Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

chaosbreather posted:

Having all this Taylor Swift and Apple talk is making an already difficult to google programming language even less googleable.

What if it's all, like, on purpose?

Follow the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, it's that time of year again. Where I try to switch to Safari from Chrome for good.

I imagine this is what quitting smoking must be like.

THIS TIME IT'LL TAKE!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Welp, it's that time of year again. Where I try to switch to Safari from Chrome for good.

I imagine this is what quitting smoking must be like.

THIS TIME IT'LL TAKE!

I made the switch last year. Turns out I don't need all those doodads in Chrome!

Though I do miss the extension that replaces any mention of Jesus, Christ, or God with the words poo poo, pie, and bukkake.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

tuyop posted:

I made the switch last year. Turns out I don't need all those doodads in Chrome!

Though I do miss the extension that replaces any mention of Jesus, Christ, or God with the words poo poo, pie, and bukkake.

I managed it a few years back. Having an iOS device makes it a lot more pleasant, especially with handoff and device tabs. Plus my sweet, sweet battery life.

Did a clean install not so long ago and forgot to install any extensions past uBlock, seems YouTube5 isn't really needed now, even Facebook play nice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a go-to "sync" thing for Safari -> Chrome bookmarks? I have like 5 Macs so i'm like 99% covered by my Safari switch, but I also have one Windows laptop I use. If I install iCloud control panel, will it sync Bookmarks to Chrome on Windows?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Martytoof posted:

Is there a go-to "sync" thing for Safari -> Chrome bookmarks? I have like 5 Macs so i'm like 99% covered by my Safari switch, but I also have one Windows laptop I use. If I install iCloud control panel, will it sync Bookmarks to Chrome on Windows?
Yeah, it should sync to both Chrome and Firefox.

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

What's the best remote desktop app for macs? Or is there a built-in one? Just got my first ever MacBook pro and would like to have the option to control it with my iPhone every now and then.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I've had a good experience with Screens. A writeup on the Sweet Setup, which also recommends it: http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/the-best-remote-access-solution-for-mac-and-ios/

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Neron posted:

What's the best remote desktop app for macs? Or is there a built-in one? Just got my first ever MacBook pro and would like to have the option to control it with my iPhone every now and then.

If you are looking for something free, TeamViewer works great.

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

Screens looks nice, but €30 is a bit too much for my needs. TeamViewer seems to work fine so I'll go with that. Thanks for the suggestions.

amar
Mar 5, 2014

thegreatcodfish posted:

If you are looking for something free, TeamViewer works great.

Screenhero can be tried. There is also join.me (used to work good).

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

tuyop posted:

Is there SALR for Safari (theres one from like 10 years ago but does that still work)

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Neron posted:

Just wanted to chime in with nomachine. It is easy to set up, free, cross platform edit: including ios/android, and if you were to use it over WAN or something it wouldn't be unusably slow. If all you want to do is like, start/stop movies or something from your phone it might be a little overkill (but then again so is teamviewer if all you want is a remote keyboard/mouse through your phone).

But yeah, I highly recommend nomachine if your usage case includes "using remote desktop outside of my local network"

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Is there SALR for Safari (theres one from like 10 years ago but does that still work)

I haven't checked, but google makes me think no. I do most of my forumsing on the Awful app on an iPad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
has anyone had an issue with iMessage on their Mac? I h ave a 2013 Macbook Air with Yosemite, and it just won't sign into iMessage. It keeps saying "cannot connect, check network connection." I definitely have a solid internet connection. Thoughts?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Did you check the iMessage status on Apples website? iMessage has been down a bit over the last few days.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm crashing every day at this point. here's the system log from around the crash. any potential causes?

code:
6/24/15 6:55:50.789 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:55:50.869 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLRequest]           DEBUG Found cached model in memory for configKey:Scoreboard  url: [url]http://gdx.mlb.com/components/game/mlb/year_2015/month_06/da[/url]
                                                                           y_24/scoreboard_mac.xml.
6/24/15 6:55:50.879 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLRequest]           DEBUG Found cached model in memory for configKey:Scoreboard  url: [url]http://gdx.mlb.com/components/game/mlb/year_2015/month_06/da[/url]
                                                                           y_23/scoreboard_mac.xml.
6/24/15 6:55:50.879 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLRequest]           DEBUG Found cached model in memory for configKey:Scoreboard  url: [url]http://gdx.mlb.com/components/game/mlb/year_2015/month_06/da[/url]
                                                                           y_25/scoreboard_mac.xml.
6/24/15 6:55:51.789 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:55:52.788 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:55:53.789 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:55:54.789 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:55:55.789 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:55:55.879 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLRequest]           DEBUG Found cached model in memory for configKey:Scoreboard  url: [url]http://gdx.mlb.com/components/game/mlb/year_2015/month_06/da[/url]
                                                                           y_24/scoreboard_mac.xml.
6/24/15 6:55:55.893 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLRequest]           DEBUG Found cached model in memory for configKey:Scoreboard  url: [url]http://gdx.mlb.com/components/game/mlb/year_2015/month_06/da[/url]
                                                                           y_23/scoreboard_mac.xml.
6/24/15 6:55:55.894 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLRequestCache]      DEBUG Removing expired model for key:Scoreboard url:[url]http://gdx.mlb.com/components/game/mlb/year_2015/month_06/day_25/scoreboar[/url]
                                                                           d_mac.xml.
6/24/15 6:55:56.636 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:didReceiveTimedMetadata:].
6/24/15 6:55:56.637 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:slateImageDidChange:].
6/24/15 6:55:56.652 PM WindowServer[149]: Surface testing disallowed updates for 10 sequential attempts...
6/24/15 6:55:56.663 PM WindowServer[149]: Surface test allowed updates after 11 attempts
6/24/15 6:55:56.788 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:55:57.788 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:55:58.789 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:55:59.789 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:56:00.789 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:56:00.894 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLRequestCache]      DEBUG Removing expired model for key:Scoreboard url:[url]http://gdx.mlb.com/components/game/mlb/year_2015/month_06/day_24/scoreboar[/url]
                                                                           d_mac.xml.
6/24/15 6:56:01.037 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLRequestCache]      DEBUG Removing expired model for key:Scoreboard url:[url]http://gdx.mlb.com/components/game/mlb/year_2015/month_06/day_23/scoreboar[/url]
                                                                           d_mac.xml.
6/24/15 6:56:01.039 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLRequest]           DEBUG Found cached model in memory for configKey:Scoreboard  url: [url]http://gdx.mlb.com/components/game/mlb/year_2015/month_06/da[/url]
                                                                           y_25/scoreboard_mac.xml.
6/24/15 6:56:01.788 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:56:02.788 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:56:03.789 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:56:04.275 PM WindowServer[149]: Surface testing disallowed updates for 10 sequential attempts...
6/24/15 6:56:04.302 PM WindowServer[149]: Surface test allowed updates after 15 attempts
6/24/15 6:56:04.789 PM MLB.TV[1325]: 	[MLBVideoPlayerView]  MEDIA -[MLBVideoPlayerView videoController:currentPlayerTimeDidUpdate:itemDuration:].
6/24/15 6:56:51.000 PM bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1435186611 0
6/24/15 6:56:55.000 PM syslogd[38]: Configuration Notice:
ASL Module "com.apple.AccountPolicyHelper" claims selected messages.
Those messages may not appear in standard system log files or in the ASL database.
ASL Module "com.apple.authd" sharing output destination "/var/log/asl" with ASL Module "com.apple.asl".
Output parameters from ASL Module "com.apple.asl" override any specified in ASL Module "com.apple.authd".
ASL Module "com.apple.authd" sharing output destination "/var/log/system.log" with ASL Module "com.apple.asl".
Output parameters from ASL Module "com.apple.asl" override any specified in ASL Module "com.apple.authd".
ASL Module "com.apple.authd" claims selected messages.
Those messages may not appear in standard system log files or in the ASL database.
ASL Module "com.apple.awdd" claims selected messages.

given how many events are there due to MLB player, i'm guessing it's that. i guess i just want to verify it's that and not some subtle memory leak or overheating issue or anything else.

thanks for your help in advance.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 25, 2015

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Abel Wingnut posted:

i'm crashing every day at this point. here's the system log from around the crash. any potential causes?

Can you post the newest 'Kernel_<date>_<computername>.panic' file found in Console.app or in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports instead?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Regarding remote desktop apps: What's the easiest way for me to download stuff to a Mac at work, while at home? Any one of those mentioned above, or are they mainly for more advanced stuff? If I can log on to my work Mac with a an ipad/iphone it's a plus, but not a must.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Regarding remote desktop apps: What's the easiest way for me to download stuff to a Mac at work, while at home? Any one of those mentioned above, or are they mainly for more advanced stuff? If I can log on to my work Mac with a an ipad/iphone it's a plus, but not a must.

There are a few options for just downloading stuff. uTorrent and Deluge both have online clients that sort of work all the time. There are also download managers that have web UIs for managing your downloads remotely.

I'd rather use those than a remote desktop program, personally.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xabi posted:

Do you want to move stuff from your work computer to your home computer? If it's just a few files every other day, I'd probably just use scp.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Xabi posted:

I think TeamViewer has file sharing

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Team viewer has a low limit on file sizes, I think 25M is the limit. Best off setting up Dropbox on both and just using it as a drop box.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

tuyop posted:

There are a few options for just downloading stuff. uTorrent and Deluge both have online clients that sort of work all the time. There are also download managers that have web UIs for managing your downloads remotely.

I'd rather use those than a remote desktop program, personally.
Thanks! Remote utorrent seems perfect if it works. I only want to (ab)use the sick connection at work for downloading and uploading torrents.

Edit: or maybe not, as access to the utorrent client won't let me browse new torrents...? Hm.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Thanks! Remote utorrent seems perfect if it works. I only want to (ab)use the sick connection at work for downloading and uploading torrents.

Edit: or maybe not, as access to the utorrent client won't let me browse new torrents...? Hm.

Well you have to copy the magnet link to your totally legit P2P file sharing torrents into the Web UI. You get the magnet links from whatever torrent indexing site you're using for this potentially legal purpose.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
My setup for my mac server thing is having my transmission and nzb watch directories on dropbox. Then I just have to put the files in the right directory and they just start downloading.

A bit more complicated, but I also have an nginx web server that proxies that stuff and the port forwarded so I can reach it. It also forwards the ssh port, so with the dynamic dns always pointing back to that machine I can use scp/sftp as well.

Another option if you are using another mac at work and use your same iCloud account you can turn on Back to My Mac and it will tunnel file sharing and screen sharing services for you.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

chimz posted:

Can you post the newest 'Kernel_<date>_<computername>.panic' file found in Console.app or in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports instead?

i'm not seeing an .panics. nor am i seeing any files starting with 'kernel_'. a ton of 'powerstats_', though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xabi posted:

I hope you have small overworked IT team. Torrent traffic lights up our monitoring agents like a christmas tree.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Neat, EasySIMBL injection isn't working from 10.11. Looks like that's off the table. And I was so looking forward to testing out some Safari injected extension.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

flosofl posted:

I hope you have small overworked IT team. Torrent traffic lights up our monitoring agents like a christmas tree.
Gonna echo what flosofl said here, don't be too surprised if your IT team notice it and you get nicely asked to leave because they don't want any legal fallout coming back on them.

I would've thought this would go without saying but I'd have to strongly advise against doing this sort of thing at your workplace.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah my work PC sees 500/500, I wouldn't torrent on it, our NOC aren't retarded. I IRC on it tho

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you use Fluid to wrap Inbox, does it function as an open Chrome tab? Does it have the same impact on battery life as using Chrome regularly?

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

I scanned the last few pages and I didn't see this asked or answered, forgive me if this is a repeat and please advise if this is the wrong place to ask this question. Anyhow, the question is:

I'm trying to do a mobileconfig file for iOS and macs. We would like to sign it using something that the iOS and Mac devices will see as a verified key rather than self-sign since we are working on helping our users understand SSL and the whole chain of trust and such. We could go and purchase a certificate but we've got the mac developer program so we can generate a certificate there. What I can't seem to find is exactly which sort of mac developer certificate I'd need to use -- is there any guidance on this somewhere on the interwebs? Or has anyone successfully done this.

And also, if mac developer certificates won't work, will a godaddy code signing certificate work or do we need something beefier?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kode54 posted:

Neat, EasySIMBL injection isn't working from 10.11. Looks like that's off the table. And I was so looking forward to testing out some Safari injected extension.
Sounds like it should work? https://twitter.com/hbangws/status/608170969174147072

Code injection tends to break every major update for security or other reasons since I dunno, 10.6 or 10.7? They find workarounds when that happens.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
That's related to this, right?

http://blog.binaryage.com/on-el-capitan/

edit: Oh. I just read the Twitter conversation. Interesting.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I recently got a Magic Trackpad for the imac. However, for some reason I can't swipe back and forth in Safari, like I can on my Macbook - and like I apparently should've been able to here as well. However, I've got a Wacom tablet as well and I suspect some settings from the tablet is messing things up. Do any of you have a clue?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

What are the settings in System Preferences > Trackpad?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Default settings, so accordring to those I should be able to swipe. Somehow, I believe the Wacom settings are overriding the default settings but I can't seem to solve it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

crazysim posted:

That's related to this, right?

http://blog.binaryage.com/on-el-capitan/

edit: Oh. I just read the Twitter conversation. Interesting.
Yeah more or less, particularly with Finder and Dock being among the protected system files. Code injection works at runtime though while afaik rootless has to do with file modification? So that might be why Safari works, although realistically I would think Safari should be protected too.

Xabi posted:

I recently got a Magic Trackpad for the imac. However, for some reason I can't swipe back and forth in Safari, like I can on my Macbook - and like I apparently should've been able to here as well. However, I've got a Wacom tablet as well and I suspect some settings from the tablet is messing things up. Do any of you have a clue?
Tried restarting? Just mentioning it cause I had some weird issues with my trackpad the other day. Swiping to go back and forth only went part way and locked a page, pinch and double tap zooming didn't work, rotation didn't work in Preview, etc. I have BetterTouchTool and quitting that didn't do anything, but a restart got it all working fine again.

Other than the Wacom stuff, if you happen to have other trackpad things (like BTT) make sure that's updated and/or try quitting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Yeah, I've restarted and deleted the Wacom tablet software. Didn't help unfortunately. Strangely, I can swipe back and forth in Chrome, but not in Safari.

e. nevermind, problem solved: An extension from ways back was the guilty party.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 27, 2015