Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zelder posted:

The 4th of July is the perfect day for Splat Fest. The winning team can gloat in victory, and the losing team can call the winners losers for playing a video game instead of being outside! Everyone wins!

I'm going with this. Besides, you can't take a couple hours out of an entire 24-hour day to fight for the glory of your chosen team? Most 4th of July stuff doesn't go down until the evening anyway.

Now, I could understand if you'll be out of town for that day, but otherwise people getting upset about it are blowing it out of proportion. It's a weekend. People will be off work. Perfect time for Splatting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I will be out of town that day so this news saddens me :(

However, I will probably bring my Wii U and hope that I can get a few rounds in.

Dogs for life woof woof

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Isn't Splatfest a two day event? Or is it really an all-nighter? When did the Japanese one end, anyway?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Rexroom posted:

Isn't Splatfest a two day event? Or is it really an all-nighter? When did the Japanese one end, anyway?

24 hours.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah that seems kinda hosed up :stonk:.

Some of Callie and Marie's lines could be interpreted as them talking about eating octopus and squid.

Perhaps the future is a far more savage place than all the hip music and fresh accessories would have you think.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Inkopolis is basically the Capitol from Hunger Games.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

Some of Callie and Marie's lines could be interpreted as them talking about eating octopus and squid.

Perhaps the future is a far more savage place than all the hip music and fresh accessories would have you think.

Real squids are carnivorous, and many species are cannibalistic.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i ate squid once and it was gross. squids are friends to me.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

As a member of the powerful US of motherfucking A military industrial complex I sadly have a 12 hour shift on the day we declared out independence from the tyranny of the crown. After i'm done in work, with what a tin foil wearing sovereign citizen would call war crimes, I wil hastily but safely make my way back home and splat skuids in the name of #teamrockdogge

USA USA USA

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are the servers being poor for anyone else? I got a new router today and played some matches but noticed a fair amount of lag. Which got me worried that I messed up something with my settings, but then some of my matches dropped entirely. Also I had ones where every member of both teams other than me and some other guy got kicked from the game which seems like something that would only happen with hosed servers.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

I don't know why no one likes the Luna Blaster in Ranked, because it's awesome. I've gotten so many splats with it, sometimes even a triple splat from its explosive burst. And it's so much faster than the Custom Blaster! Big fan.

edit: This works pretty well with Ninja Squid plus aggressive playstyle. You have to be fast, though, and good at quick turnarounds to get out of there.

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 27, 2015

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

noirstronaut posted:

i ate squid once and it was gross. squids are friends to me.

It was cooked badly. Good squid is good

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Team Marie Go~

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i like callie better because she puts more enthusiasm into waving at me in inkopolis i think she likes me

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

dogsicle posted:

If you try to order something when your three slots are full, he brings up a menu that shows your open orders should you want to cancel one. Not sure how else to access it though.

Also I feel incredibly lucky, the varsity jacket showed up in the shop for 12k on the same day Spyke was asking for 30k. Though it doesn't lessen the pain of having paid him 50k once.

Well, I checked that way, and the shoes only have one unlocked sub ability out of three. Hopefully this doesn't cost more than 30k, because holy gently caress after today I am so done with Ranked for a while.

Seriously, nine straight losses just because my entire team is Shooters - not even a Blaster for variety, just nothing but Shooters - while the other team actually has a good mix and completely steamrolls us every time. The one time I did win, it didn't count because the game disconnected me at 0:00! No lag at all or hiccups in my internet, the time just hit zero and displayed "You do not have an internet connection" instead of "GAME!" I didn't think that was a bug, I thought all the people complaining about it here just had awful connections! :stonk:

Long story short, after all the effort I went through to get up to B- yesterday, the matchmaking shat on me all day and kicked me all the way back down to C. I only clawed my way back up to C+ afterward because I was still wanting money. gently caress Ranked from now on, at least in Regular I gain money regardless of if I win or lose! Ability re-rolls can wait until I grind out snails from Splatfest.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SL the Pyro posted:

Seriously, nine straight losses just because my entire team is Shooters - not even a Blaster for variety, just nothing but Shooters

I'm really not seeing how this is an inherently bad thing.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

If you lost nine times in a row on randomly shuffled teams maybe it's time to reevaluate who's to blame

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
also lol if you ever stay in the same lobby in ranked

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Fawf posted:

If you lost nine times in a row on randomly shuffled teams maybe it's time to reevaluate who's to blame

I'm 90% sure the fault wasn't mine. I was consistently getting 2nd on my team in kills, sometimes 1st. This is while I'm babysitting zones on double-zone maps. Not even joking, I topped out a round with ten kills and still lost because some batshit crazy roller on the other side got fifteen and always had a Kraken ready whenever I tried to shoot him.

dragon enthusiast posted:

I didn't do that either! That's partly why I'm baffled!

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 25, 2015

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

dragon enthusiast posted:

i stayed in the same lobby today and was on a 12 win streak before i finally lost one

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Afro posted:

i stayed in the same lobby today and was on a 12 win streak before i finally lost one

lol

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Seekers on port mackerel for turf war are hilarious. I got a dozen splats in one match just standing down at the end of a hallway and sending one of my little speedboats down to kill the squid slowly marching down towards their doom.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Seekers on port mackerel for turf war are hilarious. I got a dozen splats in one match just standing down at the end of a hallway and sending one of my little speedboats down to kill the squid slowly marching down towards their doom.

You huge jerk :qq:

The reason this works as somebody who's on the receiving end a lot is because normally you can just hop over them, but the lanes on port are so narrow that if you're just a little too close to one of the sides the seeker will just swoop into the wall and blow you up from behind. It's hard to deal with!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

EightFlyingCars posted:

You huge jerk :qq:

The reason this works as somebody who's on the receiving end a lot is because normally you can just hop over them, but the lanes on port are so narrow that if you're just a little too close to one of the sides the seeker will just swoop into the wall and blow you up from behind. It's hard to deal with!

The netcode in this game is such that I don't try to jump over Seekers or Rollers because I imagine that half the time I'd make it and then explode a second later.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

The netcode in this game is such that I don't try to jump over Seekers or Rollers because I imagine that half the time I'd make it and then explode a second later.

I don't think it's the netcode, which honestly does a pretty good job disguising lag. I think the only game servers are actually in Japan, and the further away from there you live the worse your ping to the server. I don't think matches are p2p hosted and I've seen so many Japanese players pop out of the ink and immediately fire a fully-charged Charger shot that I don't believe there's a North American server, and I'm just the one on the east coast with the bad ping. A lot of times it takes a while for the game to tell your client what happened and the only people who seem to be ahead of that curve have hiragana usernames. It's not like TF2 where you could join a server hosted in almost any major American city, those servers have to be somewhere and I don't think they're very close to us.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Reiley posted:

I don't think it's the netcode, which honestly does a pretty good job disguising lag. I think the only game servers are actually in Japan, and the further away from there you live the worse your ping to the server. I don't think matches are p2p hosted and I've seen so many Japanese players pop out of the ink and immediately fire a fully-charged Charger shot that I don't believe there's a North American server, and I'm just the one on the east coast with the bad ping. A lot of times it takes a while for the game to tell your client what happened and the only people who seem to be ahead of that curve have hiragana usernames. It's not like TF2 where you could join a server hosted in almost any major American city, those servers have to be somewhere and I don't think they're very close to us.

I obviously don't have any insider details, but I disagree and think it feels like a very permissive peer-to-peer model where if something happens on your end (no matter how much you are lagging) it ends up happening eventually on the other players' ends.

I just assumed that from error messages like "failed to connect to partner's device" and such.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think if your screen shows you killing someone, they die, and if their screen shows them killing you, then you die-- even if the information on each of your screens isn't quite synced up. This would explain those weird delayed trades-- it takes a moment for your client to tell the other player's client you've splatted them, and vice versa.

Someone might fire a blaster shot that looks to you like it missed, but from their perspective it hit your last-known position accurately, so they get the kill. Annoying, but I think it does go both ways.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

My pet peeve is when someone's actions clearly happened on their side before it did yours, so you spontaneously combust half a second before the guy who killed you pops out of the ink.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

It feels like there's something wrong with the idea of them eating pieces of each other's hair.

Internet Kraken posted:

DID YOU KNOW: In some species of cephalopod, sperm is delivered to the female through a specially modified arm known as a hectocotylus. This may simply be inserted into the female's mantle, or the squid may rip off their own arm and give it to the female instead.

Just a fun squid fact for you.

So its a great honor and a sign of courtship.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The super super super delayed roller splatting is the worst

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The super super super delayed roller splatting is the worst

Just imagine your opponent is Kenshiro

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/agmj/update/index.html

Splatoon update coming. It'll fix both the Splatfest Issues, but it'll also be changing up the Inkstrike (called Tornado in Japanese) and Kraken specials, as well as the Stealth Jump, Ninja Squid and Ink Resistance abilities. My Japanese is a little rusty, so I can't really comment about the changes. I think the range of the Inkstrike is being modified, attacks should push back the Kraken more, Stealth Jump and Ninja Squid are slower, and Ink Resistance will have a lower effect on damage and speed.

edit: Coming July 1st. (Happy Canada Day! :canada:)

pichupal fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 26, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Well why even bother having abilities if they're going to nerf the gently caress out of them. What they should be doing is making the other abilities worth a poo poo.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Honestly im glad the abilities are so minor, after dark souls and monster hunter im sick of 90% of the neat costume peices being unused because everyone just picks whatever set has the most broken abilities, as seen by everyone wearing those blue boots.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I like all these changes :toot:
Weird there's no buffs to Ink Saver (Sub) though.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

raditts posted:

Well why even bother having abilities if they're going to nerf the gently caress out of them. What they should be doing is making the other abilities worth a poo poo.

Back to Cold-Blooded for me then. And only right after I discovered the magic of Inkbrush/Ninja Squid/Ink Resist. Too bad they nerfed my other favorite: Stealth Jump

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
There's apparently an Octoling Player model though at the moment, it can only be accessed via hacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm amazed they're nerfing stealth squid because that ability was already VERY questionable to use over cold-blooded/some other shirt slot. Now even more so since the swim speed is gonna be even closer to just creeping through ink without it. Frankly I don't think any ability should be nerfed right now when so many are completely useless, should be buffing the worthless ones instead.

I mean why nerf ink resist? Its the perfect example of an ability that NEEDS to have a dramatic effect otherwise it would never be worth using.

• Locked thread