Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

kayakyakr posted:

1. No. None of the above. UCF is the only one with growth potential.

2. Football drives alignment. Basketball is nice, but it hasn't helped the Big East stay relevant, has it? If ACC loses 4 to the SEC and the Big Ten, the remaining 10.5 will have an option between abandoning ship and doing something with the Big XII, or picking up those same rousing options you listed above.

And no pretending that any school in the ACC would turn down the Big Ten or SEC when they come along.

You really underestimate the value of Tobacco Road to what the ACC is. I agree with CB including FSU all the ACC members prior to 1992 or whatever are really unlikely to move anywhere. Since FSU/Clemson/GT didn't move and in fact worked to consolidate the ACC position including getting ND on the schedule sharing TV money back in 2010/11 I don't see them going anywhere especially once you consider the expanded revenue an ACC network will eventually bring. Football drives realignment, but I don't really see a compelling reason for the ACC to bail out the Big12 which is what you seem to think will happen. ACC has little to no interest in a conference that wants to tie itself to the SEC & PAC12 in terms of scheduling and bowl partnerships, there isn't any connection there to start with really.

The Big12 is setting itself up to end up playing to the interests of the other P5 conferences until they can get on par with them in size, revenue, and honestly having that extra weekend with a championship game. It's going to be about bargaining position and power, Texas and OU are the only schools with it in the Big12, it feels way more likely they split and take someone with them than the Big12 continues to survive as a mismash with east coast teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

One day cable providers will be forced to provide a la carte and the days of media networks killing college football will end

I'll be here all week. Try the fish.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

djdanno13 posted:

Honestly the survival of big 12 depends highly on Texas and just how big of a douche they can be before they piss off OU. The longhorn network has been a relative disaster and if Texas doesn't allow a big 12 network after the contact is up I think many of the schools will be looking at the other conferences and their big tv dollars. Then you see OU going to either pac 12 or B1G along with probably OSU and K state with Baylor or tcu close behind. Kansas and Iowa state join mwc and Texas can go to hell for all I care. Death to the big 12!

I'm pretty sure though that if OU looked like they were waffling B1G would be at the door with money bags in hand in a heartbeat.

UT is hard-tied to TTU. OU is hard-tied to OSU. UT and OU could go to different conferences, but they won't do it without "little brother" unless "little brother" finds a landing spot elsewhere.

2026... Gonna be an interesting year.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Starting LT Isaiah Battle left Clemson to go into the supplemental draft. Probably got caught with weed or something.

Congrats FSU on another ACC championship

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

lamentable dustman posted:

Probably got caught with weed or something.

Dabo found out he was agnostic.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
nvm

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Big12 add Southern Miss :getin:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Starting LT Isaiah Battle left Clemson to go into the supplemental draft. Probably got caught with weed or something.

HOKIES GONNA TAKE IT BACK BEHIND SACKSBURG DLINE & DBU SECONDARY.

Only if Brewer stays upright and the RBs don't all break.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Do you have a QB we can borrow?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Miami just dismissed it's starting Left Tackle for unknown reasons. No police reports, nothing.

Golden states he didn't "fit the culture". Dude was one semester away from graduating as a junior.

what the gently caress golden.

Kaaya gonna get concussioned

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Dilber posted:

Miami just dismissed it's starting Left Tackle for unknown reasons. No police reports, nothing.

Golden states he didn't "fit the culture". Dude was one semester away from graduating as a junior.

lol he probably dissed the coaching staff on twitter or something

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ffffffffffffffuck.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dilber posted:

*Yes, get McElwain on the horn*

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Battle is saying it's due to family matters, he has a child due this summer.

Though the article on ESPN does say that he was pulled for speeding in June and was found with marijuana, but was not arrested, only cited.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Allahu #goACCbar

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Dattserberg posted:

Do you have a QB we can borrow?

We have one pretty good one who is injury prone and has a true freshman protecting him at LT :(

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

We have one pretty good one who is injury prone and has a true freshman protecting him at LT :(

I'm pretty confident in Tucker Israel as backup QB, just going off of his name.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Alabama's 2017 Noncon schedule:

FSU
Colorado State
Fresno State

gently caress yeah, all three games worth actually attending. As in "Saban will probably have retired so we stand at least a small chance of losing all three"

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Twelve is a good number for a conference, and anything more than that detracts from the overall experience. I guess it's nice that Penn State plays a few extra games around the East Coast each year, but the additional of Rutgers and Maryland were completely underwhelming, after the home run addition of Nebraska. I miss the way things were in the 90s and early 2000s. As much as I liked Penn State in the Big Ten, having to play Maryland and Rutgers every year takes away from that. I'd love to see the resurrection of the Eastern Conference:

Penn State
Pitt
Miami
Virginia Tech
Boston College
Florida State
West Virginia
Rutgers
Temple
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Louisville

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Raku posted:

Alabama's 2017 Noncon schedule:

FSU
Colorado State
Fresno State

gently caress yeah, all three games worth actually attending. As in "Saban will probably have retired so we stand at least a small chance of losing all three"

Is Saban thinking about retirement?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

*Yes, get McElwain on the horn*

More o lineman for the lineman gods

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
What a surprise, we'd also love to see Penn State and Rutgers out of the Big Ten

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
http://www.tomahawknation.com/2015/6/25/8847817/florida-state-freshman-qb-deandre-johnson-suspended-indefinitely

quote:

"Florida State head football coach Jimbo Fisher has announced the indefinite suspension of true freshman DeAndre Johnson for a violation of athletic department policy." -- FSU release. Johnson was projected to be third, fourth or fifth on the depth chart come fall.

ESPN's Mark Schlabach says that Johnson is accused of punching a woman at a bar.

Ugh

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Suspensions, the more ridiculous the better, are the best part of the offseason when it doesn't happen to your team.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KKKLIP ART posted:

Suspensions, the more ridiculous the better, are the best part of the offseason when it doesn't happen to your team.

Guy gets suspended for smoking weed or being an rear end in a top hat = hilarious

Guy gets suspended for hitting a woman = not so hilarious :(

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

You know, maybe I'm even more boring than I can even imagine, but I can't even conceive of the circumstances necessary for a situation to end in 'punched a woman in a bar.'

It's such a abstract crime, like defrauding a statue, or soliciting a cat.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Metapod posted:

Is Saban thinking about retirement?

He's in his mid sixties. :shrug:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I want to keep Rutgers around just long enough for them to finally have that magical year where they finish last in every single sport.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pakled posted:

Guy gets suspended for smoking weed or being an rear end in a top hat = hilarious

Guy gets suspended for hitting a woman = not so hilarious :(

fair enough

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

I want to keep Rutgers around just long enough for them to finally have that magical year where they finish last in every single sport.

Does Rutgers even have a sport they're strangely competitive in? Most everyone seems to have a not football or basketball sport they're at least good at, but I come up blank on Rutgers.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Quidditch? I suppose that's really just GT

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

Does Rutgers even have a sport they're strangely competitive in? Most everyone seems to have a not football or basketball sport they're at least good at, but I come up blank on Rutgers.

I'm not actually reading this article but rowing maybe?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sash! posted:

Rich White Kid Yankee Ball LaCrosse?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Grittybeard posted:

I'm not actually reading this article but rowing maybe?

Is this the part where I get all :smug: like Thoguh does about wrestling and then everyone tells me to shut up because nobody cares?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Scarf posted:

Rich White Kid Yankee Ball LaCrosse?

Nope they suck at that poo poo too.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Rutgers National Champs 1869

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Debate? Quiz Bowl? Ultimate frisbee?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Mock Trial.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Dilber posted:

It was brutal to read that article. Kid talking about wanting to go to Miami since he was little and now he can't afford to even stay the last semester so he can graduate.

Super lovely thing to do at least as it seems right now. If there was a good reason it should have come out already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
So apparently the QB that left UGA is looking to transfer to Bama now? Seems like a lateral move to me. He was buried on the depth chart and now he'll...probably still be buried on the depth chart. He can't even play this season, right?

• Locked thread