posted:

I could see them adding in one of those narrator moments where he explains the whole concept right after it happens.

Diavolo's King Crimson -EXPLANATION- Part 1.

e:

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 25, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Sekkira posted:

On a tangential note, it's hilarious to me to see how rapidly the Internet develops as a concept in Hunter x Hunter when you consider that the series started in 1998.

Following the Hunter Exam you have Kurapika explaining it to Gon in very clunky, dated terms, only for it to end up a few arcs later as on par if not better than our own Internet even though not even a full year has passed in-universe.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
When the SC gang is about to go scuba diving, Joseph tries to teach them some basic hand signs, (and Polnareff teaches us a more advanced hand sign :allears: ) and then someone says "why don't we just talk through our stands?" and everyone is like "yeah, good call!" Does that just mean that stand users can speak to each other telepathically? Otherwise how would a non-humanoid stand like Hermit Purple talk? Or is this some nonsense like how apparently Zoro in One Piece can communicate with swords in his mouth because he "speaks from his heart"?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, they can talk to each other telepathically. It's portrayed pretty weirdly at times, but stuff like Dark Blue Moon had him doing that and some later stuff does it too. It just kinda happens too, like no one ever explains it and it owns.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There are some stands that straight up talk, Star Platinum makes his own battlecry for example, where Josuke (4) says his own, which probably means CD doesn't.

That was probably just written for the sake of having a joke though and you aren't expected to over-analyse it. It's inconsistent though, because Joseph picking up on Jotaro wanting to cheat D'Arby the Gamer is written as though he instinctively picked up on it, but if they can talk telepathically, that's not really something they'd go for.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sekkira posted:

I don't know what you think I meant, because all I meant by "showing its age" was "this was written in the 90's".

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Abaccio's playable in the part 5 game. Moody Blues does things like record and mirror his movements. Though it's sort of a pain in the rear end, especially when you can win just using Abaccio's badass thug stomps.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Aurain posted:

It's inconsistent though, because Joseph picking up on Jotaro wanting to cheat D'Arby the Gamer is written as though he instinctively picked up on it, but if they can talk telepathically, that's not really something they'd go for.

Maybe when they talk telepathically it's like conventional talking in that it's just as audible as regular speech?

Good grief, I just remembered how I used to watch Kratt's Creatures when I was 7 and 8 and I actually believed that the dialog spoken during the parts where the brothers were scuba diving was actually them talking while they were swimming but in hindsight they must have done the audio later in ADR...unless they were stand users.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Davinci posted:

the real protagonist of Part 4 is the town of Morioh.

the real protagonist of part 4 is the friends we made along the way

a cartoon duck posted:

He made Giorno drink his piss and revealed an impression of Diavolo's face that in retrospect, didn't look like Diavolo at all.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Don't forget about Grey Tower and The Lovers and a bunch of other stands talking and taunting the team. It's not like there wasn't any precedent for that being a thing stands could do, Joseph just forgot about it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Aurain posted:

That was probably just written for the sake of having a joke though and you aren't expected to over-analyse it. It's inconsistent though, because Joseph picking up on Jotaro wanting to cheat D'Arby the Gamer is written as though he instinctively picked up on it, but if they can talk telepathically, that's not really something they'd go for.
While Araki is frequently inconsistent about what stands can and can't do, for that fight at least I always figured that stands talking to stands was like whispering out loud. Normal people can't hear it, sure, but any stand user could.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Aurain posted:

There are some stands that straight up talk, Star Platinum makes his own battlecry for example, where Josuke (4) says his own, which probably means CD doesn't.

Crazy Diamond is definitely the one saying it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Crazy Diamond is definitely the one saying it.

Actually, I think you're right. I may be misremembering because Josuke does do it himself at times.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Davinci posted:

It's not like there wasn't any precedent for that being a thing stands could do, Araki just forgot about it.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Sort of related to stands being able to talk, I kinda wonder what's the logic behind voice casting for the ones who have a different will/personality than that of their user. I know in ASB that Koichi and Echoes Act 3 (and Mista and Sex Pistols in the old Vento Aureo game) share a voice actor, but Whitesnake, GER, and Sex Pistols have a different one from their users. Would a projection of your own soul really not speak in your own voice or is it some arcane voice acting industry/business decision thing? (I know Diavolo and Doppio have different voice actors in ASB too but I'm like 85% sure that was to get Ishida Akira in the game :v:)

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sky High is easily one of the dumbest stands in the entire series.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't know what their logic behind that was, but I don't like half of the voice acting in ASB anyways, so it just compounds another problem. I've never liked stands not being voiced by the same VAs as their users since, as you said, they are an extension of the user's will.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

standard owl posted:

He made Giorno drink his piss and revealed an impression of Diavolo's face that in retrospect, didn't look like Diavolo at all.

...what did that even accomplish? I mean, they get a look at Diavolo's face - but it's totally unimportant, because Diavolo is the one who ends up hunting them (and Polnareff) down. And even so, Polnareff immediately contacts the gang anyway. I get that it was done on Araki's part to show that his death wasn't in vain, but... it kinda was. Normally, he seems pretty good about avoiding pointless deaths. Even the sheer madness and carnage of Part 6's ending had a point to it, where every single one contributed to what ultimately brings down Pucci. But in Part 5, Abaccio dies, the gang is effectively dead in their tracks, and only Polnareff saves the day - and Narancia dies the very second he throws up a single death flag. (Funny enough, not long after they get their stand power-up, which doesn't make any difference whatsoever for anyone...)

Underworld is the superior Moody Blues anyway. :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only stands that should have different voices are truly independent stands like Cheap Trick, though I can see the argument for Sex Pistols because they're all different personalities. Changing their voices up for comedy would work, though I guess the range of the VA plays into it too here.

e: Typo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What did making Giorno drink piss not accomplish?

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Normally, he seems pretty good about avoiding pointless deaths.

I see you've yet to read Steel Ball Run.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Part 5 crew succeeded because they had Giorno with them. Those who survived survived because of Giorno.

In order to gain their trust and join with them in the first place, Giorno had to drink piss tea. The results speak for themselves.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Bad Seafood posted:

The Part 5 crew succeeded because they had Giorno with them. Those who survived survived because of Giorno.

In order to gain their trust and join with them in the first place, Giorno had to drink piss tea. The results speak for themselves.

I guess you could say.....the world will remember only the results.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

What did making Giorno drink piss not accomplish?

i just read that bit again and it owned. giorno turning one of his teeth into a jellyfish so he wouldn't have to drink the piss was funny as hell and one of the best uses of a stand in the series.

also where the gently caress is this month's jojolion

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If Jellyfish are 98% water, does that mean Giorno drank 2% of the piss?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

drink teh piss, giorno

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, i would rather drink 2% piss than whole piss. my taste in milk also mirrors this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Drinking piss: A true Gold Experience.