Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

n0n0 posted:

I'm seeing scattered reports on the internet indicating that certain SATA 3.0 drives don't like wdidle3, but they're scattered and inconsistent. Regardless, the drives I want to do this with are a couple of years old.

Yeah, should work, just remember that "raid isn't backup" is especially important to remember with old drives not meant for this even if you do disable head parking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

H2SO4 posted:

Does FreeNAS really do some weird ZFS voodoo that prevents pools from being recognized on other platforms? That's disappointing.

I just started dipping my toe into the ZFS pool (that was truly an unintentional pun, but I'm proud of it). I started with Nexenta which was terrible in both performance and management. I just swapped over to the latest FreeNAS build and while management has improved performance is still not where I'd hoped to see it. I'm currently setup with two mirrored vdevs of 2x2TB 7200rpm HGST SATA disks in one pool and my write rate seems to "breathe" between 60-40MBps when copying over network, but a single drive should be capable of nearly double that. It's running on a box with an i7-870 with 16G of memory so it shouldn't really be starved for resources. An iostat seems to suggest that it is disk activity that's holding things up and I'd just like to get a gut check on what I'm seeing. Compression is enabled, and I've tried with and without dedupe without much difference.

Afaik it uses something called GEOM which is some from FreeBSD if I am not mistaken. Did you use ashift=12?

You could try Napp It, or ZFS guru. Or you know, just use the command line :) ZFS itself is two commands and the whole is pretty set and forget.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I don't think FreeNAS does anything active to try and prevent pools from moving around, it's just that there are differences between ZFS implementations so you have to make sure the implementation you're migrating to has a superset of the features you're moving from.

I do not think it can hurt to try exporting the pool, booting to a live CD, and trying to mount it to see if it works. I haven't heard of any specific bug where mounting an incompatible zpool would damage it but you should have backups anyway.

First thing you should do is just move files onto and off of it locally (dev/zero onto it and dev/null off of it, without compression, if you don't have other fast local storage) and see what kind of speeds you get. I'm betting it's something else, probably samba if you're using it because samba is flaky as hell and wants to be tweaked obsessively.

e:

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Afaik it uses something called GEOM which is some from FreeBSD if I am not mistaken. Did you use ashift=12?

You could try Napp It, or ZFS guru. Or you know, just use the command line :) ZFS itself is two commands and the whole is pretty set and forget.

I'm not familiar with FreeNAS but even if FreeNAS forces geom use it should still write through cleanly to the drives. I used geom when I created my pool to force ashift=9 for better space efficiency; got me a full extra TB at some cost to throughput which can't be realized over the network anyway. After creating it I exported it, removed the virtual geom devices, and imported it normally and have had no issues.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 17, 2015

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

H2SO4 posted:

performance stuff
I had similar issues, and I found I had two intersecting things causing it:
(1) crappy NIC on the remote computer. Intel NICs for everyone!
(2) I was using the pool to run uTorrent on. As in, downloading poo poo directly to the pool. Turns out this is not a great plan, and can substantially degrade performance. So now I download stuff to a small SSD I had laying around and sweep all the completed downloads to the larger pool every few days.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

NAS4Free also uses GEOM, so it's not just FreeNAS, at least. While you can manually set up the pool without GEOM, my impression was that you'd be fine on any FreeBSD-based system (that supports the version your pool is or higher), and your only "gotcha" would be if you later tried to pull it over to a ZFS-on-Linux system that didn't play well with GEOM devices. Which for me was never going to be an issue, since having fixed the above issues, I've been stable at 90+MB/s read/write for months (Supermicro X9/E3-1230/16GB/4x2TB Red's in Z1). Set it and forget it.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 17, 2015

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Sounds like your network card could be the bottleneck. Is it a marvel controller?

It's an Intel PRO/1000 adapter so I don't think that would be the issue. You may be onto something with the controllers though, they're just Vantec add-on cards that Fry's had in stock.

I do have the mirrors split between two controllers so if one blows up I'd still have a functioning set of disks from each vdev. I'm not above buying a decent controller card and testing.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Did you use ashift=12?

Looks like FreeNAS did that automatically. The thing is, 3 of the four drives are actually not advanced format, could that be a contributing factor? I also just realized that one of the drives is a Seagate that does use 4k sectors, so I can't imagine that would be a good thing when used in a mirror with a device that's 512b.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 17, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

H2SO4 posted:

It's an Intel PRO/1000 adapter so I don't think that would be the issue. You may be onto something with the controllers though, they're just Vantec add-on cards that Fry's had in stock.

I do have the mirrors split between two controllers so if one blows up I'd still have a functioning set of disks from each vdev. I'm not above buying a decent controller card and testing.

Looks like FreeNAS did that automatically. The thing is, 3 of the four drives are actually not advanced format, could that be a contributing factor? I also just realized that one of the drives is a Seagate that does use 4k sectors, so I can't imagine that would be a good thing when used in a mirror with a device that's 512b.

I think your drive setup is probably (but not absolutely) a red herring, since I have a freenas box with similar write speeds but far different hardware/pool setup:
I see similar write speeds to you (65-70ish max), and from what I can tell it's just down to networking in FreeNAS, or rather some arcane setting in the networking stuff that I don't know about. I've tried both a windows client over SMB and a Synology DS1813+ over NFS, and neither could write to the synology box at anything over 65-70 MB/sec. In my case the FreeNAS (and windows) box has an Intel NIC, a haswell i3, 8 gigs of ram, and two controllers, an LSI-9211-8i and an IBM M1505 flashed to LSI 9211 IT firmware. The real LSI card has one pool with 8 3tb seagate SAS drives in raid-z2, the M1505 has 4 4tb WD Reds in Raid-Z, and both pools get the exact same write speed. FIO tests on the actual box write far faster, and closer to what you would expect for pools of disks that size, well over 100MB/sec ish range for a 16 gig write. (Also with no dedupe enabled.)

I just ended up giving up on finding the root of it, since after I was done restoring my media library to the box the write speeds were not a huge terrible issue anyhow.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The GEOM stuff in any FreeBSD based NAS distros is loving bullshit. Defeats the point of OpenZFS.

Also, if ZFS in FreeBSD still treats drives differently whether it's a partition or a whole disk, as ZFS always did in Solaris, then data integrity could be affected, because flushing outstanding writes is impaired.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I use my NAS mainly for DLNA at home and backup but it would be nice the odd time I want to access it at work or elsewhere if I could actually access it remotely. Its all set up, and once or twice it has worked for me but usually doesn't outside my home network. Buffalo Linkstation 421. Cloud is set up on the device, are there any common things in my router config I should look out for?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 17, 2015

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

codo27 posted:

I use my NAS mainly for DLNA at home and backup but it would be nice the odd time I want to access it at work or elsewhere if I could actually access it remotely. Its all set up, and once or twice it has worked for me but usually doesn't outside my home network. Buffalo Linkstation 421. Cloud is set up on the device, are there any common things in my router config I should look out for?

Use a static IP on the NAS, port forward on the router to it for the services you want to use. Register a dynamic DNS name for easier reference.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

H2SO4 posted:

Maybe you should try installing something like OpenIndiana or something. It gives you ZFS and Solaris which is pretty awesome.

ZFS on Linux also works really good.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

welp, I'm on 3 out of 4 of those seagate MD3000 drives taking a poo poo on me in one month.

I don't even know if I want to RMA them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

RMA, then flip them on eBay to pay for some Reds.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

RMA, then flip them on eBay to pay for some Reds.

Good plan!

Out of Warranty
This drive is out of warranty with Seagate.

Probably just gonna buy another red and replace the 4th and final seagate drive I will ever buy. I guess these things only had a 1 or 2 year warranty and not 5 like I had imagined.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I found an insane person in SA-Mart http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726170

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Should we tell him or let him find out the hard way?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

yeah speaking of hard ways, I've hit a point where I'm not sure if I should try anything else or just cry about it and start over.

I copied what I thought was a clean set of files over to a secondary nas as a backup. What I'm sorta kinda figuring out right now, is that in the act of replacing one of those goddamn seagate drives, I guess another drive that kept offlining, went and corrupted my files but nas4free cleared out the errors and I thought it had fixed the corrupt files.

I guess maybe it didn't, and it just let me go ahead and rsync corrupt files over to my backup NAS. I went ahead and nuked the old lovely seagate nas today and started copying back the files that were on the backup to the primary and now i'm finding plenty of files that just don't open which leads me to figure hey, everything on the whole nas may just be totally hosed right? Is there any sort of thing I can do to find the corrupt files now? I assume it's a lot, I assume I've basically just ruined 7 years of stuff because of all this and it's a little depressing but a good lesson or some poo poo I suppose.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Telex posted:

yeah speaking of hard ways, I've hit a point where I'm not sure if I should try anything else or just cry about it and start over.

I copied what I thought was a clean set of files over to a secondary nas as a backup. What I'm sorta kinda figuring out right now, is that in the act of replacing one of those goddamn seagate drives, I guess another drive that kept offlining, went and corrupted my files but nas4free cleared out the errors and I thought it had fixed the corrupt files.

I guess maybe it didn't, and it just let me go ahead and rsync corrupt files over to my backup NAS. I went ahead and nuked the old lovely seagate nas today and started copying back the files that were on the backup to the primary and now i'm finding plenty of files that just don't open which leads me to figure hey, everything on the whole nas may just be totally hosed right? Is there any sort of thing I can do to find the corrupt files now? I assume it's a lot, I assume I've basically just ruined 7 years of stuff because of all this and it's a little depressing but a good lesson or some poo poo I suppose.

Were you never scrubbing your file system? If multiple drives have been failing without being detected and it's actually gotten as bad as it sounds there might be nothing you can do.

I'd see what ZFS thinks (zfs status) and scrub your system now (zpool scrub) and see if that helps. ZFS should at least realize that it's reading corrupted files and they should actually get fixed upon reading, so you should never be seeing corrupt files unless it's already beyond repair. We need some more information.

Though if you've already nuked the old NAS and only have the copies on the backup it may be too late for anything.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Desuwa posted:

Were you never scrubbing your file system? If multiple drives have been failing without being detected and it's actually gotten as bad as it sounds there might be nothing you can do.

I'd see what ZFS thinks (zfs status) and scrub your system now (zpool scrub) and see if that helps. ZFS should at least realize that it's reading corrupted files and they should actually get fixed upon reading, so you should never be seeing corrupt files unless it's already beyond repair. We need some more information.

Though if you've already nuked the old NAS and only have the copies on the backup it may be too late for anything.

I was running a weekly scrub, and it claimed things were fine. Things may still be fine, I may have just had some bad files in general, I'm copying the backup raid over right now to find out what's what.

The problem was that three drives failed in short order. One at first, with a second while I was resilvering the first time. The third drive died a couple times before I could get the replacement drives for the second and third.

Before I nuked the old nas, it was up to around 2 million data errors and claimed they were unrecoverable. It was writing new files fine, but accessing old stuff was not working out. I may be overreacting and I may have a clean backup, I'm just not sure how to find out short of literally opening every single file on the raid to find out. I tried a few and it didn't work and figured it was best to just wait and copy the whole raid over and sort it out later. There's always a chance something else horked a file on my desktop prior to copying it to the NAS (I do recording work on my laptop/desktop and throw it on the NAS for storage when it's done) but I don't know.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Looking for some advice on setting up a HP Gen8 Microserver.
I currently have 2x4TB HDDs for it and would like the ability to expand with additional drives in the future.
Its primarily purpose is to be a NAS, but I would also like to run a couple VMs on it.

Mainly I can't decide how I want to set up my drives.
Right now my vague plan is to install esxi (to boot from SD or USB flash drive), and having a VM with Xpenology to manage the drives (as I understand, synology's "SHR" is very flexible in terms of adding drives, my main reason for choosing that).
But then if xpenology is managing the SHR, would it even be possible to be able to run other VMs from the same drives? Would all my VMs need to be installed on the SD/USBstick?

Is there some other option that would make more sense?

Also couple other esxi questions:
The server comes with a celeron processor, and is upgradable to a xeon. Esxi hardware compatibility lists says it suppoerts the xeon version, but not celeron, would I run into any issues trying to do this? I don't have money to spend on upgrading the CPU at the moment.
And should I be using "custom HP" esxi images? Is the advantage that they include the proper drivers? Any disadvantages to this?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
ESXi is super picky about hardware, anything not approved is not likely to work.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This is the first time I've ever heard of the 3TB 7200.14 Barracudas being bad. I mean, cursory googling lets me know that this has been a well known issue for years I just somehow avoided all information about it up until now. I am lucky that I decided to read this thread.

I have four of them in RAID0 with roughly 20k hours on them and I'm scared now. Granted I wouldn't use RAID0 if I cared about the data being stored on them but that backblaze report is pretty damning. I guess it is time to buy new drives and use these seagates for whatever, maybe cut that SA-Mart goon a sick deal?

Thanks storage thread, I originally checked here for a link to that cool website that makes a graph of harddrive prices from various online retailers to show who has the best $/GB, does anyone remember what it is called? Or is it not really relevant anymore? (just buy wd reds?)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

peepsalot posted:

Also couple other esxi questions:
The server comes with a celeron processor, and is upgradable to a xeon. Esxi hardware compatibility lists says it suppoerts the xeon version, but not celeron, would I run into any issues trying to do this? I don't have money to spend on upgrading the CPU at the moment.
And should I be using "custom HP" esxi images? Is the advantage that they include the proper drivers? Any disadvantages to this?
There's a lot of people using ESXi 5.x on their Microservers, but the generation might matter (the latest ones with the shiny faces on the cases are like Gen 3 I guess? Most guides are for before). I tried it on one before on a lark and didn't experience any obvious problems. The CPU on Microservers can be anemic and the space available in the chassis insufficient to cool a regular Xeon, but unless you're actually needing a fair bit of CPU for some applications like Plex server or serving lots of media the Celeron is probably fine for most home server needs.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

necrobobsledder posted:

There's a lot of people using ESXi 5.x on their Microservers, but the generation might matter (the latest ones with the shiny faces on the cases are like Gen 3 I guess? Most guides are for before). I tried it on one before on a lark and didn't experience any obvious problems. The CPU on Microservers can be anemic and the space available in the chassis insufficient to cool a regular Xeon, but unless you're actually needing a fair bit of CPU for some applications like Plex server or serving lots of media the Celeron is probably fine for most home server needs.
From what I've read, the main thing about the celeron vs the xeon with regard to virtualization is that the celeron does not support VT-d, but I guess that's not necessarily a problem, just less performant?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

peepsalot posted:

From what I've read, the main thing about the celeron vs the xeon with regard to virtualization is that the celeron does not support VT-d, but I guess that's not necessarily a problem, just less performant?

If you don't need to pass through PCIe cards to a VM you won't need it anyways.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

If you don't need to pass through PCIe cards to a VM you won't need it anyways.

I would prefer to pass through a card to a FreeNAS/NAS4Free VM so the OS can read the smart data.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Moey posted:

I would prefer to pass through a card to a FreeNAS/NAS4Free VM so the OS can read the smart data.

Specifically if you're trying to use ZFS, not-passthrough is asking for trouble. Not sure how SHR would deal with it, though.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Ok, it sounds like I should just give up on the idea of running a hypervisor, maybe just put freenas on the bare metal and mirror my two drives in ZFS, and then I guess if I want to expand in the future I'll just add another mirrored set.

Is it possible to transition from mirrored to striped and mirrored? Or would I just have to do two separate mirrored setups.

And for some basic virtualization, it looks like I can just put vbox in a jail or something(i've never used bsd). Does that sound like a sensible plan?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

peepsalot posted:

Ok, it sounds like I should just give up on the idea of running a hypervisor, maybe just put freenas on the bare metal and mirror my two drives in ZFS, and then I guess if I want to expand in the future I'll just add another mirrored set.

Is it possible to transition from mirrored to striped and mirrored? Or would I just have to do two separate mirrored setups.

And for some basic virtualization, it looks like I can just put vbox in a jail or something(i've never used bsd). Does that sound like a sensible plan?

You could also run xpenology bare metal and use SHR for your drives. The 5.2 release supports docker.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

peepsalot posted:

You could run SmartOS, so you get Solaris, KVM and ZFS.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You could also run plain FreeBSD with bhyve+iohyve (ESXi-like hypervisor on top of zfs) and jails+iocage (sandboxing on zfs with quotas, thin-provisioning, templates) and zfs on root with full-disk encryption.

What we're getting at is that there are too many choices, and asking for recommendations will probably never get you a simple answer.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Interesting math.

Seagate/Samsung 2TB 2.5" 9.5mm drive is 30.14GB/cm3
Seagate/Samsung 8TB 3.5" 25.4mm drive is only 21.23GB/cm3

So the 2.5" drive is by volume 42% more dense than its 3.5" cousin. So in the same unit volume as the 3.5" drive the 2.5" can achieve ~11.3TB.

Of course density isn't everything but fun to know.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I'm setting up a Western Digital EX2100 and am having a hard time SSHing into it remotely. I can get into it fine from a local device and am prompted for my credentials/can ping the box remotely, but it won't take either the password nor a SSH key. As an aside, if anyone else has this box, would you be able to recommend how to prevent everything in ~/ from being deleted when the box is restarted?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm trying to get my head around Glacier.

I have 300GB of photos on my Synology and want to put them in Glacier in case of fire.

If I understand this right, I can setup the Synology App and it will upload them in the background to EU (Ireland)

Costs are Storage: $0.011 per GB = $3.30 / month

If I need to recover all 300GB, then I pay a retrieval fee of $0.011 per GB = $3.30
plus a data transfer fee of $0.090 per GB = $27.00

All plus taxes.

Is that right, or am I missing something here?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

gnrk posted:

I'm setting up a Western Digital EX2100 and am having a hard time SSHing into it remotely. I can get into it fine from a local device and am prompted for my credentials/can ping the box remotely, but it won't take either the password nor a SSH key. As an aside, if anyone else has this box, would you be able to recommend how to prevent everything in ~/ from being deleted when the box is restarted?

Get one for cheaps? Did you turn on SSH in the web panel? Did you set the password in the web panel? AFAIK, you can't prevent ~/ from being cleared so I don't keep anything there. Its lovely but I can live with it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

I have 300GB of photos on my Synology and want to put them in Glacier in case of fire.

If I understand this right, I can setup the Synology App and it will upload them in the background to EU (Ireland)

If I need to recover all 300GB, then I pay a retrieval fee of $0.011 per GB = $3.30

All plus taxes.

You'll pay some minimal fee to upload the files in the first place, and retrieval is all kinds of slow, but yes that's pretty much the gist of it.

If you have Prime, Amazon has a free photo storage option as well.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Get one for cheaps? Did you turn on SSH in the web panel? Did you set the password in the web panel? AFAIK, you can't prevent ~/ from being cleared so I don't keep anything there. Its lovely but I can live with it.

Like I said, I can SSH into it locally, but not remotely. I set the password. I've also noticed Transmission settings reset after a reboot, do you have any idea where Transmission's config file is?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

spog posted:

All plus taxes.

Crashplan is like $5/m and you dont have any of that extra poo poo

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Crashplan is like $5/m and you dont have any of that extra poo poo

With UK prices and VAT, it works out at £87 for Crashplan and £30 for Glacier per year

I get what you are saying, but an extra $90 isn't worth it for me, if I just use this as an emergency back-up only since I prefer to keep things local.

I apprecaite the advice though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

spog posted:

With UK prices and VAT, it works out at £87 for Crashplan and £30 for Glacier per year

I get what you are saying, but an extra $90 isn't worth it for me, if I just use this as an emergency back-up only since I prefer to keep things local.

I apprecaite the advice though.

Didn't realize it was moon currency we were talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Didn't realize it was moon currency we were talking.

I come from the land where $1=£1.

Just ask Adobe, Sony, Canon, the games industry, etc,etc

Excuse me, my bottom hurts.