Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So If I'm going for Dork Knight, I need to level Marauder and what else, Thaumaturge?

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Rei_ posted:

I can't quite figure out what DRKs role is, and the more people I talk to who have started gearing the class up post-60, it sounds like they can't either. It has a loving BOATLOAD of damage mitigation cooldowns, which tells me that you really want it in an MT role more than anything due to its dependency on getting hit in the face to get its abilities going. At the same time, a Paladin is a lot more stable suggestion for that role. As it stands, neither tank class can match up to WAR in terms offtanking effiency and raw damage output... The latter part of which is weird, considering how the two tanks stacked up against eachother in 2.0, but idk

Dark and warrior are pretty much the same Dps from what I've seen of the numbers, the trick if dark is you output so much threat you only need to use your actual emnity combo once, then use the other combos to fuel more darkness ability shenanigans.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Also, I find it incredible how many people have pretty much "finished Heavensward" at this point. As in, class to 60, all quests done, all dungeons done. Geared to the teeth already.

I'm not trying to poo poo on those people, but I think I'm glad that I've been taking things a bit slower. I played hard the first couple days just to get my AST up to 50, but I'm barely into the main quests. I'm level 51, close to 52 and all I've done are the initial questlines in Coerthas Western and Sea of Clouds as well as the Elf Pope meeting after. I feel like I still have so much ahead of me.

I just don't understand those that race to the cap, skip all cutscenes and burn through everything in less than a week and then in another couple weeks are just going to sit around and complain that there's nothing to do,

I've been a big fan of just playing a couple hours a day, taking it casual and just being a slowpoke sightseer. Plus, it allows me to play other games (Like finishing Witcher 3).

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I want my main class to 60 so it can be geared and I can take my time learning all the other new jobs? idk dude people play however they want, calm down

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Mordiceius posted:

Also, I find it incredible how many people have pretty much "finished Heavensward" at this point. As in, class to 60, all quests done, all dungeons done. Geared to the teeth already.

I'm not trying to poo poo on those people, but I think I'm glad that I've been taking things a bit slower. I played hard the first couple days just to get my AST up to 50, but I'm barely into the main quests. I'm level 51, close to 52 and all I've done are the initial questlines in Coerthas Western and Sea of Clouds as well as the Elf Pope meeting after. I feel like I still have so much ahead of me.

I just don't understand those that race to the cap, skip all cutscenes and burn through everything in less than a week and then in another couple weeks are just going to sit around and complain that there's nothing to do,

I've been a big fan of just playing a couple hours a day, taking it casual and just being a slowpoke sightseer. Plus, it allows me to play other games (Like finishing Witcher 3).

I took a week off for Heavensward, going back to work tomorrow and I finished the story this morning and I'm in the process of unlocking the 60 dungeons. For the most part, I did it purely to avoid spoilers, since I'm unironically caremad about the story. Now that it's done I'm going to chill and take some time away from the game since we aren't getting any more content for a week and a half. I had a lot of fun, and progressing at the same rate as your friends is fun. FWIW, I also didn't touch any of the new jobs yet.

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?

Mordiceius posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to 60. I hit 60 Monday. Figuring out the bossfights for each dungeon was fun and challenging. It's not nearly as fun if everyone has an idea of what happens. Now I'm just gearing up so I can start leveling another class.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

who gives a poo poo how other nerds spend their freetime.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Eej posted:

60 Law for Cape Westwind is so good though.

Yesterday was the first time I've ever gotten Westwind for a trial roulette. :iia:

Aug posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to 60. I hit 60 Monday. Figuring out the bossfights for each dungeon was fun and challenging. It's not nearly as fun if everyone has an idea of what happens. Now I'm just gearing up so I can start leveling another class.

:agreed:

Burning through the MSQ during early access was fun in that regard and a ton of people leveling hard early on tend to be people who've cleared T13 and/or savage coil so even when you just used DF you ended up with competent party members who knew how to think fast.

And then you get to one of several fights that uses mechanics directly taken from coil boss fights and your party proceeds to stomp it in to the ground.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ciaphas posted:

Got Ravana story unlocked this morning. Neat cutscenes. Can't wait to tank him blind tonight :ohdear:

Try to be the OT if you can, you have a specific role and it's pretty fun.

On burning through the expansion:

I was gone for 2.5 of the EA days but I've been playing like 5-6 hours a day since and I'm lvl 55 (should hit 56 tonight) and I'm just working on the MSQ with a class I had at 50 already. I'm playing a lot more than I usually do as well (I normally play ~1 hour a day with 3 days at like 3-4 hours).

I don't know how some people have burned all through to 60, fully geared up and are working on their second 60's at this point.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 25, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Everybody who does things differently than you are wrong. You are the main character of the entire universe.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Evil Fluffy posted:

And then you get to one of several fights that uses mechanics directly taken from coil boss fights and your party proceeds to stomp it in to the ground.

As soon as the second boss of the final dungeon used Ballistic Missile, two of us instantly moved to resolve it. It was pretty great.

I'm glad Selene has a party cleanse now though, because the Megaflare pillars during the final boss are kind of a pain with a party which doesn't know what to do.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't think you need to spoiler something that's been in every FF since they introduced Bahamut.
I wish they used the FF10 Bahamut, he was so goddamn metal.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rei_ posted:

MCH is really fun and will probably get more fun as people figure it out more but it does actually have some serious problems that lead to either overexertion through in-depth micromanagement or just a shockingly bad output of damage. The micromanagement thing is a huge problem because it means in any sort of high-end fight you have a class that is required to be more focused on its rotation than mechanics, simply to keep up with everyone else, and that leads to a lot of problems.

I can't quite figure out what DRKs role is, and the more people I talk to who have started gearing the class up post-60, it sounds like they can't either. It has a loving BOATLOAD of damage mitigation cooldowns, which tells me that you really want it in an MT role more than anything due to its dependency on getting hit in the face to get its abilities going. At the same time, a Paladin is a lot more stable suggestion for that role. As it stands, neither tank class can match up to WAR in terms offtanking effiency and raw damage output... The latter part of which is weird, considering how the two tanks stacked up against eachother in 2.0, but idk

I'd wait until Alex Savage or even 3.1 to see how they balance classes out but as it stands w/r/t Warrior supremacy but DRK is a fine MT (Reprisal stacking with Path is hilarious) and an okay OT (Delirium gives you more flexibility in group comp aka No Monks Allowed). I think the real issue is that DRKs have no free on GCD abilities to give them a TP break, making them more reliant on Spire, Goad or hoovering up Rook/Paeon with the other melee DPS.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Saigyouji posted:

As soon as the second boss of the final dungeon used Ballistic Missile, two of us instantly moved to resolve it. It was pretty great.

Same experience for all the similarly themed mechanics in my experience. It has been a wonderful time at 60 so far, especially the final trial :allears:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Well, I had 5 days off (Friday - Tuesday) and while I kept a normal sleep/meal schedule those days I spent most of the rest of the time playing FF14. I got 60 on my smn/sch late Tuesday afternoon. I primarily did this for story reasons, I wanted to get through the story so I could safely read about the game elsewhere without having to worry about spoilers (and I'm glad I did). I don't think it's that much different from binging on a new RPG for a couple days when it comes out. I also wanted to get a character at 60 so I could get one out of the way and start focusing on collecting gear for it and trying the other classes I wanted to play at a more leisurely pace. So yeah I don't know why the assumption is if you're shooting for 60 quickly you don't care about the story or don't have a valid reason for doing so.

I also don't understand why people even care about that sort of stuff in the first place. I mean, I've certainly got no problem with people taking leveling at a more leisurely pace, but it always seems like there are people going "omg how can you just rush to cap super quickly and get everything done?!" like it's a bad thing.

cathead fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 25, 2015

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Eej posted:

I'd wait until Alex Savage or even 3.1 to see how they balance classes out but as it stands w/r/t Warrior supremacy but DRK is a fine MT (Reprisal stacking with Path is hilarious) and an okay OT (Delirium gives you more flexibility in group comp aka No Monks Allowed). I think the real issue is that DRKs have no free on GCD abilities to give them a TP break, making them more reliant on Spire, Goad or hoovering up Rook/Paeon with the other melee DPS.

PLD is really in the same boat, ignoring time spent casting their new heal, except DRK is actually better off since they have a really good DoT that only costs 60TP, and since their ranged attack costs MP instead of a whole bunch of TP they can spend GCDs on that if they absolutely run out of TP, or if they find themselves out of range of their target and between combos.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
There are extremes, like when I saw DRK60s running around on Saturday night I was just like "jesus christ" because that is literally insane levels of sitting in front of the computer all day. But as we started to come into the beginning of the week I'd say that was fairly normal completion times for someone on an old job.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Popehoist posted:

There are extremes, like when I saw DRK60s running around on Saturday night I was just like "jesus christ" because that is literally insane levels of sitting in front of the computer all day. But as we started to come into the beginning of the week I'd say that was fairly normal completion times for someone on an old job.

I'm rather impressed by them as I pretty much spent every waking moment playing from the moment the servers went up but I farted around a lot and took long breaks to keep me from getting carpal tunnel so bad it applies retroactively.

I bet they didn't clear Tam Tara regular in 3 minutes soon after the servers were loginable for shits and giggles :smug:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Klades posted:

PLD is really in the same boat, ignoring time spent casting their new heal, except DRK is actually better off since they have a really good DoT that only costs 60TP, and since their ranged attack costs MP instead of a whole bunch of TP they can spend GCDs on that if they absolutely run out of TP, or if they find themselves out of range of their target and between combos.

Paladins have always been able to use Bulwark or cast Stoneskin at specific times in a fight to recover TP. With Shelltron they can use it on cooldown to get more Shield Swipes (which now have an emnity bonus) to save TP or use it instead of Bulwark to mitigate a single tankbuster attack, letting them use Bulwark more freely as a DPS and TP cooldown. Along with Clemency that's four buttons that Paladins can press to save TP while doing something useful with their GCD (even more so now that PLD Stoneskin is the same as WHM Stoneskin!). Hell, you can even cast Protect when someone is rezzed to save your healers the GCD or two.

I mean I guess you could use Unmend as a filler between combos to save TP but that's definitely deep into the Feelbad Zone.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Eej posted:

Paladins have always been able to use Bulwark or cast Stoneskin at specific times in a fight to recover TP. With Shelltron they can use it on cooldown to get more Shield Swipes (which now have an emnity bonus) to save TP or use it instead of Bulwark to mitigate a single tankbuster attack, letting them use Bulwark more freely as a DPS and TP cooldown. Along with Clemency that's four buttons that Paladins can press to save TP while doing something useful with their GCD (even more so now that PLD Stoneskin is the same as WHM Stoneskin!). Hell, you can even cast Protect when someone is rezzed to save your healers the GCD or two.

I mean I guess you could use Unmend as a filler between combos to save TP but that's definitely deep into the Feelbad Zone.

Ah, yeah, I forgot about Bulwark+Shield Swipe.
Yeah, DRK TP recovery is crappy.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I thought about taking DRK to 60 as part of the expansion, but rightly guessed that tank queues were going to be completely hosed glue the first week of HW and didn't want to end up hating the class from overexposure the way I did scholar.

Plus, it gives me a chance to learn the dungeons as a dps before trying to tank them.

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007
I've had an itch to start playing this game again. I played a Paladin to level ~37 or something and then had to quit because I didn't really have any spare MMO time. If I just want to dip my toes in again should I buy Heavensward? Are there any graphical upgrades or quality of life changes or something? If not I guess I'll just get myself a month and continue the story.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eej posted:

Speaking of Paladin rotations: what's your tanking rotation looking like? I'm generally doing Goring Blade -> Halone -> Authority, but I'm finding it difficult to keep both Halone and Goring Blade up if I'm trying to fit in Shield Swipes as well as using Royal Authority. Should I just nix Royal Authority in favor of keeping up Halone/Goring, or simply do fewer Shield Swipes?

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
What kind of QoL features did the expansion add? I last played during 2.2, and I hated the inventory system and everything to do with Retainers.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Fluegel posted:

I've had an itch to start playing this game again. I played a Paladin to level ~37 or something and then had to quit because I didn't really have any spare MMO time. If I just want to dip my toes in again should I buy Heavensward? Are there any graphical upgrades or quality of life changes or something? If not I guess I'll just get myself a month and continue the story.

I asked this a few pages ago. No QoL stuff or anything so you can hold off if you want.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fluegel posted:

Pretty much all Heavensward content is only available after finishing ARR's main story quests, so if you're unsure, you can wait until you finish MSQ 2.55 to see if you want to continue on. The final cutscene stops on a cliffhanger and leaves with a "ALL WILL BE REVEALED WHEN WE GO HEAVESNWARD" or something like that, but so far HW content is pretty amazing.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Fluegel posted:

Get another month of game time. The expansion will not influence your game play at all until you hit 50 and beat all of the main story quests up until 2.55. The expansion did update the game with DX11 support for everyone, so you can enjoy that without the expansion.

Elswyyr posted:

What kind of QoL features did the expansion add? I last played during 2.2, and I hated the inventory system and everything to do with Retainers.

You can custom-sort your inventory now with slash commands (and can look up pre-made macros if you're lazy), and I don't know why you'd hate everything to do with retainers when they have a minimal game impact and you can safely ignore them. :v:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I got to the last zone this morning

:psylon:

final fantasy's pretty loving weird and amazing y'all, i'm glad this is definately final fantasy game

But naturally there were more Moogle sidequests waiting for me in the Churning Mists at 59, because there always are. I'm fairly certain now the Moogle Sidequests are being procedurally generated like in Skyrim or something

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 25, 2015

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pretty much the only reason to buy HW before hitting the end of 2.55 is if you want to play as a dragonman instead of one of the stock races, since the three new classes are storygated in ishgard and all the QoL bonuses (100% armory bonus instead of 50%, etc.) are available to base game havers.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Klades posted:

Ah, yeah, I forgot about Bulwark+Shield Swipe.
Yeah, DRK TP recovery is crappy.

What on earth are you spending that much tp on

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Vermain posted:

Speaking of Paladin rotations: what's your tanking rotation looking like? I'm generally doing Goring Blade -> Halone -> Authority, but I'm finding it difficult to keep both Halone and Goring Blade up if I'm trying to fit in Shield Swipes as well as using Royal Authority. Should I just nix Royal Authority in favor of keeping up Halone/Goring, or simply do fewer Shield Swipes?

I'm leveling DRK right now and I haven't really done any Actual Hard Content yet (that's actually code for Ravana EX) but from a pure damage perspective, Authority does 100+200+340 = 640 Potency, average of 213 per GCD. Shield Swipe does 210 + additional emnity. I think it's safe to say that you shouldn't Swipe in the middle of your Authority combo unless you are hurting for aggro. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you should keep using Authority as filler and if you can't hold all these Swipes and Halone falls off, just do a Halone combo at the next opportunity as long as Goring Blade isn't going to fall off. Exceptions to be made if you definitely need Halone up for an upcoming physical tankbuster is coming up that you definitely want to reduce the damage of (think Flatten).

All conjecture, of course.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

What on earth are you spending that much tp on

DRK single target combos are all slightly more spendy than the base TP regen rate. They have few-to-no on-GCD free-or-discounted abilities (Shield Swipe, etc.) to help them spend less, and no TP regen abilities.

Eventually, unless you just stop hitting things, you run out.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

cathead posted:

Well, I had 5 days off (Friday - Tuesday) and while I kept a normal sleep/meal schedule those days I spent most of the rest of the time playing FF14. I got 60 on my smn/sch late Tuesday afternoon. I primarily did this for story reasons, I wanted to get through the story so I could safely read about the game elsewhere without having to worry about spoilers (and I'm glad I did). I don't think it's that much different from binging on a new RPG for a couple days when it comes out. I also wanted to get a character at 60 so I could get one out of the way and start focusing on collecting gear for it and trying the other classes I wanted to play at a more leisurely pace. So yeah I don't know why the assumption is if you're shooting for 60 quickly you don't care about the story or don't have a valid reason for doing so.

I also don't understand why people even care about that sort of stuff in the first place. I mean, I've certainly got no problem with people taking leveling at a more leisurely pace, but it always seems like there are people going "omg how can you just rush to cap super quickly and get everything done?!" like it's a bad thing.

Oh I did not intend on the post coming across condescending or anything and it doesn't apply to most people. There is however that small subset that will race to complete everything within the first week and then sit around and do nothing but stand there. I just don't understand those. Albeit, however, I feel there are less of those people in this game than most MMOs. They tend to be just come across as some of the most annoying.

It's like the guy that ground Indolent Imperial for Fenrir and then would sit around in Mor Dhona for hours or whenever they would enter a new zone, they would announce their presence.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Personally, I'm gonna go back and rewatch the cutscenes in the inn once things have died down and I don't have much to do. I don't really have any regrets about skipping through everything, though--for me, the max-level stuff is the game, and all the low-level poo poo is the tax I have to pay to get the game I actually want.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Dreadwroth posted:

So If I'm going for Dork Knight, I need to level Marauder and what else, Thaumaturge?

Neither, none of the new Jobs require prerequisite classes. I mean on one hand, cool. On the other hand it does throw the feel of the rest of the game out of whack. Of course I'm also of the opinion that locking the classes behind the expansion was a dumb move.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eej posted:

I'm leveling DRK right now and I haven't really done any Actual Hard Content yet (that's actually code for Ravana EX) but from a pure damage perspective, Authority does 100+200+340 = 640 Potency, average of 213 per GCD. Shield Swipe does 210 + additional emnity. I think it's safe to say that you shouldn't Swipe in the middle of your Authority combo unless you are hurting for aggro. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you should keep using Authority as filler and if you can't hold all these Swipes and Halone falls off, just do a Halone combo at the next opportunity as long as Goring Blade isn't going to fall off. Exceptions to be made if you definitely need Halone up for an upcoming physical tankbuster is coming up that you definitely want to reduce the damage of (think Flatten).

All conjecture, of course.

Seems like good conjecture; thanks. I'm the exact opposite of a math guy, so it's hard for me to make judgments about what's more damage-efficient.

Arthil posted:

Neither, none of the new Jobs require prerequisite classes. I mean on one hand, cool. On the other hand it does throw the feel of the rest of the game out of whack. Of course I'm also of the opinion that locking the classes behind the expansion was a dumb move.

More specifically, Dark Knight uses Marauder and Gladiator cross-class skills. You want Marauder up to, at the very least, level 2 to get Foresight, and Gladiator up to 22 for Provoke (although 34 for Awareness is ideal).

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Endings posted:

DRK single target combos are all slightly more spendy than the base TP regen rate. They have few-to-no on-GCD free-or-discounted abilities (Shield Swipe, etc.) to help them spend less, and no TP regen abilities.

Eventually, unless you just stop hitting things, you run out.

Yeah, and so do warriors, who run into that problem much more quickly than dark knights do. It's a total nonfactor because by the time you need a TP injection as a DRK the boss is either dead or the inevitable bard/mch has dropped TP regen on the group for the other people who need it sooner.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

Not just everything: Ravana takes more damage during red phase. It's not a "realistic" number for most scenarios.

Yes, I know. My 9k Fire 4 was on that phase too, which is why I didn't mention it.

Actually I'm kinda salivating on the thought of what my Fire 4s would hit 4 if we had a Bard and I saved my CDs for that phase.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 25, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Yeah, and so do warriors, who run into that problem much more quickly than dark knights do. It's a total nonfactor because by the time you need a TP injection as a DRK the boss is either dead or the inevitable bard/mch has dropped TP regen on the group for the other people who need it sooner.

Warriors can stance dance into Deliverance (if actually tanking) and hit Equilibrium for 200 TP every minute. That puts them way ahead of other tanks in TP management even if it means they miss out on one of their Fell Cleaves.

e: I'm dumb and Equilibrium doesn't use stacks

Eej fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

Seems like good conjecture; thanks. I'm the exact opposite of a math guy, so it's hard for me to make judgments about what's more damage-efficient.

More specifically, Dark Knight uses Marauder and Gladiator cross-class skills. You want Marauder up to, at the very least, level 2 to get Foresight, and Gladiator up to 22 for Provoke (although 34 for Awareness is ideal).

While we're talking about cross class abilities, what are the 5 you'd want on your DRK?

On my WAR I've been using provoke, feather foot, convalescence, second wind and flash. Wondering if feather foot is even worth a drat for me.

• Locked thread