Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I think those are all good reasons for them to do it, I'm not arguing with their business decision. As a consumer, it just bugs me though. Also, it's not the sex being anachronistic (sex is universal and beautiful and blah blah) but sex appeal being used front and center in games that is. It's slowly been toning down in western games over the last several years.

-bloodychill, frequent masturbator
iunno i think games with sex appeal front and center... are fine? if you really dislike it then vote with your wallet and don't buy it. yeah it sucks to miss out on something you might otherwise enjoy but there are plenty of other things to buy.

i dont think a game needs to have sex appeal to be good and ive pretty much never bought a game just for sex appeal but it doesn't really bug me and i don't mind it when it happens so long as it doesn't go full Criminal Girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Sex appeal would be fine if it wasn't handled like an autist poking a lab specimen (that might also be his sister or something)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
if they censor FE:Fates i'm taking the decision all the way to Sex Appeals Court

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fates isn't even being translated by the same team that did Awakening, so we have no idea how it'll handle or tone the text.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Chie only wants to become a police officer so she'll have access to better gear for her personal dungeon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erebus posted:

Sex appeal would be fine if it wasn't handled like an autist poking a lab specimen
sometimes i pat my girlfriend on the head or stroke her cheek

that is fairly normal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

physical affection? I literally can't comprehend this - something someone who is definitely not autistic would say

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I will pet everyone's faces but when they disappoint me with bad levels I'll pet them just a little bit less

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

that is fairly normal

I dont think anybody's arguing this endorph...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The real question is whether or not I get to force feed my big-breasted step sister little poke-puffs magical pastries to raise her stats and make her breasts bigger for IMPORTANT STRATEGIC REASONS

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tae posted:

Fates isn't even being translated by the same team that did Awakening, so we have no idea how it'll handle or tone the text.

That's a shame. 8-4 are really good localizers.

Endorph posted:

that is fairly normal

Is your girlfriend your sister.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 25, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Morpheus posted:

The real question is whether or not I get to force feed my big-breasted step sister little poke-puffs magical pastries to raise her stats and make her breasts bigger for IMPORTANT STRATEGIC REASONS

The amie thing literally does nothing other than I think maybe support points.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Endorph posted:

that is fairly normal

Don't be so disingenuous, you're just making the conversation as annoying as it possibly can be.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Nothing wrong with raising the stats of your female party members by throwing toys and oils into their daily bath.

Some of the dream invasions could get p hosed up though!

(AT2, aka the 'good one'!). Although there are some nice parts to the game in there, namely the setting and music.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wendell posted:

Don't be so disingenuous, you're just making the conversation as annoying as it possibly can be.
trust me nothing i can do can make this worse or better

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wendell posted:

You mean this conversation about a completely optional mechanic that's barely 1% of a full-featured 84 chapter Strategy RPG is annoying? I can't imagine why.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Because of the endless snark, I think.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think something slightly more complicated about FE is that you're not just choosing which of your big-breasted sisters to marry. I mean, you have an avatar and obviously it's implied that that's you, but you're also playing matchmaker to every single person in your army. So you're also choosing to set-up your big-breasted sister with the handsome chin-man.

...I'm not entirely sure where I was going with this, but I just think it's relevant that not all the sexiness is targeted directly at you, the player. If it was, I think marrying everyone off to other people would be offensive to the audience in some way (you see this in harem anime: they have to remain faithful and pure).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Drawing a blank on any jrpgs other than Suikoden 2 that had good sibling portrayal and I am being generous about Suikoden 2 since you have a silent protagonist.

I'd like to say Nier but I have no idea what all they changed when they made the Old Man special edition just for us.

[e] NO. Not ff13.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Valkyria Chronicles

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the older sister in atelier totori was pretty stock 'big sister that is basically younger sibling's mom' but it was well-written enough and cute.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Cake Attack posted:

Valkyria Chronicles

But that's only because they decided to kill off one of them before things got awkward.

Other than that: perhaps Atelier Ayesha?
And FF4, if you don't mind squabbling siblings.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rascyc posted:

[e] NO. Not ff13.

You can deny this all you want but the whole Lightning/Snow/Serah thing between XIII/XIII-2 reflected more than a few experiences with myself, my kid sister, and some terrible dudes she dated. That felt real as poo poo. Someone on that staff had a younger sibling.

I can't speak to whether LR kept that going or not because loving august goddamnit are you serious Square

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Drawing a blank on any jrpgs other than Suikoden 2 that had good sibling portrayal and I am being generous about Suikoden 2 since you have a silent protagonist.

I'd like to say Nier but I have no idea what all they changed when they made the Old Man special edition just for us.

[e] NO. Not ff13.

Trails in the Sky? Joshua and Estelle have a pretty good dynamic.

(of course I haven't made it through the whole thing yet and there is some very annoying romantic tension being shown between the two (adopted) siblings, so. :v:)

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i'm a big sister

in bof2 a little sister shows love for a big sister by becoming a bird

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dmboogie posted:

(of course I haven't made it through the whole thing yet and there is some very annoying romantic tension being shown between the two (adopted) siblings, so. :v:)

Uh...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dmboogie posted:

im sorry for your loss

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

goddammit

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i DEMAND that the joke for trail in the sky, a game i have not played, is explained to me

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they end up together.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

im sorry for your loss

:v:

I thought they handled it pretty well to be honest though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What do you mean "good," like not trying to actively kill each other? Fire Emblem alone has: Eirika/Epharaim, Ike/Mist, Boyd/Oscar/Rolf, Lissa/Chrom, a bunch of siblings in the Tales series, Suikoden V, that summoner trio in FFX, and I'm sure there's more.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's cute, and good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah its really not weird. Cassius takes in Joshua 5 years before the game starts, and he has a crush on Estelle the entire time

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

dmboogie posted:

Haha, sorry. I mean it becomes painfully obvious very quick even if you are only like Anime Level 2 in experience.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah its really not weird. Cassius takes in Joshua 5 years before the game starts, and he has a crush on Estelle the entire time

Alright yeah, fair enough. :v:

Technically cousins, but the protag's relationship with Nanako in Persona 4 is pretty good.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
God how did I forget about P4. Yeah, Nanako/MC are a great pair

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

You can deny this all you want but the whole Lightning/Snow/Serah thing between XIII/XIII-2 reflected more than a few experiences with myself, my kid sister, and some terrible dudes she dated. That felt real as poo poo. Someone on that staff had a younger sibling.

I can't speak to whether LR kept that going or not because loving august goddamnit are you serious Square

If you read her journal-thing in LR Lightning does quite a lot of reflecting on her relationship with Serah. I liked it :shrug:

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 25, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Snowe in LR is hilarious because he goes full emo and dresses entirely in black suits while doing lots of drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

corn in the bible posted:

Snowe in LR is hilarious because he goes full emo and dresses entirely in black suits while doing lots of drugs

Yeah, that's what one of those dudes did when she broke up with him, so I guess LR keeps the chain going.