Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
So I got caught up and yes I feel like a teenager reading Shadows for the first time, and then the X-Wing series, and then splurging on anything and everything EU related while waiting for the prequels to come out.

Now I'm splurging on comics, about to buy some novels on amazon, and trying to figure out how to watch rebels on the cheap, all while waiting for the sequels to come out.

Funny, awesome stuff.

As for a review of the comics from a non-comic reader, Star Wars and Vader are both very awesome. Star Wars feels just like it should, and Vader is just disgustingly awesome. Leia's comic is kinda lame, I think the stylized art doesn't really look like the title character and the dialogue seems kinda jarring, and the story is fairly boring. Kanan is pretty cool, I've never seen rebels so I don't know what he's like as an adult but so far the 2 books are entirely his backstory as an apprentice surviving order 66 and it is very suspenseful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
What's the other book? I enjoyed A New Dawn more than I expected to.

Rebels doesn't start super strong but really ramped up towards the end of season 1. Have you seen all of the Clone Wars series already?

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

zelah posted:

Rebels doesn't start super strong but really ramped up towards the end of season 1. Have you seen all of the Clone Wars series already?

As someone who is huge into Starwars I've never watched Clone Wars. I really got the impression that it was very much a really plot-light childrens show. Is it actually worth a look? And I don't mean that as an insult or anything, I've barely seen anything about the series and just made a quick assumption from the animation style and the timeslot it played in.

Vagon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 7, 2015

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Vagon posted:

As someone who is huge into Starwars I've never watched Clone Wars. I really got the impression that it was very much a really plot-light childrens show. Is it actually worth a look? And I don't mean that as an insult or anything, I've barely seen anything about the series and just made a quick assumption from the animation style and the timeslot it played in.

as soon as you see Jar Jar, skip the episode. Aside from the first episode being kind of rough, I was *really* into it by the end. They did so much to make the clones actual characters ans individuals.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
For the first season or two feel absolutely free to skip anything with Jar Jar in it. Those episodes are very much for little kids. Later they get into some crazy stuff with a family that lives outside the light/dark dichotomy and the last season or two is almost all Kenobi being a badass. Ahsoka Tano is a pretty great character and develops well as the show goes along.

The plots with Maul/the night sisters and learning more about Kenobi and his old girlfriend were worth any Jar Jar there was (and his episodes really felt like filler, so you're not missing anything by skipping his stuff). There's a also a lot of loose threads with a main character that start to get tied up in Rebels

Plus with it being canon now and several of the new novels tying into it, you won't regret it if you're gobbling up content waiting for the sequels.

E: didn't realize I was writing to a different person, but you're probably waiting for the sequels too, and if you love Star Wars, there's a lot of great Star Wars stories in the show.

zelah fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 7, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vagon posted:

Clone Wars does a far better job than any of the prequel movies of selling Anakin as the hero of the Republic and it really makes his fall to the dark side look a lot more tragic in retrospect. I wasn't sure about it because I wasn't keen on the movie they did beforehand, but it's a really fun series with enjoyable characters.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

zelah posted:

What's the other book? I enjoyed A New Dawn more than I expected to.

I have seen both Clone Wars series (cartoon and CGI), and they are both great, as others have eluded to the show does a great job with the characters, and REALLY (and I mean REALLY) has some amazing moments that will mean a lot to big-time SW nerds. I believe the last 3 episodes are a story arch financed by netflix to properly tie up the series when they acquired the rights to show it.

Maybe A New Dawn is the only one out right now, but you can preorder a ton on Amazon and here's the complete list of released and announced Novels taken from that IGN link earlier in the thread about what is canon. I decided to just purchase it in a local bookstore, just because I haven't been in one in so long.

Star Wars: A New Dawn (novel)
Star Wars: Heir to the Jedi (novel)
Star Wars: Journey to The Force Awakens (novel)
Star Wars: Aftermath (novel)
Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
Star Wars: Lords of the Sith (novel)
Star Wars: Tarkin (novel)
Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (novel)
The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure (novel)
Star Wars: Lost Stars (novel)
Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo Adventure (novel)
Star Wars: Dark Disciple (novel)

Wheat Loaf posted:

Clone Wars does a far better job than any of the prequel movies of selling Anakin as the hero of the Republic and it really makes his fall to the dark side look a lot more tragic in retrospect. I wasn't sure about it because I wasn't keen on the movie they did beforehand, but it's a really fun series with enjoyable characters.

Through the first cartoon Clone Wars he was still an unbearable douche and it was okay because the art and badass-ness of that series carried it. The newer CGI Clone Wars starts off nearly the same but really does develop him by making him take a padawan and after the first seasons rigidity throws a lot of emotion into him and makes him very likeable.

----

I mean seriously were very much overhyping it, but every fan should watch it, it's very good.

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 7, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I've given it a second chance since it's on Netflix, I'm enjoying it enough as something to put on in the background. The episodes that focus on droids, Jar Jar, or younglings looked pretty dull and I quickly skipped them, but any episode with space pirates, clone troopers, or bounty hunters is usually pretty good. Hondo is a great antagonist, and Ventress's arc gets progressively more interesting.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Blind Sally posted:

I've given it a second chance since it's on Netflix, I'm enjoying it enough as something to put on in the background. The episodes that focus on droids, Jar Jar, or younglings looked pretty dull and I quickly skipped them, but any episode with space pirates, clone troopers, or bounty hunters is usually pretty good. Hondo is a great antagonist, and Ventress's arc gets progressively more interesting.

Episodes 1+2 of Season 3 might be some of the most awesome Star Wars stuff I've ever watched.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
This week directors cuts of Star Wars and darthvader #1's come out.

I've got the red gulag issues already, are directors cut comics worth paying for in that case? Or are they sort of like alternate covers where it's mostly a collectors thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Director's cut" comics are generally just the original comic followed by some uncolored pages and *maybe* some script pages. I've never seen one worth it unless you're really interested in the creative process.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So basically, I should probably grab those. Comic script pages are always really interesting.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
It kind of got missed in the discussion of SW and DV #6, but Princess Leia #4 and Kanan #3 were both released recently.

There is also a variant cover for the upcoming Shattered Empire.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

A new preview for Lando.

quote:

Before there was Cloud City, before he joined the Rebellion – there was just Lando. Trying to make his own way in an unfriendly galaxy with some swindles, some swagger and an irresistible smile. With his trusty companion Lobot at his side, he’s on a mission to steal one of the galaxy’s most valuable objects. But has he bitten off more than he can chew? The heist of the century kicks off this July when the can’t miss LANDO #1 comes to comic shops and digital devices!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc7_KpPRyBs

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 17, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VirtualStranger posted:

It kind of got missed in the discussion of SW and DV #6, but Princess Leia #4 and Kanan #3 were both released recently.

There is also a variant cover for the upcoming Shattered Empire.

So this happens after RotJ then?

They really are putting top tier creative talent on these books, it's great.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
When does that one drop

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

rear end Catchcum posted:

When does that one drop

I believe it's a mini-series that begins in September.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Man, this art is great. Stark colors, sharp lines, brusque shading. Rough people from a rough galaxy.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Vagon posted:

I thought the same thing and decided to give the series a try this month.

There is so much murder and neck snapping and just throwing bodies around.

:catstare:

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I thought the same thing and decided to give the series a try this month.

There is so much murder and neck snapping and just throwing bodies around.

:catstare:

Let's not forget that Clone Wars is a show where this happens.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Vagon posted:

It's one of those shows that takes a while to find it's stride but quality increases greatly throughout it's run and they found their voice. Plenty of weak episodes though.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

VirtualStranger posted:

Let's not forget that Clone Wars is a show where this happens.

Disney has a much shorter lease, Jesus Christ

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I only have one thing to say about Clone Wars: Who's bright idea was it to give the Jedi with the worst impulse control ever a 14 year old apprentice who's got a huge crush on him and spends a bunch of time alone with him on long space voyages, anyway?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I only have one thing to say about Clone Wars: Who's bright idea was it to give the Jedi with the worst impulse control ever a 14 year old apprentice who's got a huge crush on him and spends a bunch of time alone with him on long space voyages, anyway?

I don't think she had a crush on him, but this would be a good way to explain it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ecx6q_the-dave-chappelle-show-the-sexual-abuse-of-darth-vader_tv

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's one of those shows that takes a while to find it's stride but quality increases greatly throughout it's run and they found their voice. Plenty of weak episodes though.

Clone Wars made Return of the Sith much better. I always felt like something was missing between the 2 movies and Clone Wars was it. Anakins motivations male so much more sense.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Also the fact it's not Hayden Christensen hamming it up on screen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Clone Wars made Return of the Sith much better. I always felt like something was missing between the 2 movies and Clone Wars was it. Anakins motivations male so much more sense.

Well, George Lucas used the Genndy cartoon to introduce things like "General Grievous is a character in this series" and other tiny details like that, so yeah, something was obviously missing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Well, George Lucas used the Genndy cartoon to introduce things like "General Grievous is a character in this series" and other tiny details like that, so yeah, something was obviously missing.

I get the "syngergy" between the shows and movies but in 2003 I didn't give a gently caress about American animation, nor was I aware that the Clone Wars series even existed. People like my Dad certainly gave 0 fucks about an animated Star Wars series, so for people like us, Lucas did a great disservice because it made Ep 3 an even more incomprehensible mess than it already was. In hindsight and after having watched Clone Wars I think it's a much better movie than I initially thought because the backstory makes sense. As a whole I think Clone Wars makes Episode 2 + 3 much better. My main gripe is that a series bridging Episode 1 and 2 would have probably helped even more.

Red Letter Media says it best when talking about Ep 2. There is obviously a ton of history between Anakin and Obi Wan but you only get snippets of it so Anakins actions don't really make sense since you don't have the overall broader context of their relationship.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh God, I'm not defending the way they did it, it was idiotic of them to make a movie that assumes you've consumed tie-in media.

I reject your assertion that watching other stuff retroactively made bad movies better, though. The movies should stand on their own as movies, and they don't.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

Red Letter Media says it best when talking about Ep 2. There is obviously a ton of history between Anakin and Obi Wan but you only get snippets of it so Anakins actions don't really make sense since you don't have the overall broader context of their relationship.
I don't agree with this. Not to defend these movies *specifically* but you don't need entire life stories to understand the feelings people might have for each other, especially when you *do* know they've spent quite a lot of time (most of Anakin's life) together.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
ROTS had something like three direct lead-ins which were completely distinct from one another (a comic by Haden Blackman, a novel by James Luceno and the Genndy Tartakovsky cartoon). I think the idea was that you could pick whichever one you liked best, but this failed because a) most people just wanted to see the movie; and b) Star Wars fans are hopeless spergs who immediately bent over backwards to try and force all three into the EU canon.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Oh God, I'm not defending the way they did it, it was idiotic of them to make a movie that assumes you've consumed tie-in media.

I reject your assertion that watching other stuff retroactively made bad movies better, though. The movies should stand on their own as movies, and they don't.

I apologize if it came off as attacking i wasnt meaning it that way at all. I also 100% agree that the movies didn't stand on their own. Maybe i should've said "It made the story better" instead of the actual movies.

Endless Mike posted:

I don't agree with this. Not to defend these movies *specifically* but you don't need entire life stories to understand the feelings people might have for each other, especially when you *do* know they've spent quite a lot of time (most of Anakin's life) together.

I don't think you need the entire life story but having some idea of the stuff they've gone through would've been nice. I have almost no knowledge of the EU so I don't know what the life of a Padawan is like and having some of that context would've made the story more complete.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Probably would've been better if the prequel trilogy had started with Obi-Wan and Anakin as master and apprentice; there would have been more space to develop their partnership rather if they hadn't had to make room for superfluous podracing sequences. It's like that one recommended viewing order for the movies: IV - V- II - III - VI. I think the rationale is that ESB ends with Luke asking, "How did my father become Darth Vader?" and AOTC and ROTS (sort of) answer the question, then it's back to ROTJ for him to complete the circle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The correct watching order is Star Wars - Empire - Jedi, then plugging your ears and closing your eyes until 7 is out.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

The correct watching order is Star Wars - Empire - Jedi, then plugging your ears and closing your eyes until 7 is out.
:agreed:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Probably would've been better if the prequel trilogy had started with Obi-Wan and Anakin as master and apprentice; there would have been more space to develop their partnership rather if they hadn't had to make room for superfluous podracing sequences. It's like that one recommended viewing order for the movies: IV - V- II - III - VI. I think the rationale is that ESB ends with Luke asking, "How did my father become Darth Vader?" and AOTC and ROTS (sort of) answer the question, then it's back to ROTJ for him to complete the circle.

I think it's generally widely considered that Phantom Menace was kind of a misstep. Clone Wars effectively retcons their relationship to the point that not a single thing in PM is meaningful. Not a single important thing happens in PM that isn't eventually rehashed in CW and Anakin being introduced as a child doesn't actually add anything meaningful.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It was a mistake born out of common but unfounded belief, "Kids only relate to kids" it's mostly because adults long for childhood and stop remembering we wanted to grow up and be Indiana Jones and shoot Short Round out of a cannon.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's like that one recommended viewing order for the movies: IV - V- II - III - VI.

Thats actually a really good idea.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I finally read the Darth Vader book, and boy do I wish they had someone else on art. Larocca's characters all look like blobs due to how heavily he relies on tracing.

E:

It's especially bad when you compare it with the cover art.

Hm, an asian woman, probably of a roguish sort, in a Star Wars-y adventurer uniform.

Uh... Lumpy from the Star Wars Holiday Special?

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SalTheBard posted:

Thats actually a really good idea.

Another detail: if you watch it in that order, Obi-Wan always has a beard. :v: