Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

G-III posted:

Holy crap, that was terrible. This franchise needs to be put to sleep for a very long time. This is like a terminator saturday morning cartoon just with the unfortunate handicap of being filmed in live action.

Maybe its just that I'm watching it in a little youtube window but it all looks really flat like a mediocre t.v. show. Bland lighting, bland set, bland everything. Not enough of a sample to assume the whole movie looks like that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe its just that I'm watching it in a little youtube window but it all looks really flat like a mediocre t.v. show. Bland lighting, bland set, bland everything. Not enough of a sample to assume the whole movie looks like that though.

It looks very Marvel-esqe, for whatever biases you put on that phrase. The exchange at the end especially ("I can work with that").

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Darko posted:

Well, Bill and Ted figured it out fairly quickly...

Picard is just too prudent to ask for the right stuff in this Earl Grey :420:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The thread's kinda fallen into a rut of "everyone says it looks bad, but Cameron says it is good, but critics say it looks bad, but someone thinks it looks good...."

As usual, the actual question is 'good at what?'

It's very obvious from the ads that this film is about a very basic reversal of perspective. Instead of Sarah Connor being pulled out of her humdrum life in 1984 and into the bizarre future-war, Kyle Reese is pulled out of his humdrum life in 202X and into a bizarro 1984.

In other words, Genesis is starting from Salvation's point that we all know the stakes, we're living in the end times, and insane drone warfare is the new normal. This latest film centers on one nerd trying to escape from the reality into the nostalgic past - trying to 'recapture his childhood' - and finding that it's not what he remembered.

The film can only really be judged good or bad along those lines - not really in direct comparison to the original.

So what you're saying is that John Connor is Ronald Reagan.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Much like Jurassic World, the thread leading up to the release is doomed to be more entertaining than the movie itself. :(

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

What happened to the Matt Smith character in the previews? I remember terrible pictures of him from EW or whatever Hollywood magazine that was, and he has a couple of super-quick cameos in the trailers, but but nothing more.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sasquatch! posted:

What happened to the Matt Smith character in the previews? I remember terrible pictures of him from EW or whatever Hollywood magazine that was, and he has a couple of super-quick cameos in the trailers, but but nothing more.

I think I read that he's got a bigger overall part in the trilogy their planning, but its also possible he's just a weird looking dude that they hired to look off-putting in a handful of scenes. He's not really a well-known actor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Basebf555 posted:

I think I read that he's got a bigger overall part in the trilogy their planning, but its also possible he's just a weird looking dude that they hired to look off-putting in a handful of scenes. He's not really a well-known actor.

You really have no idea how popular Doctor Who is do you? People know who he is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

If you go to any store that even passingly caters to nerds, you'll see his face plastered everywhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelticPredator posted:

If you go to any store that even passingly caters to nerds, you'll see his face plastered everywhere.

Hot Topic, Spencers, Gamestop, Hastings, Barnes & Nobel are all stores that frequently have huge DW displays. TRU has started carrying DW merch, Target has some now and even JC Penny has shirts. There's about to be a LEGO Doctor Who launch. It's pretty much the most well known and watched SciFi series on the planet currently.

But no, nobody knows who Matt Smith is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

You really have no idea how popular Doctor Who is do you? People know who he is.

In America its a moderately popular T.V. show. I have a job that gets me out of the house and I have a normal social life, yet nobody I know would recognize the name Matt Smith and only a few would know his face. Its a niche show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I'm not talking about nerds. I'm talking about the other 99% of people I encounter on a daily basis.

Edit: Also I never said nobody knows who he is, I said he's not a well-known actor, which he absolutely isn't.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They may not know.

But their brain does.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not talking about nerds. I'm talking about the other 99% of people I encounter on a daily basis.

Edit: Also I never said nobody knows who he is, I said he's not a well-known actor, which he absolutely isn't.

Basebf555 posted:

In America its a moderately popular T.V. show. I have a job that gets me out of the house and I have a normal social life, yet nobody I know would recognize the name Matt Smith and only a few would know his face. Its a niche show.

Just because you feel it's a niche show doesn't mean it is. It had multiple events where episodes were shown in theaters all across the country and every screening sold out. More people watch DW than the number of people who will go see this movie.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

Just because you feel it's a niche show doesn't mean it is. It had multiple events where episodes were shown in theaters all across the country and every screening sold out. More people watch DW than the number of people who will go see this movie.

He is also an extremely well known actor in the UK. And he is a drat good one at that despite his funny looking head.

Look at this scene, one of his best, I loved it, just look at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F84WapAH7M

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

The fandom is absolutely rabid, there's no arguing that, and the show is certainly more popular than ever. It used to be a niche within a niche, where even your average sci-fi fan in America didn't watch it. I just don't feel its broken through to the mainstream to the extent that you do. Of course we both have nothing but anecdotal evidence to argue with so this isn't going anywhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

He is also an extremely well known actor in the UK. And he is a drat good one at that despite his funny looking head.

He's extremely well known worldwide. I have friends who don't even own TVs and they know who he is. There are bars that have DW nights all over the loving country.

Basebf555 posted:

He's not really a well-known actor.

But this I guess.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Or check this with Matt Smith, and The Girl Who Waited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUumw7f8EQ

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey I love Matt Smith, he's my favorite Doctor. I've seen every single episode of the revival series, so I consider myself a big fan. I wish everyone at my office was talking about Dr. Who the day after it airs but they don't.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Matt Smith not famous is a really weird thing to argue for. Doctor Who is like the second most famous TV show to come out of the UK. Top Gear is the biggest and Sherlock close third IMO. He might not be Cumberbatch famous, that being said I don't know who plays Conner or Reese.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

oohhboy posted:

Matt Smith not famous is a really weird thing to argue for. Doctor Who is like the second most famous TV show to come out of the UK. Top Gear is the biggest and Sherlock close third IMO. He might not be Cumberbatch famous, that being said I don't know who plays Conner or Reese.

Smith is being careful about what roles he takes in America because he saw how David Tennant's career took a nosedive here (it's getting better). He's been offered literally hundreds of roles. He turned down a role in the Hobbit and the new Star Wars. I don't know what made hi think Terminator was a good place to start his American film career but he must have his reasons.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Looking at the basic structure of Genisys, I'm sure on paper and as a pitch it sounds like an amazing movie. Plus easy $$$ since it will get heavy marketing and stars Arnold.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
And the part of my original post that didn't result in the derail mentioned how I thought I had read something about his part being expanded in a planned sequel. I don't have a source for that though and may have that wrong. Plus it seems like this movie may underperform(it could never actually bomb) so there may be no sequel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Neo Rasa posted:

Looking at the basic structure of Genisys, I'm sure on paper and as a pitch it sounds like an amazing movie. Plus easy $$$ since it will get heavy marketing and stars Arnold.

Smith was probably a huge fan of the first two films so yeah, this probably sounded like a good opportunity.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

And the part of my original post that didn't result in the derail mentioned how I thought I had read something about his part being expanded in a planned sequel. I don't have a source for that though and may have that wrong. Plus it seems like this movie may underperform(it could never actually bomb) so there may be no sequel.

Unless it super bombs, the movie will get sequels. They have this whole thing set up for the trilogy because after that they lose the Terminator rights entirely

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Basebf555 posted:

He definitely has an expanded role in the sequels, massively so. And the two sequels are already outlined and in pre-production .

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
People saying there will be no sequel.... I thought they filmed all three of the new trilogy back to back.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

People saying there will be no sequel.... I thought they filmed all three of the new trilogy back to back.

Mother of God. I try not to be too down on this but the idea of there being two more after this no matter what is hella depressing.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Smith is being careful about what roles he takes in America because he saw how David Tennant's career took a nosedive here (it's getting better). He's been offered literally hundreds of roles. He turned down a role in the Hobbit and the new Star Wars. I don't know what made hi think Terminator was a good place to start his American film career but he must have his reasons.

Are you this guy's agent or something? All of your reasoning sounds like you're talking about Benedict Cumberbatch or Martin Freeman or someone who's actually popular outside of nerds.

Also lol at "being careful about choosing his roles" and not understanding the reasoning why he took this role. As his agent I figured you'd understand how money works.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

Mother of God. I try not to be too down on this but the idea of there being two more after this no matter what is hella depressing.

Not if Arnold follows us all the way through!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Burkion posted:

At this point I wish Arnold would conserve his strength for when he shows up in a Marvel movie as Nick Fury's father.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd love to see Arnold do a Predator sequel. I mean really, who gives a poo poo at this point, he certainly doesn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Parachute posted:

Are you this guy's agent or something? All of your reasoning sounds like you're talking about Benedict Cumberbatch or Martin Freeman or someone who's actually popular outside of nerds.

Also lol at "being careful about choosing his roles" and not understanding the reasoning why he took this role. As his agent I figured you'd understand how money works.

I LOVE HIM DON'T QUESTION OUR LOVE OKAY I WILL CUT YOU.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

No, not at all. They're fast-tracking the next two movies, yes, but Genisys was shot on its own.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

No, not at all. They're fast-tracking the next two movies, yes, but Genisys was shot on its own.

That does kind of make me want to see Peter Jackson's Terminator.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Good god.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Burkion posted:

It is funny if you think about it: Arnold is a different Terminator (who dies) in every one of the movies. There's no real continuity, but it FEELS like there is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No fate but what we make.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Genisys currently has a 17% rating on RT. :dogbutton:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Sasquatch! posted:

I think the biggest reason they are hiding him from any promos is because MEGASPOILERS he is playing Skynet and it is really difficult to cut material for the trailer without spoiling that. Having just seen the film, I am surprised how much I didn't hate it. I went in kind of wanting to laugh at how bad it would be, but it was actually quite interesting and funny. The third act is your usual cgi-shitfest like everything else these days, but the first half is good enough to sit through the rest. Yes, Jai Courtney is still a generic dude v2 (but has probably the funniest lines and delivers them on point), and the timelines and scifi-jargon is so messy that turning off your brain is required (for real, not in a "it's a lovely movie, have fun" way), otherwise you'd die trying to think it through.
Arnold's performance wasn't as "robotic" as it used to be (you could say that's due to his character's time spent among people learning how to act, but it doesn't explain why he still can't smile without looking like a retard) and he was basically the comic relief of the movie most of the time. Some people will hate this film for whatever reasons, but I'm glad that they basically went "gently caress it" and floored it. It's kind of like Jurassic World in how they are referencing the originals but still trying something new, expect this doesn't feel so cynical and meh. That's why people are probably going to either really like it or hate it. It's kind of batshit crazy.
For example: The main characters get arrested in the middle of the day/afternoon but the film suddenly cuts to night (still on the same location) only to have a Cops (bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do?) reference/parody out of nowhere. That happens, among other things.

not trolled not crying fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 25, 2015

• Locked thread