Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mido posted:

lmbo i wanna know more, pls jony

bill shockley was a dick

quote:

Late in his life, Shockley became intensely interested in questions of race, human intelligence, and eugenics. He thought this work was important to the genetic future of the human species and came to describe it as the most important work of his career, even though expressing his views damaged his reputation. Shockley argued that a higher rate of reproduction among the less intelligent was having a dysgenic effect, and that a drop in average intelligence would ultimately lead to a decline in civilization. Shockley's published writings and lectures to scientific organizations on this topic were partly based on the writings of psychologist Cyril Burt and were funded by the Pioneer Fund. Shockley also proposed that individuals with IQs below 100 be paid to undergo voluntary sterilization.

One of SV's founders, ladies and gents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shockley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jonny 290 posted:

bill shockley was a dick

oh good i was worried it was gonna be Bardeen. whew

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

not sure why eugenics weirdos somehow think this moment in time is any different than any since the dawn of civilization

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

not sure why eugenics weirdos somehow think this moment in time is any different than any since the dawn of civilization

what's worse, american exceptionalism or present-times exceptionalism?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"why are these unsuccessful people having so many kids???" - sargon of akkad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
kids these days and their foul language!

*archaeologists unearth pictures of dicks scrawled on Pompeian bathrooms*

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

kids these days and their foul language!

*archaeologists unearth pictures of dicks scrawled on Pompeian bathrooms*

i know this is what you're referring to but here it is in case anybody's not seen the glory of this http://www.pompeiana.org/resources/ancient/graffiti%20from%20pompeii.htm

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Waroduce posted:

Not really sure where to ask, but

Can anyone please recommend some good books about Microsoft, Silicon Valley or the first (or current) tech bubble? I dont mean like a Bill Gates or Stebe biography, although I may read a Bill one, but like a history about their business or how they built their empires.

I was recommended Opening The Xbox for example as a cool look into designing the og xbox
it's not really directly any of the things you asked for, but The Soul of a New Machine feels like it might be of interest. it's also probably the yosposest book i've ever read.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SoaNM is amazing.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

apparently people are shorting biotech stocks now? is that a thing? I figured biotech stocks would be better seeing as how they had actual products

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bassguitarhero posted:

apparently people are shorting biotech stocks now? is that a thing? I figured biotech stocks would be better seeing as how they had actual products

biotech is godzilla

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Subjunctive posted:

SoaNM is amazing.

agreedo

bassguitarhero posted:

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

bill shockley was a dick

man the early drafts of idiocracy were grim

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also the guy that plays the husband was the temporary hooli[xyz] lead and that was worth a nice chuckle

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

bill shockley was a dick

pretty sure there's a wikipedia category for old nobel prize winners with crackpot theories outside their awarded area

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

helter skelter

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

bill shockley was a dick

There are so many eugenics creeps in American history that we don't like to discuss.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

kdrudy posted:

There are so many eugenics creeps in American history that we don't like to discuss.

or people who think that food other than corn causes you to masturbate

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

qirex posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Waroduce posted:

Not really sure where to ask, but

Can anyone please recommend some good books about Microsoft, Silicon Valley or the first (or current) tech bubble? I dont mean like a Bill Gates or Stebe biography, although I may read a Bill one, but like a history about their business or how they built their empires.

I was recommended Opening The Xbox for example as a cool look into designing the og xbox

all watched over by machines of loving grace (by Adam Curtis)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

grats carly, top 5 in new hampshire

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

fuckin trump

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

yeah wtf

maybe they think it's like voting for mickeymouse because he can not be real

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

NH is like rich white person central so

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
but not smart rich white person apparently

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i desperately hope trump wins

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
trump vs. sanders..... the final showdowne

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tbh if someone was polling me for the republican primary i'd answer trump because why the gently caress not, we need him in the debates :getin:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

tbh if someone was polling me for the republican primary i'd answer trump because why the gently caress not, we need him in the debates :getin:

i think those were registered republicans though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

isn't this the poll that ron paul won by 40% for 20 years

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

syscall girl posted:

yeah wtf

maybe they think it's like voting for mickeymouse because he can not be real

the only part of trump's entire business that isn't a complete money-bleeding failure is convincing people that he is so widely known to be smart and successful that just slapping his name on the front of your building will make your business more popular. of course he's going to perform well, at least until the media starts listing off his numerous business failures on the evening news

he can't survive a real election cycle where the media starts publicizing his actual history, but this early in, he can still build a strong showing on the backs of people who know nothing about him except that he's a wealthy real estate tycoon who's always talking about how successful he is - and if he wasnt successful, why would he be so rich? (because he inherited a fortune and made sure to make other people pay for his failures)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

trump/fiorina

trump can declare bankruptcy to wipe out the debt then carly can resign for a nice GDP boost

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

trump/fiorina

trump can declare bankruptcy to wipe out the debt then carly can resign for a nice GDP boost

i wish i could fail that hard and land on a cushion of money

take familial wealth or a huge corporation and just wreck them and somehow get credit for it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

guess we nee to take trump seriously as representativ eof the republican party.

the first debate is going to be hilarious.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
is that ron or rand paul

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

all i see is

Paul
Walker

:smith:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

be sure to remember how hilarious that debate was when jeb! is elected because trump made him look sane, reasonable, and competent by comparison

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
the first 2 debates are going to be in august and september and each will be the 10 candidates who poll best nationally among registered republicans, with 10 candidates there won't be a lot of time for some serious crazy but we can hope that the crazy that is spouted is nice and concentrated.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fermun posted:

the first 2 debates are going to be in august and september and each will be the 10 candidates who poll best nationally among registered republicans, with 10 candidates there won't be a lot of time for some serious crazy but we can hope that the crazy that is spouted is nice and concentrated.

the craziness will be having 10 people on stage at once

and then a supplemental debate afterwards for the people that couldn't make the cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

fermun posted:

are you kidding? since each candidate is going to have such limited screen time they are all going to try and pack the maximum lunacy into their little 30-second spots if only so they can stick out from the crowd

this is gonna own so hard

• Locked thread