Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
NULLED: Alan Wake, American Nightmare I really liked the original Alan Wake because of the story, even though the gameplay became repetitive and not very fun. So AN kept the gameplay and made the story worse. Not sure what the point was but there you go.

NULLED: Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians Wanted to like this game, it's a rhythm puzzle platformer that has some nice art and it starts out fun, but the gameplay gets a bit old after a while.

NULLED: Cook, Serve, Delicious One long stressful QTE and the reward is more of the same? Not my kind of game I guess, I know it gets a lot of love here.

NULLED: Greed Corp Meh indie bundle folder whatever

BEATEN: Life Is Strange, Episodes 1-3 Well that ending to episode 3 was a thing :staredog: The downside of the game is cheesy teenager stuff written by a 50 year old, the upside is that the game still manages to be charming and the time rewind mechanic is very well done.

NULLED Naval Warfare A shmup but in water so it's... just a shmup with a gimmick.

VVV - that looks like it would have been a good game :smith:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

American Nightmare is basically the scrapped plans for Alan Wake 2 shoved into a playable product. Originally Alan becomes a folk legend and all the rumors of him murdering his wife end up creating Mr. Scratch, his evil doppleganger. Remedy made their original pitch video public if you want to look it up. If the game seems all over the place it's because they stopped development entirely and tried to save everything they could into DLC.

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
Beaten: Alice - Madness Returns This was more fun and platformy than I was expecting. Not a perfect game, but it kept me interested, and I enjoyed the artwork.

Beaten: Bulletstorm I had read that this was a big, dumb dude-bro game with dumb writing. Turns out it's actually a parody of those games. I loved the combat, and got several laughs out of the dialogue and in jokes aimed at gamers. I'll be playing through this one again.

I'm currently playing Saints Row The Third. Tis my first Saints Row game, and it's been cracking me up everytime I play it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
NULLED: Afterfall InSanity Extended Edition - A very janky eastern european sci-fi zombie game. There seems to be some potential here, but man the game is buggy (at least twice I've been stuck because of doors not opening and have had to reload), the door hacking minigame is absolutely atrocious, and instead of having a minimap or arrow on screen which shows you where to go, you have to bring out your PDA and move at a snail's pace. The only good thing was an achievement for killing people with an axe called Here's Albert :black101: Looks like it's not even available on Steam anymore because the developers didn't pay royalties for using the Unreal engine :v: Also there's an LP so I may just watch that instead.

NULLED: Eador: Genesis Remember HoMM? I do. This is an indie game that is basically HoMM, complete with "retro" UI, art, etc. I wasn't a big fan of it, so don't ask me if this is a good HoMM clone.

NULLED: Eador: Masters of the Broken World This appears to be just Eador: Genesis remade with better production values. And it does look pretty nice, I will admit that. But…

POSTPONED: Fable - The Lost Chapters only because this is supposed to be a legendary game but I accidentally hit someone when I started and then everyone started referring to me as demon spawn.

POSTPONED: King's Bounty: Warriors of the North - Viking HoMM. It doesn't take itself seriously at all - the very first mission is making a beer run in a dungeon. I am not a big fan of HoMM-style games but this one may eventually get a shot.

NULLED: Kingdom Rush - Tower Defense game. Even though it seems like a pretty good tower defense game, I don't like the genre so out it goes :(

NULLED: Legend of Grimrock - Generic first person dungeon crawler blargh

POSTPONED: Lord of the Rings: War in the North - Many Steam reviews say this game does not like ATI video cards, with some chapters being all but unplayable. Maybe if I get an Nvidia card someday - I'll need an upgrade to play Witcher 3 anyway. Game seems to have potential though, I liked what I saw for the most part even if it was basically taking Dragon Age Origins and slapping a LOTR label on it.

NULLED: Orcs Must Die! - gently caress tower defense games even though this one is pretty good.

NULLED: Orcs Must Die 2! - Again gently caress tower defense games, especially if they all but require co-op, and no the third person hack-and-slash doesn't make it great.

NULLED: Ravensword: Shadowlands - Awful generic Skyrim-wannabe with terrible controls, everyone clipping everywhere, combat was not even fun. Played for two minutes and that was enough. I guess this was a mobile game first, and maybe playing it on mobile would be fine since expectations would be a lot lower, but when porting it to the PC, well, :effort:.

NULLED: Rise of the Argonauts - Hack-and-slash, BAD camera, all the quality you expect from a Codemasters game.

NULLED: Risen - Generic WRPG

NULLED: Risen 2 - Dark Waters - Generic WRPG sequel

NULLED: Rush Bros - Looks like a fun co-op game but I don't play co-op so nope.

NULLED: Sacred 2 Gold - "You, a mage, have shanked a fellow student and thus know all we can teach you. Please exit the gate of our school and immediately get jumped by a small mob and enjoy fighting them for a while." You know I didn't really enjoy Diablo all that much come to think of it, and I won't play this one to completion so may as well remove it from the backlog.

NULLED: Saint's Row 2 - I gave this a chance complete with the Gentlemen of the Row mod and oh god the jank. I can see the 'tude and why some people like it, but it's very dated.

POSTPONED: Silent Storm Gold Edition - Looks like a nice tactical combat game ala X-Com - not sure how well it has held up in the 11 years since it came out. I may give this another try, I got stuck in the opening Allies level since it told me to pick up the "commander's body" but there was no way to tell who the commander was :shrug:

NULLED: Stealth Bastard Deluxe - Oh hey it's Super Meat Boy with stealth, that's like my favorite genre ever except for all the others

POSTPONED: The Swapper - Looks good, I like the mechanic.

POSTPONED: Torchlight - Looks a lot more fun than Sacred 2. Plus I have a pet cat named Spot.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

POSTPONED: Lord of the Rings: War in the North - Many Steam reviews say this game does not like ATI video cards, with some chapters being all but unplayable. Maybe if I get an Nvidia card someday - I'll need an upgrade to play Witcher 3 anyway. Game seems to have potential though, I liked what I saw for the most part even if it was basically taking Dragon Age Origins and slapping a LOTR label on it.

Only play this if you can find two friends who are willing to slog through the most generic hack-n-slash with you. A lot of the game is a pain in the rear end with the idiot AI partners. As in, "defend this point for like 10 minutes from waves of orcs coming from two directions," and not-Gimli/not-Aragorn/not-Arwen have no concept of staying where you put them. (Game does have a rad eagle though.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Movac posted:

Only play this if you can find two friends who are willing to slog through the most generic hack-n-slash with you. A lot of the game is a pain in the rear end with the idiot AI partners. As in, "defend this point for like 10 minutes from waves of orcs coming from two directions," and not-Gimli/not-Aragorn/not-Arwen have no concept of staying where you put them. (Game does have a rad eagle though.)

Welp. Guess I am spoiled by either decent AI or ones where at least you have control over stupid squadmates like The Bureau.

Also "defend this point" missions are stale now. Take a lesson from Patton:

quote:

Now there's another thing I want you to remember. I don't want to get any messages saying that "we are holding our position." We're not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the rear end. We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose!

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Small update again.

BEAT - Melissa K And The Heart of Gold
A very pretty, but extremely confusing HOG. Honestly, this is the most confusing story I've seen in a hidden object game. There's also plenty of stuff that is basically impossible to find without a hint, and plenty of puzzles that don't make sense (you take a raw banana, dip it into a cold puddle of cooking oil, and suddenly it's ripe). Don't see a reason to try and complete it.

COMPLETE - Thomas Was Alone
I actually already beat this once on the PS3, but it was worth a redo. I think the characters and writing are charming, the platforming is solid, and the whole thing doesn't overstay it's welcome. The (free) DLC is pretty weak, but eh, it's only 30 minutes or so long.

BEAT - Tetrobot & Co
This was a fantastic game. They took the solid primary mechanic from Blocks That Matter, took out the platforming part, and added a rewind button to top it off. By far one of the best puzzle games I've played in a while, along with Full Bore. I got 100%, but I didn't uninstall it since I'll try to get all the challenge achievements as well. If this shows up in the summer sale, don't hesitate to grab it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Cleared away a few games from the old backlog.

Nulled: Block Legend DX
A fun little match-3 RPG where waepons and items carry over to the next game. Had enough of it after a few hours, but good times were had until then.

Nulled: Iron Sky Invasion
Just as janky as the movie, it's an arcade space shooter with awful FMV sections.

Nulled: Jones On Fire
An endless runner where you are a fire fighter saving kittens from the all engulfing forest fire. I liked the graphics style but there honestly isn't any gameplay to hold your attention more than 5 minutes.

Finished: Saints Row: Gat out of Hell
Kragger and I completed this game from beginning to end in co-op, which was pretty drat fun. If you enjoyed the super power aspect of SR4, this is more of the same but in a new and smaller location.
Sadly the insurance fraud part was totally broken in co-op, as we saw next to no cars at all. I later tried it in single player, just to be sure, and there were suddenly plenty of cars, and I could easily get gold on all difficulty levels.

Nulled: Shovel Knight
Got stuck on a timed jump puzzle that I simply couldn't beat. After 10-15 tries, I quit. Before that, it was actually a pretty good experience, but I knew it just wouldn't get easier, so there was no point in continuing.

Nulled: Thomas Was Alone
Absolutely loved this and the whole narration thing, but once again my good times were cut short by a timed jump puzzle. Life is too short for timed jump puzzles.

Finished: Type:Rider
A short platformer themed around fonts and font history.

And now a shitload of games I nulled without even installing them, as I know with 100% certainty, I'll never ever play them. They were all selected because they had cards though, so SAM has been working overtime this weekend:
Always The Same Blue Sky..., Heileen 2: The Hands of Fate, Labyrinthine Dreams, Lilly and Sasha: Curse of the Immortals, Lilly and Sasha: Nexus of Souls, Pacific Storm, Pacific Storm: Allies, Soul Gambler, Unhack, X-note.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Fart of Presto posted:

Absolutely loved this and the whole narration thing, but once again my good times were cut short by a timed jump puzzle. Life is too short for timed jump puzzles.

Which one? Because I think that one killed me too rising water or something and having to time jumps between various things, I don't remember the specifics. I haven't played it since, too bad because IMHO if you are going to introduced a tricky timed bit into a normally chill platform game, you should just do what LA Noire did and say "hey you are having trouble did you just want to skip this part?"

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Fart of Presto posted:

If you want, I can try and send you a save game for it. I think it definitely is worth finishing for the story.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

monster on a stick posted:

Which one? Because I think that one killed me too rising water or something and having to time jumps between various things, I don't remember the specifics. I haven't played it since, too bad because IMHO if you are going to introduced a tricky timed bit into a normally chill platform game, you should just do what LA Noire did and say "hey you are having trouble did you just want to skip this part?"
Yeah, GTA V also had this in the story missions and while I never used it, I appreciate that you can actually continue and skip some parts that you might be stuck on.
I actually believe it was the level with a moving wall going from left to right and you had to switch between two of the characters really fast and coordinate their movements. The level you mentioned took a few tries but I somehow got past that, but that too started to sour my experience.
Anyway, it's just one out of several thousand games so I'm not really caring that much, but it was actually a pretty nice game up until then.

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

If you want, I can try and send you a save game for it. I think it definitely is worth finishing for the story.
Nah that's OK, I've already moved on, but thanks for the offer :)

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I typically suffer from crippling indecision when I go to pick a game to play. I've tried a few different methods to help me stay focused, like using Backloggery's fortune cookie, to no avail. I recently decided to try playing a game from each letter of the alphabet (in the same fashion that we addicts buy games to finish our alphabets). This ended up working for me as the group of games in each letter was random, but I had control over which game I wanted to play in each group. I promise I am a normal functioning adult in non-video game related areas, despite how crazy this makes me sound)

The rules were pretty simple. I had to finish a game for each letter for which I had games available. If I started a game but didn't get into it, I could null it but had to start another, repeating as necessary until a game was completed. This nutty scheme actually helped me get over my video game induced brain problems and make some progress in knocking out my backlog! If anyone wants thoughts on any titles I leave out of my thoughts below I'll be glad to post them (or PM me)!

BEAT!
Aarklash Legacy
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Call of Juarez
Deadlight
Endless Space
FEAR: Extraction Point
Guacamelee
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Jamestown
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
LEGO Harry Potter 1-4
Max Payne
No N!
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Prototype
No Q!
Rage
Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth
Testament of Sherlock Holmes
No U!
Valdis Story: Abyssal City
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
XCOM: Enemy Unkown
Ys II Chronicles
No Z!

Top Three - Best In Show
XCOM was fantastic. I hear really good things about the EW expansion but this was a vanilla run. I'm stoked for XCOM 2 and might even pick up EW for a playthrough if I have time.
Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the few games I've replayed to completion. I really love it.
Inustice: Gods Among Us was a surprise. I'm awful at fighting games and even though I know goons rag on the story I really enjoyed basically playing a comic book. I hadn't really been exposed to most of the DC properties outside of Batman/Superman and can definitely say I'm more interested in their characters now thanks to this game.

Honorable Mentions
Guacamelee, Rage, and Ys I&II Chronicles!

Worst in Show (or, Fifteen of Many's Bad Opinions
Deadlight - The first two minutes were pretty good, and I loved how the title card was done. The gameplay itself was pretty so-so, and an hour in I was ready to be done with it's poor platforming.
Kingdoms of Amalur - People describe this as single player WoW, which I've played. I thought "yeah, cool, I can get behind that!" Ultimately I was disappointed by the lack of depth in dungeon, boss and gear design. Pretty game world though.
Call of Juarez - The game itself was fun, but this is the most unstable game I actually finished. If you pick it up just be warned that the game may crash frequently.

Nulled Along the Way (and why)
FEAR: Perseus Mandate - Found out the two expansions are ignored by the sequels and figured I'd skip expansion two myself.
Hitman: Codename 47/Contracts/Blood Money - Try as I might I just could not get into these. Blood Money isn't a bad game, by the way. I played about half of it and just felt like my time to fun ratio wasn't quite enough to finish it out.
Saints Row 2 - Wouldn't work even with GotR.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 - Also wouldn't work.
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 - I just wanted to play a drat Star Wars game. This one wouldn't work either - poo poo the bed about three or four levels in and then just refused to launch ever again.

Overall I'm really happy with the progress I made. I know they're just video games but I have to admit I kindof had an internal fist-bump when I finished Ys II. I'll probably stick to this method as I start my next set of games!

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 9, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishments - I will not change my opinion, Last Testament of Sherlock Holmes is a bad game. It's a bad Sherlock game and a bad game. Crimes & Punishments is soooooo much better, holy poo poo. Gone is the stupid saturday morning cartoon villainry of Moriarty, now it's just actual detective stuff, 6 cases, plenty of believable suspects, motives and alibis. Choose who is guilty, then punish them!!! Then hit a button and do it again and absolve them!!! Then hit a button and accuse someone else! Heck just accuse everyone, you can! Sherlock has just turned into a crazy person!

BEATEN: Middle-Earth - Shadow of Mordor - I don't give a gently caress about LOTR, but Shadow of Mordor is an acceptable AAA open-world game. It's ACCEPTABLE. I will not say great. I think the nemesis system is INTERESTING, but ultimately, the constant assassination of orcs just gets tiring after a while. Especially when you get to one warchief that has 4 different bodyguards you have to deal with, and if you decide to assassinate them first, those guys can have bodyguards too. It's ridiculous.

BEATEN: Advance Wars - I love the fast pace of this game. Any SRPG that lets me turn the animations off is my jam. Incidentally, the difficulty curve is pretty good in this game, but the final battle is just an annoying rear end slog where you fight over a checkpoint for hours.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Everyone else is too busy buyin' games to play them. The train rolls on!

BEATEN: Ys I - Just finished this one. Compared to the modern Ys titles, it's obviously not on the same level, but it is still fast and frenetic. Holy poo poo is it short, and apparently the Chronicles version is vastly larger than the original game, which makes me wonder if the original game can be beaten within an hour. The level cap is TEN. I've started on II and it is clearly bigger, with a higher level cap, magic usage, and amenities like a teleport wand (yay).

BEATEN: The Talos Principle - Loved this game. The various philosophies shared across all the terminals felt kind of like college student on weed philosophy, but the actual puzzles are great. The narrative of the game world is pretty much a bummer though! But I guess also kind of bleakly hopeful? I know those words don't work together but I don't know how else to describe it. Bleakly hopeful.

BEATEN: Organ Biker - I added this game purely for the cards but I played it just for the heck of it. WHAT THE gently caress. This game is not only bad but it makes no sense. The final boss spawned on level 2, which I'm pretty sure wasn't supposed to happen, I didn't kill him but the level "cleared" anyway, then I was stuck in a loop of playing the same level over and over until I died, then it put me back at level 1, then it warped me to a completely different level. Then I reached the final boss again, and after picking up a random heart pickup, the final boss cutscene suddenly started up again, and the level restarted from scratch. Then I cleared the level without beating him again (I don't even know how I'm supposed to), and once again the game was stuck in a loop. I don't even know if this game has a failure state. I think based on the virtue that I passed the final boss twice, I can mark this game as done but seriously what the gently caress.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Quest For Glory II posted:

Everyone else is too busy buyin' games to play them. The train rolls on!

I haven't been buying or playing Steam games much lately, but I did get a shiny new 3DS for my birthday, so Zelda, Mario, and Layton are getting all the attention. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is not long for my backlog because I'm at 117 stars and the remaining three a hilariously sadistic. I'm not sure how many hundreds of lives I want to throw at them.

quote:

BEATEN: Ys I - Just finished this one. Compared to the modern Ys titles, it's obviously not on the same level, but it is still fast and frenetic. Holy poo poo is it short, and apparently the Chronicles version is vastly larger than the original game, which makes me wonder if the original game can be beaten within an hour. The level cap is TEN. I've started on II and it is clearly bigger, with a higher level cap, magic usage, and amenities like a teleport wand (yay).

The coolest thing about Ys I for me was that not only is the level cap ten, but you hit the level cap pretty early on and the game does keep getting harder. You just have to be awesome enough to take on the later challenges. (It also plays better with the notion that Adol is already a pretty drat good swordsman and so there's "do the prep work for the adventure" and then "go on the adventure".) I don't know if they did it on purpose, but it's the only place I've really seen that in an RPG.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team: On a business trip, so my 3DS comes out to play. I've been a fan of this series since the beginning, but this game really wore at me. The series has always been gimmicky - focusing on the features of the platform being played on or whatever new element was added to the gameplay. But this game took that to the next level. Maybe I'm getting more cynical and opening my eyes to the re-hash factory that is Nintendo; maybe I'm tired of not having all the moves available from the beginning, so I don't have to backtrack to find hidden poo poo; or maybe it's just not a good game. In any case, I only beat it because I had this weird obligation to a series I've been playing since high school.

None of them will ever be as good as Mario RPG, though. :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Beat - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team: On a business trip, so my 3DS comes out to play. I've been a fan of this series since the beginning, but this game really wore at me. The series has always been gimmicky - focusing on the features of the platform being played on or whatever new element was added to the gameplay. But this game took that to the next level. Maybe I'm getting more cynical and opening my eyes to the re-hash factory that is Nintendo; maybe I'm tired of not having all the moves available from the beginning, so I don't have to backtrack to find hidden poo poo; or maybe it's just not a good game. In any case, I only beat it because I had this weird obligation to a series I've been playing since high school.

None of them will ever be as good as Mario RPG, though. :(

If it helps, it seems like the M&L games follow the Star Trek Movie rule in reverse, so maybe the next one will be better.

(At least, they do if you're like me and think that Partners in Time was kind of lackluster.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Poison Mushroom posted:

If it helps, it seems like the M&L games follow the Star Trek Movie rule in reverse, so maybe the next one will be better.

(At least, they do if you're like me and think that Partners in Time was kind of lackluster.)

The next one's gonna be the first one I get since Superstar Saga, solely because the idea's so full of promise.

Crossover with Paper Mario!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cleretic posted:

The next one's gonna be the first one I get since Superstar Saga, solely because the idea's so full of promise.

Crossover with Paper Mario!
Bowser's Inside Story is actually a very good game. The Kaiju Bowser bits are an absolute blast.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Yeah, I don't actually have very high expectations for the next Mario & Luigi game, just based on how the last two mario RPGs (Dream Team and Sticker Star) turned out, but Bowser's Inside Story is every bit as good as Super Star Saga, and you should really play it if you are hankering for a good M&L game.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Paper Jam looks great. But the latest entries in both series were disappointing to me, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

I actually did like Partners in Time. It really started going downhill for me with Inside Story. I think maybe I just really hate the sideways giant boss battles that rely on swiping the stylus fast. Which seems to go against popular opinion.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Paper Jam looks great. But the latest entries in both series were disappointing to me, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

I actually did like Partners in Time. It really started going downhill for me with Inside Story. I think maybe I just really hate the sideways giant boss battles that rely on swiping the stylus fast. Which seems to go against popular opinion.

I liked those (disappointingly few) moments because they were like puzzle battles. But Inside Story was way too long for how little content is actually in the game. If the game maintained the Mario/Luigi going through dungeons to pump up Bowser who explores the main world dynamic all the way through I would have liked it more. But then you leave Bowser's body and it pulls that poo poo where you go through the same locations a second time and that dynamic is never fun. Ever.

As sparse as Sticker Star was it had great music (easily the best in the Mario franchise) and fun level design. And as long winded as Dream Team was I really liked the gameplay. Combine the two and you should get the perfect game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Honestly, my biggest complaint with BIS is how much padding in the form of travel and weird mini games there are.

One or two mini games is great. Chroma Squad does the same kind of thing with the kaiju fights. But all those other little ones that only ever come up once or twice? Too much.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
QUIT - World of Warcraft Pretty much saw the parts of the game I was curious about, did some endgame content, cancelled my sub before it could take over my life.

NULLED - Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic - As an old school CRPG fan, I really wanted to like this game.I made it to the final dungeon twice in three runs without much difficulty, then wiped, which meant I had to start a whole new file each time. I lost patience after the second wipe. Though it's charming, it really had a tendency to drag: dungeons were a little too padded with uninteresting fights, and most encounters could be dealt with using identical strategies. And in a questionable design choice, your inventory can only fit 20 things and each encounter fills up your bags with mostly garbage loot. Even though I didn't see the ending, I think I'm done with this game.

BEAT - Please, Don't Touch Anything - Not much of a "game" per se, but still an enjoyable experience. I used a guide for most of the endings. Probably wouldn't have gotten it if it weren't on sale.

BEAT - Rock of Ages - I liked this one. Nice art style, quirky themes. A little rough around the edges, but rolling a ball into a gate is a pretty satisfying game mechanic. The defensive gameplay was a little clunky, though--it seemed like either I was able to utterly obliterate the enemy ball, or that my defenses weren't doing jack poo poo, with little in-between.

NULLED - Cook, Serve, Delicious - I don't really have much of a problem with this game. The graphics are clean, the gameplay was pretty enjoyable. The grind to gain stars wasn't really that interesting to me, so after about ten days I wasn't really sure what else I could get out of the game. I might pick it up again at some point but I decided to give it a rest before I got bored with it.

NULLED/POSTPONED - Microsoft Flight Simulator X - Not really playable on my current setup (laptop with touchpad). Might try it again later with a different control scheme.

NULLED - Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty - Too old, difficulty too punishing. Couldn't figure out to get past so much as the first part of the first level without getting shot to a pulp.

STARTED - LUFTRAUSERS - I like this one. Reminds me a little bit of Sopwith. Doesn't seem to be a very long or involved game- I'll probably play it for a few hours.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 21, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Ys I - Compared to the modern games, Ys I is an old relic, similar to Earthbound Beginnings, but at the very least it has the 'remake' polish applied to it. It's an incredibly short game and you only deal damage by running into enemies off-center, but it still manages to be fast and fun like the modern Ys games, and it has the great music the Ys games are known for. The bosses are pretty stupid by Ys standards, however. The final boss is some dumb pong poo poo. Of note: The level cap is 10 in this game, so each level up buffs you significantly.

BEATEN: Ys II - A big step up from the first Ys, you now have magic wands in addition to being able to ram into people diagonally, which means spamming the button to launch fireballs at enemies, so now we're starting to get closer to modern Ys pace. The game world is not considerably larger but it's slightly bigger enough that you appreciate the fast travel. Unlike the first game, the level cap is a more common 48(?), so the difficulty scales a little better. The bosses are also better than the first game, but still not as involved as the later games.

BEATEN: Sudeki - A western JRPG from 2005 for the OG Xbox, ported to PC some time ago (so it requires running as administrator in compatibility mode). It's an odd, short game. Interesting thing is that you have two melee fighters with the typical timing-based three-to-five hit combos, and you also have two magic fighters who shoot from a first person shooter perspective (and since it's 2005 you actually move at a normal FPS speed instead of loving Halo speed). Story and voice acting and art style are predictably bad given the heritage.

BEATEN: Titan Souls - As satisfying as it is frustrating. I think the frustrating part is mostly the aiming because sometimes it doesn't feel like the arrow is firing where I'm aiming. But I really do enjoy boss rush games, and this is a boss rush game at its most demanding.

ADDED: A Golden Wake, Project Black Sun, Shadow Man, Gateways, Wild ARMS 3, Momodora III, Wolfenstein Old Blood, Phantasy Star IV, Apotheon, Legend of Korra, Dead Space 3, Stealth Inc 2, J.U.L.I.A., Grow Home, Oceanhorn, The Secret World, Shantae Risky's Revenge, Life is Strange ep 1, RE Revelations 2 ep 1, Super Win the Game, Snakebird, Bunny Must Die, The Waste Land, Ys Seven, Ys Celceta

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Enjoy Wild Arms 3, it's a very unique game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

On the other hand, don't feel afraid to look up a map for Wild Arms if you get lost looking for places on the world map. I don't know why they kept using the dumb scanning system.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - Broken Age: Act 2 wasn't as good as Act 1 for me, and I think that's the general consensus. I loved the art direction and the music in this game, and it's nice to have a classic point-and-click adventure to play. The story went crazy in the second act, but I'm okay with where it landed. I can see why people were disappointed in how it ended up, but it was a good game overall.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Momodora III - Really short platformer, from what I remember the first two games were more Vania-styled, but this is more of a linear game where the levels have some branching, and you can warp between levels if you want. The aesthetic is very Cave Story. Cute inoffensive game.

BEATEN: Dominique Pamplemousse - Props for having a not terrible depiction of a non-binary protagonist, the singing is so bad in this game though. And the singing is like, the entirety of the game. The game is not as bad as, say, Karmaflow, but the game length would probably be 20 minutes long if all the dialogue was simply spoken.

BEATEN: Fairy Bloom Freesia - Added this game for cards, then tried it and was surprised by it. It's like a PS2-era game, feels almost like a single player Smash Bros, but you can level up and purchase new attacks. The environments were a little samey (it's basically Summer Forest, Autumn Forest, Winter Forest, etc). It's also a 6 on the anime scale, for people who have a tolerance limit.

BEATEN: Life is Strange Ep. 1 - Everything about this is great, it has a level of examination and exploration akin to Gone Home but with the novel style of Telltale and the rewind mechanic of Remember Me.

BEATEN: J.U.L.I.A. Among the Stars - A Myst-style adventure game with decent production values (although the CG human looks really weird). Story is kind of out there, but it's fun from a "read all the datalog entries" standpoint. The puzzles are extremely simple and seem to only exist because an adventure game needs to have them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: A Golden Wake - Middle of the road adventure game. Probably the nicest visuals from a Grundislav game, the story was kind of... hmmmrrr.. The main character is just an rear end in a top hat the entire game. There's also not much in the way of puzzles or thinking required, it's more about triggering events so that other locations will have the right NPCs show up to make progress. The debate concept is interesting but not fully fleshed out.

BEATEN: Proxy Blade Zero - A pretty cool game I got for 97 cents in the summer sale. Felt like a quirky PS2 game. A character action game where you're a robot slicing up other robots. Like most PlatinumGames titles, parrying plays a big role in the game. Nice thing is that difficulty level only seems to change how much damage enemies do to you, which is nice because it means you still have to learn how to play the game properly even on Easy to beat it.

BEATEN: Fire Emblem (GBA) - I enjoyed how brisk this game's battles were once I turned all the animations off and the game speed up. I'm not sure if I liked this or Advance Wars more. I think there's something to be said about Advance Wars' simplicity. I lost a lot of units in this game that for the final battle the only useful unit was Athos. I ended up having to cheese it. Oh well! Sometimes you have to crack a few dozen eggs to make an omelette.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

COMPLETED: Call of Duty IX: Black Ops II. Something of a mixed bag. I liked the introduction of optional side missions and the way you can make a few significant decisions yourself, but the plotline really is a trainwreck, even by Call of Duty's usual low standards. The actual gameplay is basically the same as previous CoDs.

PLAYED: King's Bounty: The Legend.
I played this for two hours, waiting for it to start being fun. Never happened, so I gave up on it.

PLAYED: Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising. The plot's a bit questionable, but I was enjoying this a lot, until two-thirds of the way through. I played a mission almost to the end, and I found a bug that meant I had to replay the whole 4+ hours of the level again from the beginning. All my desire to play the game immediately vanished like morning mist, and I uninstalled.

PLAYED: Clicker Heroes. These idle "make the numbers bigger" games keep me playing long after I stop having fun with them.

COMPLETED: Contrast. A wonderful little platformer, the mix of 2D and 3D platforming works so well; I loved it enough to 100% all the achievements. The visuals deserve a particular mention, both for the excellent use of shadows (sort of the whole point of the game) and the beautiful 1920's aesthetic. One major negative, though: it has the habit of hiding critical plot details in collectibles, so an already ambiguous storyline can become completely incomprehensible.

COMPLETED: Beyond Divinity. This game is terrible. Awful voice acting, a complete failure of a skill system, boring characters and plot, lifeless combat. If it wasn't from the same developer, you'd think it was a cheap knockoff of Divine Divinity. One of the worst RPGs I've ever played.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty X: Ghosts. The story is a complete failure from start to finish, to the point where it's a waste of time to list specific plot holes. The game is nothing *but* plot holes. It doesn't even have BOII's minor improvements to the single-player campaign to justify the horrifically bad writing, which leaves it with nothing but the same gunfights I've done a thousand times before in previous CoDs. Honestly though, Modern Warfare II was the high watermark of the CoD series, and since then it's all just been "more of the same". At this point, I'm pretty certain I won't be going anywhere near Black Ops III.

Next up: I'm going to play the shorter games I got in the Steam Sale. Speaking of which, I bought the Winter Voices complete pack; anyone play it? How long is it?

EightDeer fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 25, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Why did you finish Beyond Divinity? I gave it until the second chapter before deleting that poo poo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
BEAT: Proxy Blade Zero - Also got it for 97 cents, the price was totally right for a single playthrough but the game is too lacking in content and depth to buy it at higher price point.

BEAT: Devil May Cry - Hard as hell, this game is still a lot of fun. The camera angles can totally gently caress themselves at times, but the mechanics and controls are super tight. While I think the game reached its peak at the fight with Nelo Angelo on Mission 17, I still had a blast with the rest of it.

NULLED: Devil May Cry 2 - The difficulty is piss-easy, the art direction is bland, the game overall is really, really bad. Combos are hard to maintain, but it's not because the enemies are tough, it's because the enemies are made of paper, and Dante is a turtle. And it's not like you even need to get combos going to defeat anything, because the handguns are so strong you can literally just hold Square and, especially when in Devil Trigger, you'll just chew through everything, even a boss' health bar. It has a better engine, but everything else sucks rear end.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

al-azad posted:

Why did you finish Beyond Divinity? I gave it until the second chapter before deleting that poo poo.

I thought something in BD might end up being really significant in the rest of the Divinity games. It's why I forced myself to do every last sidequest.

I will say this in the game's favour though: Its soundtrack is a masterpiece, when it's not reusing music from Divine Divinity. It's way better than the game actually deserves.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

EightDeer posted:

Next up: I'm going to play the shorter games I got in the Steam Sale. Speaking of which, I bought the Winter Voices complete pack; anyone play it? How long is it?

Hard to tell but maybe around 5 hours per episode so not exactly short. I bought it, too, because I liked what I saw from the demo and can ignore the jank.

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
BEAT: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

I've never really played turn-based strategy before, but this game has made me a believer. Good poo poo!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
BEAT - LUFTRAUSERS - Blew up the blimp. Pretty enjoyable shooter, difficulty of the missions was a bit uneven but I got through a good chunk of them.

REFUNDED - Microsoft Flight Simulator X - Decided to get my money back from Steam rather than get a flight stick. Maybe next sale.

"BEAT" - Cities: Skylines - Put about 7 hours into it, grew a city from nothing up to a threshold where I felt satisfied (Small City). I plan to play some more of this in the future.

NULLED - Infested Planet - Didn't really like it. Played like a Newgrounds flash game, with presentation to match. I think I got this as a gift at some point.

NULLED - Lovely Planet I can see this game being fun, but it doesn't really seem like it's for me. I might give it another try in the future, but for now I'm kicking it to the back of the line.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Another quick update.

COMPLETE - A Bird Story
poo poo. They made a story game, didn't have enough story, so they just made it slow as balls. Also forgot to add any gameplay, so you're basically watching a bad movie made with RPGMaker. In the devs defence, it looks like they realised that they're skirting the definition of what a game is, and have a no questions asked refund policy in place.

NULLED - Roogoo
Lost my saves, not going to restart.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
NULLED: 1953 - KGB Unleashed - Point-and-click adventure game with no indication of what is clickable so you just go "click click click" over the whole screen until you find something, bah.

NULLED: Dungeonland - Co-op game.

NULLED: Last Knight: Rogue Rider - You get to be a knight and hit things with your joust and it's not nearly as fun as it sounds.

COMPLETE - XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within - Awesome game, current playing it a second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: The Legend of Korra - I don't agree that this is a mediocre PlatinumGames game, I think that it is definitely constrained by the low budget however. There is a real lack of variety in enemy types, although the enemy types that exist all require you to keep adjusting your style on the fly. Countering/parrying results in a quick QTE, that I wasn't as much a fan of. But I was a fan of how loving fast Korra runs and punches. In defense of the game, it's based on the first two seasons of a TV show that had a lack of variety in enemy types. I mean everything comes from the show, the Triads, Asami's robots, the Equalists, etc. But they couldn't just create a new faction apparently, or maybe Nickelodeon said no, who knows. Something Nickelodeon clearly did tell them was "Temple Run is popular with the kids! Let's have Temple Run segments!" Not sure what that was about.

BEATEN: Out There Somewhere - It was 19 cents and an hour long but it was actually a relatively decent puzzle platformer. They probably could do a sequel with a lot more mechanics to it and beef it up.

BEATEN: Oceanhorn - It's a 3D Zelda on Steam! Okay so the best Zelda clone is still 3D Dot Game Heroes, and Oceanhorn doesn't dethrone that title, with its janky combat & animations (the cutscenes are hilariously low budget), but here's what it does do. It's a believable game world, the isometric camera works great for this, there's lots of challenges to do that give you experience points, the items are very Zelda from bow & arrow to jump boots to fire wand, etc, plenty of bosses, surprisingly large temples. The game has an overworld that would give you Wind Waker vibes but I would compare it more to Phantom Hourglass because you don't control the boat, but instead shoot the gun on the boat at enemies as it sails to a location by itself. Locations are interesting because you 'learn' about them and that makes them appear on the world map. There's several completely optional islands, a couple of which even have little dungeons, so it's worth checking them out. You can get up to 5 different spells, 4 of which are completely optional, just from exploring. There are also heart containers and pieces of hearts, because why wouldn't there be, this isn't even trying NOT to be Zelda. But you're never going to get an actual Zelda on PC aside from Zelda Classic, and Anodyne just ain't Zelda, it's not. This is as close as you're gonna get, so you'll have to live with some of the jank associated with being a mobile phone port.