Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
But is there ketchup on a chip butty? I thought it was butter.

NOT THAT EITHER IS OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

pookel posted:

But is there ketchup on a chip butty? I thought it was butter.

NOT THAT EITHER IS OK

All sandwiches should be buttered. Tomato sauce is optional.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Butter is OK on a sandwich in general. I mean, a real sandwich, one that has the starch on the outside and protein on the inside and does not involve French fries in any way.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
In the UK butter goes on a sandwich where you'd put something like mayo, as near as I can tell, but it also goes where you wouldn't put mayo, unless you really loved mayo, I guess. The first time I had a sandwich from a shop with a nice thick layer of butter on the bread that you can see your teeth marks in I was hooked completely put off. Haven't had one since.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Get me a slice of bread with a nice layer of fresh salted butter straight from the farm and I'll eat it in no time.

But don't ever try to fool me with one of these disgusting vegetable-oil-based butter ersatz.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sandwiches with American-style chips in 'em are super delicious, especially PB&J plus barbecue

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Chard posted:

Sandwiches with American-style chips in 'em are super delicious, especially PB&J plus barbecue

Sir, I think you are pregnant

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Crust First posted:

In the UK butter goes on a sandwich where you'd put something like mayo, as near as I can tell, but it also goes where you wouldn't put mayo, unless you really loved mayo, I guess. The first time I had a sandwich from a shop with a nice thick layer of butter on the bread that you can see your teeth marks in I was hooked completely put off. Haven't had one since.

You know what's gross? When you put a tupperware container full of mayo in the fridge, then pull it out and mistake it for butter that had slightly melted and then re-cooled, and use it for the things you use butter for. My younger child thought the peas with "butter" were fine (and I couldn't figure out why the butter didn't melt right and looked so white), but the older child cried and sobbed that the cinnamon toast was all wrong, and refused to eat it. It was only when I spread it on bread and ate it myself that I figured out the problem.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

In Scotland I guess they are sold as "morning rolls" but I've never heard anyone refer to it as that.

Roll n Square
Roll n egg
Roll n tattie scone

It makes no sense since we are essentially saying "roll in sausage" when the sausage is actually in the roll but heh.

Also lol at black pudding in a roll being considered unique. A roll in tattie scone and black pudding is a weekend breakfast essential to most people up here.

Thrifting Day! has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Jun 25, 2015

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Also, to add, I was down in Manchester a few years ago for work and after a hard nights drinking I went into a local cafe in the morning and asked for a "roll in sausage" and was looked at by the women like I had just murdered her children.

And she returned with the order which was toast and bacon.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

reformed bad troll posted:

Also lol at black pudding in a roll being considered unique. A roll in tattie scone and black pudding is a weekend breakfast essential to most people up here.

Must be a seriously acquired taste. I was still getting urps from it after two subsequent meals.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Trip report from something I didn't know existed before today

2 chicken burgers, bacon and cheese between 2 waffles.
The sauce is maple syrup and is perhaps my new favourite thing to put on fries.

Not going to drum up a story about death as it was gorgeous and I would eat again

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

freelop posted:

Not going to drum up a story about death as it was gorgeous and I would eat again

Chicken and waffles is a noble institution but I'm not sure about sticking cheese in there and I could take or leave the bacon. You did dunk the sandwich though, right??

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Americans complain about dry sandwiches but refuse to butter the bread first it's LIKE I'M LIVING IN A CUCKOO CLOCK!

Also in NZ we call both chips (fries) and chips (crisps) "Chips"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

freelop posted:

I'd give it a try. I'd hate myself the whole time, but I'd probably secretly love it, too.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Americans complain about dry sandwiches but refuse to butter the bread first it's LIKE I'M LIVING IN A CUCKOO CLOCK!

I think part of it is leftover feelings from the "SATURATED FAT IS LITERALLY THE WORST POSSIBLE THING YOU CAN EAT BUTTER WILL KILL YOU" craze of the 80s. When my parents were children buttering the bread on a sandwich was a perfectly normal thing to do, but most people my age seem to think it's disgusting.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

I think part of it is leftover feelings from the "SATURATED FAT IS LITERALLY THE WORST POSSIBLE THING YOU CAN EAT BUTTER WILL KILL YOU" craze of the 80s. When my parents were children buttering the bread on a sandwich was a perfectly normal thing to do, but most people my age seem to think it's disgusting.

Of the eighties? Do you live in some sort of weird anomaly where you get crazes from the future or something? People still freak out about that kinda poo poo. I mean, hell, we've had people freak out in here the last time that came up because of the exact reason you gave.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Here's a pro tip to butter on bread, or any condiment, even Marmite!

DON'T USE SO loving MUCH GOD DAMNIT

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Of the eighties? Do you live in some sort of weird anomaly where you get crazes from the future or something? People still freak out about that kinda poo poo. I mean, hell, we've had people freak out in here the last time that came up because of the exact reason you gave.

The ~*evil food demon*~ du jour is definitely Carbs right now. Atkins isn't popular the way it was a few years ago, but people are way more open to fat these days, and carbs are the enemy.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of poo poo that's bad for your health though, finally gonna do that writeup of the Pizza Hut Hot Dog Pizza Crust thing.

As can probably be expected, it really isn't that bad, or really all that strange, crust aside. The crust was greasier than I remember, and pretty wet and floppy, but I haven't had Pizza Hut in forever so maybe I'm just remembering it wrong. We decided on meat lovers because if you're gonna order a hot dog crust pizza, goddammit you might as well go whole hog with the meat thing. With me I had a former roommate and a compulsive couch surfer for second and third opinions.

The base pizza itself was pretty standard, nothing really interesting. But what was strange was that they brushed this strange glaze on top of it that nobody in the room could recognize, and to each person it seemed different. To me it tasted like a very slight mustard, to the ex roommate it was a weird sweet honey sauce, and couch surfer couldn't tell it was there at all. Aside from being brushed over the majority of the pizza, seems like it was mixed into the edges of the crust as well, mainly in the hot dog gaps. Both of us who noticed it liked it though, and I'd definitely order it on another pizza if I could.

The hot dogs were pretty unremarkable to me, but if I do hot dogs I usually just go with bottom shelf oscar mayer or something to that effect. More of a brat and other sausage guy myself, but ex roommate really hated them, and pawned his off on couch surfer, who loved them. I think the advertising made a big deal of the hot dogs being a specific brand that I never heard of, so maybe we're just out of the loop? :shrug:

Overall though, it's just kind of there, and outside of the audacity of the idea and the terrible things consuming something like that regularly would do to your health, I didn't mind it. And now, thinking back on it from monday, I kind of want to spread that mustard sauce or whatever it was all over everything now.

Edit: Oh, right, I forgot, speaking of mustard, they packed a gigantic tub of french's mustard with the pizza, way more than you could ever use unless you were taking huge globs of it with every dip or something. Despite talking up the mustard sauce or whatever, I actually hate mustard on it's own, but I gave it a shot with a dip of the pizza and the bites, but it still couldn't win me over, and outside of what I took, nobody touched the thing. Seems like such a weird decision.

ACES CURE PLANES has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Jun 25, 2015

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

1. We complain about dry sandwiches? Huh?
2. There are about a zillion things you can put on sandwiches besides butter to make them not-dry.
3. Butter costs about 10x as much as most of those things and is also hard to spread on soft bread if kept refrigerated.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

1. We complain about dry sandwiches? Huh?
2. There are about a zillion things you can put on sandwiches besides butter to make them not-dry.
3. Butter costs about 10x as much as most of those things and is also hard to spread on soft bread if kept refrigerated.
4. Butter on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is weird.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mayonnaise on a sandwich? Disgusting! You should slather it in butter and put goddamn fries on it like a child, that's how you make a real meal that adults eat for some reason.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pookel posted:

Keep your butter in a butter dish on the table, you heathen

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

pookel posted:

is also hard to spread on soft bread if kept refrigerated.

did you figure this out before or after you made your kid eat cinnamayo toast

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

if I do hot dogs I usually just go with bottom shelf oscar mayer

Oscar Meyer dogs are not bottom-shelf, they're the good ones. Only half-a-step behind the Koegel's all-beef natty casing franks. :colbert:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

titties posted:

Oscar Meyer dogs are not bottom-shelf, they're the good ones. Only half-a-step behind the Koegel's all-beef natty casing franks. :colbert:

Yeah, if you want bottom the the barrel go for the Bar-S 5lb bulk pack. You used to be able to find a 1 lb pack of 4 for anywhere from .25 - .75 at walmart over the summers.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Not sure what you mean really. We don't eat sandwiches on dry plain bread. But, what we often spread on that bread isn't usually butter.

So they're not dry, but they also don't have butter on them. They have other things. Does that make sense? Like, you can see how both thing can be true? Not buttered doesn't equal dry. Not buttered can mean that something other than butter was used.

I'm just trying to cover all the bases here. I don't put butter on most sandwiches, but I do put other condiments on them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jmcrofts posted:

The ~*evil food demon*~ du jour is definitely Carbs right now. Atkins isn't popular the way it was a few years ago, but people are way more open to fat these days, and carbs are the enemy.

It's so ridiculous. The way Atkins works (and it does, with caveats) is by cutting out ALL carbs, like absolute zero, which is the only thing that triggers the bodyhack. Just reducing your carb intake by like 30% or whatever doesn't do a drat thing except make you more annoying to eat with.

As with so many things, people have absorbed the first half of the single-sentence gist of a thing, and missed the rest, like the Nazis reading that medallion inscription off that dudes hand

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

When I make sandwiches at home I don't butter my bread either. But usualy I'm having something like ham and mustard or roast meat and mustard or avacardo.

I will admit my food sin of buying Dominos Ranch Dressing, the stuff for dipping their chicken nuggets in, and spreading it on my thing crust meatlovers pizza. Tastes so good.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, if you want bottom the the barrel go for the Bar-S 5lb bulk pack. You used to be able to find a 1 lb pack of 4 for anywhere from .25 - .75 at walmart over the summers.

The neon red coloring not found in nature really sets the mood of "I'm drunk feed me meatstuff "

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

4. Butter on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is weird.
You're weird.

The Ferret King posted:

Not sure what you mean really. We don't eat sandwiches on dry plain bread. But, what we often spread on that bread isn't usually butter.
"Butter's so bad for you, I can't believe you put it on all your sandwiches! You should use something healthy like mayonnaise instead!" :rolleyes:

Gridlocked posted:

When I make sandwiches at home I don't butter my bread either. But usualy I'm having something like ham and mustard or roast meat and mustard or avocado.
All of those would be better with butter though.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Good god, how you people have a lower obesity rate than America I will never know.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Danger Mahoney posted:

Good god, how you people have a lower obesity rate than America I will never know.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Danger Mahoney posted:

Here's a pro tip to butter on bread, or any condiment, even Marmite!

DON'T USE SO loving MUCH GOD DAMNIT

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

americans! Americans!!! AMERICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Haverchuck posted:

americans! Americans!!! AMERICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Chard posted:

Chicken and waffles is a noble institution but I'm not sure about sticking cheese in there and I could take or leave the bacon. You did dunk the sandwich though, right??

Poured the syrup all over like regular waffles

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Tiggum posted:

You're weird.

"Butter's so bad for you, I can't believe you put it on all your sandwiches! You should use something healthy like mayonnaise instead!" :rolleyes:

I'm not making that claim at all. I just said I don't put butter on my sandwiches. I use butter a lot in other dishes. Like, even though I understand that it's typical for other cultures to butter sandwich bread, that's not what I do. I also don't know that buttering sandwich bread is typical of most Americans.

So, basically I'm saying that I like butter, but I use different things for my sandwiches and I think that's the norm over here in the US. I do not think it is wrong that others use butter. It is just not what I use.

Am I making sense here or do you still have questions or concerns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Danger Mahoney posted:

Australia is second in obesity rates to only the US, and their numbers are climbing faster than anywhere else in the world.

• Locked thread