Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh gently caress, our loan has been approved. It looks like this house thing is actually happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

QuarkJets posted:

Oh gently caress, our loan has been approved. It looks like this house thing is actually happening

Do always loan.

intensive purposes
Jul 1, 2009
I almost made the same mistake with locking my interest rate. The whole time we'd been gearing up, it had been ~3.75. On the day we'd scheduled to talk about locking, suddenly it was 4%, the highest it had been for the entire home search process. I decided to take a day to think about it. I read up and realized that the 3.75 was historically low to begin with and it was just as likely it would keep going up. The next morning I was relieved it was still at 4% and locked locked locked. My only disappointment is that my loan officer didn't prompt me to lock even earlier while the rates were so low.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Just got off the phone with my loan officer, and he locked us in at 4%! What a massive relief.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

lord funk posted:

Just got off the phone with my loan officer, and he locked us in at 4%! What a massive relief.

Id probably double check on what outstanding conditions there are. It kinda sounds like you have already blown a rate lock and typically if that happens more than once you start to incur relocking fees, if you haven't already.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

gtkor posted:

Id probably double check on what outstanding conditions there are. It kinda sounds like you have already blown a rate lock and typically if that happens more than once you start to incur relocking fees, if you haven't already.

Kind of doubt that. We had talked about locking 4% earlier, he said he asked his boss if it was still okay to lock us there, and the boss was okay with it. No mention of breaking a lock or re-locking at all.

edit: w00t yeah just got the confirmation email.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Jose Cuervo posted:

If it is the second then are you tracking the U.S. 10 year treasury note? The daily mortgage rate tracks the U.S. 10 year treasury note. Over the past 3 months the trend has been upwards - with small local dips. You can also see that on Friday it was at a local low point, after which it has done nothing but go up.

My advice (and the advice I was given and which I should have taken) is to lock in your rate and not stress about it any more.

Past performance is not an indicator of future performance. There are no trends to follow. I agree with the last point.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

lampey posted:

Past performance is not an indicator of future performance. There are no trends to follow. I agree with the last point.

If you are trying to decide what day to lock you rate and you see that the U.S. 10 year treasury note is dipping during the morning hours, then that is probably a good time to lock your rate in. That's all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

source: https://www.fedprimerate.com

We can see that the mortgage interest rate closely tracks the treasury yield (which is a function of interest rates) but is not identical to it. They rarely move in opposite directions but they can have changes in the difference between them. The reason is at least in part because demand for treasury notes is not exactly the same as demand for mortgages, and both respond somewhat to demand.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

lord funk posted:

Kind of doubt that. We had talked about locking 4% earlier, he said he asked his boss if it was still okay to lock us there, and the boss was okay with it. No mention of breaking a lock or re-locking at all.

edit: w00t yeah just got the confirmation email.

I may have misread earlier. The point was you had mentioned already missing a rate lock earlier (which upon re-reading sounds more like you missed when you wanted to lock, not that you had a lock expire), and you talked about going with a shorter rate lock period. Not knowing how long you locked for, I'd still recommend figuring out what conditions are keeping you from closing. Rate lock extension fees are a real thing, and if you do have a short lock, if something is actually holding up your closing it is better to know about it earlier rather than getting down to the nitty gritty to find out you need something that is going to take a while to get.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
We locked our rate, then got a call the same day that the seller needed to push back closing. We were able to close yesterday, a few days before we would have been stuck with a fee to extend the lock. Luckily, that didn't happen.

The sellers had stick-on carpet tiles on all of the vinyl in the kitchen so the dog wouldn't slip, so we ripped those up. The vinyl isn't in great shape, as expected, but at least it's not ripped open or anything. Now we get to remove all that adhesive residue :v:

We can't just rip it up and replace the vinyl, because we're going to put in a decent floor. We don't just the cash yet and we will do some windows and poo poo first - but there's no sense paying for a new vinyl floor that will be replaced soon anyway. gently caress leaving the tiles down - it was pretty gross underneath. I'm not preparing food near that mess.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 25, 2015

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I posted about my garage floor earlier but provided lovely details. We finally have our keys, so I went to check it out and get a better description. It looks like that once upon a time, there was a thin layer of concrete over a dirt base. That was long ago, since it's now mostly dirt with patches of concrete.

At this point I'm not sure if I can use concrete patching material (which we might be able to afford) or if it needs a whole new slab (which we can't afford).

We also just discovered that putting laminate in our office is substantially more expensive than we thought it would be. Neither one of us have ever done flooring, but if labor is going to be nearly $700, we'll take our chances.

This is going to end poorly.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I would love a basement in my inland Norcal house for a wine cellar and to quietly hold captives of course.. They still can be found along the coast in the older places.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

I would love a basement in my inland Norcal house for a wine cellar and to quietly hold captives of course.. They still can be found along the coast in the older places.

I have a basement. I painted some wooden house stuff down there this weekend.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Aggro posted:

I posted about my garage floor earlier but provided lovely details. We finally have our keys, so I went to check it out and get a better description. It looks like that once upon a time, there was a thin layer of concrete over a dirt base. That was long ago, since it's now mostly dirt with patches of concrete.

At this point I'm not sure if I can use concrete patching material (which we might be able to afford) or if it needs a whole new slab (which we can't afford).

We also just discovered that putting laminate in our office is substantially more expensive than we thought it would be. Neither one of us have ever done flooring, but if labor is going to be nearly $700, we'll take our chances.

This is going to end poorly.

If you can read and use scissors, you can install laminate flooring. You will also have to do a bit of cutting with something more serious than scissors at some point, so you will need a mitre or table saw. You can rent a laminate flooring cutter, but if you own a house, you should have a mitre and/or table saw anyway.

It is hard to get some sense of scale from your picture, the pavement there looks like it is considerably less than an inch thick. If that is the case, you are basically throwing good money away on patching it or whatever.

But if you are basically parking on a dirt floor (I assume the walls have some sort of better foundation or the whole thing probably would have fallen over by now) you can take a half measure and dig out the strips where the wheels go, put down some gravel then lay concrete blocks. That's still going to be like $400 plus a couple weekends devoted to the project.

You could pour the strips as you are right, concrete is easy enough to work with. The real trick with it is getting enough to get the job done. Those bags at Home Depot are deceptive in their low cost and high weight. It seems like it will only take a few or so to get the job done - what a deal! Then you do the math and you need like 60 of them. And while it is still cheaper, it suddenly is a whole assload of work to mix all of that, especially if you are trying to cut costs and plan to do it in a wheelbarrow.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Antifreeze Head posted:

if you own a house, you should have a mitre and/or table saw anyway.

If you're a DIY type, I'd assume. That seems a little silly if you're not, and your statement implied everyone should.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Everyone is always better for owning more power tools.

:black101:

Seriously though, they are $100 and stuff will come up at a house that even a non-DIY person will find it pays for itself in saved labour costs after the first project, even a minor one like laminate flooring. Or at least make friends with/give birth to someone who would own such a thing for when those instances come up.

Apr 7, 2003

Antifreeze Head posted:

Seriously though, they are $100 and stuff will come up at a house that even a non-DIY person will find it pays for itself in saved labour costs after the first project, even a minor one like laminate flooring. Or at least make friends with/give birth to someone who would own such a thing for when those instances come up.

For something like flooring that I have to look at every day, I'd rather pay a professional to do it. I remember watching one of those house buying shows on HGTV and they were talking about how the homeowners were so good that they were accurate to a sixteenth of an inch on cutting flooring, and I thought about the impact of that across a 15 foot long room and winced.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
And if you are going to use a table saw to cut laminate you need to get a brand new blade for the saw because you will have rough edges otherwise. Then throw the blade right out afterwards. That poo poo will ruin a blade quickly.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Citizen Tayne posted:

For something like flooring that I have to look at every day, I'd rather pay a professional to do it. I remember watching one of those house buying shows on HGTV and they were talking about how the homeowners were so good that they were accurate to a sixteenth of an inch on cutting flooring, and I thought about the impact of that across a 15 foot long room and winced.

I'm not sure what that means. The only places where you have to cut flooring is along the edges. Along the walls the molding will cover up any small mistakes in cutting, and at the door you will have a threshold that will do the same.

The only thing I can think of that would be worth complimenting regarding a floor would be squareness, which is easy to measure and not as important when you are just doing 1 room.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

You only need two cuts to make any length of flooring, the edge to either side perpendicular to the wall. The intermediate pieces don't get cut.

The runs laying against the wall running parallel to the grain may need to have the width trimmed, but that's corrected as the final line is laid, and really doesn't take a rocket scientist or carpenter to accomplish if you have a table saw with a fence [lockable slide limiting exactly how much material can be cut and comes standard with a table saw].

Additionally, you need gaps for thermal expansion, preventing the flooring from buckling when it expands in the summer. Finally, that's what trim and caulk is for---hiding those gaps---which are typically recommended to be about a 1/4 inch between the wall and flooring.

If you're too standoffish to lay a laminate floor, you should really reconsider home ownership unless you know you have the money to take care of much more expensive work. Laminate flooring is just about the easiest and least capital intensive home work through which to cut your teeth.

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 26, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Antifreeze Head posted:

If you can read and use scissors, you can install laminate flooring. You will also have to do a bit of cutting with something more serious than scissors at some point, so you will need a mitre or table saw. You can rent a laminate flooring cutter, but if you own a house, you should have a mitre and/or table saw anyway.

It is hard to get some sense of scale from your picture, the pavement there looks like it is considerably less than an inch thick. If that is the case, you are basically throwing good money away on patching it or whatever.

But if you are basically parking on a dirt floor (I assume the walls have some sort of better foundation or the whole thing probably would have fallen over by now) you can take a half measure and dig out the strips where the wheels go, put down some gravel then lay concrete blocks. That's still going to be like $400 plus a couple weekends devoted to the project.

You could pour the strips as you are right, concrete is easy enough to work with. The real trick with it is getting enough to get the job done. Those bags at Home Depot are deceptive in their low cost and high weight. It seems like it will only take a few or so to get the job done - what a deal! Then you do the math and you need like 60 of them. And while it is still cheaper, it suddenly is a whole assload of work to mix all of that, especially if you are trying to cut costs and plan to do it in a wheelbarrow.
Minimix. Or not Minimix, a 20*22*4" slab is ~16.5 yards. That's enough for a normal cement truck.

Antifreeze Head posted:

I agree as I'm a DIYer (not yet homeowner)

Citizen Tayne posted:

As usual, you have zero idea what you're talking about. You lay it straight down the floor...and trim UNDER the baseboards, effectively.

Who paints inside, also? That's what a garage is for.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Dead Pressed posted:

If you're too standoffish to lay a laminate floor, you should really reconsider home ownership.

Holy poo poo this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

Running electric cable is simple too, it's just two wires that you need to tie on to your outlets and the circuit breaker. Just two little wires, a couple twists, and a screwdriver. Easy as hell. If you don't wire your own home you should seriously reconsider home ownership.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Running electric cable is simple too, it's just two wires that you need to tie on to your outlets and the circuit breaker. Just two little wires, a couple twists, and a screwdriver. Easy as hell. If you don't wire your own home you should seriously reconsider home ownership.

There's considerably less potential to accidentally burn your house down from a bad flooring job.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I think everyone who owns a home should feel like they could lay laminate flooring. It's really easy. Deciding to hire it out would then be a question of how much free time you have, and how quickly you want the project done.

Similar to painting. Everyone should feel comfortable with interior painting. But it could still be worth it to you to pay someone to paint half of your house.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Spermy Smurf posted:

Three wires, unless you live somewhere without the benefit grounded electrical outlets.

And I realize that you are being sarcastic, but yeah, if you have bare studs (or a passion for surface conduit) and the time, you should wire your own house. Unless the potential homeowner is disabled or enfeebled, they absolutely can figure out wiring if they A) can operate a screwdriver; and B) take the time to read the directions.

It is the "B" that so many people skip out and that is what creates the mess of problems that you see on a lot of home renovation shows.

Granted there are a few somewhat specialized tools that lack the overall utility of a mitre saw that someone may not want to buy for a one off wiring job.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

Can't clean my own gutters, I'm afraid of heights and might fall off the ladder and die! Laying hardwood floor doesn't require years of training and apprenticeship to complete the work legally with professional licensure. Barring falling on the table saw, without the guards in place, while the thing is running, its also a lot harder to kill yourself laying floor. I would additionally argue that if you're too standoffish to kill a breaker and change a light fixture, you should reconsider home ownership. If you're unwilling to complete even the simplest DIY projects, home ownership is not for you.

Rent an apartment, buy a condo with a doorman. Fix your own poo poo, pay out the rear end to have someone else do it, or let the property fall into disrepair. There's a reason this thread has a "do never buy" mantra.

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 26, 2015

Mitchnasty
Apr 15, 2009
I laid about 600 square feet of laminate flooring in my home, took me and a buddy about 8 hours including beer and dinner breaks. Seriously, anyone can do it. I could understand renting a saw, mitre saws take up a ton of space if you're not gonna do much with it. But things like, a jigsaw and measuring tapes/squares everyone should own anyways.

Apr 7, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

Minimix. Or not Minimix, a 20*22*4" slab is ~16.5 yards. That's enough for a normal cement truck.
I agree as I'm a DIYer (not yet homeowner)
As usual, you have zero idea what you're talking about. You lay it straight down the floor...and trim UNDER the baseboards, effectively.

Who paints inside, also? That's what a garage is for.

I think I'll just pay a professional to lay my flooring for me. It's cool and good to do that and probably doesn't make me any less of a man.

Apr 7, 2003

As a matter of fact, if you aren't willing to pay a professional to do the work properly and would rather half-rear end it yourself to save a few dollars, home ownership probably isn't for you.

Apr 7, 2003

Dead Pressed posted:

You only need two cuts to make any length of flooring, the edge to either side perpendicular to the wall. The intermediate pieces don't get cut.

I'm just saying what they said on the TV show, man. I don't know jack poo poo about laying flooring and I don't care to learn. Someone else can do it for me.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

As a matter of fact, if you aren't willing to pay a professional to do the work properly and would rather half-rear end it yourself to save a few dollars, home ownership probably isn't for you.

I don't know if I'd count a few thousand dollars per project 'a few dollars'. We just laid all the laminate wood flooring in our rental and it looks great, didn't take that long, and only cost a few hundred bucks. Putting in back splash in the kitchen will be similar.

Apr 7, 2003

Rurutia posted:

I don't know if I'd count a few thousand dollars per project 'a few dollars'. We just laid all the laminate wood flooring in our rental and it looks great, didn't take that long, and only cost a few hundred bucks. Putting in back splash in the kitchen will be similar.

The previous owner of my home left receipts for all work done over twenty-five years and included notes on what he did himself. He built the deck, a pergola, fencing, tiered planters, etc himself but left the laminate to professionals (paid about $4200 for three 12' x 14' rooms). He was a shop floor manager at a custom metal and wood fabrication company, so I figure if he didn't want to do that himself I sure as hell don't.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

The previous owner of my home left receipts for all work done over twenty-five years and included notes on what he did himself. He built the deck, a pergola, fencing, tiered planters, etc himself but left the laminate to professionals (paid about $4200 for three 12' x 14' rooms). He was a shop floor manager at a custom metal and wood fabrication company, so I figure if he didn't want to do that himself I sure as hell don't.

Maybe he had arthritis in his hands and couldn't do the snap-together flooring because his hands didn't have the strength. Thats why one of the flooring guys around here is carpet-only now.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

What if I'm able to cut my lawn to 1/16" accuracy? Is that ok or do I have to pay a pro?

Apr 7, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Maybe he had arthritis in his hands and couldn't do the snap-together flooring because his hands didn't have the strength.

Maybe. Either way I'll pay a flooring company and they'll do a better job than I will.

Apr 7, 2003

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

What if I'm able to cut my lawn to 1/16" accuracy? Is that ok or do I have to pay a pro?

Hey man, don't yell at me for something a TV show said.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Citizen Tayne posted:

Maybe. Either way I'll pay a flooring company and they'll do a better job than I will.

You vastly overestimate the difficulty of laminate flooring. It is just slightly more complicated than Lego.

Apr 7, 2003

Antifreeze Head posted:

You vastly overestimate the difficulty of laminate flooring. It is just slightly more complicated than Lego.

That's fine. It's a reasonable expenditure to me to pay someone else to do it and not have to worry about it.

My upper floors are carpet and my lower floor is laminate and tile and those were done in 2008, so I figure I don't need to worry about it for a while anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you don't change your own oil, car ownership isn't for you.

See? This is really stupid. Home ownership is a lifestyle. If you can afford to pay people to do the work, there's nothing wrong with doing so. DIY is a fantastic and rewarding way to save money and can be enjoyable as well, but it's not for everyone, any more than working on your own car is for everyone. I think we'd like to encourage DIY in the BFC forum because, you know, it's often very cost-effective! And I personally encourage it because I think it's good for people to have an intimate understanding of how the things they own work. Makes it harder to get duped by charlatans when things go wrong, for example.

But a recommendation to try doing some simple jobs yourself shouldn't go so far as to say if you don't DIY your home repair projects, you shouldn't own a home.